Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1697356 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13035 on: September 09, 2013, 04:42:50 AM »
I'm craving PICKLES (and no, definitely not pregnant).  In the past week I've eaten nearly two jars of them.  I had an appointment with the doc recently and was basically told to eat them to my heart's content along with tomatoes, avocados and bananas.  It's really hot here right now and apparently I'm just not getting enough salt or potassium for my fluid/sweat loss...I'm getting enough fluids because I usually drink 3L liters a day (side effect of my asthma/allergy meds...makes me very thirsty).

I rarely add salt to anything, but as I'm sitting here, I'm drinking chicken broth that I added extra salt and salt substitute/potassium chloride.  Normally, I don't break 1000mg for salt per day, but I've probably had three times that today.

Unless this craving stops, I'm going to have to go back to the store for more pickles tomorrow..  I came really close to drinking the dingdangity juice.

I went through several salt-craving episodes when I was in university the first time; dunno exactly why, but hoo boy I wanted it! I was very happy when I worked out a way to get extra salt that also fixed another minor problem I had.

Y'see, if you were eating hot chips or anything else finger-food-y in the refectory, anybody walking past who could claim even the slightest acquaintance with you would say "Hi!" and grab a few. You were guaranteed to lose at least a third of your food unless you were willing to defend it with poised cutlery and gain a reputation as 'stingy' and 'mean'. ::) (No, seriously, I was just POOR.) However, after I started drenching them with salt, vinegar, and enough soy sauce to dye them black and leave an inch of liquid in the bottom of the paper cup (which I would then drink, yummmm), strangely nobody stole my chips any more... >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13036 on: September 09, 2013, 07:45:27 AM »
I completely understand that.  I'm also a pickle freak.  Did you know that Napoleon and Cleopatra also were?

I did not know that.  Interesting. 

I did finish the jar I was working on last night.  I'm going to get more, but at least the salt craving seems to have eased up a bit. I guess my body's electrolytes are close to being in balance now.  I should probably pick up a few bottles of Powerade with the pickles just to be on the safe side...I find that when I need the extra electrolytes Powerade taste divine, any other time it's just really nasty.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13037 on: September 09, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »
Apparently showing your butt in public - sorry, I mean ~rocking the underbutt~ - now counts as fashionable 

http://quemas.mamaslatinas.com/style/117015/7_celebs_show_us_how
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:14:23 AM by TeamBhakta »

Pen^2

« Reply #13038 on: September 09, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »
Apparently showing your butt in pubic - sorry, I mean ~rocking the underbutt~ - now counts as fashionable 

No. Just no.

Worse are the shorts I've been seeing this past year or so: cut short enough to make the backside quite visible, but with the pockets still perfectly intact so that you have these two silly-looking bits of fabric flanking the outer sides of your overexposed legs. It looks like something terrible happened to the shorts, rather than being remotely aesthetic. And a lot of the time the pockets don't even function--they don't even have a practical reason for looking stupid.

I would like to say some very uncharitable things to whomever came up with this damnable fad. I do not want to see half an exposed glutius maximus cheek of a complete stranger, and it's hard to avert my gaze when I'm surrounded by people who have apparently taken leave of their good sense.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13039 on: September 09, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
Tomorrow is the  primary election here in NYC and there are tight races in both major parties. All weekend, our phone has been ringing off the hook. 

We know they're political calls and don't answer but it's still annoying. 

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #13040 on: September 09, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »
DD loves the book "Pat the Bunny."  It's one of her favorites.  In fact, she loves it too much.  She got her hands on it and destroyed the center of the cardboard spine holding the plastic comb binding in place.  (Why the heck do they make a beloved infant book that flimsy, anyway?  >:()

So I just spent the last fifteen minutes with tape and a letter opener trying to Macguyver a new binding on it.  It looks terrible, but if I can keep it out of her reach maybe it'll hold out until I can get around to ordering a new copy.  Maybe I should buy several.  Ugh.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #13041 on: September 09, 2013, 08:45:34 PM »
Tomorrow is the  primary election here in NYC and there are tight races in both major parties. All weekend, our phone has been ringing off the hook. 

We know they're political calls and don't answer but it's still annoying.

I've only gotten half a dozen of those calls this year.

But it's half a dozen more than I should have gotten. I don't live in New York State, and the robocalls are coming in on my new landline, with a Washington area code, meaning that one or more political organizations somehow tracked us down here but didn't notice the area code, or even that we probably don't live in the same city council district anymore. (I can sort of see the ones for mayor—about half the population of the state lives in NYC—but city council? Yes, I like my old city council member, but it would be a felony for me to vote for him.)

As far as I know, the Board of Elections gets address changes when voters move within the state and tell them about it. They obviously aren't getting them from other state governments. If I'm lucky, they talk to Taxation and Finance, and will notice some time after we file state taxes from the new address.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13042 on: September 09, 2013, 08:48:14 PM »
Apparently showing your butt in pubic - sorry, I mean ~rocking the underbutt~ - now counts as fashionable 

No. Just no.

Worse are the shorts I've been seeing this past year or so: cut short enough to make the backside quite visible, but with the pockets still perfectly intact so that you have these two silly-looking bits of fabric flanking the outer sides of your overexposed legs. It looks like something terrible happened to the shorts, rather than being remotely aesthetic. And a lot of the time the pockets don't even function--they don't even have a practical reason for looking stupid.

I would like to say some very uncharitable things to whomever came up with this damnable fad. I do not want to see half an exposed glutius maximus cheek of a complete stranger, and it's hard to avert my gaze when I'm surrounded by people who have apparently taken leave of their good sense.

When my parents had an indoor yard sales years ago, one shopper was dressed like that. Her frilly underwear was several inches longer than than her shorts. She is still snickered about in my family, and that was almost 20 years ago.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13043 on: September 09, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »

No. Just no.

When my parents had an indoor yard sales years ago, one shopper was dressed like that. Her frilly underwear was several inches longer than than her shorts. She is still snickered about in my family, and that was almost 20 years ago.

It'd hardly a new fad, but I agree, it's a bad one.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

snowfire

« Reply #13044 on: September 09, 2013, 09:13:19 PM »
And the double fashion felony of shorts THAT short and super low rise on top.  Pass the brain bleach...

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13045 on: September 09, 2013, 09:32:59 PM »
I've seen this look in my area and it looks good on no-one. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

squeakers

« Reply #13046 on: September 09, 2013, 09:54:22 PM »
Depends on who's rocking that look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTGcEL_aoMk
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

PA Mom

« Reply #13047 on: September 09, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »

Loooong time lurker here, first time poster. But your typo of pubic versus public in this context made me come out of lurking and laugh out loud. The dog was quite startled!

Pen^2

« Reply #13048 on: September 09, 2013, 11:27:48 PM »
Oh my--I hadn't noticed the typo! How unfortunately appropriate! ;D

And welcome, PA Mom!

cabbageweevil

« Reply #13049 on: September 10, 2013, 06:54:33 AM »
I completely understand that.  I'm also a pickle freak.  Did you know that Napoleon and Cleopatra also were?

I gather that for most of his life, Napoleon was a martyr to severe stomach trouble.  The above, has me wondering about cause and effect -- did he find that the pickles helped, or did he have the problem because of his over-indulging in them?