Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1307740 times)

perpetua

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13095 on: September 12, 2013, 11:11:05 AM »
That's why UK driving lessons include hill starts, most cars here are manual.

Yes - reading this thread I was really surprised that there are people who don't know how to start on a hill without rolling back - it's one of the first things we learn and it's part of our practical driving test so you have to demonstrate you can do it before they'll give you a licence. Handbrake on, let the clutch out to the biting point with the gas on, handbrake off, off you go. I don't think I've ever rolled back on a hill in 20+ years of driving a manual. I also appreciate though that many US people seem to learn with their parents and not through a driving school with an instructor, which is something else that puzzles me but there you go.

Top of my list of things that are driving me up the wall today: Fair weather friends.

I am not in the US and I learnt to drive through a driving school with an instructor.  I also did a driving test in a manual car that included hill starts.  So be surprised and puzzled if you must but I still find that cars running right up my back end on extremely steep hills drives me up the wall.  It's not that I "don't know how to start on a hill" and I don't see what your supposedly superior driving skills have to do with the subject of this thread.

I never said they were superior, but really, one should be able to start on a hill without rolling backwards if one is to be safe driver. I also find your post rather offensive and snarky. Simply commenting on a difference in learning methods, that's all. As for what it has to do with the thread, I was responding to several other posts on the same subject, so I'm not sure what your complaint is, exactly.

ishka

« Reply #13096 on: September 12, 2013, 11:16:27 AM »

[/quote]

I also find your post rather offensive and snarky.
[/quote]

You're right, it was snarky.  I apologise.

Xandraea

« Reply #13097 on: September 12, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
It drove me up the wall that I couldn't get a manual transmission for most of the vehicles I was looking at recently!  I ended up buying the only one in the class that had one.  I did look at another style of vehicle that also had a stick but decided against it for other reasons.

Next time I go to buy a vehicle, I doubt I'll be able to get a stick in the vehicle I want, with all the features I want.  If I was willing to go for the bare bones base model, I could probably get a stick.  But I want some bells and whistles, dang it!

On a similar note, getting the features you want is a puzzle. Seemingly unrelated features come as package deals so you can't get one without the other.  Long ago when cassettes were being phased out by CDs, I got my first car that came with a CD player. The package that included the moonroof and tinted windows that I wanted came with a built-in cassette player, which they couldn't wouldn't leave out.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13098 on: September 12, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »
^Yup.  I added the package that had all the stuff I wanted, a few things I didn't really care about and one thing I definitely didn't want but there was no way to exclude it.  And I've already damaged the vehicle because of it and my menopausal brain.

(It's a moonroof that I had open in the garage to air out the car.  Next day, jumped in, closed the moonroof and took off, forgetting that the styrofoam ball I had hanging from the ceiling to position my previous vehicle was hanging in through the moonroof.  The metal hook in the ceiling pinged off the roof in two spots and the string put a line across the front of the roof.  They were able to buff out the string line but I still have two little paint chips.  I hadn't even had it 24 hours at that point.   ::))
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

nuit93

« Reply #13099 on: September 12, 2013, 12:05:03 PM »
Heck, even in an automatic you can have roll back.  There's a very small, but steepish hill  I have to go up and down every day.  Many cars roll back several inches to a foot or two depending on their size.  Everyone in town knows you leave at least 1/4 car length between you and the vehicle in front of you and a whole car length if it's a big bacon-fed knave truck.

ETA: To top it off there is a red light at the top of it.  I have no idea whose genius idea that was.

There's a few hills in Seattle I avoid outright (even in my old, automatic transmission car) because of roll back and people not giving a proper amount of space.  Add rain to the equation and it's a nightmare.

Xandraea

« Reply #13100 on: September 12, 2013, 01:20:33 PM »
Heck, even in an automatic you can have roll back.  There's a very small, but steepish hill  I have to go up and down every day.  Many cars roll back several inches to a foot or two depending on their size.  Everyone in town knows you leave at least 1/4 car length between you and the vehicle in front of you and a whole car length if it's a big bacon-fed knave truck.

ETA: To top it off there is a red light at the top of it.  I have no idea whose genius idea that was.

There's a few hills in Seattle I avoid outright (even in my old, automatic transmission car) because of roll back and people not giving a proper amount of space.  Add rain to the equation and it's a nightmare.

I learned long ago that when stopping behind another vehicle, you should be able to see the vehicle's tires hitting the ground. This ensures a buffer of space in case car 2 is rear-ended they don't automatically hit car 1. Stopping like this would also leave the necessary roll-back allowance. The only reason I pull closer than that to a vehicle in front of me is during busy traffic when I thought I'd get through an intersection, then traffic in front of me stops and my car's back end is not quite out of the intersection.  I don't want to block the intersection so I'll get closer to the vehicle in front of me and pray the light ahead turns green so we can all move. I only do this on flat ground, not on a slant.

Another city, built on a steep hill, in the north where for months there is snow and ice. Stop signs in the middle of hills at cross-streets (which are flat). Prayer that one doesn't slide all the way back down the hill.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13101 on: September 12, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »
When the perception of clothing colors change due to the light. Two days in a row.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #13102 on: September 12, 2013, 02:21:15 PM »
When the perception of clothing colors change due to the light. Two days in a row.

And I end up discovering my socks don't match, just at the moment it's too late to go back and change them!

Emmy

« Reply #13103 on: September 12, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »
I was reading a book about healthy living and in the losing weight chapter they said "set realistic goals" and went on to describe ideal weights.  The book said a 5'5 woman of average build should weigh 120 lbs.  That seems pretty unrealistic to me.  I am just under 5'5 and I get told I look too thin if I weigh under 125.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #13104 on: September 12, 2013, 02:54:31 PM »
I know.  I bought some sari silk at an outdoor market.  In natural light, it's a deep, rich burgundy.  Under artificial lights, it's brown.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #13105 on: September 12, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »
I once bought what I thought were beige work trousers.  When I got them home, my husband said "Oh, what an interesting shade of green!"  Sure enough, they were definitely green in certain light.  I was very bummed.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13106 on: September 12, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »
Yesterday's top was royal blue at home and purple at work, cobalt in natural light. I wore blue accessories.

Today's is garnet red at home, and dark magenta at work. I wore garnet jewelry.

Tomorrow's shirt is a print and if the color changes, it won't matter!

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #13107 on: September 12, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »

And I end up discovering my socks don't match, just at the moment it's too late to go back and change them!

Socks? Hah! In the days when I owned a sports car (pre-children), I used to drive in flat shoes and carry heels to wear at work. Got to work one day and discovered that my good shoes weren't a pair. Left and right, which was a promising start, both black courts which helped, no noticeable pattern so probably nobody but me would have noticed but... half an inch difference in the heel size. Just enough that I lurched all day, like a supermarket trolley with a wobbly wheel.

Ok. Something that drives me nuts. I know it's unreasonable and I never say anything out loud about it, but I don't mind telling you. Caitlin. Anybody here called Caitlin? As a name it's become very popular since about the mid-70s. And I know, I have to give in on this: nowadays it's pronounced Kate-Lynn.

The original name is pronounced Kathleen.  Please, please, if you want to call your daughter Kate-Lynn, spell it Kate-Lynn. I mean, I've met a Shevaun, and I have no trouble with that,  and I know several women called Siobhan which is the original spelling of the same name, but I've never met one who pronounces it See-Ob-Han, so why does Caitlin become Kate-Lynn?

I know, I know, nobody is going to agree with me, I just have to get over it. But I think it's silly. I'm allowed to think so as long as I don't say it out loud, right?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13108 on: September 12, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »
Ugh, another thunderstorm missed us. :P I love thunderstorms but the mountains often will break them up and send them right past us. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13109 on: September 12, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »

That happened to me.  It's really embarrassing when you take off shoes at airport security and realize one sock is red and the other is hot pink.