Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1678938 times)

nayberry

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13140 on: September 15, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »
when my mum tells me not to take medication that my doctor has prescribed.  when she asks when we are having children. when she moans that my brother and his gf eloped

mmswm

« Reply #13141 on: September 15, 2013, 07:27:28 PM »
Along the lines of people who self-diagnose: People who are not doctors and diagnose others.

According to my mother, two of my kids are autistic and I'm bi-polar.  She told this to my therapist, who told me later that it took all her self control not to laugh in her face.

My mother would do that sort of thing too.  Many years ago she was determined to diagnose me with something because she was certain there just had to be something wrong with me.  First I was bipolar, then I was OCD, then I had Aspergers.  She was so embarrassed that I wasn't what she considered to be "normal" and always was a square peg/free spirit, so I suspect she wanted to be able to say "Oh don't mind Pirate, she has X diagnosis" to write off any behaviors she deemed as "odd".   ::)

Are we sure you're not my long lost sister?  Between this and other things you've posted, I'm fairly certain we have the same mother.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #13142 on: September 15, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »
The world's smallest woman (20 years old) was on Inside Edition tonight. She was being carried around by a friend because she can't walk very far. One tourist shook her tiny hand and said in a baby tone "Aww, that's so sweet." Oy vey....

I already get my back up about ridiculous things like that, and I'm 5'2"-ish. I imagine that she's gotten comments a lot more and a lot worse than I have; I would have a very hard time not smarting-off to people like that. I do think it's awesome that she felt brave enough to get on television in front of a bunch of people and cameras, though. I could never do that.

Related to that, I've told this story before, but that story just reminded me of this one. Basically, a cashier was checking my stuff; keep in mind, I'm wearing college gear, have said I'm going to UndergradU, and am buying alcohol. The person says, "Oh you look so young. You could help cops catch pedophiles! (colored for triggery stuff)

I can't believe some people. I really can't. Even ignoring the danger people who do that put themselves in, who thinks that kind of thing is okay to say to someone? I guess it's kinda nice that the person thought I'd be good at fighting crime, but I was full of so many emotions that I just didn't speak to the cashier during the rest of the transaction. To say that I was angry was a bit of an understatement.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

mmswm

« Reply #13143 on: September 15, 2013, 07:40:25 PM »
It takes a special kind of person to work those sorts of undercover ops.  I can't imagine saying something like that so casually.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

PeterM

« Reply #13144 on: September 15, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »
When people throw money especially change down on the counter (I'm a clerk) and then proceed to stick their hand almost up my nose so I will put their change in their hand. Little thing, I know.  :P

Those types of folks get to me at the library, too. There are plenty of people who are polite about not wanting to touch - they place their money or card on the counter and slide it over. I'll do the same to return their card or change, no sweat.

Then there's the guy who held his card out as if to hand it to me, then ostentatiously dropped it onto the counter just before my fingers got close enough to take it. He then tried to stare me down with what I would imagine he thought was an imposing glare.

I couldn't help it, I laughed in his face.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13145 on: September 15, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »
My phone. randomly, if i don't hit the app I want to open just right, it creates a shortcut icon. for stuff i don't want or need. so i finally decided to google the issue, and don't you know, you have to uncheck create auto-widgets in the play store.  I hate things like that. I'd rather opt IN , than have to opt OUT. hoping that solves my issue

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #13146 on: September 15, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »
When people throw money especially change down on the counter (I'm a clerk) and then proceed to stick their hand almost up my nose so I will put their change in their hand. Little thing, I know.  :P
I have fine motor problems combo of my LD/Crossover/Skin Condition. Sometimes I put my money down on the counter because I can't count it, hand hold my wallet at the the same time. The vast majority of the time the person I'm paying gets I've having  trouble. Every once in a while someone will snatch it up and give me a look. Also I don't give people change generally for the same reason - it just takes me so long to count out. In part because I can't tell a coin by feel if my skin condition is flaired up - because all I feel is itching/pain.

On a similar note people telling "Just don't scratch" now why didn't I think of that. What you call an itch and what I call an itch are vastly different things. (Think headache compared to  migraine) As a child I would would pour bottles of rubbing alcohol or peroxide over completely raw skin - I couldn't be left unsupervised in the bath or shower because I would turn the taps to full hot*. Those sensations were less painful than the itch.

*Our water heater at home was kept at a safer temp - but hotels/swim club/sleep overs were a different matter.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13147 on: September 15, 2013, 10:16:57 PM »

On a similar note people telling "Just don't scratch" now why didn't I think of that. What you call an itch and what I call an itch are vastly different things. (Think headache compared to  migraine) As a child I would would pour bottles of rubbing alcohol or peroxide over completely raw skin - I couldn't be left unsupervised in the bath or shower because I would turn the taps to full hot*. Those sensations were less painful than the itch.

*Our water heater at home was kept at a safer temp - but hotels/swim club/sleep overs were a different matter.

ooh no fun. I have mildly itchy episodes during allergy season, so I can't even imagine what you go through. My bff from college has bad skin issues as well, and she has times where she wants to claw her skin off.

perpetua

« Reply #13148 on: September 15, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »
People who self-diagnose and exaggerate in order to excuse their behavior.  DH has a cousin who insists that he has 'migraines' and uses them to excuse him being an utter jerk or get out of doing things he doesn't want to do.  However, when he has a 'migraine', he's able to spend hours online playing games, watching movies, etc.  Bad headache?  Sure.  But he's never been to a doctor to get a real diagnosis.  His latest announcement was that he has Asperger's, again totally self diagnosed after several people confronted him on his unpleasant and unsportsmanlike behavior during several D&D sessions.

What makes me nuts about this is that I know there are people who really suffer with various conditions, who have no choice and no control over them; for him to use the diagnoses to get out of taking responsibility for himself seems like a slap in the face to them.

This man has no idea what a migraine feels like. I spend hours a day online gaming or reading Ehell, but on the (thankfully rare) occasion I have a migraine, it hurts to sit/stand, light hurts, and I feel nauseous if I move too fast. Last week I literally pulled a blanket over my eyes, curled up around my puppy and ended up taking a nap for over an hour.  Woke up feeling better.

May I just point out that not all migraines are created equal and that people suffer them in different ways? I'm on my third day of a migraine now (very much diagnosed) and aside from sleeping off the very worst of it at the start I've been able to function (albeit at a reduced level) since and here I am reading EH at 3 in the morning... Sometimes I find doing something can actively help the pain.

That doesn't mean of course that your friend isn't exaggerating to be a jerk, but I see a lot of "this person can't possibly have a migraine if they're not screaming in a dark room" posts round here and it just isn't the case.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13149 on: September 15, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »

ooh no fun. I have mildly itchy episodes during allergy season, so I can't even imagine what you go through. My bff from college has bad skin issues as well, and she has times where she wants to claw her skin off.

I completely understand. Lucas has a skin condition he has lived with all of his life. It is hell sometimes. I run into poison ivy every couple of years - and sometimes I do tear my skin off and pour alcohol on because the pain is so much better than the itching.

Often, the unsolicited advice is almost as bad as the itching and as constant for both of us. Good reasons for each of us to be up the wall twice. (At least mine goes away in a few weeks. Poor Lucas.   :'( )

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #13150 on: September 15, 2013, 11:16:05 PM »
I just want to say...

ANTS.

I was late to work this morning because the darn insects decided to invade my Cheerios box and I had to track them to their entry point and clean up the mess after spraying in the necessary crack under the windowsill. I had to nibble a cereal bar in the car.

I still feel as if ants are all over my skin, however they aren't. Now I am paranoid about another invasion. It's always this time of year. They WILL return and it's just a matter of when. I can't leave ANYTHING exposed or they will get into it!

ETA: Oh, wow, this is my 100th post!

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

Cherry91

« Reply #13151 on: September 16, 2013, 05:59:50 AM »
I just want to say...

ANTS.

I was late to work this morning because the darn insects decided to invade my Cheerios box and I had to track them to their entry point and clean up the mess after spraying in the necessary crack under the windowsill. I had to nibble a cereal bar in the car.

I still feel as if ants are all over my skin, however they aren't. Now I am paranoid about another invasion. It's always this time of year. They WILL return and it's just a matter of when. I can't leave ANYTHING exposed or they will get into it!

ETA: Oh, wow, this is my 100th post!

This. I can stand pretty much any other insect within reason, even spiders, but put me near ants and I will FREAK. OUT.

When I was still working in a cafe, ants somehow managed to make a nest in one of the plantpots (we think it started off outside, then was brought inside when the weather got colder). The second we realised, we knew we had to get rid of the plantpot for health and safety reasons. When my manager asked me to pick up the pot, the pot that contained an ants nest, I nearly cried. I think I went slightly green, because he almost instantly changed his mind and said he'd do it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13152 on: September 16, 2013, 06:59:06 AM »
Along the lines of people who self-diagnose: People who are not doctors and diagnose others.

According to my mother, two of my kids are autistic and I'm bi-polar.  She told this to my therapist, who told me later that it took all her self control not to laugh in her face.

My mother would do that sort of thing too.  Many years ago she was determined to diagnose me with something because she was certain there just had to be something wrong with me.  First I was bipolar, then I was OCD, then I had Aspergers.  She was so embarrassed that I wasn't what she considered to be "normal" and always was a square peg/free spirit, so I suspect she wanted to be able to say "Oh don't mind Pirate, she has X diagnosis" to write off any behaviors she deemed as "odd".   ::)

Are we sure you're not my long lost sister?  Between this and other things you've posted, I'm fairly certain we have the same mother.

Anything's possible! LOL! Hi sis! ;)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Cami

« Reply #13153 on: September 16, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »
Being picky about unimportant details and making other people miserable as a result of your own pecadillos: Edition: My wedding.

This story is one of my favorite "Gotcha" with my mother's critical nature. When I got married, she was determined that I had to go to a certain shop, "Borgias".  She had bought her mother of the bride gown at Borgias.  I told her I was not going to Borgias because everyone I knew who bought a gown there had problems with it arriving on time and lousy customer service (I truly have no idea how they stayed in business as long as they did).  Also, my parents were paying for my wedding and had given me $200 total for gown/shoes/veil -- which was totally inadequate to begin with -- and Borgias was very expensive and therefore I couldn't afford Borgias.

Major fight ensued. She also had a particular style in mind for my gown that was not going to happen. So another fight ensued, "But that's the only REAL wedding gown style!" Yaddayaddayadda. I went to Another Store and bought the gown I wanted, mostly with my own money. Cue my mother's negative comments for MONTHS about, "I can't believe you didn't go to Borgias! I got my mother of the bride gown there! What will people think if you don't get your gown there?" To which at one point, I retorted, "That YOU are cheap?"

Fast forward to two days before my wedding when my father calls me. My father on the phone is cause for great alarm because up to this point, he had NEVER called me on the phone before. He hurriedly and in a whisper tells me that. "You were right about Borgias. Your wedding is on Saturday and your mother's gown is not in and they don't seem to care. Your mother is freaking. Bye!" My mother calls a minute later and announces that we have to cancel MY wedding because HER gown is not in. "Yeah, not going to happen, Mom. YOU were the one who insisted upon going to Borgias even though I told you of their reputation. This is your problem and your problem is not going to stop MY wedding."   It's not charitable of me, but wow, did I enjoy that moment.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:30:35 PM by Cami »

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #13154 on: September 16, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »
...My mother calls a minute later and announces that we have to cancel MY wedding because HER gown is not in.

Whaaaaaaaaat?!  :o