Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1562677 times)

jilly

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13320 on: October 03, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »
Trying to get into my sports bra in the ladies at work. You need to be really flexible to do it up and space to be flexible in, I had to stand diagonally in the cubical so I had elbow room  >:( 

Dr. F.

« Reply #13321 on: October 03, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »
The fact that AAA uses your area code to determine where you are and sends you to that regional office. This may have worked back when everyone was using a landline and so, the area code really was where you were. Nowadays, of course, the area code on a cell phone likely has NOTHING WHATEVER to do with where you are.

I managed to lock myself out of my car for the first time in about 10 years the other weekend. I'm in Virginia, my cell phone still has my number from Los Angeles. I called AAA to come let me into my car. Got put on hold for 20 minutes. A nice woman comes on the line, gets my member #, car info, etc. etc. and finally asks what city I'm in. I tell her. She gets all confused and we go back and forth in a completely non-productive conversation for about another 5 minutes, before I finally say that I'm in My City VIRGINIA. Oh! she says, this is the Southern California office, you want Mid-Atlantic. I'll transfer you.

So I spend another 20 minutes on hold before getting the nice person in the Mid-Atlantic office and they managed to send out a locksmith for me, who then made a number of fairly offensive sexist/racist comments to me while opening my car.

Fortunately, there was a restaurant next-door, so I was able to have lunch while waiting around. The whole incident took about an hour and a half from the time I realized I'd locked myself out.

Cherry91

« Reply #13322 on: October 03, 2013, 06:40:40 PM »
Along the lines of the annoying news interruptions during normal programming. But not worthy of its own thread.  Why must so many channels a. place their logo on the screen at all times, or b. flash something for an upcoming show, special, or what have you? Especially when the show you're watching may have subtitles, such as showing who someone is, or something like that. And whatever the station is flashing covers up what you're trying to see!

I know I'm watching Discovery or whatever channel it may be, you don't need to remind of it all the time!

I think internet piracy is a big culprit here - people recording the show and putting it online. Putting a watermark on things like that makes illegal activity easier to track (ie, makes it harder to claim it was received from a legit source)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #13323 on: October 03, 2013, 08:01:34 PM »
What's driving me up the wall today? The fact that I am apparently looking for something that does not exist. My daddy wants a Peterbilt truck logo patch to sew onto a baby onesie for a gift. I can find ANYTHING on the internets, why can I not find this? ???  I have found plenty of sites who SAY they have what I want, but when I click on it, it is "item not found". GRRRRR. ::)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13324 on: October 03, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
What's driving me up the wall today? The fact that I am apparently looking for something that does not exist. My daddy wants a Peterbilt truck logo patch to sew onto a baby onesie for a gift. I can find ANYTHING on the internets, why can I not find this? ???  I have found plenty of sites who SAY they have what I want, but when I click on it, it is "item not found". GRRRRR. ::)

There is a kiosk in our mall that does embroidery.  They can look up a photo or logo on the internet or you can bring them in a pic.  They upload the image  and embroidery on any garment, hat, or bag you want.  You might have someone near you who does this at a mall or flea market.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

diesel_darlin

« Reply #13325 on: October 03, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »

There is a kiosk in our mall that does embroidery.  They can look up a photo or logo on the internet or you can bring them in a pic.  They upload the image  and embroidery on any garment, hat, or bag you want.  You might have someone near you who does this at a mall or flea market.

I suggested that. He wants the patch. He has an old hat somewhere with a patch on it that I hope we find SOON.  ;D

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #13326 on: October 03, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »
Along the lines of the annoying news interruptions during normal programming. But not worthy of its own thread.  Why must so many channels a. place their logo on the screen at all times, or b. flash something for an upcoming show, special, or what have you? Especially when the show you're watching may have subtitles, such as showing who someone is, or something like that. And whatever the station is flashing covers up what you're trying to see!

I know I'm watching Discovery or whatever channel it may be, you don't need to remind of it all the time!

I think internet piracy is a big culprit here - people recording the show and putting it online. Putting a watermark on things like that makes illegal activity easier to track (ie, makes it harder to claim it was received from a legit source)

Also, with DVR, fewer people are watching commercials, so the channels are having to be creative to advertise their other shows. I won't be surprised if there are flashes for products as well as shows in the near future.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13327 on: October 03, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »
Ugh, I'm kind of getting on my own nerves tonight.  I'm tired and as a result kind of cranky and snappish.

I was putting some muffins I made into a baggie so they wouldn't get stale and DH comes into the kitchen and starts turning off the lights while talking to me, so he knows I'm there, but he says "I didn't realize you were doing something".   He  apologized, said it's just a habit, turning off the lights before he goes to bed.  Boy, don't I know that?

Monday night I was on the computer in the basement (his mancave/office) and come up to find ALL the lights on the first floor off.  Which meant I had to fumble to find the right cord to turn the light off (no wall switches, they're all pull cords since the lights and fans are connected) and what kills me is he knew I was down there and didn't think to leave at least ONE light on for me? Grr. 

I get he wants to conserve electricity and cut down the bill but sheesh, would it kill him to just leave one light on?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #13328 on: October 03, 2013, 10:49:48 PM »
The fact that AAA uses your area code to determine where you are and sends you to that regional office. This may have worked back when everyone was using a landline and so, the area code really was where you were. Nowadays, of course, the area code on a cell phone likely has NOTHING WHATEVER to do with where you are.

I managed to lock myself out of my car for the first time in about 10 years the other weekend. I'm in Virginia, my cell phone still has my number from Los Angeles. I called AAA to come let me into my car. Got put on hold for 20 minutes. A nice woman comes on the line, gets my member #, car info, etc. etc. and finally asks what city I'm in. I tell her. She gets all confused and we go back and forth in a completely non-productive conversation for about another 5 minutes, before I finally say that I'm in My City VIRGINIA. Oh! she says, this is the Southern California office, you want Mid-Atlantic. I'll transfer you.

So I spend another 20 minutes on hold before getting the nice person in the Mid-Atlantic office and they managed to send out a locksmith for me, who then made a number of fairly offensive sexist/racist comments to me while opening my car.

Fortunately, there was a restaurant next-door, so I was able to have lunch while waiting around. The whole incident took about an hour and a half from the time I realized I'd locked myself out.

I have the same problem! Except I moved in the opposite direction: NC to California. Plus, I have my car, house and flood insurance through them. I used to be able to call their office directly with questions about my policy but now all calls get routed through their national 1-800 system and every.single.time I have to get redirected through the NC phone bank. Sometimes I get the "But why do you have a NC number in Northern California?" Have they never heard of keeping a cell phone number?

CuriousParty

« Reply #13329 on: October 03, 2013, 11:16:55 PM »

I suggested that. He wants the patch. He has an old hat somewhere with a patch on it that I hope we find SOON.  ;D

Would you be willing to buy a new cap?
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/peterbilt-cap

diesel_darlin

« Reply #13330 on: October 04, 2013, 12:13:46 AM »
Bless your heart! Thank you! I actually own the blue and brown one about 2/3 down the page, LOL. I have already suggested this to my dad. I think he has a grand vision in his head, and he cant quite figure out what he really wants to do. Thank y'all very much for helping me! Im gonna keep perusing the sites y'all found and hopefully I can find somethin' that suits him.  :P Yeah, sometimes my daddy can be totally Harry Potter thread worthy.  ;D

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13331 on: October 04, 2013, 01:29:28 AM »

Internet piracy is highly unlikely as a scapegoat... they've been in use for decades.  (Literally twenty years as of 2013.)  It's actually VCRs that you can blame.  As people recorded shows and zipped through ads, they also zipped through station identifications.  Bugs (or dogs, in some countries) are a solution to that.  Now, due to DVR use (because skipping ads is much easier), the bugs often include an ad for an upcoming show.

I've always thought an elegant solution to the problem would be an "ad bar" at the bottom of the screen... every minute or two, it shifts to a new advertisement, completely removed from the actual program.

BarensMom

« Reply #13332 on: October 04, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »

Would you be willing to buy a new cap?
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/peterbilt-cap

Speaking from the peanut gallery:  Wouldn't a patch be too heavy for a onesie?  Being a sewer, I think the embroidery shop would be a better idea - the sewing machines can download the exact image your father wants and directly embroider it onto the onesie.

CuriousParty

« Reply #13333 on: October 04, 2013, 05:19:46 PM »
Not embroidered, but there's this... (peterbuilt baby rompers)

http://www.jxe.com/category/199.aspx

Hillia

« Reply #13334 on: October 04, 2013, 05:39:31 PM »
I hate the new design of Slate.com.  It's cluttered and busy, and doesn't scroll properly on my display so I'm having to click back and forth to see the menu of articles.  The redesign was done to get rid of a lot of clutter that had crept in over the years, but now just having all the content displayed in one chaotic mess is driving me crazy.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools