Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1818798 times)

Lorelei_Evil

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13380 on: October 07, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure she's also unaware of the atrocities of WWII.

Don't kids learn about this in high school (or even before)?

We did, but only in AP History.  The general history class glossed over most of the 20th century because they spent so much time on the US Civil War that they had to fast forward through the rest.

Kaypeep

« Reply #13381 on: October 07, 2013, 12:41:42 PM »

We did, but only in AP History.  The general history class glossed over most of the 20th century because they spent so much time on the US Civil War that they had to fast forward through the rest.

My niece is in the 8th grade and I'm not sure what her curriculum is.  I do know that when I was in the 8th grade we learned about it, but we didn't see the graphic images that are often in the documentaries on TV today.  Hence, why I disagree with the OP who said that warnings about the disturbing images you're about to see when watching these on TV are not silly at all.  We heard about concentration camps but I didn't see actual, explicit photos until I was an adult with cable TV.  And even then, yes, it WAS disturbing.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13382 on: October 07, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »

I'm 42 and have never see A Clockwork Orange and still have no idea what it's about.  I probably never will as I've seen 2 Kubrick films and was bored to tears during both.

Trust me, you wouldn't be bored.  Horrified, disgusted, traumatized perhaps, but not bored.

I was.  It was so over the top as to seem cartoonish to me.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13383 on: October 07, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »

I'm 42 and have never see A Clockwork Orange and still have no idea what it's about.  I probably never will as I've seen 2 Kubrick films and was bored to tears during both.

I have seen it.  I was bored.   ;D  And disgusted, but mostly bored.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ScubaGirl

« Reply #13384 on: October 07, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »
I hate the new design of Slate.com.  It's cluttered and busy, and doesn't scroll properly on my display so I'm having to click back and forth to see the menu of articles.  The redesign was done to get rid of a lot of clutter that had crept in over the years, but now just having all the content displayed in one chaotic mess is driving me crazy.

Agreed!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13385 on: October 07, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »

Not necessarily.  My history teacher spent so much time on the Great Depression that on the very last day of class, WWII was covered with "There was another big war.  We won."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #13386 on: October 07, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »
The last unit taught in my history class in high school should have been titled: I Hate Richard Nixon and Here is Precisely Why.

;D  He was an interesting teacher.  Neutral, no, but interesting yes.

lilfox

« Reply #13387 on: October 07, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »
DH's unerring instinct for using the exact kitchen surfaces and gadgets that I need at exactly 1 minute before I plan to use them.  Last night's dinner was delayed for 30 min because he chose the start of my dinner prep time to make his bean salad for the week.  Let the record show he had spent the entire afternoon watching football instead of making this salad, and had absolutely no reason to choose exactly that time to make a salad he wasn't even going to eat then. But, as I hadn't formally announced I was starting dinner at that time, all I could do was wait (and seethe inwardly).  It's worse when I start getting leftovers out of the fridge to make lunch and he decides that's when HE needs to make lunch too.  So rather than him waiting 5 minutes for me to finish, it becomes a race to see who gets to the microwave first.

Also, I'm 33 wks pregnant with a baby who insists on somehow lodging himself into my upper back ribs, usually at times when I cannot just get up and move around.  It is seriously uncomfortable.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #13388 on: October 07, 2013, 04:28:57 PM »
Also, I can easily see someone putting together a documentary on the rise of Hitler where many of the disturbing images were disturbing only if you already had the context, such as a large gathering of people with swastikas. Other offensive images--signs and posters--would be less disturbing for someone who didn't know German. (Many people don't even try to read signs in languages they don't know.) I would expect a program billed as "the rise of Hitler" to end no later than the invasion of Poland.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13389 on: October 07, 2013, 05:14:08 PM »
Feeling like I'm speaking to a brick wall.  I swear I may as well sometimes for all I'm listened to.

The other day we were going over to Roy Rogers, not to eat so much as because there were free pony rides (which it turned out, was over with by the time we got there).  There are two Roys in our town, I TOLD Dh which one and he drove to another.  Two weekends ago I made "reservations" (they weren't official but still honored) at one Bob Evans and told DH it was the one near the mall.  He drives to another one and when I asked him why he was taking such a long way to get there he says "But you said it would be less crowded!"

No, I said the one he was driving to would be more likely to be crowded because it's along a main road of our town, the other was more hidden.  ::)

I'm not even going to start with the boys. At least I've got my bff and ehellions.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13390 on: October 07, 2013, 07:23:09 PM »
Our neighbors, who have a two bedroom, two bath, 1300 sq ft townhouse like we do. There were three young women who moved in, they are all on the lease, as is required in our complex rules. Now there are three guys also living there. With all of them driving and having their own cars, there are 6 cars. They have room to park two in their garage and two in front of the garage. No more. There is additional available parking around the corner.

Yet, they keep blocking our driveway and other neighbors. The police were called (not by us, but property management) and wrote them citations for blocking emergency access and for fighting in the parking area. I wish they would move already.  ::)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #13391 on: October 07, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »
I hate the new design of Slate.com.  It's cluttered and busy, and doesn't scroll properly on my display so I'm having to click back and forth to see the menu of articles.  The redesign was done to get rid of a lot of clutter that had crept in over the years, but now just having all the content displayed in one chaotic mess is driving me crazy.

Agreed!

Same here! I am about to give up on it. My work computer won't even load their page now. My new PC should be delivered today or tomorrow; i'll see if that fares better, but i am not hopeful.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #13392 on: October 07, 2013, 08:38:02 PM »

I'm in my early 20's, and I was forced to watch a movie about the Holocaust when I was in 5th grade. Those images were seared into my brain. It also helped, probably, that my grandpa and his brothers fought in WWII, and my dad talked about that stuff from time to time. We certainly weren't kept ignorant of things like that for fear of traumatizing children.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13393 on: October 08, 2013, 12:45:50 PM »
Also, I can easily see someone putting together a documentary on the rise of Hitler where many of the disturbing images were disturbing only if you already had the context, such as a large gathering of people with swastikas. Other offensive images--signs and posters--would be less disturbing for someone who didn't know German. (Many people don't even try to read signs in languages they don't know.) I would expect a program billed as "the rise of Hitler" to end no later than the invasion of Poland.

One can also talk about the concentration camps without *showing* the concentration camps, although for a filmed documentary it would leave them scrambling to fill the screen.

And there's levels of stuff. Someone might be able to stomach pictures of living prisoners, but not bodies.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13394 on: October 08, 2013, 02:40:54 PM »
It drives me up a wall when people don't pay attention to traffic lights!  Every day, I see people on their phones, checking makeup, etc etc etc during a red light, and so many of them don't notice when the light changes color.  Not making it through a turn signal because some person ahead of me decided to space out and just sit at a green arrow makes me so angry!  To make it worse, people in my area are very reluctant to use their horns, so if you beep at someone to make them move, you're likely to be the one considered rude!