Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1641358 times)

2littlemonkeys

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13395 on: October 08, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »
In regards to the warnings before programs, I saw one a couple of years ago that made me giggle a little.

It was a documentary about last remaining cannibals in Papua New Guinea.  It was heavily promoted and the Guide description was pretty clear so anyone watching pretty much knew what it was about and that there would be an interview with community members who participated before it was outlawed. It was a fascinating program.

However, at the beginning and at each commercial break, the viewers were dutifully warned that there was brief nudity.  And this was in the form of the clothing styles preferred by the women of the community (generally topless).  It just struck me as funny that someone settling in to watch a program about such a gory subject was going to get a "Hey, you're about to watch a show about people eating other people but just so you know there might be (whispers)  ta-tas ."

On to my annoyance.  I'm getting tired of people not respecting my parenting decisions and then getting mad at me when my kids do the very thing people said was just fine.

That was vague.  Here's the deal.  When my kids were small, they had a nasty habit of picking off the plates of others (particularly the ILs).  I tried to shut that down but was told by my ILs, "Oh, that's okay!"  I'd say, "No, it's really not okay, it's bad manners and I don't want them to think it's okay."  I was generally regarded as being silly and they continued to let them pick off their plates.   

I gave up trying to stop it since I was steamrolled every time. I figured, if they were fine with it, there wasn't much I could do without Causing a Scene.  (For the record, the kids know that this is not acceptable to do to anyone else.) 

Well, now my little kid is in school and was still snagging from Grandmas plate from time to time.  Suddenly, Grandma isn't fine with it anymore and wondered aloud where she got such bad manners (as in, "Your mother hasn't taught you how to behave!") 

I had a talk with Kid and she doesn't do it anymore but this is what happens when you override parents.   ::) ::) ::)

Snooks

« Reply #13396 on: October 08, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
I'm not quite as annoyed by this as I should be because I know there's a strong chance I'd have done the same thing because when something goes wrong your instinct tends to be to pick up the phone to your nearest support.

I'm the other end of the country to home at the moment for work.  I called DH and had a long conversation about how it was best for me to have a shower and wash my hair before my show as it would give it longer to dry.  I finish the call saying "Ok going to jump in the shower now and wash my hair".  This was about 30 minutes before my show started.  Showering takes about ten minutes, I get out the shower to hear my phone buzzing, the conversation goes like this:

DH: Did you get my text?
Me: No I've just got out the shower and heard my phone going?
DH: The oven's broken.
Me: Oh no.
DH: But not like last time, the whole thing's stopped working [previously it was only the main bit of the oven that went]
Me: Has the fuse tripped? [Reaching the end of my electrical knowledge here]
DH: No
Me: Does the microwave work? Is it that socket that's stopped working?
DH: Could be.
Me: Order a takeaway and Google the problem.

This went on for a good ten plus minutes, with a few more sidetracks of me trying to troubleshoot the problem, all the while I'm stood in only a towel watching the show before mine come to an end and desperately wanting to be in my PJs with dry hair.  Made it into my PJs and only missed the intro to my show.

The best thing about all of this is he works with three electricians so phoning me to ask about electrics is a complete waste of time!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13397 on: October 08, 2013, 08:34:20 PM »
Living in the city.

I want parking.  I want quiet at night. I want a view that doesn't include brick.  I.  Want. TREES.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13398 on: October 08, 2013, 08:45:26 PM »
Living in the city.

I want parking.  I want quiet at night. I want a view that doesn't include brick.  I.  Want. TREES.
(hugs) Living in a city would be sheer torture for me.  Actually, I want the very-difficult-to-impossible: a secluded cabin in the woods, with city water & sewer,  and high-speed internet access.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13399 on: October 08, 2013, 10:36:14 PM »
Living in the city.

(hugs) Living in a city would be sheer torture for me.  Actually, I want the very-difficult-to-impossible: a secluded cabin in the woods, with city water & sewer,  and high-speed internet access.

Actually, Elfmama, we have that in a small town city limits- our home is over 200 feet from any neighbors, have lots of woods but access to good medical care and close basic shopping. Five blocks to the Post Office, one mile to the library, and 3 miles to Walmart.

Diane, my fondest wish for you is that you find the same joy in retirement that we have.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13401 on: October 08, 2013, 11:24:21 PM »
Speaking of retirement, I sometimes get the idea my idea of retirement is different from DH's. 

Mine: doing various crafts, traveling, spending time with our kids when they can visit and grandchildren, if any, and probably doing church stuff here and there.  Not having to clean my house every single day. Having less dishes to do of a daily basis, cleaning the house and having it stay clean. (unless aforementioned possible grandkids visit, of course)

His: Buying a bunch of land and doing the farming thing with a bunch of animals.  Yeah, we'll see how much he feels like actually doing that in about 30 years or more.   Sure I don't mind getting up in the morning, but I also like being able to sip my coffee slowly, perhaps read a bit, slowly wake up, and the thought of hauling what will be my wrinkled white tuckas out at the crassack of dawn in January doesn't appeal to me.

It would be one thing if we've been doing that all our lives, but starting such a venture when we're retired sounds like a poor idea.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #13402 on: October 09, 2013, 12:22:41 AM »
I had a rotten day at work, so I will share my "bothers" here. I experienced all of these today from patients.

Rude, combative patients who are perfectly alert and oriented.

Patients who are perfectly capable decide being in the hospital means I do everything for them. One of the people I'm in charge with won't eat unless I feed them, and yes I have to wipe after they use the bedpan. This is a 22 year old patient who can manage their own hair and makeup just fine, btw. There is no mobility issues.

Being accused of being "mean" to a patient by not giving them their meds. This is a patient who refused their pain medication(a pill) and complained to their family about being in pain! ARGH!!

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

Redsoil

« Reply #13403 on: October 09, 2013, 07:23:40 AM »
Tardis - such patients would get short shrift in the hospitals here!  I've actually been a patient in one scenario (getting great care from staff in emergency for the record) but heard them going off on another "patient", telling them to "stop wasting our time - we have SICK people to attend!"
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13404 on: October 09, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »
Speaking of retirement, I sometimes get the idea my idea of retirement is different from DH's. 

Mine: doing various crafts, traveling, spending time with our kids when they can visit and grandchildren, if any, and probably doing church stuff here and there.  Not having to clean my house every single day. Having less dishes to do of a daily basis, cleaning the house and having it stay clean. (unless aforementioned possible grandkids visit, of course)

His: Buying a bunch of land and doing the farming thing with a bunch of animals.  Yeah, we'll see how much he feels like actually doing that in about 30 years or more.   Sure I don't mind getting up in the morning, but I also like being able to sip my coffee slowly, perhaps read a bit, slowly wake up, and the thought of hauling what will be my wrinkled white tuckas out at the crassack of dawn in January doesn't appeal to me.

It would be one thing if we've been doing that all our lives, but starting such a venture when we're retired sounds like a poor idea.

I love to bake.  I've had coworkers tell me I should quit my job and open a bakeshop.  Why on earth would I want to do that?  I'd have to get up at sparrowfart to start the baking to be ready for opening; I'd have to deal with customers (*shudder*); I'd have to work 6 or 7 days a week and I'd be on my feet most of the day.  Sounds like loads of fun!  NOT!

(Yes, I know most customers are perfectly lovely.  It's the 1% that are absolute monsters that I just wouldn't want to deal with.)

So hopefully, hubby changes his mind.  A nice piece of property where you could have a small chicken coop and a decent sized garden?  Great.  Several acres of crops and several animals, not so much.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13405 on: October 09, 2013, 10:56:03 AM »
Ideal retirement for me and DH. 10 acre piece of property with the main house in the valley and a small cabin up the mountain. Leave half of the property natural.

One acre garden, all different types of food plants. One acre orchard with fruit and nut trees. Some bees. Chickens, a goat or two, a couple horses. We would invite kids to visit and have a day on the farm in the spring and summer, from a nearby urban center. We would like to be as self-sufficient as possible, and be able to grow and store our own food.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13406 on: October 09, 2013, 10:59:20 AM »
Ideal retirement for me and DH. 10 acre piece of property with the main house in the valley and a small cabin up the mountain. Leave half of the property natural.

One acre garden, all different types of food plants. One acre orchard with fruit and nut trees. Some bees. Chickens, a goat or two, a couple horses. We would invite kids to visit and have a day on the farm in the spring and summer, from a nearby urban center. We would like to be as self-sufficient as possible, and be able to grow and store our own food.

Add in a hardwood bush consisting mostly of maples so I could make maple syrup in the spring and it sounds heavenly.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hillia

« Reply #13407 on: October 09, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
DH and I actually just got our dream place.  It's a 40 yr old farmhouse, just the perfect size, with about a half acre dedicated to nice lawn, giant trees for shade, and a nice fenced area for the dogs.  There's about another half acre of 'farmyard', with a barn and some other buildings that might be usable after cleaning/patching, and a nice flat space where my garden and chicken run are going in next year.  Then there's 4 acres of straight pasture; nothing's been done with it for years so it's all overgrown with weeds, but I'm hoping to get it in shape and add a few American Blackbelly sheep in a few years.  I have so many plans...sometimes it's overwhelming!

In the meantime, it would be just wonderful if the plumber would finally come out and fix the upstairs bathroom, and the electrician would come install the electrical outlet in the laundry room so I can get the dryer out of the middle of the kitchen.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13408 on: October 09, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »

I love to bake.  I've had coworkers tell me I should quit my job and open a bakeshop.  Why on earth would I want to do that?  I'd have to get up at sparrowfart to start the baking to be ready for opening; I'd have to deal with customers (*shudder*); I'd have to work 6 or 7 days a week and I'd be on my feet most of the day.  Sounds like loads of fun!  NOT!

(Yes, I know most customers are perfectly lovely.  It's the 1% that are absolute monsters that I just wouldn't want to deal with.)

So hopefully, hubby changes his mind.  A nice piece of property where you could have a small chicken coop and a decent sized garden?  Great.  Several acres of crops and several animals, not so much.

I can handle that much.  A chicken coop and garden (someone hired to weed cause I hate doing that) is fine with me, but like you said, a huge farm with several animals, no thanks!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Tea Drinker

« Reply #13409 on: October 09, 2013, 12:31:36 PM »

I can handle that much.  A chicken coop and garden (someone hired to weed cause I hate doing that) is fine with me, but like you said, a huge farm with several animals, no thanks!

Maybe suggest to your husband that on his next vacation, he get up every day at 5 a.m. and go for a nice walk, while you sleep in, maybe do dishes or laundry if the noise wouldn't wake you, and then once you wake up he can start on the noisier chores. Because that's the shape of retirement he's talking about, and it might be worth his getting an idea of what he's looking at. It might also make the point that just because he wants to spend his retirement years milking, gathering eggs, cleaning pens, plowing, etc. doesn't mean you intend to.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.