Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1751838 times)

Carotte

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13515 on: October 22, 2013, 11:09:02 AM »
I'm starting to have it up to here *motion hand way above my head* with my SO recent streak of reproach and complain about how I do stuff.
You'd think I was a 3 year old who never do it right. Then he finds out that it was the right way, or that I knew what I was doing all along or that there's quite a good reason I'm doing it that way and all that.
He did apologize and told me he doesn't know why he is doing it, that he realize he's doing something stupid just as he's saying it.
I'm usually someone who let this kind of stuff slide, when it's once in a while, but now I tell him off everytime so that he realize how stupid he's being.
I'm also someone who never points out peoples errors after it happened (like harping on and on about that time you almost burned down the theater or something), but I have to actually remind myself and keep track of when he eff it up so that I can remind him he's not the know-all and flawless person he pretends to be. Reminding him about the time he almost set the table on fire at the theatre works...

This approach is starting to work, still need some time, but he's going to get into trouble with me if he keep it up.
I might also stop reminding him about everything he has to do (it's not a nannying way, he really does forget everything, from taking his pills to doing X, so he asks me to remind him) so that he can suffer some consequences for once.
How do you teach diplomacy to someone who has close to no people skills? At least he's aware of it..

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13516 on: October 22, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »
When my DH is pretending he's utterly flawless and has never done anything worthy of reproach, I usually remind him about the time he accidentally set the entire centerpiece of a table on fire...at my best friend's wedding.  >:D  I'm not perfect myself, and lots of stuff I do is boneheaded and wrong, but at least I've never done that...

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13517 on: October 22, 2013, 12:09:51 PM »
There is an old tradition (at least, old for the US!) that the cowboy who complains about the chuck-wagon cook on a trail drive gets to cook the next meal.  Ask your SO if HE would like to do whatever it is.  Especially cooking or some other thing that he knows absolutely nothing about.  It really drives that point home if a DH had to eat nothing but toast for supper, because he doesn't know how to make anything else.

When my DH complains about my driving, he gets asked "Would YOU like to drive?"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

carol1412

« Reply #13518 on: October 22, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »
When my daughter Peanut hangs around her friends, their parents always comment about how wonderful it is to have Peanut around because she's so polite and respectful and she makes their children behave better.

So why is it that when we bring her home from hanging around with her friends, she's demanding and obnoxious?  Sometimes I wonder if I accidentally left my polite, respectful child at her friend's house and brought back the wrong kid.

I always told myself they were less polite at home because they'd reached their limit of politeness being with other people and home was where they could let down, let it all out and get away with it because they knew I would love them no matter how they were behaving.
My daughter is the same.  People:  "She's so SWEET!"  Me:  "Thanks, er, I guess so!"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13519 on: October 22, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »
There is an old tradition (at least, old for the US!) that the cowboy who complains about the chuck-wagon cook on a trail drive gets to cook the next meal.  Ask your SO if HE would like to do whatever it is.  Especially cooking or some other thing that he knows absolutely nothing about.  It really drives that point home if a DH had to eat nothing but toast for supper, because he doesn't know how to make anything else.

When my DH complains about my driving, he gets asked "Would YOU like to drive?"

Somebody who complains about my driving gets asked if they'd like to get out and walk!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cwm

« Reply #13520 on: October 22, 2013, 04:01:51 PM »
I have a cold.  I'm OVER it!  This is the THIRD cold I've had in a row, with only brief respite in between.  Aargh!

Oh, and I'm totally with someone a page or so back who dislikes skinny jeans.  When are they going to replace all the silly things with proper jeans?  I want my bootleg jeans back!

If you've got a Bass Pro Shops near where you live, they've got some great jeans. I hate skinny cut jeans, and if I can at all afford it, I won't go anywhere else. I buy two or three pairs at once and they last forever.

If you don't have one near you, you can always order online, too. The Natural Reflections line is what I buy, and I've never been disappointed.

Redsoil

« Reply #13521 on: October 23, 2013, 04:33:46 AM »
Thanks cwm - I'm in Australia. 

I just find jeans that fit well and look good, then the sods discontinue them, or "improve" them and BANG, I'm back to the endless search!  (And I hate trying stuff on - once I know my "fit" I just grab 'n' go - so much better!)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #13522 on: October 23, 2013, 07:03:45 AM »
It drives me batty when TV stations play episodes out of order. I just don't know why they do it!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13523 on: October 23, 2013, 07:33:56 AM »
When people feel the need to be negative when commenting on a fbook post that's otherwise upbeat and positive.

For example, a friend got snow yesterday, just a dusting really, but she was tickled and shared some lovely pictures of the snow on the last of her summer flowers (marigolds, from what I could tell)

Most of the comments were positive, to the tune of "Beautiful pictures!" and that the snow looked lovely on the flowers.  Then there were two whiners "It's too early for snow!!" No comments on her photos, just their own whining about the cold and snow.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13524 on: October 23, 2013, 07:46:04 AM »
This is fairly minor, but I hate it when my cross stitch thread tangles while I'm working.  I have to stop what I'm doing, remove the needle from the thread, use the point to fiddle with the knot, and occasionally cut the thread on either side of the knot because it's is too tight. 

And again, water on the sink.  I'm going to start putting the toothpaste tube under the vanity to see if my dad gets the hint.  (Well, no I won't.  It's passive aggressive, and it won't work anyway.  But it's tempting.)

What kind of floss are you using? I've sworn off kits because they always seem to use the cheaper brands that knot easily and stick with DMC though sometimes that will knot too but not as often.

Do you dangle the needle and floss so it unwinds every once in awhile? I rarely had tangles after I sttarted doing that.

What does hiding the toothpaste have to do with wiping the sink?

Carotte

« Reply #13525 on: October 23, 2013, 08:53:38 AM »
Urg, how can a design agency think they can have a project manager on an internship contract?
You either have a project manager with the duties of a project manager (and the add says as much) and the pay that goes with it, or a student on an internship that you pay the strict minimum (that being something like 40% of the minimum wage to start with).
Internships here can only be called like that if it goes through a school.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #13526 on: October 23, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »
Thanks cwm - I'm in Australia. 

I just find jeans that fit well and look good, then the sods discontinue them, or "improve" them and BANG, I'm back to the endless search!  (And I hate trying stuff on - once I know my "fit" I just grab 'n' go - so much better!)

Do you have a Rivers anywhere near you?  They sell a variety of cuts and rises, up to 18, including the mid sizes up to about 13.  They're not expensive (think $15-$20), heaps of colours and prints and regular blue and black, and they last really well.

Avoid their skinny legs though, they seem to be at least a size smaller than their regular cuts...  (says she who has about 8 pairs of funky printed skinny cut jeans and can't fit them yet.......   >:( )

Emmy

« Reply #13527 on: October 23, 2013, 10:51:08 PM »
When people feel the need to be negative when commenting on a fbook post that's otherwise upbeat and positive.

For example, a friend got snow yesterday, just a dusting really, but she was tickled and shared some lovely pictures of the snow on the last of her summer flowers (marigolds, from what I could tell)

Most of the comments were positive, to the tune of "Beautiful pictures!" and that the snow looked lovely on the flowers.  Then there were two whiners "It's too early for snow!!" No comments on her photos, just their own whining about the cold and snow.

I hate when people do that in real life too.  I have a friend who does this quite a bit.  When I moved to a new apartment he said "I thought you would have gotten a house by now.  I hope this is nicer than your old apartment."  (He was over 10 years older than me and didn't own a house and my old apartment was not a fancy luxury apartment, but it was nice, in a safe area, and comfortable.)  Another time after I moved in with DH in his house, his comment was "I don't know how you stand that airplane noise".  We lived 20-25 miles from the airport and would hear occasional planes overhead, but nothing I had even given a second thought.  Evil Emmy should have said, "I find negative comments much more irritating than the airplane noise."  I don't keep in touch with this person too much anymore.

Redsoil

« Reply #13528 on: October 24, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »
Thanks Julian - there is a Rivers outlet store in the regional city for the area, so may have a look there! 

It's mildly weird - I never have enough jeans, but at last count it was something like 14 pairs "in use" to various degrees, and about another 12 pairs in the wardrobe in the shed as "back-ups".  Thing is, each pair fits sightly differently, and I'm uber-sensitive to that.  Change in the weather?  X, Y and Z pairs are more comfortable.  Weather changes back - then the others come in to play.  Plus, different jeans for different purposes.  Categories include farm jeans, town jeans, going out jeans, hiking jeans, motorbike jeans and hot-day jeans!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13529 on: October 24, 2013, 12:36:38 PM »

I hate when people do that in real life too.  I have a friend who does this quite a bit.  When I moved to a new apartment he said "I thought you would have gotten a house by now.  I hope this is nicer than your old apartment."  (He was over 10 years older than me and didn't own a house and my old apartment was not a fancy luxury apartment, but it was nice, in a safe area, and comfortable.)  Another time after I moved in with DH in his house, his comment was "I don't know how you stand that airplane noise".  We lived 20-25 miles from the airport and would hear occasional planes overhead, but nothing I had even given a second thought.  Evil Emmy should have said, "I find negative comments much more irritating than the airplane noise."  I don't keep in touch with this person too much anymore.

I can't say I blame you.  That would make me nuts, too.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata