News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 06:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5500537 times)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13530 on: November 03, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »
Auto-substitutions done without sense or context. I understand the reasons for the substitutions here, but I posted in the Rocky Horror thread about a well-known comedian/television personality. Then I went back a few hours later and saw that his first name--the nickname "Richard" he always uses--had been replaced with "wingadingdingy." Similarly, seeing "irresponsible parent of the human type" in a discussion of whether to bre*ed a dog.

I know this is not unique to EHell; a couple of decades ago, it was known as the "Scunthorpe problem," for a town in England whose residents were blocked from signing up with certain ISPs. (Amusingly, preview shows me that the site software does not think we are *that* potty-mouthed, and let the previous sentence through.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Thipu1

« Reply #13531 on: November 03, 2013, 06:39:14 PM »
This is a bit of an old one, and it generally doesn't bother me as such.  However, I do find it off-putting when people assume that "of course, you wouldn't know about that". 

For instance, when those older than me assume I couldn't possibly know how hard it is to deal with elder care.  Being born to older parents, and having married a husband also born to older parents (all of whom are now deceased), I have actually dealt with a LOT of elder care, from the age of 26.  So, yes, I do actually "know", from a very personal viewpoint (especially as three of the said parents had severe debilities for many years).  As mentioned, it generally doesn't bother me, but at times, those saying such things have said it in such a way as to be quite a put-down.

It works the other way too, Redsoil.  I'm a retired librarian.  All the time I would hear, 'You're a book person.  There's no way you could know anything about the Internet'. 

Excuse me?  A good half of my working life was spent searching databases on-line. I defy the sniffers to make their way through the old RLIN system. 

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #13532 on: November 03, 2013, 08:40:08 PM »
That annoys me, especially with regard to assuming my age means I wouldn't know the good old tv shows such as I Love Lucy, or Bewitched.  Syndication, baby!

But what really irritates me is the assumption that because I was not alive at the time a certain artist/band was together, I would not appreciate their sound.  Even if I haven't heard it before, let me give a listen and let me decide. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Nikko-chan

« Reply #13533 on: November 03, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »
My mom. Seriously. I stayed up really late (eight this morning) writing and knitting. When I was finally tired enough to sleep it was punctuated with mom yelling at Ciaran. That is not the "Drive me completely up the wall" part though. She woke me up at 4 to go get her cigarettes. Neither of us drive. Which means I had to walk in the cold to the gas station because the grocery (which is closer) doesn't sell them on sundays.

And... when I actually got up out of bed a half hour after she kept begging me to get her cigarettes I looked at the clock. It read 3:57. So in reality, she had woken me up at 3:30. Just for some stupid cigarettes.

Oh, and she had told me a few months ago that I wouldn't be walking to get her cigarettes this winter because she was going to quit.

Uh huh. And pigs are flying.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #13534 on: November 03, 2013, 09:16:43 PM »
^ I suppose refusing because "you said you were going to quit" will result in more whinging?
Who is the Doctor?

Nikko-chan

« Reply #13535 on: November 04, 2013, 12:00:26 AM »
^ I suppose refusing because "you said you were going to quit" will result in more whinging?

Yes it did. Ugh... I told her, that if she wanted to smoke then she could go get them herself. "But it's cold."

No... really? Ya think?

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #13536 on: November 04, 2013, 12:12:57 AM »

Yes it did. Ugh... I told her, that if she wanted to smoke then she could go get them herself. "But it's cold."

No... really? Ya think?
Time for spine polish.  Tell her "No.  You want cigarettes, YOU go out in the cold and get them yourself."  Repeat as needed.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nikko-chan

« Reply #13537 on: November 04, 2013, 01:34:14 AM »

No... really? Ya think?
Time for spine polish.  Tell her "No.  You want cigarettes, YOU go out in the cold and get them yourself."  Repeat as needed.

I wish. But I live with her. And she'd yell at me forever about it. Thus making sure I would get nothing done.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #13538 on: November 04, 2013, 06:39:21 AM »
People I know IRL who are unhappy with circumstances in their lives, will whine about it every time I hear from them, but they refuse to do a single thing to actually improve their situation.  On top of that, they want people to tell them what they ought to do but then they won't do what everyone tells them to do.

Or you give them advice over and over, they say "Oh that sounds like a good idea!" but never do anything and then when someone else gives them the same advice they act like they've never heard it before.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Bijou

« Reply #13539 on: November 04, 2013, 06:51:51 AM »
I actually cringe when I hear someone use the term "gentle giant".  It seems rude  to refer to someone as a giant, in the first place.  Why would anyone call attention to someone's size?   And the assumption that anyone of large size would be aggressive or violent or just plain not gentle, doesn't make sense.
On top of that, it is overused and sounds cornball, to me.

Sometimes when I know where someone's conversation if going when they are talking about someone of a larger size, I brace myself and think, "Don't say it...don't say it...please, don't sa...Darn!  You said it!" 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:56:47 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

mmswm

« Reply #13540 on: November 04, 2013, 06:55:19 AM »
Bijou, I agree with you when the term is applied to humans.  However, I do use the term for my dog.  Most people do think very large dogs are aggressive, and Baxter can be quite aggressive if the thinks one of my kids are in danger, but otherwise he's the gentlest dog on the planet.  He's also a 140 pound mastiff, and most people are leery of him simply on account of his size.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Bijou

« Reply #13541 on: November 04, 2013, 06:59:18 AM »
Bijou, I agree with you when the term is applied to humans.  However, I do use the term for my dog.  Most people do think very large dogs are aggressive, and Baxter can be quite aggressive if the thinks one of my kids are in danger, but otherwise he's the gentlest dog on the planet.  He's also a 140 pound mastiff, and most people are leery of him simply on account of his size.
I guess I just really dislike the term all the more because it is usually applied to human beings and just seems so off to me, in that regard.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #13542 on: November 04, 2013, 07:39:24 AM »
When you have to create a login/password and no guidelines are given, but the system keeps rejecting your choices because you didn't do something according to its parameters.  I can't get it right if I don't know what I have to work within! 

poundcake

« Reply #13543 on: November 04, 2013, 09:10:14 AM »
I am so sick and tired of the undead.

Between vampires and zombies, there is just no escape, and hasn't been for over five years. And I appreciate the pop culture element of "We can't deal with what's really going on in our country, that's too scary. I know, let's plan for a zombie apocalypse that will never happen instead!" But it seems like everything is zombie-this and zombie-that, from YA books to tv and movies to, of course, Halloween costumes. (I guess having zombie versions of Halloween costumes was better than the sexy versions of them, but then there was all the "sexy zombie ___" stuff.)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13544 on: November 04, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »
Bring on the vampires but zombies and cannibals ick me out.  I can always eat more garlic.   >:D