Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1845688 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13530 on: October 24, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
People, generally fellow students, that stand in the middle of a hallway or walkway reading, texting or daydreaming. If someone wants to get through, they get an annoyed look or are completely ignored.  ::)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13531 on: October 24, 2013, 06:27:25 PM »
Apparently just asking someone to prom or homecoming isn't enough anymore. Now you need to do an elaborate proposal.  ::) No, I am not high school age. An example of it had popped up in my FB feed. Between this and the "preschool prom" trend, I'm going to end up being the mean future mama who says "No, we don't do that and here's why..."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:29:29 PM by TeamBhakta »

Editeer

« Reply #13532 on: October 24, 2013, 06:47:40 PM »
When someone in my open-floor-plan office has a phone conversation on the speakerphone. You can hear it all over the floor.  >:(

Hillia

« Reply #13533 on: October 24, 2013, 07:38:24 PM »
People unclear on the concept of using an office scheduling tool.

My company uses Microsoft Outlook.  Yes, it has its problems, but the calendar/scheduler works pretty well.  To set up a meeting, you find the people you want to invite in your address book, and all the schedules display stacked one on top of another, so you can easily find available times.  However, this only works if people actually put their meetings, vacations, out of office times, etc, in the calendar.  It's infuriating to schedule a meeting in a nice, open slot, only to have one or more attendees reply with, 'Oh, sorry...I have a conflict/I'm out of the office that day'.

This behavior leads to the less annoying but still mildly irksome habit some people have of asking you, 'When are you free for a meeting?' Look at my doggone schedule!  That will show you exactly when I'm free, because I actually use the scheduler for its intended purpose.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #13534 on: October 25, 2013, 02:04:36 AM »
Reminding him about the time he almost set the table on fire at the theatre works...

When my DH is pretending he's utterly flawless and has never done anything worthy of reproach, I usually remind him about the time he accidentally set the entire centerpiece of a table on fire...at my best friend's wedding.

What is it with husbands/SOs thinking they are perfect then setting things on fire? When my husband pulls the Keeper of All Knowledge routine (he's an instant expert on anything - just ask him!), I remind him of the times he
- knocked a flaming log out of the wood-burning stove, nearly setting the sofa on fire,
- dumped hot ash in the garbage can on the porch, setting the trash on fire,
- decided to store the owner's manual for the oven in the oven, which I preheated (thus starting a fire),
- left an empty oil container in the engine of my car where it melted and smoked up the interior of the car, and
- ironed his shirt while wearing it.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13535 on: October 25, 2013, 07:08:10 AM »
When someone in my open-floor-plan office has a phone conversation on the speakerphone. You can hear it all over the floor.  >:(

My last three companies had this issue, with the final one being the worst because there were no cubicle walls.  It irks me that people have to be so paranoid about losing their jobs that they don't complain about this kind of arrangement which is done by some companies to better spy on their employees and others to avoid the cost of creating an office space people can work well in.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13536 on: October 25, 2013, 08:55:46 AM »
I wrote this on Facebook- I hate it when dog owners let their dog come right up to you and let it sniif/touch you before they half heartadly pull it away. And give me the evil eye for thinking that they shouldn't let their dog cone near me. OK I admit it, not really a dog person. But letting your slobbering flea ridden pet touch me isn't going to get me to change my mind.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13537 on: October 25, 2013, 09:41:42 AM »
People unclear on the concept of using an office scheduling tool.

My company uses Microsoft Outlook.  Yes, it has its problems, but the calendar/scheduler works pretty well.  To set up a meeting, you find the people you want to invite in your address book, and all the schedules display stacked one on top of another, so you can easily find available times.  However, this only works if people actually put their meetings, vacations, out of office times, etc, in the calendar.  It's infuriating to schedule a meeting in a nice, open slot, only to have one or more attendees reply with, 'Oh, sorry...I have a conflict/I'm out of the office that day'.

This behavior leads to the less annoying but still mildly irksome habit some people have of asking you, 'When are you free for a meeting?' Look at my doggone schedule!  That will show you exactly when I'm free, because I actually use the scheduler for its intended purpose.

My former boss used Outlook to set up reminders for his team to do certain weekly tasks (ie Thursdays at 8 am we all got reminders to review our TPS reports).  Except that he set them all up as to show as busy instead of available.  And that busy notification was picked up by our intra-company messaging system.  None of us could figure out why other teams kept complaining that we were all busy and not able to take calls - we were there, taking calls!  Eventually figured out it was due to all the "busy" and "in a meeting" notifications on our Outlook calendar.  We all had to go in and change those reminders to be "available".  So annoying, and something boss could have fixed just by clicking the button to say "show as available" when he sent them all out originally. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13538 on: October 25, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »
I wrote this on Facebook- I hate it when dog owners let their dog come right up to you and let it sniif/touch you before they half heartadly pull it away. And give me the evil eye for thinking that they shouldn't let their dog cone near me. OK I admit it, not really a dog person. But letting your slobbering flea ridden pet touch me isn't going to get me to change my mind.

I like to think that dog owners are aware of how awful the dog's nose is after cleaning up the snout prints on the patio door, but I guess some don't.

I like dogs when I'm ready to pet and play, but not having one anymore, I don't want that on my clean clothes!

Xandraea

« Reply #13539 on: October 25, 2013, 11:08:43 AM »

I like to think that dog owners are aware of how awful the dog's nose is after cleaning up the snout prints on the patio door, but I guess some don't.

I like dogs when I'm ready to pet and play, but not having one anymore, I don't want that on my clean clothes!

I take offense to the implication that every dog is a "slobbering flea ridden pet". Some dogs slobber or have fleas, sure. Many dogs are very obedient and bathed regularly and are perfectly safe, friendly animals. SOME animal-owners don't care to train their pets or keep them clean. Many love their dogs like family and are very attentive to their health and grooming. I do agree no animal should be allowed near another person (or another animal, for that matter), without permission from the other, but that is basic etiquette for all, not only animals.  Also, wet noses will leave marks on windows. That doesn't make the nose awful.

Shalamar

« Reply #13540 on: October 25, 2013, 11:12:51 AM »

I work with this guy, too.  He seems to think that his office is a Cone of Silence, even when his door isn't closed.  Every time I hear his voicemail say "To review messages, press 1.  To change your personal options, press 2", I mutter under my breath "To be an inconsiderate jerk, press 3."

flickan

« Reply #13541 on: October 25, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »

I take offense to the implication that every dog is a "slobbering flea ridden pet". Some dogs slobber or have fleas, sure. Many dogs are very obedient and bathed regularly and are perfectly safe, friendly animals. SOME animal-owners don't care to train their pets or keep them clean. Many love their dogs like family and are very attentive to their health and grooming. I do agree no animal should be allowed near another person (or another animal, for that matter), without permission from the other, but that is basic etiquette for all, not only animals.  Also, wet noses will leave marks on windows. That doesn't make the nose awful.

I dunno, I was tempted to take offense but then I realize I'd be lying if I said that being a no-kids-yes-pets person I'd never inwardly flinched at someone's snotty grubby child putting their gross hands on me.  No not every child is dripping with germs but I don't stop to make that distinction.  This is hyperbole I can understand.

And it is really truly bad to let a dog on a leash get close enough to approach and sniff a strange person.  You have no idea if that person has a phobia, allergies, or simply can't stand dogs.  That's not fair to anyone. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13542 on: October 25, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »

I didn't  say the nose is awful. It's a fact of life. I just don't want it on my clean clothes. If the stuff gets on windows, it will get on my clothes.

Our dog was allowed to nose the windows and car windows and floors, etc., as that is pretty much natural instinct, and I cleaned it up. She was being a dog. No problem. She also knew that once I put on my perfume when getting dressed, she wasn't allowed to nose me. It just took a couple of times of gently pushing her away and saying, "No." She figured out the perfume thing as a signal on her own. Good, smart Doggie!

Yes, keeping a dog away from me unless invited is basic etiquette. Thank you for saying that.

cwm

« Reply #13543 on: October 25, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »
Thanks Julian - there is a Rivers outlet store in the regional city for the area, so may have a look there! 

It's mildly weird - I never have enough jeans, but at last count it was something like 14 pairs "in use" to various degrees, and about another 12 pairs in the wardrobe in the shed as "back-ups".  Thing is, each pair fits sightly differently, and I'm uber-sensitive to that.  Change in the weather?  X, Y and Z pairs are more comfortable.  Weather changes back - then the others come in to play.  Plus, different jeans for different purposes.  Categories include farm jeans, town jeans, going out jeans, hiking jeans, motorbike jeans and hot-day jeans!

I mean this in the nicest possible way and intend no offense, but wow. I think I have about 3 pairs of jeans that don't have holes all over them and I can wear. I have another few pairs that I keep around for buttons or because I can't stand to throw that much denim away, even if I don't have a machine strong enough to do anything with it. I'd donate them, but with holes in the crotch, I don't think anywhere will actually do much more than throw them away.

I guess it's just me, even with two dressers, I don't have much room for pants. Most of my dressers are shirts, socks, undies, and pajama pants. And random extra storage drawers. But I've never had more than about four or five pairs of jeans at a time, that just seems excessive to me.

Then again, I wear my jeans for a long time before washing, usually. So by the time I wash one, even with weekly laundry, I have another two pairs I can wear as backup. And if the weather changes, I can pick which one will work for that day.

BarensMom

« Reply #13544 on: October 25, 2013, 12:02:45 PM »

Pod - Baren is not "slobbering" nor is he "flea ridden."  He also maintains at least a 6-foot distance away from people until they beckon him over.  As far as cleanliness goes, I'll put Baren up against any of the filthy, snot-nosed brats that run around my neighborhood.

Dog snot, however, is the toughest stuff on earth to remove from anything.  They could coat heat tiles on the ISS with that stuff.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:04:52 PM by BarensMom »