Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1560411 times)

mmswm

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13575 on: October 28, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »
I hate those "Your workout is our warmup" shirts. As someone who went from about 33% bodyfat to a decent athlete, I couldn't imagine wearing one, because I've been in the position of being the slowest/most easily-fatigued person in the room. There's just something so superior about them.  It's a moot point that there's always someone better than you and always someone worse than you, but I don't see the need to draw attention to it.

There are several shirts I've seen along those lines.  I can't stand any of them.  You might be a better athlete.  Good for you.  We've all got talents.  Yours is being athletic. Big deal. You're also a jerk.  It's people like you that make people like me hesitant to get out and walk on the streets for fear of being laughed at while I try to improve myself.  I'm sorry, I'd rather be a fat nice person than a jerk who's skinny.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13576 on: October 28, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »
The way our neighbor acts about yard maintenance drives me up the wall!  Apparently yard maintenance is a competition, because the instant my DH does anything in our yard, this neighbor is out there doing the same thing!  DH raked leaves yesterday?  Neighbor is out there literally five minutes after DH comes inside, raking his leaves.  DH mows the lawn?  Neighbor is out that day or the next day, mowing his lawn, even if he just mowed it two days ago.  Neighbor also appears to be under the impression that we try to get out of cleaning our yard by moving the leaves onto his yard, as I've seen him using his leaf blower to blow leaves into our yard after we've raked it.  It's so stupid...if there's a competition, he's already won.  We don't care about our yard nearly as much as he does, so his yard always looks better than ours. 

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #13577 on: October 28, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
This sounds silly, but the perfectly functioning faucet for the sink in my lab got replaced with a low flow but super high pressure model. Now it takes forever to fill water containers and you can't quite get it to the top measuring line because the water is so high pressure it bubbles over the side. It also takes forever to wash and rinse dishes, with half the water bouncing off the surface and spraying into my face but somehow not getting the soap off. The last time I washed dishes, my top half was soaked, including my face and hair, except for an outline of my rubber apron. My hands got wet despite the gloves because the splashing water would run down my arms into my gloves. Finally, it hurts to wash my hands: I feel like I'm being pelted with hail.

I reported this to facilities and they laughed and said I'd get used to it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13578 on: October 28, 2013, 12:05:20 PM »
This sounds silly, but the perfectly functioning faucet for the sink in my lab got replaced with a low flow but super high pressure model. Now it takes forever to fill water containers and you can't quite get it to the top measuring line because the water is so high pressure it bubbles over the side. It also takes forever to wash and rinse dishes, with half the water bouncing off the surface and spraying into my face but somehow not getting the soap off. The last time I washed dishes, my top half was soaked, including my face and hair, except for an outline of my rubber apron. My hands got wet despite the gloves because the splashing water would run down my arms into my gloves. Finally, it hurts to wash my hands: I feel like I'm being pelted with hail.

I reported this to facilities and they laughed and said I'd get used to it.

EvilDiane would like to suggest a fire hose that they can get used to.

Shalamar

« Reply #13579 on: October 28, 2013, 01:07:38 PM »
I hate those "Your workout is our warmup" shirts.

Ugh, that reminds me of when I was looking for a gym a long time ago.  I asked our receptionist, who was younger and fitter than I was, which gym she used.  She looked me up and down and said "Well, I could tell you, but you really wouldn't be comfortable there."  I said "Is that so?  Why?"   "Wellll ... the people who go there are all really young, fit, and good-looking."

Wow.   :o

For the record, at the time of asking I was in my late 20's, a size 12-14, and not hideously ugly.   I guess the fact that no-one would mistake me for a supermodel meant that I wouldn't feel at home in her gym.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13580 on: October 28, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »
It always amuses me when people act like those who need to exercise shouldn't go to a gym.

Amuses, is that the right word?  No, that's not right.  The word is "disgusts".

nuit93

« Reply #13581 on: October 28, 2013, 01:28:55 PM »
Attitudes like that are the reason that gyms are developing that are ONLY for the overweight/obese.

lilfox

« Reply #13582 on: October 28, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »
I have a number of FB friends who comment on their various physical activities - super-long (to me) bike rides, climbing, running, all sorts of things.  They're great, I love seeing the pics they post, and it's kind of inspiring because as far as I can tell, there's absolutely nothing competitive about the posts at all.

The one who gets on my nerves is the one who posts her run time/distance and then comments about how sloooooooow she was today.  Her tortoise-like pace is what I can barely manage on a good day.  That's just obnoxious, but she only does it rarely so I just ignore.

I have a couple of SuperMom FB friends too, I find I just skip over their posts because otherwise it would drive me up the wall, since they mainly consist of "I should have my head examined! I just spent all day doing A, B, C, D, E, F, and G for my kids, isn't that crazy???"

nuit93

« Reply #13583 on: October 28, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »
I have a number of FB friends who comment on their various physical activities - super-long (to me) bike rides, climbing, running, all sorts of things.  They're great, I love seeing the pics they post, and it's kind of inspiring because as far as I can tell, there's absolutely nothing competitive about the posts at all.

The one who gets on my nerves is the one who posts her run time/distance and then comments about how sloooooooow she was today.  Her tortoise-like pace is what I can barely manage on a good day.  That's just obnoxious, but she only does it rarely so I just ignore.

I have a couple of SuperMom FB friends too, I find I just skip over their posts because otherwise it would drive me up the wall, since they mainly consist of "I should have my head examined! I just spent all day doing A, B, C, D, E, F, and G for my kids, isn't that crazy???"

"Yes, yes it is.  Maybe you should stop doing that."

Shalamar

« Reply #13584 on: October 28, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »
My husband loves to run.  He's done two or three marathons, several half-marathons, and a couple of weeks ago he did a 12-hour run called the Lemming Loop.  (Just to be clear, he wasn't running constantly for 12 hours, but still - he ended up doing almost 70 kilometres!)

The reason I'm being driven up the wall is that he keeps comparing himself to other runners and saying "She did a marathon 2 hours 15 minutes.  That's how long it takes me to do a HALF marathon!"  I keep telling him that loads of people haven't done any half marathons (me, for example), and his accomplishments are amazing.

KimberlyM

« Reply #13585 on: October 28, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »
I was forced into a smartphone this weekend when my dumbphone quit.  I can't figure out how to do anything.  I can answer when it rings, but I can't figure out how to make calls, the email thingy wont work at all (or rather I can't work it), there seems to be about 20 additional steps required to send a text message than my old one...I miss my "makes phone calls and texts-ONLY" phone...

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #13586 on: October 28, 2013, 04:24:59 PM »
The way a certain member of my family complains about EVERYTHING!!!!  Nothing makes her happy.  Ever.

It's too cold.  Or too hot.  Or too cloudy.  Or too sunny.  Or too windy.  Or not windy enough. 

And it makes me darn near psychotic when she starts complaining about thing that don't even affect her (like the little picnic lunch I make before the girls' soccer games.  "That's too much work!"  Or the bread I like to bake. "That's too much work!"  Or my knitting projects. "All that work and you just got a little hat.")

magicdomino

« Reply #13587 on: October 28, 2013, 05:03:31 PM »
And it makes me darn near psychotic when she starts complaining about thing that don't even affect her (like the little picnic lunch I make before the girls' soccer games.  "That's too much work!"  Or the bread I like to bake. "That's too much work!"  Or my knitting projects. "All that work and you just got a little hat.")

"Eh, it beats sitting around complaining."   ;)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13588 on: October 28, 2013, 05:09:15 PM »
I have a friend that I only interact with online. She is either very unlucky physically or a hypochondriac, and is constantly having to go on an antibiotic for something. One of our fellow friends suggested eating yogurt to keep from getting digestive upset common when taking antibiotics.

Friend complained about possible stomach upset.
Fellow friend suggested eating yogurt.
Friend complained that she doesn't like it.
Friend elaborated for about two paragraphs of why she doesn't like it on and on.

Lately, any interaction with friend is like this. Sigh.

Elisabunny

« Reply #13589 on: October 28, 2013, 05:13:43 PM »
I hate those "Your workout is our warmup" shirts. As someone who went from about 33% bodyfat to a decent athlete, I couldn't imagine wearing one, because I've been in the position of being the slowest/most easily-fatigued person in the room. There's just something so superior about them.  It's a moot point that there's always someone better than you and always someone worse than you, but I don't see the need to draw attention to it.

There are several shirts I've seen along those lines.  I can't stand any of them.  You might be a better athlete.  Good for you.  We've all got talents.  Yours is being athletic. Big deal. You're also a jerk.  It's people like you that make people like me hesitant to get out and walk on the streets for fear of being laughed at while I try to improve myself.  I'm sorry, I'd rather be a fat nice person than a jerk who's skinny.

"Oh, you're an Olympic athlete?  Which sport?  I'd love to see all your gold medals!  What's that you say?  You're not an Olympic gold medalist?  Huh.  I guess your workouts must be other people's warmups."   *stuffs Evilbunny back in her cage*
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...