Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1858326 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13605 on: October 29, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
I was eating dinner at a pizza restaurant with my parents. The restaurant had a large tv near the cash register. I wasn't paying attention to the tv at first, since my back was to it while I was eating. I did notice the tv, though, after Carrie Bradshaw and her boyfriend started loudly playing scrabble + Carrie was giving a very specific narration about their scrabble preferences. I was hoping the waitresses would change the station, as that seemed a bit awkward in a family restaurant. I mean, I love the show, but I'd rather not watch certain episodes with my parents, kwim ? After that show went off, there was a celebrity gossip show explaining what ladies need to do in order to impress Justin Beiber's handlers and be allowed into his bed; also, how many ladies he takes to bed a time. One waitress tried to change the station to Law and Order, but all the other waitresses screamed "NOOO!" and "THAT'S A BOY SHOW! NOBODY WANTS TO WATCH THAT!"  ::)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #13606 on: October 29, 2013, 11:57:53 PM »
I was eating dinner at a pizza restaurant with my parents. The restaurant had a large tv near the cash register. I wasn't paying attention to the tv at first, since my back was to it while I was eating. I did notice the tv, though, after Carrie Bradshaw and her boyfriend started loudly playing scrabble + Carrie was giving a very specific narration about their scrabble preferences. I was hoping the waitresses would change the station, as that seemed a bit awkward in a family restaurant. I mean, I love the show, but I'd rather not watch certain episodes with my parents, kwim ? After that show went off, there was a celebrity gossip show explaining what ladies need to do in order to impress Justin Beiber's handlers and be allowed into his bed; also, how many ladies he takes to bed a time. One waitress tried to change the station to Law and Order, but all the other waitresses screamed "NOOO!" and "THAT'S A BOY SHOW! NOBODY WANTS TO WATCH THAT!::)

Are they 12? That is ridiculous behavior from someone who should be responsible enough to hold down a waitressing job.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Betelnut

« Reply #13607 on: October 30, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »
I was eating dinner at a pizza restaurant with my parents. The restaurant had a large tv near the cash register. I wasn't paying attention to the tv at first, since my back was to it while I was eating. I did notice the tv, though, after Carrie Bradshaw and her boyfriend started loudly playing scrabble + Carrie was giving a very specific narration about their scrabble preferences. I was hoping the waitresses would change the station, as that seemed a bit awkward in a family restaurant. I mean, I love the show, but I'd rather not watch certain episodes with my parents, kwim ? After that show went off, there was a celebrity gossip show explaining what ladies need to do in order to impress Justin Beiber's handlers and be allowed into his bed; also, how many ladies he takes to bed a time. One waitress tried to change the station to Law and Order, but all the other waitresses screamed "NOOO!" and "THAT'S A BOY SHOW! NOBODY WANTS TO WATCH THAT!::)

Are they 12? That is ridiculous behavior from someone who should be responsible enough to hold down a waitressing job.

Televisions in restaurants drive me completely up the wall.  No matter how hard you try, it is very, very difficult to ignore a television.  Your eye just seems to migrate over to it.  So annoying.

Recently a locally-owned ice cream place added, not one, but TWO televisions to its very small eating area.  I go to ice cream places as a treat with my daughter for us to interact/talk/bond.  Not to watch freaking TV.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13608 on: October 30, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »
Televisions in waiting rooms at doctors offices. Especially if they are not muted. More annoying if they are two different channels and neither is muted.

I now carry noise reduction ear buds with me constantly.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #13609 on: October 30, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »
I was at a tire store recently that was showing an old Western. There was a kidnapping, and the victim kept making sounds like a puppy being kicked. I told the guy at the counter, "I don't want to hear the screaming. I'll be on the curb with my book if you need to call me," and took my book outside.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Shalamar

« Reply #13610 on: October 30, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »
Television showing The Game during a special family dinner at my sister-in-law's house.  If I wanted to watch TV, I would have stayed home.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13611 on: October 30, 2013, 11:26:21 AM »
That is why we no longer spend time at my in-laws. There are three televisions blaring whatever, with no one anywhere near them, but they complain if you leave a light on when leaving a room for a minute.

Nope! Not worth the aggravation.

Betelnut

« Reply #13612 on: October 30, 2013, 11:35:58 AM »
If there is no one in a waiting room with a television, I've asked staff to turn it off.  I've also asked them to lower the volume on it.  Sometimes they will actually do it but I suspect a lot of times they are the ones watching it.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

alkira6

« Reply #13613 on: October 30, 2013, 12:02:16 PM »
I actually have family that get nervous when they come over because the TV is not on and we don't have cable. Or a radio/stereo/ipod dock.  They are so used to the constant stimulation that they are incapable of having a conversation.

My mom is actually buying us a TV for Christmas so "we'll have something to do". Okay.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13614 on: October 30, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »
I am a background music fan when we are doing homework, reading, cleaning or whatever. The TV never stays on just for noise.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13615 on: October 30, 2013, 01:12:57 PM »
The constant sports on TVs in bars and the noise the patrons make.  Whatever happened to background music?

cwm

« Reply #13616 on: October 30, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
The constant sports on TVs in bars and the noise the patrons make.  Whatever happened to background music?

To be fair, most of the bars I see around here are what you'd call sports bars, where the whole pull is you can go watch the game and have someone else serve you drinks all night, but not have to pay $XXX+ for a ticket to the actual game. I don't like them, as I don't like sports or loud bars, but that could be the reasoning.

Strangers who start conversations, though, I despise. I was waiting for my mom and grandma at the airport last night. Someone asked me if I was waiting for the flight from OtherCity, and I said yes. Then he commented on my book (Sherlock Holmes, for the curious). This was a priest, and due to my upbringing, I couldn't stand the possibility of ignoring him. Yes, it was a nice conversation, but I would have rather just read my book without talking to someone.

Shalamar

« Reply #13617 on: October 30, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »
A friend once visited me unexpectedly at my apartment while I had the TV on.  I switched it off and he looked at me oddly.  "What are you doing?  Leave it on."  I said "I thought you'd come to visit me.  Why on earth do you care about a Hart to Hart re-run, anyway?"  He said "I just feel weird if there's no background noise."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13618 on: October 30, 2013, 03:44:34 PM »
A friend once visited me unexpectedly at my apartment while I had the TV on.  I switched it off and he looked at me oddly.  "What are you doing?  Leave it on."  I said "I thought you'd come to visit me.  Why on earth do you care about a Hart to Hart re-run, anyway?"  He said "I just feel weird if there's no background noise."

This. When my cousin visits, the first thing she does is hunt down the remote and turn it to the news. Unfortunatley, we have views on the complete opposite ends of the spectrum, so she's got it tuned to the news channel I detest.. So when she goes to shower, I turn it off. but really? MUST you turn it on the nanosecond we walk in teh door?

cwm

« Reply #13619 on: October 30, 2013, 03:49:12 PM »

This. When my cousin visits, the first thing she does is hunt down the remote and turn it to the news. Unfortunatley, we have views on the complete opposite ends of the spectrum, so she's got it tuned to the news channel I detest.. So when she goes to shower, I turn it off. but really? MUST you turn it on the nanosecond we walk in teh door?

Personally I'd set parental controls to block that channel, then hide the remote when you know she's coming. Or unplug the TV, if you don't want it on. And if she complains, just say "Well, cousin, I thought you were coming to see me, not to watch the news."

I don't watch television news channels unless it's a huge major news event. If it's local or regional, I'll turn on one of the local stations, but if it's national or international news, it's easier for me to go to two or three trusted overseas news sites to get a few perspectives that aren't likely to be reported within my country.