Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1633805 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13635 on: October 31, 2013, 01:52:26 PM »
Funny you'd say that, M, as I was just thinking "I bet mmswm would go with me if she weren't in Florida!" :D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BeagleMommy

« Reply #13636 on: October 31, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
Rocky Horror Picture Show is on tonight at a local theater and I've got no one to go with! I've seen the movie several times but have never been to an actual showing so I'm not comfortable going alone.   Poo!

Guess I'll just do the time warp in  my living room after sending the kids to bed! Hmm...I think I have it on DVD...

Pirate, I'll dust off my tap shoes if I can be Columbia!  Wish I had someone to go with as well.  DH will watch it but he won't go to a showing because of all the "weirdos".  This from the man who wants to go to ComicCon in San Diego.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13637 on: October 31, 2013, 02:18:30 PM »
Well see that's the other thing, I don't really even have anything I could use as a costume.  I had thought of going as Magenta years ago and so bought a maid's outfit but then my opportunity fell through and then I think I ended up getting rid of the costume.

I guess I could go as Janet, but I really like Magenta. :D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BeagleMommy

« Reply #13638 on: October 31, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
Well see that's the other thing, I don't really even have anything I could use as a costume.  I had thought of going as Magenta years ago and so bought a maid's outfit but then my opportunity fell through and then I think I ended up getting rid of the costume.

I guess I could go as Janet, but I really like Magenta. :D

Too bad I'm in Pennsylvania!  Okay, I've got The Time Warp stuck in my head now.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13639 on: October 31, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »
Same here!  It's like an instant word association for me.  Someone says "RHPS" and that's where my mind goes, to the Time Warp, just as I cannot help but add "Janet" when someone says "Dam*it!"

BeagleMommy

« Reply #13640 on: October 31, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »
Janet!
Brad!
Janet!
Dr. Scott!
Rocky!
Uh!

Shalamar

« Reply #13641 on: October 31, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »
My beef du jour is people who don't listen.

Today, we had a work problem.  All signs pointed towards a certain procedure not being run.  When my boss and I asked the guy responsible for running that procedure, he swore up and down that he'd done it.

Me:  Are you sure?  Because I've checked the timestamp of the last time (JOB) was run, and it says last Thursday - not today.
Him:  Nope, I absolutely ran it today.  Look, I'll run it again if you like.  There, it's done.
Me:  Um, once again, the timestamp says last Thursday.  Are you sure you're running (JOB)?
Him:  Yup, I'm positive.
Me:  You know, I've sorted all the jobs by their timestamps, and there's a job with a really similar name that was just run two seconds ago - are you sure you didn't run (SIMILAR JOB) by mistake?
Him: .... you told me to run (SIMILAR JOB), so that's the one I ran.
Me: No, I didn't.
Him:  Yes, you did.
Me:  *gives up*  Can you just run (JOB), please?

Arrrrgh.

cwm

« Reply #13642 on: October 31, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »
I'm going totally against the grain here, and I mean no offense to anyone here.

I hate RHPS. I've never liked the movie itself, I've never been able to finish watching it because for some reason, it just doesn't click with me. Which is fine, everyone has their own tastes in movies.

But without fail, anyone I meet through mutual friends loves it. And they keep trying to tell me that if I go to a live show, it'll be great and I'll have such a good time. No, I won't. I don't like crowds, I don't like strangers, and I can't stand it when people in an actual theater sing along or speak along with the movie. Yes, I know that's the point, which is why I can't stand the thought of going.

The best part is there are a few people who have invited me to come along every year for the past six or seven years. I've given them a blank stare the past few years. They keep thinking that my mind will magically change. Not going to happen. Please leave it alone.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:13:36 PM by cwm »

Shalamar

« Reply #13643 on: October 31, 2013, 03:11:41 PM »
I'm with you!  I never saw RHPS as a kid, so it doesn't resonate with me at all.  I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago and was all "meh".  Now I know how some of my friends feel when they see Star Wars for the first time as adults.   :D

(I'll confess to having a couple of the RHPS songs on my iPod, but they're from the Glee episode, not the movie.)

flickan

« Reply #13644 on: October 31, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »
I'm going totally against the grain here, and I mean no offense to anyone here.

I hate RHPS. I've never liked the movie itself, I've never been able to finish watching it because for some reason, it just doesn't click with me. Which is fine, everyone has their own tastes in movies.

But without fail, anyone I meet through mutual friends loves it. And they keep trying to tell me that if I go to a live show, it'll be great and I'll have such a good time. No, I won't. I don't like crowds, I don't like strangers, and I can't stand it when people in an actual theater sing along or speak along with the movie. Yes, I know that's the point, which is why I can't stand the thought of going.

The best part is there are a few people who have invited me to come along every year for the past six or seven years. I've given them a blank stare the past few years. They keep thinking that my mind will magically change. Not going to happen. Please leave it alone.

For most people who see it in their teens I think the whole "verboten" quality really reasonates.  I know the first time I saw it I thought it was wild and dangerous and sexy and cool.  That and I had to sneak out to go see it.

As an adult I really dig the camp appeal.  If there's anything I like more than camp and drag well I don't know what it is.

It is certainly not for everyone, nor would I expect most of my friends to get the appeal.

mmswm

« Reply #13645 on: October 31, 2013, 03:37:58 PM »
Piratelvr, of course I would say that!  And I can't help but singing "Janet, I love you" after anybody says "Dam it!" I just can't help myself.

And for those who don't like it, not everybody likes everything.  That's the beauty of the movies; there's so many different kinds out there that we can pick and chose what we like. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13646 on: October 31, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »
I first saw it in college, and I was told "Do not try to watch it without audience participation because it truly is an awful, pointless movie on its own.  The audience participation makes it the cult classic it has become" or something to that effect.  My friend who introduced it to me printed up the entire script with AP and we watched it in her dorm room, and I had a great time with it.  I did once try to watch it without the AP and I couldn't get through it. 

But I've also found it's like Monty Python, not everyone is going to get it and as mmswm says, there's nothing wrong with that! :)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #13647 on: October 31, 2013, 04:12:59 PM »
I first saw RHPS when I was...somewhere in the vicinity of eight years old. With my sister making all the lewd, profane and just plain inappropriate comments at the proper times. (Our mother was Really Not Happy with her.) I think I rather prefer just watching the movie without all the extraneous comments due to that.

As for what's driving me up the wall now...I've nearly finished a section of translating, and I'm stuck on the very last line. It's basically in three parts and while I can translate them all separately with no problem, I can't get them to fit together. It's driving me absolutely nuts, I want to hurry up and get this section finished and posted for people who are following my progress!  :-\
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Betelnut

« Reply #13648 on: October 31, 2013, 04:15:29 PM »
When I was in high school (late 1970s), I had a high school friend (male) seriously say that seeing/going to Rocky Horror Picture Show made you gay. Even as a high school student, I knew that was crazy. Guess who came out of the closet when he got to college!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13649 on: October 31, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »
Love RHPS and I want to offer a toast!