Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1857315 times)

laud_shy_girl

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13710 on: November 06, 2013, 09:30:17 AM »
It's used by the disabled for overflow parking to but I have absolutely no problem with that (unless there is available DP and they just use a M&B spot)

I've done that a few times, with my Dad when there was no disabled parking.  Every single time, when we came back out of the store, at least one of the disabled spots would be free.

I am talking about watching a car pull in with tags when all the DP spaces are empty. In their defense they may see marked bays and assume they are DP.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13711 on: November 06, 2013, 10:26:14 AM »
So much "comedy" has to use foul language. I just read a list of things not to say to our Subway Sandwich Artist. They were pretty funny just for how stupid can people be? It wasn't necessary and not at all funny to put an aside calling the customer rude names and use the f-bomb.

Books, movies, many TV shows, interviews - none are immune to this trend. I still blame George Carlin - bet it was a lot before that, though.

I see it far to often on cute pet captions. It just takes a really funny, ironic situation and soils it.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #13712 on: November 06, 2013, 10:31:39 AM »
That's why I like Gabriel Iglesias.  He can be funny without being vulgar. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13713 on: November 06, 2013, 11:02:32 AM »
So much "comedy" has to use foul language. I just read a list of things not to say to our Subway Sandwich Artist. They were pretty funny just for how stupid can people be? It wasn't necessary and not at all funny to put an aside calling the customer rude names and use the f-bomb.

Books, movies, many TV shows, interviews - none are immune to this trend. I still blame George Carlin - bet it was a lot before that, though.

I see it far to often on cute pet captions. It just takes a really funny, ironic situation and soils it.

George Carlin was a wordsmith who used the proper spice for the delivery.  A lot of the comedians who came after carpet bomb with it.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13714 on: November 06, 2013, 11:09:13 AM »

George Carlin was a wordsmith who used the proper spice for the delivery.  A lot of the comedians who came after carpet bomb with it.

Before George Carlin there were Lenny Bruce and Redd Foxx.  Also, many comics who were perfectly clean on TV in the 1950s were absolutely foul in their live performances.  Jonathan Winters comes to mind. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13715 on: November 06, 2013, 11:11:34 AM »
The problem has become when every second person talks like that anyway, the joke ("You can't say that in public, but he just did!") goes flat.

Just standing there shrieking cursewords at the audience is a poor substitute for putting some thought into humour.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #13716 on: November 06, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »

I miss George Carlin a great deal.

Lynnv

« Reply #13717 on: November 06, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »
I live in hotels much of the time (pretty much 5 days a week for about 40-45 weeks a year) due to my job.

Today I am sitting next to a car lot. Which is actually usually fine-they are quiet at night and I am near the beach without being on it.  But they have an alarm going off-and noone there yet to turn it off.  I have been up for several hours, so it isn't like it woke me up.  But it is driving <honk....honk....honk> me <honk....honk....honk> out <honk....honk....honk> of <honk....honk....honk> my <honk....honk....honk> mind <honk....honk....honk>!!!

Also-who buys hotel chairs that leave an average height person (I am 5'6") sitting at the desk trying to work when it feels like you are a kindergartener sitting at the big table for the first time?  For heaven's sake, get hotel desk chairs that match the height of the desk table you put in.  Grrrrrr.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Xandraea

« Reply #13718 on: November 06, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »

THANK YOU for mentioning him! I looked him up and have been laughing my butt off for a good 20 minutes now. Last stand-up I saw was nothing but vulgarity, offensive stereotypes and just not funny. This guy is hilarious!

cwm

« Reply #13719 on: November 06, 2013, 12:19:39 PM »
I'm also being driven up the wall by my keyboard. I knocked over my bottle of acetone and completely ruined the entire bottom row of the one I'd been using. Now I'm stuck with my spare that I make millions of typos on because it has a different key layout...

Depending on what OS you're running, you may be able to change the key mapping within the computer itself, so it's the more familiar layout.

But this only works if you don't actually need to look at the keyboard to type, or if you can physically switch the keys around on the keyboard. Or if you're talking about the actual mapping of the keys, and not going from standard keyboard to ergonomic split keyboard where the keys are in a similar layout, but physically in different positions.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #13720 on: November 06, 2013, 12:51:39 PM »

THANK YOU for mentioning him! I looked him up and have been laughing my butt off for a good 20 minutes now. Last stand-up I saw was nothing but vulgarity, offensive stereotypes and just not funny. This guy is hilarious!

He's a sweetheart, too.  Really nice to his fans.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13721 on: November 06, 2013, 01:06:54 PM »

He's a sweetheart, too.  Really nice to his fans.

Check out Jim Gaffigan.  Clean and hilarious!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #13722 on: November 06, 2013, 03:55:29 PM »
I'm also being driven up the wall by my keyboard. I knocked over my bottle of acetone and completely ruined the entire bottom row of the one I'd been using. Now I'm stuck with my spare that I make millions of typos on because it has a different key layout...

Depending on what OS you're running, you may be able to change the key mapping within the computer itself, so it's the more familiar layout.

But this only works if you don't actually need to look at the keyboard to type, or if you can physically switch the keys around on the keyboard. Or if you're talking about the actual mapping of the keys, and not going from standard keyboard to ergonomic split keyboard where the keys are in a similar layout, but physically in different positions.

It's more akin to the latter, although this keyboard isn't ergonomic - it's just got several keys I use often in very different places, and they're also very different sizes (like my backspace key, which is generally at least two keys wide, is the same size as a normal letter key.) I do generally type without looking so that throws me off big time. But no, it's not a Dvorak or Cyrillic layout or anything like that. ;)

I'll just have to buy a new one. And maybe a new spare, so I don't have to relegate this clunker back to spare status...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

cwm

« Reply #13723 on: November 06, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
I understand your frustration with the different keyboards. PC at work, Mac at home, and I still haven't figured out how to post from the keyboard. Here it's alt+s, but I can't make it work at home on the Mac.

Also, Tumblr. I can't figure out what keys to hit for keyboard shortcuts with Tumblr. It's infuriating, I've been shown at least five times and it just doesn't stick to my brain.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13724 on: November 06, 2013, 04:34:22 PM »
It's like the keyboard on my laptop at home.  I go to press the shift key with my left pinkie, which is normally two keys wide on a normal keyboard and I hit a forward slash.  Who the thought putting the forward slash key inside the shift key was a good idea?!?!?  And this is the laptop I used to take meeting minutes so it is a royal pain in the behind.  I may take my keyboard and plug it in the next time I use the computer.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario