Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1850097 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13725 on: November 06, 2013, 05:36:56 PM »
It'd be nice if keyboards had some kind of standardized layout, instead of "ooh let's put this key here on THIS brand but over there on THAT brand!"

Back on track...my mother's driving me nuts. She just got a new laptop. With Windows 8. She's NOT very technologically savvy at all. And she's taking all that frustration out on me. I understand it's not easy, but I'm not the problem, stop getting mad at me...!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #13726 on: November 06, 2013, 06:39:27 PM »

Ugh. On that note Windows 8 drives me up a wall. I have seriously considered “breaking” my new laptop and putting XP on it.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13727 on: November 06, 2013, 06:54:12 PM »
It'd be nice if keyboards had some kind of standardized layout, instead of "ooh let's put this key here on THIS brand but over there on THAT brand!"

Back on track...my mother's driving me nuts. She just got a new laptop. With Windows 8. She's NOT very technologically savvy at all. And she's taking all that frustration out on me. I understand it's not easy, but I'm not the problem, stop getting mad at me...!

I'm used to laptops that have a number key on the side (with the 9 keys as well as the numbers along the top).  This is a smaller keyboard than most I'm used to. Not quite a netbook but smaller and so there isn't the 9key number entry.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

snowfire

« Reply #13728 on: November 06, 2013, 07:08:11 PM »

Ugh. On that note Windows 8 drives me up a wall. I have seriously considered “breaking” my new laptop and putting XP on it.

Snerk!  I felt the same when I got my laptop which came with Weapon of Mass Frustration also known as Vista.  I wanted a bigger HD anyway, so I got one, and a license for XP.  Yanked the original hard drive out and stashed it in case of emergency and put the bigger drive in and installed XP.  I have now upgraded that laptop to 7, but I won't put Vista or 8 on a machine I have to deal with.

mmswm

« Reply #13729 on: November 06, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »

I've been dealing with the same thing with my mother for months.  Really, I just want to toss her laptop into the pool and make it all end.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Elisabunny

« Reply #13730 on: November 06, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »
That's why I like Gabriel Iglesias.  He can be funny without being vulgar.

THANK YOU for mentioning him! I looked him up and have been laughing my butt off for a good 20 minutes now. Last stand-up I saw was nothing but vulgarity, offensive stereotypes and just not funny. This guy is hilarious!

He's a sweetheart, too.  Really nice to his fans.

Check out Jim Gaffigan.  Clean and hilarious!

Also, Studio C.  Very clean, very funny.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13731 on: November 06, 2013, 08:01:17 PM »
I love Windows 7, will never downgrade to 8.

The uber boss is a lovely, talented and visionary woman. However, she is the champion in procrastination. Today, at 3 pm (I work 8-5), UB walked into my office and mentioned that she needed me to finesse a Powerpoint presentation. That she is delivering Saturday. In another state. At an International conference. Oh, and she needs it done by tomorrow afternoon.  >:(

Oh, just a little presentation. Sixty slides. With terrible design issues, 4 fonts, 8 different text styles. Oh, and once the finessing is done I need to embed a graphic, but we aren't sure if the place where the presentation will be given has live internet. Head meet desk.

Redsoil

« Reply #13732 on: November 07, 2013, 07:33:30 AM »
Windows 7 is awesome, and so logical.  Windows 8...isn't.  However, one can get used to anything.  Presently running 8 on the work computer, and the laptop I bought my husband.  My own laptop and netbook are both 7.

For those struggling with 8, may I suggest using a "shell" program to transform the layout back to 7 style?  Could be handy for those who don't want to muck about with the very different layout.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-and-web-apps/how-to-make-windows-8-look-like-windows-7-50009546/   

http://www.classicshell.net/

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57496506-292/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

Note, I haven't actually installed a shell program, so do make sure it's safe to do so.  The link is simply for information purposes, and I'm not endorsing it.  However, CNET is pretty reputable, and they are the ones who provided the link

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:37:59 AM by Redsoil »
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #13733 on: November 07, 2013, 07:34:52 AM »
People who lay on the horn in non-emergency situations.  All it does it scare people.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13734 on: November 07, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »

I've been dealing with the same thing with my mother for months.  Really, I just want to toss her laptop into the pool and make it all end.

I used to get calls at 11PM from someone who couldn't stop and think about doing things like Cntl+Alt+Delete to do restarts or even to shut the unit off if she needed to do something else.  Finally I told her I wasn't going to be her tech support anymore and she stopped.  Sometimes you gotta do the Tough Love thing.

mmswm

« Reply #13735 on: November 07, 2013, 08:28:51 AM »

I used to get calls at 11PM from someone who couldn't stop and think about doing things like Cntl+Alt+Delete to do restarts or even to shut the unit off if she needed to do something else.  Finally I told her I wasn't going to be her tech support anymore and she stopped.  Sometimes you gotta do the Tough Love thing.

Unfortunately I live with my parents right now, so it's a bit more delicate.  I didn't handle myself too well the other day and I made her cry.  *sigh*
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

squeakers

« Reply #13736 on: November 07, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »
Windows 7 is awesome, and so logical.  Windows 8...isn't.  However, one can get used to anything.  Presently running 8 on the work computer, and the laptop I bought my husband.  My own laptop and netbook are both 7.

For those struggling with 8, may I suggest using a "shell" program to transform the layout back to 7 style?  Could be handy for those who don't want to muck about with the very different layout.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-and-web-apps/how-to-make-windows-8-look-like-windows-7-50009546/   

http://www.classicshell.net/

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57496506-292/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

Note, I haven't actually installed a shell program, so do make sure it's safe to do so.  The link is simply for information purposes, and I'm not endorsing it.  However, CNET is pretty reputable, and they are the ones who provided the link

I'm running a shell and it makes me very, very happy. And, if I ever really wanted to use something from 8... I just have to hover my mouse alongside the right side of the screen and from there can access all the crap they thought I would want to use.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13737 on: November 07, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »
A tv reporter who called a local Civil War site "these hollowed grounds."

Sebastienne

« Reply #13738 on: November 07, 2013, 07:14:42 PM »
A tv reporter who called a local Civil War site "these hollowed grounds."

Well, did they do a lot of digging there?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13739 on: November 07, 2013, 07:20:57 PM »
The bouncing off walls, yelling and then delighted squealing, then pouting and clinginess...all from one person.  Makes me think of how, according to J.M. Barrie, faeries supposedly are only big enough for one emotion at a time.  I have suspected he's part changeling. :)

In all truth, I suspect it's the meds the dr. prescribed him for croup, as the pharmacist did warn me not to give it to him too close to bedtime since it is a steroid.   Course it could also be normal 2 year old behavior, too.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata