Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1737293 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13755 on: November 08, 2013, 01:44:31 PM »
My health insurance company right now.  Apparently my epipens aren't medically necessary.  Ummmm.  The last time I had a reaction I required two injections just to keep me breathing long enough for rescue to get to me.  Then I wound up on a vent for a couple hours before I stabilized.  I'm on the phone (or on hold, to be more specific) to protest.

I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else that someone had a problem with the insurance claming that her husband's pregnancy was a pre-existing condition (and thus wouldn't be covered or something.).
Yeah, pregnancy being a pre-existing condition, in a male non the less, makes it pretty certain that someone made a mistake somewhere or in a lot of places  ::)
Must have been here, Carrote, because I remember that story too. And as for the epipen, mmswm?  If you have another reaction and die, then the insurance company no longer has to cover you, so THEY have saved money!  See how it all works out?   :P

Is that how it works?  :-\

It seems like a lot of stories I hear about medical insurance and benefits etc. in the U.S. involve stuff like "they always deny it the first time you apply even if it's obviously justified, and make you jump through stupid hoops, in the hopes that you'll give up and they won't have to pay". :-\
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Emmy

« Reply #13756 on: November 08, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »
People who write negative online reviews complaining about ridiculous things, and bashing the business for them.

There is a great diner in Denver which specializes in breakfast.  It's a diner.  It's been there a thousand years.  It's in an industrial area, and not a gentrified one, either - right by the train tracks with a bunch of warehouses up the block.  Its core clientele is truckers and blue collar workers, and the menu is features huge portions and lots of carbs.

I read an online review that griped because the pork breakfast burrito wasn't available  in a vegetarian version.  They could make it without pork, but it would just be a tortilla and salsa.  The horror! And the spread for the toast was margarine, not real butter!  ZOMG!  What a horrible place!

Yes, unfair reviews really bother me.  A one star yelp review of one of my favorite restaurants stated the food was excellent, but the reviewer got sick the next day, admitted it was probably the flu and not the food, yet now had a bad association with the restaurant and gave it one star.

mmswm

« Reply #13757 on: November 08, 2013, 01:51:31 PM »
My health insurance company right now.  Apparently my epipens aren't medically necessary.  Ummmm.  The last time I had a reaction I required two injections just to keep me breathing long enough for rescue to get to me.  Then I wound up on a vent for a couple hours before I stabilized.  I'm on the phone (or on hold, to be more specific) to protest.

I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else that someone had a problem with the insurance claming that her husband's pregnancy was a pre-existing condition (and thus wouldn't be covered or something.).
Yeah, pregnancy being a pre-existing condition, in a male non the less, makes it pretty certain that someone made a mistake somewhere or in a lot of places  ::)
Must have been here, Carrote, because I remember that story too. And as for the epipen, mmswm?  If you have another reaction and die, then the insurance company no longer has to cover you, so THEY have saved money!  See how it all works out?   :P

Is that how it works?  :-\

It seems like a lot of stories I hear about medical insurance and benefits etc. in the U.S. involve stuff like "they always deny it the first time you apply even if it's obviously justified, and make you jump through stupid hoops, in the hopes that you'll give up and they won't have to pay". :-\

I think you're right about that.  The ironic part is this sort of attitude actually winds up costing more in the long run. While I'm still arguing with my insurance company, my kids' pediatrician came up with a solution.  I will have a couple epipens as soon as I can get up that way. It's insane though that I have to rely on a doctor that's not even mine (though he used to be) to get what I need to protect my life.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13758 on: November 08, 2013, 02:05:54 PM »

You only hear the bad bad ones. I have had an accident that caused me 17 days in the hospital, 5 surgeries that required hospitalizations, 2 births, a few day surgeries, and numerous tests leading up to these surgeries, plus the usual yearly exams with tests, and a stroke. This begins in 1952, so over several insurance companies and now with Medicare and supplemental. I have never been turned down for anything, and the only terribly delayed payment was when an agent was doing criminal activity with the policies.

I haven't even mentioned my husband's and my children's collecting insurance, but all of them have gone flawlessly.

I really don't know anyone over the years who has been denied procedures or payment, including my mom's cancers and my dad's bypasses. And it is only recently we have been getting medications not insured.

mmswm

« Reply #13759 on: November 08, 2013, 02:25:48 PM »

You only hear the bad bad ones. I have had an accident that caused me 17 days in the hospital, 5 surgeries that required hospitalizations, 2 births, a few day surgeries, and numerous tests leading up to these surgeries, plus the usual yearly exams with tests, and a stroke. This begins in 1952, so over several insurance companies and now with Medicare and supplemental. I have never been turned down for anything, and the only terribly delayed payment was when an agent was doing criminal activity with the policies.

I haven't even mentioned my husband's and my children's collecting insurance, but all of them have gone flawlessly.

I really don't know anyone over the years who has been denied procedures or payment, including my mom's cancers and my dad's bypasses. And it is only recently we have been getting medications not insured.

To be fair, I have had mostly good experiences, but when it goes bad, it goes really, really bad.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13760 on: November 08, 2013, 02:35:54 PM »

To be fair, I have had mostly good experiences, but when it goes bad, it goes really, really bad.

I understand that. Didn't you just call and ask for a different underwriter to approve the epipen? One friend gets two every two years or whenever the old ones expire unless she uses it. I know it's a nuisance, but I'm am wondering that a phone call from the pharmacist didn't take care of it.

mmswm

« Reply #13761 on: November 08, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »

I understand that. Didn't you just call and ask for a different underwriter to approve the epipen? One friend gets two every two years or whenever the old ones expire unless she uses it. I know it's a nuisance, but I'm am wondering that a phone call from the pharmacist didn't take care of it.

Both my pharmacist and my doctor called the insurance company.  It has to go through a formal appeals process.  They're saying that I required further intervention the last time I took the med (iv meds and intubation), that "this method of treatment is ineffective and considered medically unnecessary".  It's nonsense that anybody with a brain can see the folly of, but that's what they're saying.

In the meantime, my kids' pedi has solved the immediate problem, though I can't rely on him to do it again.  But at least I have the epipens while I fight it out with the insurance company.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #13762 on: November 08, 2013, 02:46:51 PM »
up the wall right now. (and reminded because of the people having insurance issues.)

I have a FB friend who is again complaining about the N.H.S. and it's not even about anything really moan worthy.

She has to wait a week to see her GP of choice. Now that may seem unreasonable and if it was her only option I would agree, but she could have been seen the day she called in, but just not with her GP of choice.

In addition to that it's not for a time critical illness it's to get her BP checked and get a repeat prescription (which a nurse can do as it's the contraceptive pill.)

what is it about free services that make some people come out as really entitled?
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

BeagleMommy

« Reply #13763 on: November 08, 2013, 03:01:59 PM »
Last weekend my mother gave us a bag of apples from the farmer's market.  DH, apparently, thinks these apples are nectar from the gods.  I like apples just fine, but I just haven't had an appetite for one.  Here are the conversations so far:

DH:  Did you have an apple?
Me:  No.
DH:  Why?
Me:  I just don't want one right now.
DH:  They're really good apples.
Me:  Okay.  Maybe I'll have one later.

Later
DH:  Did you have an apple yet?
Me:  No, I don't feel like having one.
DH:  I don't understand why not.  I thought you liked apples and these are reallllllllllly good.
Me:  Why is it so important to you that I have an apple?
DH:  Because they're so good and you should have one.
Me:  I'll have one when I'm ready.  Let it go.

Next Day
DH:  Did you have one of those apples yet?
Me:  No.  Why are you fixated on me having an apple?
DH:  Because they're so good and you might complain if they're all gone.
Me:  Seriously?  If I choose not to have one it's okay if everyone else eats them.
DH:  But they're so good, you're missing out.
Me:   >:(

I mean, really, it's an apple.  They have more.

Shalamar

« Reply #13764 on: November 08, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
Don't be so sure.  They don't grow on trees, ya know.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #13765 on: November 08, 2013, 04:02:22 PM »
Movember mustaches. Specifically, the fact that my husband is trying to grow one now for the first time. "Try" is the operative word. I'm not opposed to facial hair. It can be downright attractive on the right person. My husband is not one of those people. Put him in a hoodie with a mustache outside a school and the cops will be called because there's a creeper on site. It looks yucky. But "all the other guys at work are growing one."

I'm now calling Movember "No Scrabble November."  ::)

Hillia

« Reply #13766 on: November 08, 2013, 04:02:44 PM »
The flip side:  I will bring home a small amount of fruit...say one or two apples/peaches/plums.  DH and DS rarely eat fruit, but by golly, as soon as my treats hit the house, they're gone.  So I'll say, oh, if you like those, I'll get more.  I'll buy enough of the item for everyone to enjoy, make sure I leave some for DS/DH, and...no one else will touch them until they rot.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

BeagleMommy

« Reply #13767 on: November 08, 2013, 04:07:51 PM »
The flip side:  I will bring home a small amount of fruit...say one or two apples/peaches/plums.  DH and DS rarely eat fruit, but by golly, as soon as my treats hit the house, they're gone.  So I'll say, oh, if you like those, I'll get more.  I'll buy enough of the item for everyone to enjoy, make sure I leave some for DS/DH, and...no one else will touch them until they rot.

Oh, sing it Sister!  Particularly if I bring home Korean Butter Pears that the store only has once in a while.  They usually sell them 2 for $5.00.  When I buy them, dagnabbit, I want them all to myself.  If I brought home a bagful they won't eat them.

o_gal

« Reply #13768 on: November 08, 2013, 05:43:58 PM »

I think that triggers some gene in men - the "Grog see food running out. Grog must eat food before food disappears."

With my DH, it's kind of the opposite. If we have a reasonable amount of stuff, or a small amount, he'll still eat it at the regular pace. However, look out if I stock up on something. I think he thinks that we have way too much and he Must. Eat. The. Food. So if I stock up on breakfast cereal, it disappears faster than usual. Stock up on peanut butter - oh, he has to make sure he eats all that PB! Stock up on fruit, he'll eat it as fast as he can. I actually have to tell him not to chow down just because there's a temporary surplus.

nuit93

« Reply #13769 on: November 08, 2013, 05:55:30 PM »
Movember mustaches. Specifically, the fact that my husband is trying to grow one now for the first time. "Try" is the operative word. I'm not opposed to facial hair. It can be downright attractive on the right person. My husband is not one of those people. Put him in a hoodie with a mustache outside a school and the cops will be called because there's a creeper on site. It looks yucky. But "all the other guys at work are growing one."

I'm now calling Movember "No Scrabble November."  ::)

I tried just the BF telling that if he doesn't shave this month, I won't either.

Then he pointed out that I don't shave anyways.  Oops.