Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1687168 times)

Carotte

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13935 on: December 01, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
Android.  Or some of the developers for said OS.

We bought a tablet earlier this year, and the thing had an incident recently.  That is, it had to do a factory reset.  This is always annoying, of course.  But the problem is, one of the games I had was not only wiped, but apparently there's no way to back it up, and it doesn't back itself up.  So, all the XP I gained?  Gone.  All the premium currency I'd earned (you can buy it or earn it, and I played several dozen hours to earn it)?  Gone.  The $5 perk I went and purchased to make the game a little less grindy?  Gone.  It's not the developer's fault, as it's my tablet that borked and not the game itself, but I've never had a Windows game that can't have its progress backed up in some fashion.

I mean, I know the solution... leave that game alone from now on.  But I wouldn't have spent real-world time and money on it if it weren't fun, dangit.

Actually I'd blame the game developer, not the tablet. There's an easy and smart way to prevent that, create a game with a login and password, so an actual account that can be retrieved online (so it's stored externally). For a game that has things you can buy I'm actually surprised they didn't go that route. (most likely because it would cost more and brings up security problem, that or they don't care.)

It's not just about when the first tablet has a problem, it's about allowing the customer to play on different supports smartly.

turtleIScream

« Reply #13936 on: December 01, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »
Bread that has green print on the packaging. It is very disconcerting to see what appears to be mold on a brand new loaf.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #13937 on: December 01, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »
Bread that has green print on the packaging. It is very disconcerting to see what appears to be mold on a brand new loaf.

Likewise tissues with a printed pattern on that includes red.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13938 on: December 01, 2013, 08:27:30 PM »
There's a picture going around Pinterest for a "who wears the cake" jar at weddings. You write the bride's name on one jar and the groom's on another. Guests are supposed to donate "bet money" in the jars. Whoever has the most jar money then gets cake in the face. And the couple gets to keep the money.  ::) I'd be tempted to be a smart butt guest and just put  a piece of paper with their names in each jar.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13939 on: December 02, 2013, 07:32:52 AM »
There's a picture going around Pinterest for a "who wears the cake" jar at weddings. You write the bride's name on one jar and the groom's on another. Guests are supposed to donate "bet money" in the jars. Whoever has the most jar money then gets cake in the face. And the couple gets to keep the money.  ::) I'd be tempted to be a smart butt guest and just put  a piece of paper with their names in each jar.

That is disgusting.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13940 on: December 02, 2013, 07:45:45 AM »

That is disgusting.

Thank you! I asked Lucas to swear before our wedding and at our 40th anniversary party NOT to do that! He cooperated

If nothing else, brides and old people spend far too much time getting the makeup on right. Mostly, it's a dignity and respect thing for me, though.

Carotte

« Reply #13941 on: December 02, 2013, 06:32:07 PM »
People that get angry and defensive when you're doing the same thing they do/would do.
I have the habit to mimickingk and "playing on the same level" as the person I'm talking too, things like humor or how I respond to a jab (or if I make one) are based on how the other person act towards me.
ex: SO will (jockingly) point out a flaw in me, I'll do the same.

So it irks me to no end when it comes to him asking "why are you getting all worked up over this issue. You said Xy, I said no, Yx and I'm clearly in the right because blahbmahblah" (both Xy and Yx could be seen as true for now).
Why am I getting all worked up? Because he would, he would be even more set in having his way if the roles were reversed and Yx would never ever be true if he had said Xy.
Grrrrr.

WishUponAStar

« Reply #13942 on: December 02, 2013, 07:17:08 PM »
I have a coworker who is really nice, but his mannerisms drive me up the wall! Some things he does at his desk (while I'm seated right next to him):

*Instead of clearing his throat as most people do, he does a loud, sharp cough. Several times a minute.
*Talking to himself.
*Snorting
*Tapping his head multiple times
*Putting his hands to his lips and exhaling in little short bursts.

Nice guy, but sometimes I just want to say enough already!

Another one: People who are so determined to play Devil's Advocate in every conversation that they will go to embarrassing, absurd lengths to prove you wrong. Worst example I can think of:

I was explaining to somehow how a man I tutored was very rude and abrupt, therefore aggravating to work with. So determined to prove me wrong that his rudeness was his own fault, she burst out defensively, ''Well, maybe he has autism!''  :o Keep in mind, she does not know this man at all and there was nothing to indicate that he had autism at all. I just found it ridiculous that she would bring that up just because she was so determined to be sure I couldn't be right.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #13943 on: December 02, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »
*sigh* My cat drinking out of my water glasses when I am not looking.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #13944 on: December 02, 2013, 11:22:42 PM »
My blasted computer!

First it was the video card. Now it's the power supply! What next? >:(
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Lynnv

« Reply #13945 on: December 02, 2013, 11:27:30 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, mine don't even bother to wait until I am not looking.   I am not sure if that is better (at least I don't end up drinking from the glass without knowing) or worse (they are utterly shameless bad cats).
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

mmswm

« Reply #13946 on: December 03, 2013, 01:21:54 AM »

My dog got into my wine glass tonight.  At 140 pounds, I will assume that a few sips won't hurt him (as that's what he managed to drink before I could clean it up), but man was I annoyed.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #13947 on: December 03, 2013, 01:35:40 AM »
Having a queen size pillow top mattress, and regular size queen fitted sheets, and waking up in the morning to being cocooned by the sheets that have slid off the corner. Double points because the mattress is so thick it doesn't flip, so can't rotate it.

I swear, once hubby and I get a chance and some money, we're purchasing a normal mattress/box spring, and splurging for a mattress pad if we have to, this is getting to be a pain in the badonkadonk!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #13948 on: December 03, 2013, 02:13:24 AM »
Having a queen size pillow top mattress, and regular size queen fitted sheets, and waking up in the morning to being cocooned by the sheets that have slid off the corner. Double points because the mattress is so thick it doesn't flip, so can't rotate it.

I swear, once hubby and I get a chance and some money, we're purchasing a normal mattress/box spring, and splurging for a mattress pad if we have to, this is getting to be a pain in the badonkadonk!

ahem
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/sheet-straps-set-of-4/1014808051
http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Suspender-sheets-smooth-tight/dp/B0014AMBWK
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-4pk-Adjustable-Sheet-Straps-White/16677216

Make sure they are tight without showing too much strain.  If they are too tight they will pop off at the first sign of movement.  If you're like me and tend to move around a lot in bed, I recommend using 2 on each corner in an X pattern.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #13949 on: December 03, 2013, 08:22:21 AM »

At least it's not your vodka and tonic.  That cat walked sideways for a bit.