News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 08:56:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5494969 times)

Piratelvr1121

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13980 on: December 17, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »
BG: over a year ago I started attending one of the Catholic churches in the area and thinking we'd be sticking with that church we gave them our information.

Well sometime last summer I decided it just wasn't for us and we started attending the local Episcopal church where we found our church home.  But our lack of attendance at the Catholic church sure hasn't kept them from sending us mail over the last year and a half.  Along with Christmas cards with offering envelopes tucked inside.

It seems so tacky to me, as it makes it clear they really don't notice or care if you don't go every week so long as you're giving them money.  It wouldn't seem as tacky if they sent a card, then a few weeks later an envelope, or vice versa.  But the envelope tucked into said card?  *wrinkling nose.*
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cwm

« Reply #13981 on: December 17, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »
BG: over a year ago I started attending one of the Catholic churches in the area and thinking we'd be sticking with that church we gave them our information.

Well sometime last summer I decided it just wasn't for us and we started attending the local Episcopal church where we found our church home.  But our lack of attendance at the Catholic church sure hasn't kept them from sending us mail over the last year and a half.  Along with Christmas cards with offering envelopes tucked inside.

It seems so tacky to me, as it makes it clear they really don't notice or care if you don't go every week so long as you're giving them money.  It wouldn't seem as tacky if they sent a card, then a few weeks later an envelope, or vice versa.  But the envelope tucked into said card?  *wrinkling nose.*

I went to Catholic school growing up. We never went to services outside of the school, except for the Smells N Bells ceremonies. (No disrespect intended, it's the family term for Christmas and Easter, and any other important day where they bring out the incense and the fancy gear rather than the normal church service.)

It took five years of mom complaining to the church for them to stop sending us these cards/donation envelopes in the mail. She actually came at them with the argument that they were really wasting all the money on postage to send it out. If they cut down their mailing list to people who were still actively attending, or stopped the mailings altogether and encouraged people to take the return envelopes while they were at services to send in a tithe, they'd save so much money in postage and printing costs, right? Not sure if that worked for her, I was still in elementary school, but it's a fun story.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #13982 on: December 17, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »
Sent you a message, mbbored :) I work for a publishing company and we have a pretty good variety of craft books for both boys, girls, and gender neutral projects.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #13983 on: December 17, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »

I went to Catholic school growing up. We never went to services outside of the school, except for the Smells N Bells ceremonies. (No disrespect intended, it's the family term for Christmas and Easter, and any other important day where they bring out the incense and the fancy gear rather than the normal church service.)

It took five years of mom complaining to the church for them to stop sending us these cards/donation envelopes in the mail. She actually came at them with the argument that they were really wasting all the money on postage to send it out. If they cut down their mailing list to people who were still actively attending, or stopped the mailings altogether and encouraged people to take the return envelopes while they were at services to send in a tithe, they'd save so much money in postage and printing costs, right? Not sure if that worked for her, I was still in elementary school, but it's a fun story.

I've also heard the term "Chreaster" used. :) And that's a good idea, and hopefully the church took her up on that.  Course I guess it can be hard to determine who is an active member when there are some who aren't always able to attend, even if they'd like to.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #13984 on: December 17, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »
DH left the garage open all night. Again. He is very fortunate the local raccoons did not come this way and rummage through the bin.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

mmswm

« Reply #13985 on: December 17, 2013, 09:18:07 PM »
I'm trying to enter the 21st Century, and it keeps kicking me back to the 20th.

I'm upgrading my wireless set-up.  Verizon insists that I use their carpy modem/router, so I connected a brand new high-powered router to it.  Three antennas should cover 4000 square feet, plenty for my 1900 square feet of house.  I also bought a Blueray/DVD player with built-in wireless receiver and installed it in the living room.

The problem?  My living room reduces wireless signals to a pathetic shadow of themselves.  The desktop hard-wired to the modem gets a download time of 75 MBPS.  The notebook computer, when in the same room as Super Powerful Router, gets 55 MBPS.  The same notebook computer gets a lousy 17 MBPS in the living room.  The new Blueray player in the same room gets a third of that, which means that streaming from Amazon Prime keeps losing the signal.  Streaming Amazon Prime and Netflix is the only reason I bought the thing.

My guess is that the interior walls in the main house are interfering, as they are plaster over metal lath -- cordless and cell phones sometimes have trouble as well.  There's a good signal in the dining room, but that means having a cord running across the floor.  I'd really, really prefer not to have to get an electrician in to run a line from the internet connection in the master suite to the main house. 

I'll eventually figure something out, but in the meantime,  ARGH!

It might be something electronic in your living room interfering with the signal or running on the same (frequency? not sure of the technical term). Have you tried changing the channel on the router to see if it helps? My ISP had me do that when I was having a similar problem.

Do you have a cordless phone?  Some cordless phones, particularly older models, do a bang up job of rendering wireless internet connections utterly useless.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #13986 on: December 18, 2013, 12:31:34 AM »
So called "boy toys" versus "girl toys."

I wanted to get crafty presents for my niece and nephew this year. Most craft kits were along the lines of "make sparkly jewelry!"  Then I thought of origami. Most of the kits were "make doll faces or clothes!" or "make fighter planes!" I ended up spending more money than I planned on just to find two straight forward, gender-neutral, origami kits.

Here ya go: http://www.amazon.com/ALEX%C2%AE-Toys-Do-Yourself-Bangles/dp/B006X2AI60

My niece is getting this for Christmas because she loves duct tape. I was going to just go to Lowe's and get her a bunch of different colored rolls, but when I stopped in Learning Express to buy a craft kit for another niece, I spotted this one. They also have another smaller kit which is just different colored/patterned rolls of different sizes, which niece is also getting. So it's not all jewelry oriented.

Duct tape - it's not just for men anymore  :D

I appreciate the thought, but the whole concept that duct tape has to be gendered is what drives me crazy. Because the only way for girls to enjoy duct tape is to have it be pink and flowered and use it to make jewelry, while the boy version is camo and is for covering a cardboard army tank. In my opinion, it's ridiculous that I have to hunt in order to find gender neutral toys or crafts for kids: ones that are particularly targeted for boys or girls.

o_gal

« Reply #13987 on: December 18, 2013, 06:59:13 AM »
So called "boy toys" versus "girl toys."

I wanted to get crafty presents for my niece and nephew this year. Most craft kits were along the lines of "make sparkly jewelry!"  Then I thought of origami. Most of the kits were "make doll faces or clothes!" or "make fighter planes!" I ended up spending more money than I planned on just to find two straight forward, gender-neutral, origami kits.

Here ya go: http://www.amazon.com/ALEX%C2%AE-Toys-Do-Yourself-Bangles/dp/B006X2AI60

My niece is getting this for Christmas because she loves duct tape. I was going to just go to Lowe's and get her a bunch of different colored rolls, but when I stopped in Learning Express to buy a craft kit for another niece, I spotted this one. They also have another smaller kit which is just different colored/patterned rolls of different sizes, which niece is also getting. So it's not all jewelry oriented.
Duct tape - it's not just for men anymore  :D

I appreciate the thought, but the whole concept that duct tape has to be gendered is what drives me crazy. Because the only way for girls to enjoy duct tape is to have it be pink and flowered and use it to make jewelry, while the boy version is camo and is for covering a cardboard army tank. In my opinion, it's ridiculous that I have to hunt in order to find gender neutral toys or crafts for kids: ones that are particularly targeted for boys or girls.

I think my bolded statement got lost - I couldn't find that kit on Amazon but I didn't hunt around for it too much. The second is just duct tape - about 8 different rolls. I think the colors were pink, green, black, yellow, blue, red, white, polka dots and some sort of cheeath/leopard print. I'd call that pretty gender neutral.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #13988 on: December 18, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »
Ugh, all the cartwheel deals on kids wear at Target excludes sleepwear, and guess what I have left to get for presents?  ::) We always do a present opening on Christmas Eve, which is usually new pajamas or something for bedtime so we can have something for them to wear for the obligatory hang the stocking pictures.

I was hoping to be able to get a discount and save some moolah but ah well.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #13989 on: December 18, 2013, 07:37:18 AM »
If you use the Target debit card, you will save 5% on all purchases, including food. I love my red card.  ;)
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #13990 on: December 18, 2013, 07:42:11 AM »
If you use the Target debit card, you will save 5% on all purchases, including food. I love my red card.  ;)

Oh I do have one of those, just was hoping for an extra discount! :)

siamesecat2965

« Reply #13991 on: December 18, 2013, 08:02:05 AM »
Snow. And weather in general. It's now snowed FOUR times here in NJ - including ice and freezing rain, 3 times in the last week, and its not even winter yet!

Yet as I head to MD and VA for the holidays, Sat and Sun in the Hampton Roads area, the forcast is for 70 and 73!!!!!!! with t-storms on sunday!  Ugh. All the clothes I planned to take have to be re-thought, as I need lighter stuff so I can layer.

Thankfully, i'm only visiting family and then my mom, and driving, but its just annoying trying to figure out what I need, and how much of what!

magicdomino

« Reply #13992 on: December 18, 2013, 10:59:37 AM »

The problem?  My living room reduces wireless signals to a pathetic shadow of themselves.  The desktop hard-wired to the modem gets a download time of 75 MBPS.  The notebook computer, when in the same room as Super Powerful Router, gets 55 MBPS.  The same notebook computer gets a lousy 17 MBPS in the living room.  The new Blueray player in the same room gets a third of that, which means that streaming from Amazon Prime keeps losing the signal.  Streaming Amazon Prime and Netflix is the only reason I bought the thing.

It might be something electronic in your living room interfering with the signal or running on the same (frequency? not sure of the technical term). Have you tried changing the channel on the router to see if it helps? My ISP had me do that when I was having a similar problem.

Do you have a cordless phone?  Some cordless phones, particularly older models, do a bang up job of rendering wireless internet connections utterly useless.

The cordless phone is indeed under suspicion, although it is only a year or two old.  Unfortunately, the main house has 1950's wiring and the only telephone jack and co-axial (?) television outlet are both in the living room on the same wall.  Interestingly, the cordless extension in the bedroom often has a weak signal, and sometimes loses it completely. 

I have a repeater, and will give that a try.  It didn't work out with the carpy Verizon router, but maybe Super New Router won't go into cardiac arrest every time the power flickers.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #13993 on: December 19, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »
Being invited to 'like' someone's page over FB.  I generally ignore those, just on principle, but this one time I felt compelled to do it, even though I didn't think anything about the page one way or the other.  The reason is simple; this is a family member who likes to take things personally, and I would definitely be hearing about it later.  Taking one thing with another, it was just easier to click the 'like' button.  There's standing up for your principles, and there's being stubborn.  Long story short, it's just a simple button click, and I'm just not in the mood for his B.S.!  But if my wall starts getting a bunch of posts from that page, I'm unliking it.

Klein Bottle

« Reply #13994 on: December 19, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Right now, at this very moment, in "real time" it is conversational narcissists who talk over people, interrupt, and don't allow me to finish a sentence.  I am sitting here with two of them, (my ex and a good friend of ours), and the two of them have decided to partaken some pre-holiday adult libations. This has had the effect of making them even more loquacious than they normally are, (and these two never shut up even when stone-cold sober), and I have given up on trying to be a participant.  Thus, I opened up my laptop and got online, (and this is not considered to be rude in our relationship, so it's not about answering rudeness with more rudeness.)  I am just sick of being shut down, ignored, talked over. 

Is it me?  This happens to me a lot.  Maybe I don't speak loudly enough, or maybe I'm just dull and nobody wants/needs my input?  I dunno, but it gets old.  Sometimes, I wonder how much certain people even know about me, my opinions, my experiences, because they don't give me much of a chance to speak.  Oh well, this friendly visit is a nice reminder of one of the many things that turned my DH into an ex.      8)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical