Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1788533 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #13995 on: December 06, 2013, 07:54:25 AM »
When DH whines that I gave him my cold. Seriously dude?  Are you really that surprised you caught the common cold in December when

1) Your job involves you going in and out of people's homes, fixing their appliances
2) You live with 3 children, 2 of whom attend public school and one who is two and touches ALL THE THINGS
3) You sleep next to the woman who does much of the care for these kids and is home 24/7 with the youngest one.

Now he usually says it with a jokey tone but he also makes a bigger deal out of getting a cold than I do.  He's learned it from his mother, I've found in the last few years.  I love her but she's a tetch on the hypochondriac side.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mal

« Reply #13996 on: December 06, 2013, 08:41:03 AM »
This will probably be a pet peeve of mine for the rest of my life:

The train I take to work runs every twenty minutes. Yet no matter when I get on, no matter which time between 6 and 10 AM - it's always filled to the brim.
There's standing room only and you often get bumped into or get pieces of luggage in your face or other areas of your body. Once I even got assaulted by an elderly man with a walker (who was, no doubt, just as frustrated with the train situation as I am).

It drives me nuts, but it's also the only way for me to get to work :(

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13997 on: December 06, 2013, 10:21:04 AM »
When DH whines that I gave him my cold. Seriously dude?  Are you really that surprised you caught the common cold in December when

1) Your job involves you going in and out of people's homes, fixing their appliances
2) You live with 3 children, 2 of whom attend public school and one who is two and touches ALL THE THINGS
3) You sleep next to the woman who does much of the care for these kids and is home 24/7 with the youngest one.

Now he usually says it with a jokey tone but he also makes a bigger deal out of getting a cold than I do.  He's learned it from his mother, I've found in the last few years.  I love her but she's a tetch on the hypochondriac side.

He probably follows my brother's rules about colds.

1. When I get a cold, it's because I have not been taking care of myself the way he does.
2. When he gets a cold, it's because I gave it to him.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Shalamar

« Reply #13998 on: December 06, 2013, 10:22:07 AM »
Speaking of getting colds, my mother used to scold me for leaving the house with damp hair, saying "That's why you get colds all the time."  (For the record, I got maybe two or three colds a year - not that bad.)  When I said "It's an old wive's tale that wet hair gives you colds," she answered triumphantly "Then why do you get so many more than I do?"  She didn't like it when I said "Because you work in an office of 20 people, whereas I attend a school populated by hundreds of students."

magicdomino

« Reply #13999 on: December 06, 2013, 11:09:43 AM »
My sister and her willful obliviousness to fiscal reality.

Actually, any person's willful obliviousness to fiscal reality. Especially when it impacts my interactions with them. (Asking for money, always needing rides, they're loudly complaining that they can't eat out or have nice things, trying to make me feel guilty for what I have. etc.)

I have a friend like that.  Today I actually speculated that if she won the Powerball she'd give all the money away.

After my mother passed away, my brothers and I speculated on how long it would take our sister to run through her share of the inheritance.  Not long, not long at all. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14000 on: December 06, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »

He probably follows my brother's rules about colds.

1. When I get a cold, it's because I have not been taking care of myself the way he does.
2. When he gets a cold, it's because I gave it to him.

Sounds about right.  And I swear, folks who get precious about the common cold make me a little punchy.  Seriously? It's the common cold, it's called so because it's common. Granted it's no fun, but unless you are immuno compromised, it's not going to kill you so suck it up and deal with it!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #14001 on: December 06, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »

Sounds about right.  And I swear, folks who get precious about the common cold make me a little punchy.  Seriously? It's the common cold, it's called so because it's common. Granted it's no fun, but unless you are immuno compromised, it's not going to kill you so suck it up and deal with it!

I absolutely agree with you, but given that when I catch a cold, it settles in my sinuses in the form of highlight-marker coloured snot, could I ask you not to use the phrase 'suck it up'? The association of ideas, you know?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:02:19 PM by Free Range Hippy Chick »

Carotte

« Reply #14002 on: December 06, 2013, 12:15:49 PM »

I absolutely agree with you, but given that when I catch a cold, it settles in my sinuses in the form of highlight-marker coloured snot, could I ask you not to use the phrase 'suck it up'? The association of ideas, you know?

Oh yeah, do not suck it up :)
That's what drives me up the wall when my father is sick, he never blow his nose, he's always snorting and that just gives me non e-hell approved thoughts.
After a while I started pelting him with tissue paper pack when I had some by me and he was in throwing distance. That was after 15+ years of telling him not to do that (I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure it's not good for one's self to always snort it "back up".)
Now that I don't live with my parents it's all good again :)

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #14003 on: December 06, 2013, 12:19:55 PM »

Oh yeah, do not suck it up :)
That's what drives me up the wall when my father is sick, he never blow his nose, he's always snorting and that just gives me non e-hell approved thoughts.
After a while I started pelting him with tissue paper pack when I had some by me and he was in throwing distance. That was after 15+ years of telling him not to do that (I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure it's not good for one's self to always snort it "back up".)
Now that I don't live with my parents it's all good again :)

Thank you so much for your assistance with my diet - it's a meal time here...

Moving ON from the snot conversations, ladies and gentlemen... [whimpers] please?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14004 on: December 06, 2013, 12:25:47 PM »
Speaking of getting colds, my mother used to scold me for leaving the house with damp hair, saying "That's why you get colds all the time."  (For the record, I got maybe two or three colds a year - not that bad.)  When I said "It's an old wive's tale that wet hair gives you colds," she answered triumphantly "Then why do you get so many more than I do?"  She didn't like it when I said "Because you work in an office of 20 people, whereas I attend a school populated by hundreds of students."

I always hated this. I swam competitively from age 12 all through college, and would never dry my hair after showering after practice, meets etc.at times, esp in college, walking back to the dorm, my hair would freeze. and everyone would always tell me i was going to get sick. you know what? i never did. not once

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #14005 on: December 06, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »
I have a coworker who is really nice, but his mannerisms drive me up the wall! Some things he does at his desk (while I'm seated right next to him):

*Instead of clearing his throat as most people do, he does a loud, sharp cough. Several times a minute.
*Talking to himself.
*Snorting
*Tapping his head multiple times
*Putting his hands to his lips and exhaling in little short bursts.

Nice guy, but sometimes I just want to say enough already!

I sit right next to his twin sister, so I feel your pain. :/
She has some fabulously annoying habits and to make matters worse, I've been blessed with a) very acute hearing and b) an aversion to unnecessary noise. She seems to be unable to perform any task without making two or three times the normal amount of noise.

Some highlights are:
* Instead of clearing her throat as most people do, she does a very loud, very deep hack that sounds like it's coming from a man who is 6'8" and weighs 350 pounds. At least she doesn't do it all that often.
* Talking to herself. This is constant - all day, every day. Sometimes it's in a normal conversational tone and sometimes in a very audible whisper.
* Snorting, frequently and loudly. And...moistly.
* Dragging her feet on the ground when she walks.
* Practically shouting when she's on the phone.
* Producing a very loud, dramatic intake of breath whenever she encounters something mildly surprising. This is an obvious attempt to get someone to ask her what's up. If no one does, she seeks someone out and tells them whether they want to hear it or not. Usually it's something along the lines of "OOOMMMGGG! These two people you've never heard of in your life and whom I barely know are getting a divorce!!"
* Swallowing so loudly that whenever she takes a drink you can hear her from across the room.

She's also very nosy and rather bossy.

OK. I think I'm finished. She's really not a bad person, believe it or not. Just annoying.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:58:32 PM by bansidhe »
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14006 on: December 06, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »
I was writing an exam.  The guy in front of me kept clearing his throat; it was very high pitched.  Then he had a great, hacking, coughing fit.  I thought, 'Oh, thank [diety].  Now he'll stop clearing his throat!'  Nope, right back to a little 'ahem' every couple of minutes.  I thought I was going to go mad.  And I made sure never to sit anywhere near that guy again.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Adelaide

« Reply #14007 on: December 06, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »
I hate it when guys try to be "armchair coaches" for my martial arts class. I've heard every unsolicited opinion from "Women aren't as strong as men" to "Oh I'd never fight a woman" to "I'd just hit so much harder and it wouldn't be fair." Which might be valid opinions if they were coming from athletes, but from the looks of most of these guys offering opinions they can't even run a mile or do a pull-up without being totally exhausted.  ???

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14008 on: December 06, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
My co-workers who are extremely cold natured but do not carry sweaters with them. Two of them threw tantrums at the restaurant we met at today about it.

BTW, I work with a mixed gender staff and all of them are 25 years of age or older.

carol1412

« Reply #14009 on: December 06, 2013, 03:47:35 PM »
My husband asked once why I always carried a sweater or jacket anytime we went out. Told him that I was responsible for my own comfort, so dress appropriately and carry whatever I think I may need. Never heard another word about it and yes, I'm usually comfortable at restaurants, theaters, etc.