News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 01:01:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5493525 times)

magicdomino

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14010 on: December 20, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »
If I were meant to ski or skate, I would have been born with balance. Nope. I like my feet on the ground and it suits me.

Amen to that. I almost fell off the mountain, did stop the ski lift 3 times and ran over a snowboarder. I'm done

I've always wanted to try snowtubing.  After all, if I'm going to be sliding down the mountain on my butt, I might as well do it on purpose. 

BeagleMommy

« Reply #14011 on: December 20, 2013, 01:26:30 PM »
Substitute skating for fishing/camping and you have my husband.  He's convinced that I don't like camping because "you haven't done it enough".

No, I don't like sleeping on the ground (or in a cabin where the only shower is a communal one), battling insects and being so far out in God's country that the nearest hospital is 18 miles away (and is a combination people hospital/veterinarian).

I am a tried and true city girl.  Roughing it for me is being more than 10 minutes away from a mall.

cwm

« Reply #14012 on: December 20, 2013, 01:32:33 PM »
My boyfriend is also convinced that I'd like to go on a tubing float trip if I tried it. Nope. I want a kayak. At the very least, a canoe with kayak paddles (paddle on both ends, not just one end) and a compotent boatmate. If I'm going to go down a river, I'm going to be in control of where I go. He says that's ridiculous, that floating is just how it's done. Not for me, buster. I got a kayak in elementary school as a Christmas present, after a few years of renting them every summer. I know what I'm talking about.

Besides, half the fun is finding a good set of rapids to go take your boat back to the next day and play around. There's this one place on the Buffalo river where there's a good standing rock and I can take my kayak, nose up to it, and surf in the eddies and not go anywhere. Took me an hour to perfect it the first time. Now it's just second nature to surf the boat, and you sure can't do that on a tube.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #14013 on: December 20, 2013, 03:58:23 PM »
A friend of mine is really bad about this- when he says no to something, that's it. Discussion is expected to end. Full stop, no means no. But when I say no, he takes it as a challenge, trying to argue or change my mind. For example, he's really into The Walking Dead. Me, not so much. I'm just not into that kind of thing. Sure, I can watch a video where somebody compiled all the zombie kills and set it to funny music. But I've got no interest in the show, and sadistic villains like The Governor just disturb me and/or p*ss me off. My friend tried to argue with me about it, wanting to convince me that the show's the greatest thing ever. Likewise MMO's- Online role playing games. He's an MMO butterfly, always trying new ones. I'd rather pick one or two I like and stick with them. And I won't touch MMOs put out by a certain company, after what they did to the one I like to play- they shut it down completely, even though it had a large and loyal playerbase, and was still making a profit.
So I don't trust them not to pull that again, nor do I want to reward them with more money after what they did.
My friend is all like "Well that's an awfully close minded reason not to play a game!"

Luci

« Reply #14014 on: December 20, 2013, 04:54:42 PM »
Buying lightbulbs.

It used to be so easy. Go to the supermarket, buy one in the wattage you wanted - 100 was bright, 40 was cosy, 60 was somewhere in between - spend about 35p, job done.

Now? Honestly, I stand in front of the lightbulb display for twenty minutes just staring at them because I don't understand them any more. All the wattages are different. 11 watts? How bright is that compared to the old 40 watt? I don't know!! They cost 4 a pop because they're supposed to last for years but they just don't and I object to paying 4 for a lightbulb. I have no idea what any of them do any more.

I *know* we're all supposed to be eco-aware and all that stuff and these new lightbulbs are going to Save The Planet, but I confess I still go down to my local pound shop and buy the old type because they're less confusing and about an eighth of the price.

Is this how our parents used to feel when they couldn't set the video?

I was the first in our family to program the VCR! The instructions were really, really good. I was 44 at the time with at the time with a 20 year old and an 18 year old. I didn't balk a bit. Lucas and I also got the first cell phone in the family. Bag phone. A little bit big for the kids to carry around campus. (In answer to your 'is this how our parents felt?' question. So, in my case, no.)

I realize that the US is three times as populous that when I first started shopping and most of the people are a far more affluent than we were then, which means a lot more generic and small brand products, far more than three times the cars on the road, a lot more highspeed and fastmoving highways, as well as just the scientific achievements which result in a better life and a lot more stuff - "STUFF".

Your lightbulbs and the new laws are a major problem, as well as the amount of shelf space taken up with pain relievers - six which say "12 mg" of the same ingredient  in about four different sized bottles - and the amount of personal products! There are four different brands of incontinent care, each in about five different absorbancies as well as at least four different size packages. Ten years after I was done, I was asked by a single father to help his pubescent daughters. Oh, dear. I managed with name brands and two absorbancies. Even the size of a can of Spagettios (or your favorite canned starchy salty porduct may be) has changed! And I'm not a bit thinner.

Yes, I am driven up the wall! Nice view from here, isn't it?

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #14015 on: December 20, 2013, 05:46:53 PM »
Luci, retail in the US drives me crazy. Too much variety is as bad as not enough, in my opinion. I do not want to stand in front of a huge shelf packed with every possible, conceivable variation and try to figure out which of 50 is best for me. I prefer to have 5, pick the closest to what I want and move on. The time wasted and terrible feeling of "am I really getting the right whatever?" are just awful.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #14016 on: December 20, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »
My sympathies. I'm the same way with skiing and haven't been in many years. I really just don't enjoy it.  Well, I'll amend that. I didn't mind cross country skiing but I don't particularly care for downhill.  I fall down a lot and am not good at getting up.  It's not fun to me at all but growing up I kept getting dragged on skiing trips and the last time our last day we went when the hills were icy and I'm not confident even when the snow is soft and powdery.

That was my last time on the slopes and I'm not real eager to get back on them. Plus I just don't like how the boots force you to walk.

Luci, retail in the US drives me crazy. Too much variety is as bad as not enough, in my opinion. I do not want to stand in front of a huge shelf packed with every possible, conceivable variation and try to figure out which of 50 is best for me. I prefer to have 5, pick the closest to what I want and move on. The time wasted and terrible feeling of "am I really getting the right whatever?" are just awful.

That is annoying.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #14017 on: December 20, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Getting sales phone calls for the boyfriend that go like this:

Me: Hello?

Person: Good evening, is Boyfriend there?

Me: Ah. May I have your name and the reason you're calling?*

Person: Is Boyfriend there?

Me: Please tell me your name and why you're calling.

Person: I need to speak to Boyfriend.

Me: Are you selling something?

Person: Is Boyfriend there? I need to talk to him. (Sounding snippy now)

Me: (restating) May I ask who is calling and why?

Person: (HANGS UP ON ME).

*I was raised to handle phone calls this way so I can hand over the phone and say it's X calling about Y.

I don't usually get caught in this game of dodgephone often, however when I do it's exceedingly frustrating if I don't know whether it's a phone call Boyfriend is expecting or not? Why can't they just say "Oh! I'm Bob, calling about Dalek Plungers" or something of that sort? Why pretend they aren't selling something?

It has gotten to a point that if these callers won't tell me why they're calling or who they are, I say I'm sorry and hang up on them.
Who is the Doctor?

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #14018 on: December 20, 2013, 09:46:51 PM »
Likewise MMO's- Online role playing games. He's an MMO butterfly, always trying new ones. I'd rather pick one or two I like and stick with them. And I won't touch MMOs put out by a certain company, after what they did to the one I like to play- they shut it down completely, even though it had a large and loyal playerbase, and was still making a profit.
So I don't trust them not to pull that again, nor do I want to reward them with more money after what they did.
My friend is all like "Well that's an awfully close minded reason not to play a game!"
Was that Faunasphere?  I hated to see that go.  My Singing Monsters, while fun, is nowhere near the same.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luci

« Reply #14019 on: December 20, 2013, 10:57:22 PM »

Me: Ah. May I have your name and the reason you're calling?.......

Stop right there. First of all, the caller is rude or unprofessional to say, "Is he there?" The question should be, "May I speak to Boyfriend, please." Still, your response to either greeting is the same.

Your response should be, "No. This is his wife/girlfriend/Ms. Tardis. May I take a message?" or "Yes. May I say who is calling?" and hand the phone over.

Then it will get a message or information about when he can be reached at the number in the first instance or an alternative and a polite parting, or done with my part in the second.

I have never played that kind of back and forth that you have told us. I have always felt that asking who is calling is kind of intrusive and have never done it but I do know there is a school of thought that says that should be done.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #14020 on: December 21, 2013, 12:10:59 AM »
Large busy shopping centers that don't provide cart corrals in the parking lot. *cough Snowden Square cough*  Most people are too lazy to take the carts back into the stores so they leave them in the parking lot.  Where they end up hitting cars and getting in the way of parking. 

I went to 3 stores in the shopping center.  Store 1, I came out to find 2 carts up against the side of my car.  Store 2, I pulled into a parking space as someone was LEAVING a cart there and didn't move it.  Store 3 had a zombie cart rolling down the parking aisle aiming for a curb at the back of the lot.

It's a busy shopping center, you'd think they could afford some cart corrals

Luci

« Reply #14021 on: December 21, 2013, 02:09:32 AM »
^The Day I Helped Justice: Someone did that just as I was pulling into the cart-occupied space. In order for me to get into the space, I had to block her car. I idled in the aisle while I jumped out and put the cart away. I chalked up extra points because she had left a bag of McDonald's debris in the cart, which I handed to her with a smile saying, "I think you forgot this." It was warm and she had her car window open.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #14022 on: December 21, 2013, 07:57:24 AM »
Okay, now, that's funny.  ;D

It bugs me when I'm logging in on different sites (like a certain fanfiction site), and you have to 'verify that you're human' by typing in a code that appears in a box.  The problem with that is, I usually have a heck of a time reading said code.  "Is that an 'S' or a '5'? *gets it wrong* You stink..."

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #14023 on: December 21, 2013, 09:37:14 AM »
Okay, now, that's funny.  ;D

It bugs me when I'm logging in on different sites (like a certain fanfiction site), and you have to 'verify that you're human' by typing in a code that appears in a box.  The problem with that is, I usually have a heck of a time reading said code.  "Is that an 'S' or a '5'? *gets it wrong* You stink..."

Ugh, that happens to me all the time.  It seems like they get more and more illegible as time goes by, too.  One day humans will be unable to decipher them, while the computers will become advanced enough to figure it out.  Then it'll switch: if you can accurately identify the captcha, you'll be denied access because you obviously aren't a human.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #14024 on: December 21, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »

Me: Ah. May I have your name and the reason you're calling?*

Person: Is Boyfriend there?

Me: Please tell me your name and why you're calling.

Person: I need to speak to Boyfriend.

Me: Are you selling something?

Person: Is Boyfriend there? I need to talk to him. (Sounding snippy now)

Me: (restating) May I ask who is calling and why?

*I was raised to handle phone calls this way so I can hand over the phone and say it's X calling about Y.

I don't usually get caught in this game of dodgephone often, however when I do it's exceedingly frustrating if I don't know whether it's a phone call Boyfriend is expecting or not? Why can't they just say "Oh! I'm Bob, calling about Dalek Plungers" or something of that sort? Why pretend they aren't selling something?

It has gotten to a point that if these callers won't tell me why they're calling or who they are, I say I'm sorry and hang up on them.

And this is why I call people and say, "Hi, my name is LadySnowdon and I'm calling from *MyBusinessPlace*.  I'm looking for Bob Smith.  Is he available?".  The person can say, "Yes, one minute" or "No, he's not available, can I help you/leave a message" or whatever and there's no hard feelings!  My new boss was stunned that it only took me a day to work through 40 or so phone calls, and that there's only a few people who haven't responded yet.  Being clear about your reason for calling is key!