Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1737505 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14025 on: December 09, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
I have allergies and have been getting hives, general itchiness and it makes it hard to sleep.

DS let his alarm go off for an hour this morning. I got less than 5 hours sleep last night and it is not good.

Dr. F.

« Reply #14026 on: December 09, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »
Today was a brief break between two winter storms. So, I did a huge amount of errand-running while the roads are clear. I went to 5 different places (not counting the nice restaurant for lunch).

Got home and discovered that I had neglected to buy toilet paper - which I kinda need if I'm going to be holed up in the house for a couple days. Note: I could have purchased TP at at least 3 of those 5 places I visited. So, I had to run out yet again in freezing rain. Yuck!

In a related peeve, I have now tried 3 times to purchase a replacement for the handle of my bathtub faucet. NONE of them have fit. Apparently they change the exact geometry of how the handle fits onto the thing in the fixture (don't know the name). Otherwise, all 2 are the same size and layout. <is cranky>

Nikko-chan

« Reply #14027 on: December 10, 2013, 05:34:02 AM »
The fact we don't have money so I can get a bus pass for the day to look for jobs yet we have enough money for my mom's pack a day smoking habit.   >:(

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14028 on: December 10, 2013, 07:11:18 AM »
We've just come back from a vacation.  As usual, we notified the post office to have our mail held for pick-up.

Guess what? Three weeks worth of mail had been stuffed into our little apartment mail box.  With the holiday season that means at least four pounds of catalogs alone. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14029 on: December 10, 2013, 07:15:09 AM »
This applies to a specific situation, though I'm keeping it vague intentionally, but it can be applied to many things in life in general.

I'm currently working on a project.  My usual helper is my sibling, but he is currently unavailable. I have done this particular project many times over the course of my life and have been paid to do it on a freelance basis. It's safe to say, I know my poopadities.

My main partner in this project and I were going over supplies, he kept interjecting that we needed to go with this product or that product instead of the tried and true products I've used for years, insisting that these other products were so much better.  Now they are perfectly fine products, but cannot be used for this particular project.  We went back and forth on it and I told him that I was not using the products he recommended.  It simply will not work for this.  He finally decided to speak to a professional and they tell him to go with my list of supplies, that the others will not work for this project.  <sigh>  I did get a good chuckle when he called to tell me I was correct, though he did preface the conversation with "Don't laugh, but...".

I find out after we start actually doing project that he has NEVER worked on this kind of project.  You were really arguing with me over this when you've never done it before? Not to mention, he's seen my finished projects before.  That alone should say that I know what I'm doing. At least he is catching on really quickly.  He was proactive and watched a few videos on it. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14030 on: December 10, 2013, 11:58:38 AM »
Feeling like I have wasted a day  >:(, especially after school was closed for two days due to the ice storm.

First, DD couldn't be sick on a snow day.  She had to go sick today.

Then, DS's dermatologist's office couldn't give accurate directions for nothing.  We followed two different sets of directions from two people, got lost both times, and had to reschedule.  "Across the street" is not "down the street".  Now he's not feeling well and he's wasted a day (and the time spent tootling around).

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14031 on: December 10, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Those crazy directions to get somewhere!

Once is was 'across the road'. She didn't mean the road on front of where we were staying, but across the highway going behind the block of houses across the road.

Once is was 'across from Place'. No, it was 1/4 mile south on the other side of the street. Say that! I expect to see the facility when I am standing at Place.

Then there was 'across from Building'. We live next door to Building. There are no apartments anywhere that I can see! Well, one can see Building from that apartment, but it's two parking lots over with two roads and a small shop between them.

cwm

« Reply #14032 on: December 10, 2013, 02:33:51 PM »
This is why at various jobs I'm always the person to take phone calls about directions. I start out with what direction they're coming from and give them street names, approximate distances, and landmarks. For example, get off the highway on Main Street, you'll turn right at the light going east. You'll go about half a mile, you'll pass two gas stations on the left. Turn left at 5th Street, there's a giant Starbuck's there. Stay on 5th Street through a few doglegs, it'll turn itself into Lane Road. We're about a mile down Lane Road on the right, here's our address. If you get to 21st Street, where the giant pink building is, you've gone too far.

Heck, when I worked at the outdoor store right off the highway, I memorized the exit numbers for both of the major highways that customers could take in. I'd tell them "Get off at Exit 271, Streetname, and turn right." People were amazed that I could remember that, but they forgot that I lived across town and used to take the major highway in to work before the second highway ended the massive construction project. I knew the exits because I took them every day, and coming from the opposite direction literally meant changing if they turned left or right when they got off the highway, that was it. And I have a mind for trivia and miscellanea like that.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #14033 on: December 10, 2013, 02:51:10 PM »
There is a series of commercials for a car company that DH absolutely detests.  He makes this known every.single.time.the.commercials.run.

Not only that, he has an argument with the commercials as if the actors can hear him.  Of course, if I tell him to just change the channel or, heaven forbid, use the mute button I get accused of not understanding why the commercials bother him.  ::)

Sometimes I'm really glad I have a book.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14034 on: December 10, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »
There is a series of commercials for a car company that DH absolutely detests.  He makes this known every.single.time.the.commercials.run.

Not only that, he has an argument with the commercials as if the actors can hear him.  Of course, if I tell him to just change the channel or, heaven forbid, use the mute button I get accused of not understanding why the commercials bother him.  ::)

Like it is a good job I live alone whenever Survivor is on and they have the Redemption Island competition.  They call it a duel.  There are three people participating.  It isn't a 'duel'!  I yell at the TV every week.  Yes, yes, I need to get a life.  Why do you ask?  ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #14035 on: December 10, 2013, 06:26:25 PM »

To throw at him you mean? Or is that just me?

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #14036 on: December 11, 2013, 07:11:21 AM »
Waking up 1.5 hours before my alarm. I mean, I got 7 hours of sleep, so I'm not complaining about that, but I'm driving 6 hours today and I would prefer to be super-rested.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

turtleIScream

« Reply #14037 on: December 11, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
I am irritated that the major deciding factor for closing schools or keeping them open is how clear the roads are. We have 7" of snow, but the roads are clear, so schools are open. Of course the roads are clear; the snowplows ran all.night.long. I was woken up no fewer than 6 times by the flashing lights and scraping sounds of the plows. I would rather drive my kids to school on snowy, icy roads than drive when I am this sleep-deprived.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14038 on: December 11, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »
Being sick. :P  I've had a cold but then last night I just couldn't get warm enough, then later I was burning up, but according to my DH I wasn't running a fever (no thermometer in the house last night, fixed that today.) I didn't sleep well at all and of course how much sleep I get depends on the munchkin.

If I'm lucky he'll stay in the portacrib and I can convalesce on the couch. : P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #14039 on: December 11, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
I've just worked out that the reason some of my music on my tablet doesn't play the way I expect is not that I have shuffle set but that if I transferred it from my laptop, for some reason it rearranges every album alphabetically by track. Last month I spent far too long beating it into submission when it convinced itself that double disk compilation albums were actually 48 different albums (on the bright side, I now, for the first time ever, understand music tags, because I had to learn). This time, I have the Christmas music (spellchecker has for some unknown reason just fixed that to Christmas mucus) because I like it while I'm cooking, with the huge 280 track box set. I only realised it was alphabetical when it played The First Noel five times in quick succession (Alfred Deller, the Choir of Canterbury Cathedral, the Choir of St John the Divine, Old Uncle Tom Choirmaster and All). I should have noticed at the big batch of German carols - all Der Something or Die Something. Fortunately I bought it from Amazon and can download it again, because the thought of retagging 280 tracks...

I think I might go back to Derek Jacobi reading the M R James ghost stories. I like those at Christmas.

I would just like technology to do what it's supposed to the first time, you know? And if this downloads into the wrong order again...