Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1750730 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14040 on: December 11, 2013, 12:38:38 PM »
The feeling like I've joined the "Get off my lawn!" generation.

My son's dentist went paperless, so when I had to fill out paperwork, it was actually on a tablet.  After messing around with only the first form, and getting it all turned around for 15 minutes, I took it back to the desk and admitted defeat.  The receptionist had to come out and fill it out for me  :-[.  The dentistry itself was great, and I know the tablet is "greener", but I guess I feel there should be a paper option.  As for being green-after all, a factory had to make the tablet.

(Christmas mucus  ;D)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #14041 on: December 11, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »
There is a series of commercials for a car company that DH absolutely detests.  He makes this known every.single.time.the.commercials.run.

Not only that, he has an argument with the commercials as if the actors can hear him.  Of course, if I tell him to just change the channel or, heaven forbid, use the mute button I get accused of not understanding why the commercials bother him.  ::)

Sometimes I'm really glad I have a book.

To throw at him you mean? Or is that just me?

I would never throw a book at him.  That would be disrespectful to the book.  Maybe I could try a spray bottle of water.  It worked with the dog.

cwm

« Reply #14042 on: December 11, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »
There is a series of commercials for a car company that DH absolutely detests.  He makes this known every.single.time.the.commercials.run.

Not only that, he has an argument with the commercials as if the actors can hear him.  Of course, if I tell him to just change the channel or, heaven forbid, use the mute button I get accused of not understanding why the commercials bother him.  ::)

Sometimes I'm really glad I have a book.

To throw at him you mean? Or is that just me?

I would never throw a book at him.  That would be disrespectful to the book.  Maybe I could try a spray bottle of water.  It worked with the dog.

I know the feeling. BF goes off on the same commercials, asks the exact same questions about shows we watch that haven't been answered yet, asks me what's going on when I'm literally sitting there watching it for the first time with him, and brings up the exact same arguments from the websites he goes to. I'm starting to say "As I said last time," before anything I respond with. Pretty soon I'll have to make a soundboard of myself on my phone for canned responses. It'll be easier than actually talking.

The wors is when he says, "Well, I know you're going to say this, but..." No. Just stop there. If you know what I'm going to say, then don't bring it up. I won't discuss it again. This is where the soundboard will come in handy.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #14043 on: December 11, 2013, 01:09:25 PM »
While we're complaining about significant others and TV watching, sometimes while we're watching a show I can't hear one of the lines. (Don't get me started on the trend of alternating dramatically whispered conversation scenes with dramatically loud action scenes.) So I ask DH "what did he/she say?" and instead of just repeating the last line he launches into an explanation of the plot of the episode. Grrr. I get all that, I just didn't hear the last few words and while he's explaining I'm missing more stuff.  >:(
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14044 on: December 11, 2013, 02:54:08 PM »
When you pull a load of laundry out and don't notice that one spot that hasn't dried fully until you put the garment on.  It's always in a very uncomfortable spot, too!

cwm

« Reply #14045 on: December 11, 2013, 03:23:56 PM »
When you pull a load of laundry out and don't notice that one spot that hasn't dried fully until you put the garment on.  It's always in a very uncomfortable spot, too!

Ooooh, the worst!

Or the work boots that are so old they leak, but you've let them sit out for three days, so they should be dry by the time you go back to work again. Key words being should be.

Shalamar

« Reply #14046 on: December 11, 2013, 03:53:44 PM »
(Don't get me started on the trend of alternating dramatically whispered conversation scenes with dramatically loud action scenes.)

I've been watching The Shield on Netflix on my iPad at the gym, and I've found that while most of the actors are easy to hear, the actor who played their captain favoured soft-spoken, dramatic line readings.  Therefore, every time he's in a scene, I have to crank the volume up - and then, when there's a shootout in the next scene, I'm nearly rendered deaf.

While I'm on the subject of annoying things, it drives me up the wall when someone who asked me to do some work for them comes up to my desk and stares at me expectantly - and is stunned if I have to say "I'm sorry, I haven't had a chance to do it yet."  I don't know if this person thinks that I'm sitting around all day twiddling my thumbs, but he never seems to think that I might be busy with other work, too.

Carotte

« Reply #14047 on: December 11, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »

Ooooh, the worst!

Or the work boots that are so old they leak, but you've let them sit out for three days, so they should be dry by the time you go back to work again. Key words being should be.

Or the dreaded stepping in some water after putting your socks on
*shudder*

Hillia

« Reply #14048 on: December 11, 2013, 03:56:27 PM »
(Don't get me started on the trend of alternating dramatically whispered conversation scenes with dramatically loud action scenes.)

I've been watching The Shield on Netflix on my iPad at the gym, and I've found that while most of the actors are easy to hear, the actor who played their captain favoured soft-spoken, dramatic line readings.  Therefore, every time he's in a scene, I have to crank the volume up - and then, when there's a shootout in the next scene, I'm nearly rendered deaf.

While I'm on the subject of annoying things, it drives me up the wall when someone who asked me to do some work for them comes up to my desk and stares at me expectantly - and is stunned if I have to say "I'm sorry, I haven't had a chance to do it yet."  I don't know if this person thinks that I'm sitting around all day twiddling my thumbs, but he never seems to think that I might be busy with other work, too.

Or the companion - if it's dramatic, we must shoot it at night, or in a darkened warehouse, or underground - anything so that the audience can't actually see what's happening except for occasional flashes.  I blame the X Files for starting this trend.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

mmswm

« Reply #14049 on: December 11, 2013, 04:16:22 PM »

Ooooh, the worst!

Or the dreaded stepping in some water after putting your socks on
*shudder*

Oh, goodness!  I hate that!  Especially terrible is just-from-the-dryer-warm socks on a morning that's 20 below zero F (from my days in ND)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #14050 on: December 11, 2013, 04:42:30 PM »
Or the companion - if it's dramatic, we must shoot it at night, or in a darkened warehouse, or underground - anything so that the audience can't actually see what's happening except for occasional flashes.  I blame the X Files for starting this trend.

Hostages is terrible with that -- after one episode I told my husband that if the lighting got any worse, I'd need night vision goggles just to see the show.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14051 on: December 11, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
Stepping in something wet that is not water is way worse.

Lynnv

« Reply #14052 on: December 11, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »

Hostages is terrible with that -- after one episode I told my husband that if the lighting got any worse, I'd need night vision goggles just to see the show.

Absolutely!!!  I prefer the shows that maintain the fiction that dark is really only about as dark as twilight.    I hate shows and movies that are so dark that I can't see what is happening.   
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14053 on: December 11, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »
Stepping in something wet that is not water is way worse.

Indeed!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14054 on: December 11, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »

Movies that were 3D in the theaters, once on DVD, end up looking very dark.  There are parts of the last Harry Potter movie where I really can't see what's going on.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata