Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1782422 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14190 on: December 21, 2013, 08:30:50 PM »
I don't get as severe a reaction as you but wearing wool makes me itch something fierce.  It's a family thing, I think.  My uncle used to wear his pajama bottoms underneath his wool trousers back in the day.

I can see you being OK with rabbit wool; it's a different animal, after all.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hillia

« Reply #14191 on: December 21, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »
I have no idea about allergies, but maybe the lanolin is what triggers a sheep-fiber allergy while rabbit doesn't?  Maybe alpaca, llama, other types of wool would also work for the allergic. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

snowfire

« Reply #14192 on: December 21, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
I also get itchy from wool. My solution, which may or may not work for others, was to get some super lightweight silk underlayers.  I have a couple of different tops, either crew, V or turtleneck and some silk "long johns" bottoms.  For me, that is enough to keep the "itchy twitchys" from happening.  Also worked nicely when the lining of my suede pants shredded.  I just cut the lining out and wore my silks under them. 

Another advantage, the silks are washable and since they are next to your skin, you can wash them as often as needed and the wool or whatever doesn't need to go to the cleaners nearly as often.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14193 on: December 21, 2013, 10:15:10 PM »
I also get itchy from wool. My solution, which may or may not work for others, was to get some super lightweight silk underlayers.  I have a couple of different tops, either crew, V or turtleneck and some silk "long johns" bottoms.  For me, that is enough to keep the "itchy twitchys" from happening.  Also worked nicely when the lining of my suede pants shredded.  I just cut the lining out and wore my silks under them. 

Another advantage, the silks are washable and since they are next to your skin, you can wash them as often as needed and the wool or whatever doesn't need to go to the cleaners nearly as often.

Not a solution for me right now, unfortunately.  Too many hot flashes - I'd expire from heat exhaustion, I think.   :D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #14194 on: December 21, 2013, 10:48:50 PM »
I'm also allergic to wool - and it's not the lanolin, I've used lanolin-based lotions over the years with utterly no reaction. People never believe me when I say that... *sigh*
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Snooks

« Reply #14195 on: December 22, 2013, 04:20:13 AM »
I'm allergic to wool. As I'd always known I was allergic I never wore it so didn't know what happened when I came into contact with it. After an early date with DH I found out because he wore a wool sweater, big red rash all  over my skin where I'd been leaning on him. MIL clearly never believed DH and continued to knit/buy wool things as gifts until her knitting while next to me caused a rash to spread across my hands. It took about a month for it to fully disappear, worst Christmas present ever.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14196 on: December 22, 2013, 07:18:13 AM »
I'm also allergic to wool - and it's not the lanolin, I've used lanolin-based lotions over the years with utterly no reaction. People never believe me when I say that... *sigh*

Same here. Lanolin doesn't bother me that I've noticed.  Even wearing layers under wool clothing doesn't stop the itching and hive reaction.  All it does is make me hotter and the hives worse.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #14197 on: December 22, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
Unfortunately in some lines of work it is not always advisable to identify who you are and where you are calling from until you are speaking to the person you want to reach, eg. therapists' offices.

Even then, I think you could say "Tell him it's Jane Doe. Please ask him to call me at $number." I would expect a caller in that situation to either give that sort of identification without explanation, or to politely say something like "it's personal. Thanks anyhow," rather than do their best impersonation of a debt collector.

Boyfriend is quite good at informing me if he is expecting a call from X. The calls he expects are usually from people who say something like: "Hello, this is John Smith from the Gallifrey medical office, is Boyfriend there?"

For surprise calls, people are usually happy to say "Oh! Hey, this is the Doctor. Boyfriend said I could stop by any time to pick up the sonic screwdriver he borrowed. Is it all right if I pop by?"

Thusly, when people get defensive and only ask if Boyfriend is there and won't tell me who they are or why they're calling; I get very dodgy and suspicious of the caller. They can at least say "I need to speak to him about X." I suspect they do this because they want the proper audience to hear their sales pitch. Still, it is frustrating!
Who is the Doctor?

magicdomino

« Reply #14198 on: December 22, 2013, 08:11:21 PM »
Update on the wireless set-up.  It is definitely the walls.  Unplugging the cordless phone made no difference; changing the channel made only a little improvement.  Last night, I tried a repeater, set within sight of the dining room window, thus avoiding the brick exterior and two plaster interior walls.  Five bars!  An entire episode of Cadfael without stopping!  Hooray!

Earlier today, I sat down to watch an episode of Mythbusters while my nails dried.  The repeater dropped the connection.  Twice.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14199 on: December 22, 2013, 08:42:13 PM »
Update on my neighbour who turns in my driveway when I haven't shovelled yet.  I spoke to him today when we were both out clearing the driveway and let him know about the issue with my driveway not melting unless it is above 0.  He isn't going to do it anymore and he's going to let his housemates know, too.

I tried to be really casual about it and he was very nice so I hope it's all good.
Ontario

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14200 on: December 22, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »
When a Christmas package you send to a friend gets stolen and it's the next day before your telecom provider provides the voicemail message about it.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14201 on: December 22, 2013, 08:51:08 PM »
Luci, retail in the US drives me crazy. Too much variety is as bad as not enough, in my opinion. I do not want to stand in front of a huge shelf packed with every possible, conceivable variation and try to figure out which of 50 is best for me. I prefer to have 5, pick the closest to what I want and move on. The time wasted and terrible feeling of "am I really getting the right whatever?" are just awful.

Me three. And while I try and find the non-stinky aka up scented version of something, I've been known to grab what I think is the one, only to find out, once I get it home, I've gotten lemon or other scented trash bags!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14202 on: December 22, 2013, 09:09:06 PM »
Lucas is allergic to sheep's wool and lanolin - not sure about alpaca. I just didn't wear it when I had it. Anyway, that's 50 years of no wool for me and reading labels on lotions for him - some of those years before the ingredient labels were the law, so we just had to go by what his mom had learned when he was a kid.  The brand Baby Wipes has lanolin, and innumerable products touted "Now! With lanolin!" That helped a lot. We never ate lamb or mutton, so I kind of wonder about that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:16:30 PM by Luci45 »

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #14203 on: December 22, 2013, 10:15:02 PM »
When a Christmas package you send to a friend gets stolen and it's the next day before your telecom provider provides the voicemail message about it.

Oh my. That is completely unacceptable. I hope you can get a refund or replacement for your friend.
Who is the Doctor?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14204 on: December 22, 2013, 11:23:23 PM »

Oh my. That is completely unacceptable. I hope you can get a refund or replacement for your friend.

Her message said that the $50 insurance covers only damage by the post office, not theft.  There apparently was a rash of thefts in that area.

I am peevish beyond belief.  I know it isn't my fault, but from now on I will have to pay for a confirmation signature.  She was home all day and it was stolen either from the downstairs area or from right in front of her door.