Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1861026 times)

Hillia

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14205 on: December 22, 2013, 11:38:05 PM »
By tomorrow I will have regained my sense of proportion, but right now I am irked no end.

Back in June, after consulting with DH, I emailed his brother about going in together to get their parents a flat screen TV for Christmas.  The IL's TV was pretty old, with a small screen.  BIL replied that they didn't want a new TV, they had refused to use his flat screen when it was offered (he lives with them), so it wasn't a good idea. OK, fine, this is very typical of ILs, FIL in particular - if you buy something nice, there's a lot of grumbling about how expensive it was, and how he can get the same thing for five dollars at the thrift store.  Whatever.  I spent the next 6 months racking my brain to find something to give them, and finally settled on a 3 month fruit of the month club from Harry and David.

What shows up on my FB feed just now?  BIL crowing about the great 50" LED TV that 'Santa' brought to MIL.  DH just laughs, and points out that BIL really bought the TV for himself because *he* doesn't want to watch the old clunker, and that's almost certainly true.  It's just - ugh.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Dawse

« Reply #14206 on: December 23, 2013, 07:47:56 AM »
The parking on my street is winding me up something fierce today. The road is kind of T-shaped, with on street parking along the right hand side of the road, and two parking areas at the top end, on either side of the road. We live slap bang in the middle of the road, where there should be an on street space in front of the house. In the middle of the day, there's obviously plenty of room when everyone is out at work. Along the length of the road, there's room for at least nine or ten cars if everybody shuffles up a bit - but nobody seems to bother.

SO OFTEN I get home and there's no room to park anywhere near my house. There's nearly always plenty of room in the two little off-road spots, and in all fairness they're not far, but when it's late at night and I'm tired and I've been working all day and it's cold - that extra ninety seconds it takes me to get home are sometimes very annoying. Unnecessarily so, I admit - but when everyone has parked justthatlittlebit too near everyone else for me to park in front of my house, and if everyone had shuffled up another two feet you could get another two cars along the road, and it's dark and raining, it just seems really rude to not take into consideration how much room you leave for everyone else.

Maybe Christmas is just stressing me out, but it's making me very cross!
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

perpetua

« Reply #14207 on: December 23, 2013, 08:37:54 AM »
I don't really subscribe to the 'i must be able to park directly in front of my house' school of thought - I think that's just a peril of living somewhere with no allocated parking  - and as long as I can park reasonably close I'm happy, but I do understand it to a certain degree. I live about three minutes' walk from a commuter station and stupidly the council have decided not to make my street resident's permit only parking. I really wish they would, because if you go out early for an appointment, by the time you get back you've inevitably lost your space to someone who's parked there just because it's near the station and free, and all the rest will be gone too thanks to others doing the same thing, so I end up parked flippin' miles away if I can get one at all. And they'll be there all day, because they've parked there to get the train to work. Very irritating! I keep meaning to apply to the council for them to put a disabled space outside the flat, but I just never quite get around to filling the form in. I must do that at some point but until then, I'm just not making any morning appointments :)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #14208 on: December 23, 2013, 09:00:12 AM »
I live on a street with residents-only parking all around.  Different streets are allocated different zones they can park in.  Unfortunately the council have sold more permits than there are spaces, meaning residents are unable to park in their zone and get parking fines.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14209 on: December 23, 2013, 09:04:54 AM »
Last Sunday DH's uncle came to replace some glass in the window of our back door (if anyone remembers, I'd posted some months ago that it had been broken) and as he has a truck with a bunch of tools it just made sense to park in the alley next to our house so he wouldn't have to park on the street and walk from the back of the house to the front while doing this. 

Our neighbor's kids came walking up the alley towards their house and started cussing at my aunt and uncle for parking there and blocking the traffic. (no cars had tried to come in or out while uncle was there and he would have gladly moved to let people through or out)  Mind you their parents and their friends do it all the time but apparently they're the only ones allowed to.

Aunt said if she'd been able to (recovering from back surgery) she'd have marched those kids to their parents house to tell them what they'd been up to.  I told her it's just as well she couldn't, as knowing what their father is like, he's the one they learned it from.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

perpetua

« Reply #14210 on: December 23, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »
I live on a street with residents-only parking all around.  Different streets are allocated different zones they can park in.  Unfortunately the council have sold more permits than there are spaces, meaning residents are unable to park in their zone and get parking fines.

Ouch. That's some bad planning.

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #14211 on: December 23, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »

Yes :(

cattlekid

« Reply #14212 on: December 23, 2013, 10:18:35 AM »
She's not little, but my SIL drives me batty.  She won't ask me anything directly, everything has to come through DH or MIL.  This is because she knows that she only asks me things that she either a) doesn't want to learn how to do herself (e.g., last week's debacle about buying something through eBay) or b) wants to avoid because it's too inconvenient for her. 

Last night, it was the phone call I got from MIL about Christmas Eve, telling me that SIL thought it would be "so nice" if *I* (the one WITHOUT kids) brought gifts tomorrow night for MIL's young niece and nephew who will be in attendance.  If anyone had bothered to tell me about 12 hours earlier that these kids would be there (we have no relationship with their parents so we only see them when FIL and his sister - the grandmother - get together and we are invited), then I would have been marginally fine with picking up a little something for them while I was already out battling the holiday crowds.

Now, I get to go out again either tonight after work or tomorrow when all I wanted to do was relax and bum around the house.  Holiday crowds make me mental.   >:(

KimberlyM

« Reply #14213 on: December 23, 2013, 12:57:11 PM »
I cannot wear wool anything...not cashmere,  not merino,  not mohair.  It doesn't matter how highend or how soft it feels, I breakout in these crazy red welty hives in no time at all.  I can only assume I'm allergic to wool, but I've had others who insist that cannot be.  Well, I can tell you, it feels like my skin is on fire and I'm being eaten alive by fire ants...and as I've actually been attacked by fire ants, I can tell you that with certainty.

I don't have a better explanation since angora rabbit is fine.  I don't like shedding all the time, so I typically stick with cotton fibers.  It stinks because I see all these really cute sweaters and coats and they are wool or wool blends.

I have the same reaction to any form of wool.  It make sweater shopping difficult!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14214 on: December 23, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »

That's not good.

I live in a n'hood that's from the 1930s. Every house has a 1-car (and not for big cars) garage and a driveway big enough for 1 car. So, being the 21st c. most people have 2+ cars per household. People are good about leaving space for others. What is bugging all of us on my street is that there is a multi-family home on the "T" street off our street. They have big vehicles: a commercial extra-long van, several SUV's like Escalades/Suburbans. They can't all fit on their street, so they've taken to parking on our already-strained street. Unfortunately, the street they live on is rather busy, and they already park all along that street (think regular 3/4-bdrm home with 15+ people in it). So now we have bottlenecks on our street and theirs, due to everyday traffic. If we need a fire truck, deity help us! Legal, perhaps. Polite, no (especially the commercial vehicle).

They've only lived there for about a year, so the difference is quite noticeable.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14215 on: December 23, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »
Wrapping gripes: unusual package shapes, like the Thomas and Friends.
And my heavens, CATS!  George Takei shared a pie graph yesterday showing that much of the time wrapping presents is relocating the cat. I had one try to trot off with his present while the other sat in my lap. Sweet, yes, but makes wrapping quite awkward!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #14216 on: December 23, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »
Try wrapping gifts while accompanied by a rabbit with a paper fetish...

Turn your back for a minute, it's gone!

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #14217 on: December 23, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »
Wrapping gripes: unusual package shapes, like the Thomas and Friends.
And my heavens, CATS!  George Takei shared a pie graph yesterday showing that much of the time wrapping presents is relocating the cat. I had one try to trot off with his present while the other sat in my lap. Sweet, yes, but makes wrapping quite awkward!

I opened  my reply to quote you on how my cat, too, assists me in wrapping presents by sitting on things and being a pain. I was distracted, however, by said cat careering through the living room, powersliding across the kitchen linoleum, and knocking the broom and the swiffer over into a heap on her water dish.

CATS.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Snooks

« Reply #14218 on: December 23, 2013, 03:08:23 PM »

There was an article in our local paper about this, in some areas of our city there are 1.34 permits per space.

Yes :(

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14219 on: December 23, 2013, 04:13:20 PM »
She's not little, but my SIL drives me batty.  She won't ask me anything directly, everything has to come through DH or MIL.  This is because she knows that she only asks me things that she either a) doesn't want to learn how to do herself (e.g., last week's debacle about buying something through eBay) or b) wants to avoid because it's too inconvenient for her. 

Last night, it was the phone call I got from MIL about Christmas Eve, telling me that SIL thought it would be "so nice" if *I* (the one WITHOUT kids) brought gifts tomorrow night for MIL's young niece and nephew who will be in attendance.  If anyone had bothered to tell me about 12 hours earlier that these kids would be there (we have no relationship with their parents so we only see them when FIL and his sister - the grandmother - get together and we are invited), then I would have been marginally fine with picking up a little something for them while I was already out battling the holiday crowds.

Now, I get to go out again either tonight after work or tomorrow when all I wanted to do was relax and bum around the house.  Holiday crowds make me mental.   >:(

Or you could say no and let the people who cause the issue deal with it.  either do the favor and be ok with it or decline and be ok with it.  But don't do someone on a favor and hold an annoyance, not matter how slight.  Life is too short ya know :)