Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1298853 times)

magicdomino

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14220 on: December 23, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »
She's not little, but my SIL drives me batty.  She won't ask me anything directly, everything has to come through DH or MIL.  This is because she knows that she only asks me things that she either a) doesn't want to learn how to do herself (e.g., last week's debacle about buying something through eBay) or b) wants to avoid because it's too inconvenient for her. 

Last night, it was the phone call I got from MIL about Christmas Eve, telling me that SIL thought it would be "so nice" if *I* (the one WITHOUT kids) brought gifts tomorrow night for MIL's young niece and nephew who will be in attendance.  If anyone had bothered to tell me about 12 hours earlier that these kids would be there (we have no relationship with their parents so we only see them when FIL and his sister - the grandmother - get together and we are invited), then I would have been marginally fine with picking up a little something for them while I was already out battling the holiday crowds.

Now, I get to go out again either tonight after work or tomorrow when all I wanted to do was relax and bum around the house.  Holiday crowds make me mental.   >:(

"Hi, MIL, I bought the gifts. It's $X plus $Y for Amazon's next day shipping."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14221 on: December 23, 2013, 04:33:22 PM »
Wrapping gripes: unusual package shapes, like the Thomas and Friends.
And my heavens, CATS!  George Takei shared a pie graph yesterday showing that much of the time wrapping presents is relocating the cat. I had one try to trot off with his present while the other sat in my lap. Sweet, yes, but makes wrapping quite awkward!

I opened  my reply to quote you on how my cat, too, assists me in wrapping presents by sitting on things and being a pain. I was distracted, however, by said cat careering through the living room, powersliding across the kitchen linoleum, and knocking the broom and the swiffer over into a heap on her water dish.

CATS.

LOL!!! Cats, gatta love 'em! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14222 on: December 23, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »
Lay out what you need to wrap and the supplies, then feed the cats.  Works with mine.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14223 on: December 23, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »
I live on a street with residents-only parking all around.  Different streets are allocated different zones they can park in.  Unfortunately the council have sold more permits than there are spaces, meaning residents are unable to park in their zone and get parking fines.

Ouch. That's some bad planning.

Or some creative fundraising.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #14224 on: December 23, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »
I live on a street with residents-only parking all around.  Different streets are allocated different zones they can park in.  Unfortunately the council have sold more permits than there are spaces, meaning residents are unable to park in their zone and get parking fines.

Which is illegal.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #14225 on: December 23, 2013, 06:34:37 PM »

Which is illegal.

While true, there are a good many people for whom this is an exercise in problem solving, not a disincentive.

Betelnut

« Reply #14226 on: December 23, 2013, 08:24:31 PM »
People who assume that, if you have cats, you must be a "cat person."

Yes, I have two cats.  I love cats.  I do not want mugs with cat pictures, plaques with cats, calendars with cats, posters with cats and cute sayings, t-shirts with cats on them, mouse pads with cat images, cute statues of cats or almost anything else with a cat on it!

"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #14227 on: December 23, 2013, 09:03:31 PM »
My father is having one of those moments where he seems to think I have absolutely no common sense.

Maybe he's right, but dang it, even I know better than to touch a hunk of dry ice with my bare hands. >:( I don't need to be told like a six year old!
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #14228 on: December 23, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »

Which is illegal.

In what jurisdiction? Plenty of communities set things up so that they have a regular revenue stream from parking tickets and the like. There are cities that are continuing with the photo systems at red lights in order to get the revenue -- despite the fact that it's been shown that these cameras make things more dangerous than otherwise.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14229 on: December 23, 2013, 10:06:36 PM »
People who assume that, if you have cats, you must be a "cat person."

Yes, I have two cats.  I love cats.  I do not want mugs with cat pictures, plaques with cats, calendars with cats, posters with cats and cute sayings, t-shirts with cats on them, mouse pads with cat images, cute statues of cats or almost anything else with a cat on it!

I'll take coffee-table books of cat pictures, but not the rest of the stuff.  And I adore cats.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14230 on: December 23, 2013, 10:40:28 PM »
My car's defroster is driving me nuts currently.  We're under a wind chill advisory and a winter weather advisory, so it's cold and snowy and cold and did I mention COLD yet? :)  I want to keep my defroster on for both my front and back windows, so that they stay clear and don't fog up on me (I can fog half of my front windshield by myself just by breathing when it's especially cold).  Instead, the manufacturer of my car has determined that defrost is a temporary thing, and really doesn't need to be on for more than 15 minutes or so, so it turns itself off automatically at that time.  After 15 minutes!  I really really hate fiddling with the controls to turn defrost back on again 2 or 3 times during my 45 minute drive home!

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #14231 on: December 24, 2013, 02:17:57 AM »

Which is illegal.

In what jurisdiction? Plenty of communities set things up so that they have a regular revenue stream from parking tickets and the like. There are cities that are continuing with the photo systems at red lights in order to get the revenue -- despite the fact that it's been shown that these cameras make things more dangerous than otherwise.

In the UK.

Councils are not legally supposed to use money from car parking fines as a revenue stream ("creative fundraising", per Diane's post), the money is supposed to be an "extra" that gets ploughed back into roads etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25489765

http://www.axainsurance.com/car/advice-news/mps-urge-councils-to-relax-parking-fines/

http://www.theinformationdaily.com/2013/10/23/councils-exploit-parking-fines-to-raise-revenue-illegally-warn-mps

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/councils-cant-use-parking-to-raise-revenues-after-landmark-ruling-by-judge-in-barnet-8725970.html
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 02:23:24 AM by RingTailedLemur »

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #14232 on: December 24, 2013, 06:53:12 AM »

Which is illegal.

In the UK.

Councils are not legally supposed to use money from car parking fines as a revenue stream ("creative fundraising", per Diane's post), the money is supposed to be an "extra" that gets ploughed back into roads etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25489765

http://www.axainsurance.com/car/advice-news/mps-urge-councils-to-relax-parking-fines/

http://www.theinformationdaily.com/2013/10/23/councils-exploit-parking-fines-to-raise-revenue-illegally-warn-mps

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/councils-cant-use-parking-to-raise-revenues-after-landmark-ruling-by-judge-in-barnet-8725970.html

But keep in mind that if that does get placed into funding roads, then funds earmarked for roads already will be freed up.  Same basic result.

Shalamar

« Reply #14233 on: December 24, 2013, 09:04:52 AM »
Instead, the manufacturer of my car has determined that defrost is a temporary thing, and really doesn't need to be on for more than 15 minutes or so, so it turns itself off automatically at that time.

Mine too!  It's ridiculous!  I live in Winnipeg, people, it tends to get COLD here. 

(I'm kind of relieved, actually - mine is an older car, and I thought maybe the rear-window defroster wasn't working properly.  I guess it's a good thing that the 15-minute limit was intentional.)

audhs

« Reply #14234 on: December 24, 2013, 09:40:01 AM »
Wrapping gripes: unusual package shapes, like the Thomas and Friends.
And my heavens, CATS!  George Takei shared a pie graph yesterday showing that much of the time wrapping presents is relocating the cat. I had one try to trot off with his present while the other sat in my lap. Sweet, yes, but makes wrapping quite awkward!
I was just thinking that wrapping with cats sounds a lot like wrapping with a one year old around.

Mine kept standing under the table with her hands on my knees asking to be picked up. And bonking her head because she's getting too tall to stand under the table.  Then when you pick her up she wants to play with the wrapping paper, and ribbons.   ;)