Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1314507 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14235 on: December 24, 2013, 10:29:45 AM »
I live on a street with residents-only parking all around.  Different streets are allocated different zones they can park in.  Unfortunately the council have sold more permits than there are spaces, meaning residents are unable to park in their zone and get parking fines.

Ouch. That's some bad planning.

Or some creative fundraising.

Which is illegal.

In what jurisdiction? Plenty of communities set things up so that they have a regular revenue stream from parking tickets and the like. There are cities that are continuing with the photo systems at red lights in order to get the revenue -- despite the fact that it's been shown that these cameras make things more dangerous than otherwise.

In the UK.

Councils are not legally supposed to use money from car parking fines as a revenue stream ("creative fundraising", per Diane's post), the money is supposed to be an "extra" that gets ploughed back into roads etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25489765

http://www.axainsurance.com/car/advice-news/mps-urge-councils-to-relax-parking-fines/

http://www.theinformationdaily.com/2013/10/23/councils-exploit-parking-fines-to-raise-revenue-illegally-warn-mps

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/councils-cant-use-parking-to-raise-revenues-after-landmark-ruling-by-judge-in-barnet-8725970.html

But keep in mind that if that does get placed into funding roads, then funds earmarked for roads already will be freed up.  Same basic result.

But illegal to do it for that purpose.  Hence the multiple legal challenges.

Shalamar

« Reply #14236 on: December 24, 2013, 12:54:25 PM »
The co-worker who chose to come into work today with a very bad cold.   She's been sneezing all over the place, and in between sneezes, she keeps saying "I couldn't take today off; it's right before Christmas!  No-one would've believed I was really sick!"  Thanks for potentially infecting all of US, lady.   >:(

Dawse

« Reply #14237 on: December 24, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »
I don't really subscribe to the 'i must be able to park directly in front of my house' school of thought - I think that's just a peril of living somewhere with no allocated parking  - and as long as I can park reasonably close I'm happy, but I do understand it to a certain degree.
/snip

I agree - I know parking in front of my house is a convenience rather than my right; it just irks me when there's loads of room left on the road, but no one can use any of it because people have parked inconsiderately.
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #14238 on: December 24, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »

"Everyone should have to work retail..." What? No. I do not have to work retail to know how to treat people, thank you very much. I don't run around saying everyone should have to work in mortgage if they want to buy a house. Do you know why? Because it s a ridiculous thing to say. Grrrrr! Grrrr, i say! 

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14239 on: December 24, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »

"Everyone should have to work retail..." What? No. I do not have to work retail to know how to treat people, thank you very much. I don't run around saying everyone should have to work in mortgage if they want to buy a house. Do you know why? Because it s a ridiculous thing to say. Grrrrr! Grrrr, i say!

Oh very much this.  I say please and thank you, I never berate or insult, I always try to connect with whoever waits on me in a superficial yet pleasant way.  M worked retail.  I wouldn't last a day.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #14240 on: December 24, 2013, 07:05:11 PM »
Wrapping gripes: unusual package shapes, like the Thomas and Friends.
And my heavens, CATS!  George Takei shared a pie graph yesterday showing that much of the time wrapping presents is relocating the cat. I had one try to trot off with his present while the other sat in my lap. Sweet, yes, but makes wrapping quite awkward!

I opened  my reply to quote you on how my cat, too, assists me in wrapping presents by sitting on things and being a pain. I was distracted, however, by said cat careering through the living room, powersliding across the kitchen linoleum, and knocking the broom and the swiffer over into a heap on her water dish.

CATS.

LOL!!! Cats, gatta love 'em! :)

Relevant video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm3dm5J5r0A

I will be driven up a very large wall if anyone bothers me during the Doctor Who Christmas special tomorrow.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14241 on: December 24, 2013, 07:15:23 PM »
People who can't be bothered to pronounce unusual names or even try.  A lady in my office today told me that "that Mohammed Ali guy you called" had called me back.  I stared at her, because I didn't call anyone named Mohammed Ali - it's the sort of name you remember!  She elaborated, "You know that guy with the payment thing!".  Oh, yes, you mean Mr. *InsertCorrectNameHere*?  "Yes, that Ali guy.  Whatever.  It's not like I can pronounce his first name!". 

Okay, so not being able to pronounce the guy's name is one thing.  Making up a completely different name for him is quite another!

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #14242 on: December 24, 2013, 09:05:35 PM »
I wish to add again to something that nearly has me up to my ceiling.

The inconsiderate people across the street who are playing music so loud that I cannot hear my TV with the doors and windows closed. I have contacted the police with a noise complaint. I would like to watch Home Alone without the volume jacked up high enough to rattle my teeth in order to drown out the vulgar rap lyrics being blasted next door.

What is WITH people who do this?!

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

Tea Drinker

« Reply #14243 on: December 24, 2013, 11:09:19 PM »
People who assume that, if you have cats, you must be a "cat person."

Yes, I have two cats.  I love cats.  I do not want mugs with cat pictures, plaques with cats, calendars with cats, posters with cats and cute sayings, t-shirts with cats on them, mouse pads with cat images, cute statues of cats or almost anything else with a cat on it!

I am a cat person.

I am not a pictures of cat person, or a statues of cat person, or anything like that. The actual live cat who is currently asleep about a foot from my left wrist, I love. I don't need plaques and calendars and posters and so on. They don't purr, or rub against me to ask for cream, or help keep my chair warm, or any of the things that a cat might do.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14244 on: December 24, 2013, 11:16:41 PM »
The supposed adult males who live in my area and drive their very loud motorcycles while making them be the loudest possible. It is a beautiful day, I had my windows open, and had to close them because of your noise!

Likewise, the man at the end of the block, who likes to broadcast a very strange mix of chanting and hip hop for many hours every holiday or weekend day. He opens his garage and plays it for hours. I can hear it inside my unit, 6 doors down.

I will be talking with the management about noise notices for the three very loud motorcycle owners and the garage chanting hip hop guy.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #14245 on: December 24, 2013, 11:29:18 PM »
People who can't be bothered to pronounce unusual names or even try.  A lady in my office today told me that "that Mohammed Ali guy you called" had called me back.  I stared at her, because I didn't call anyone named Mohammed Ali - it's the sort of name you remember!  She elaborated, "You know that guy with the payment thing!".  Oh, yes, you mean Mr. *InsertCorrectNameHere*?  "Yes, that Ali guy.  Whatever.  It's not like I can pronounce his first name!". 

Okay, so not being able to pronounce the guy's name is one thing.  Making up a completely different name for him is quite another!

She should have tried.

I'm coming from the opposite end when I try to Roll my R's like a Spanish Speaker, or speak with a merged Irish Brogue and Scottish Burr it sounds like I'm making fun, but if I don't try then certain people take me to task for being rude about pronouncing names with my own accent. I also got spoken to for writing students names phonetically on a list when I was giving out end of the year awards. I can say the names day to day - face to face but on the potium in front of the parents and seeing the spelling at the same time my dyslexic phonics trained brain trips me up. I will say the name with English Phonics. The kids don't see the list, the parents don't see the list. The only reason the principal saw the list was he was looking over my shoulder. I got yelled at for 5 minutes after school for Not knowing my kids names on the last week of school. (Again I know the names and say them right every day - it is the nerves of being on stage in front of adults + seeing the written form that causes the error.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #14246 on: December 24, 2013, 11:35:11 PM »
I don't know if I should call this 'last minute invites' or 'forced socialization'.  We're doing the usual Christmas get-together at my uncle's house.  That's fine, we do it every year, and I know it's coming.  My grandmother said a few days ago that she had invited a friend over because he didn't have anyone.  Again, fine...though I would rather it just be family.  Then tonight my grandmother called and said that my uncle had invited a couple he knows on a last-minute impulse, and could we bring some of our homemade creamed corn along with the homemade applesauce that my mom had promised?  *sigh*

I don't do well around people.  I especially don't like it when interactions are sprung on me like this, but I can't actually say anything or opt out because 1) It's their house, they can invite whoever they want, and 2) I've already committed myself.

Also, they're getting our last jar of applesauce to have with Christmas dinner, and my mom said no about the creamed corn because we need to make it last until next summer.  She got a snippy "Well, never mind, then." in response.

So, yeah.  Forced interaction with people I hardly know, and being asked to bring extra stuff in addition to what was already promised (in this case, applesauce, a chocolate caramel cheesecake, a coffee ring, and Christmas cookies).  I can't explain why it bugs me, but it does.

magicdomino

« Reply #14247 on: December 25, 2013, 09:34:37 AM »

She should have tried.

I'm coming from the opposite end when I try to Roll my R's like a Spanish Speaker, or speak with a merged Irish Brogue and Scottish Burr it sounds like I'm making fun, but if I don't try then certain people take me to task for being rude about pronouncing names with my own accent. I also got spoken to for writing students names phonetically on a list when I was giving out end of the year awards. I can say the names day to day - face to face but on the potium in front of the parents and seeing the spelling at the same time my dyslexic phonics trained brain trips me up. I will say the name with English Phonics. The kids don't see the list, the parents don't see the list. The only reason the principal saw the list was he was looking over my shoulder. I got yelled at for 5 minutes after school for Not knowing my kids names on the last week of school. (Again I know the names and say them right every day - it is the nerves of being on stage in front of adults + seeing the written form that causes the error.)

As a person whose last name was mangled at my high school graduation, I thank you.

Snooks

« Reply #14248 on: December 25, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »
People who assume that, if you have cats, you must be a "cat person."

Yes, I have two cats.  I love cats.  I do not want mugs with cat pictures, plaques with cats, calendars with cats, posters with cats and cute sayings, t-shirts with cats on them, mouse pads with cat images, cute statues of cats or almost anything else with a cat on it!

I am a cat person.

I am not a pictures of cat person, or a statues of cat person, or anything like that. The actual live cat who is currently asleep about a foot from my left wrist, I love. I don't need plaques and calendars and posters and so on. They don't purr, or rub against me to ask for cream, or help keep my chair warm, or any of the things that a cat might do.

Tell this to my MIL who bought us a cat poster for Christmas. It's in a style which isn't even close to all the very cartoony art we have. I honestly think her logic was "they have cats they'll like this".

Carotte

« Reply #14249 on: December 25, 2013, 03:02:43 PM »
The years to come will most likely be different on their own due to (most likely) SO and I spending Christmas together (either at/with his or my parents) but this year I got blindsided. Well, no more.
Didn't get an answer until I was already in the car about when we would come back (from traveling 4h to extended family like we do every year), learned at the same time that we would also go to Other-city (3h or so one way) to see even-more-extended-family.
I don't mind going to see them, I mind not having been told anything when I sent multiple texts and email to know what was going to happen and never getting an answer from either of my parents. (They came to pick me up in Mycity, I learned the night before when they were going to come by).

I'm pretty sure that's because they don't see me as an independent adult yet, but at 25 and living with my (serious) SO that's bound to change.

So in light of this I also put my foot down on another thing, going to the restaurant tonight (25th) without a reservation. I told them I wouldn't go if they didn't set up a reservation on the 23 when I first heard about the plan. They didn't, so I'm staying home while they're out in the rain.

This is following an accident when they wanted to pick me up after my shift (at 8pm) without having made any plan whatsoever in Mycity and never contacting me with approximate plans so that I could tell SO to meet us somewhere/sometime. We spent a good hour and a half driving around and finding every good restaurant we could think of that wasn't full to the brim on a Friday night. I had not eaten well all day, had spent several hours on my feet and it was not a pleasant night. Even more when I had to call SO at 8 to tell him to get ready to go "I don't know where, but you know, get ready"  ::)

When they got up tonight with the "OK, get ready we're leaving soon to go find some diner" I reiterated, for the twentieth time, that nope, told them two days ago, I'm not going out and trying every da*n restaurant in an unfamiliar city to find them either closed or full. Thankfully my mother only said something like "you're being stubborn, have it your way" and they left (under the rain I might add).
We'll yeah, I did wanted to have it my way, and I do, I'm the one winning here. I don't care if they find the perfect place right away, I have the fire place and the internet, and a quiet night by myself in the middle of the holyday craziness.