A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

What little things drive you completely up the wall....?

<< < (2856/5258) > >>

CrochetFanatic:

--- Quote from: Mel the Redcap on January 09, 2014, 05:53:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: CrochetFanatic on January 09, 2014, 09:28:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mel the Redcap on January 08, 2014, 08:47:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: CrochetFanatic on January 08, 2014, 04:04:46 PM ---Working hard on a fanfic, and getting views but no reviews.  Then again, I'm really bad at leaving reviews myself, sooo...Thing is, until I get at least one single review, I'm going crazy wondering if my story stinks.  Ah well.

--- End quote ---

This! THIS! *flail*

...CrochetFanatic, what's your fic based on? And are you interested in anime fic, specifically Log Horizon? :-*

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, I haven't seen that anime.  The last one I watched was Fullmetal Alchemist.  Do you have any for that one, or for Wolf's Rain or Dragonball Z?  :)

I didn't really have an example in mind, though the latest one I wrote was for The Princess Bride.  I wasn't trying to impress anyone with that, though; I was just having fun.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Nope - Log Horizon, Gundam Wing, and Bleach mostly. I do like FMA but I haven't written for it. Ooh, Princess Bride? Where?

/threadjack We now return you to your regularly scheduled amusements! ;D

--- End quote ---

FFN, if you're interested.  ;) If you want to tell me where I can find yours, I'll check 'em out!

It bugs me when my mother 'asks' me (after I've told her many times that it's my own business) whether or not I've been taking my antidepressant.  Yes, I promise I have.  It's just PMS.  Incidentally, by asking me such questions at such a time, you're taking your life in your hands!  >:D

Thipu1:

--- Quote from: Elfmama on January 09, 2014, 06:10:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: mandycorn on January 09, 2014, 05:12:05 PM ---I have a friend/coworker who I really enjoy talking with; we're in pretty regular communication during the day and in the evenings about work and about life in general via chat programs and text messages.

She picked up a new habit a couple of weeks ago that drives me up the wall.

She ends every question, no matter how innocuous with a double question mark, which my brain refuses to read as a standard question. In my mind, it makes it sound very demanding and bossy, more like a "?!" instead of a "?", if you know what I mean.

I commented to her that I was reading it that way, but she shrugged and said that wasn't how she meant it, which I take to mean that she's happy with her newly invented punctuation mark. She's even started doing it in work emails to other people, which strikes me as unprofessional, but I'm not going to say anything else about it, since she didn't care the first time.

--- End quote ---
There are certain parts of the US where many women (but almost never men) will use a
rising tone at the end of a declarative sentence, so that it sounds like a question.  The listener is supposed to infer "Do you understand/agree with me?"  and make a noise indicating agreement/understanding, like "Mm-hmm."  Are these ladies from that part of the country, so that they are translating the semi-question that they make in speech to the written page?

--- End quote ---

Here, the interrogatory declarative seems to be used by young women and it sounds to me like fingernails on a blackboard. 

'Hello? 'This is Mary Smith?' (I'm not Mary Smith.  Are you?)
'I want to confirm an appointment?  For Wednesday afternoon?  (Are you sure of anything?)

The use of this affectation makes the speaker sound helpless.  It also makes the conversation drag.  Women of my generation and a generation or two after mine don't do this. 

Editeer:

--- Quote from: pwv on January 09, 2014, 04:19:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: Diane AKA Traska on January 09, 2014, 05:54:05 AM ---I'm 40 now.  40.  Not in my thirties, in a new demographic, entering my fifth decade on this planet.

I know, it's an amazingly little thing (and I should be happy to have made it this far, anyway), but dangit, I miss being able to say I was in my thirties.

--- End quote ---

When someone asks how old you are, just tell them you are "thirty-ten."  Next year you can tell them you are "thirty-eleven", etc.

--- End quote ---

Even better, you can be "twenty-twenty-one." :)

Venus193:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on January 10, 2014, 10:23:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: Elfmama on January 09, 2014, 06:10:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: mandycorn on January 09, 2014, 05:12:05 PM ---I have a friend/coworker who I really enjoy talking with; we're in pretty regular communication during the day and in the evenings about work and about life in general via chat programs and text messages.

She picked up a new habit a couple of weeks ago that drives me up the wall.

She ends every question, no matter how innocuous with a double question mark, which my brain refuses to read as a standard question. In my mind, it makes it sound very demanding and bossy, more like a "?!" instead of a "?", if you know what I mean.

I commented to her that I was reading it that way, but she shrugged and said that wasn't how she meant it, which I take to mean that she's happy with her newly invented punctuation mark. She's even started doing it in work emails to other people, which strikes me as unprofessional, but I'm not going to say anything else about it, since she didn't care the first time.

--- End quote ---
There are certain parts of the US where many women (but almost never men) will use a
rising tone at the end of a declarative sentence, so that it sounds like a question.  The listener is supposed to infer "Do you understand/agree with me?"  and make a noise indicating agreement/understanding, like "Mm-hmm."  Are these ladies from that part of the country, so that they are translating the semi-question that they make in speech to the written page?

--- End quote ---

Here, the interrogatory declarative seems to be used by young women and it sounds to me like fingernails on a blackboard. 

'Hello? 'This is Mary Smith?' (I'm not Mary Smith.  Are you?)
'I want to confirm an appointment?  For Wednesday afternoon?  (Are you sure of anything?)

The use of this affectation makes the speaker sound helpless.  It also makes the conversation drag.  Women of my generation and a generation or two after mine don't do this. 

--- End quote ---

It irritates the living daylights out of me.  We didn't have a revolution for nothing, but this kind of thing could set us back.

Venus193:
Siamesecat2965, this deserved its own:

I got back from the store this morning to find my postman putting package slips in mailboxes.  I told him about the FedEx screw-up and he told me that he is reporting it to his supervisor because he had more than the usual number of slips that day and the handwriting on them did not look familiar.  I will wait until Monday to go to the post office to pick up the box because we had some wet, slushy snow today which I don't like walking on.

I'm sending a box to my friend next week.  It will be a large one because it will contain a 24-count box of cat food for her furbaby.  She has to be able to feed her and food stamps can't be used for that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version