Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1314448 times)

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14325 on: January 02, 2014, 10:08:20 PM »
Oh, the whole way through "Smaug", I was running VERY unflattering commentary in my head.  It was all I could do to restrain myself from screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and running out.  I very nearly left several times, but had hubby with me, so didn't.

Magpie - next time your mother undermines you, say sternly to her "NO!  In THIS house we go by the parents rules.  You are not to undermine that, ever.  You are not raising this child - we are."  Then go on with activity, and ignore any attempt to engage - simply repeat "we have our rules - you don't get to change them."

Believe me, it will be addressed as soon as it happens again.  A lot of times, it's just a little thing, where we've said no to something and she just rolls her eyes and/or tries to "soften the blow" of us saying no.

Now she is currently coming in to a conversation halfway through it without knowing fully what we're talking about.  Then she proceeds to question every thing even though it has just been explained.  I love her, but I cannot wait for her to go home tomorrow.

Here is an example:

Me to boyfriend: I washed your suit separately but I dried it with some other clothes so now it has fur all over it and is wrinkly.  I'll wash it again later.
Her: Don't you have to dry clean that?
Me: No, it says you can wash it.
Her: But you washed it with other stuff, didn't you?
Me: No, I -
Her, interrupting: Then how did it get fur all over it?
Me: I dried it with other stuff, like I just said.

Piratelvr1121, nothing like someone laughing at you to take away your authority.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #14326 on: January 02, 2014, 10:09:45 PM »
Realized another one when browsing Pinterest. Improper labeling.

From what I know of Victorian styles, this is NOT Victorian. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/347340189982224845/

Well, it COULD conceivably be a costume from a Victorian fancy dress ball but that's still pushing things. 

The same poster also identified a publicity shot from The Tudors, an 18th century morning suit and several Colonial Williamsburg pictures as Victorian.

From her board description: "I love the whole Victorian appeal of fashion, this is meant to be a board of pretty photography, fantasy fashion and fairytale dreams. This is NOT a board of Historical Events, so please stop Correcting me on my pin titles. You can repin and title it to your liking, but leave my fantasies Alone!" Personally, this would drive me crazy. Have all the pretty historical, fantasy, historically "inspired" pictures you like but is it really necessary to mislabel them?

What an odd fantasy, that everything she likes is Victorian.

Went and looked at her Pinterest - she has no clue what is "Victorian," does she?
Doesn't look like it.  Maybe she's one of those people who lump everything before her own birth as "The Olden Days."  And in her mind, all "olden days fashion" = Victorian.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #14327 on: January 02, 2014, 10:17:43 PM »
I'm currently being driven up the wall by someone who is actually an extremely nice person! *sigh*

I'm modding an every-other-month fanfiction challenge - it's just reopened this month, and so people haven't got to the writing part yet and are just laying out prompts. That's not the irritating part. The irritating part is that there are layout rules that must be followed to keep things as clear as possible, and this person - who has participated before, so there's really no excuse - didn't follow one of the most important ones, regarding crossovers.

Of course I'm also driving my own self up the wall because I feel extremely bad about having had to remind this person that the rules are there for a reason. :(
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #14328 on: January 03, 2014, 12:13:15 AM »
We shut down university offices December 20th. When I left, I was one of the last people to leave and I turned off both my computer CPU and my scanner.

We reopened today. When I came in, my CPU was running. My chair had been adjusted. Things were scattered about.

I still have no idea who came into my locked office and turned on the computer. The deep cleaning that occurred during the closure explains the other things.
2 Thoughts
1. Did IT have workdays during shut down time and could they have been updating things?

2. How deep is the deep cleaning. Our custodians actually move the presentation station (AKA Teacher computer) and student stations to wax the floors/clean the carpets. THey turn the computers on after they plug everything back into the wall. Also until this year the head custodian had to log on in the library or on a classroom computer because they required them to use e-mail but didn't give them a computer.

I just found out why.

Two days before we left, IT set all computers to automatically boot every night at midnight so they could run updates.

Even over the holiday break. So, for 12 days, the computer ran for no good reason. And I have had nothing but problems with some of the updates.

Your tax dollars at work!
They need to have it set up to also turn off. Our IT did that. Oh the cries of pain from people that left 1/2 done work on their computer and IT "lost" it.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14329 on: January 03, 2014, 08:01:34 AM »
Piratelvr1121, nothing like someone laughing at you to take away your authority.

Tell me about it.  When DH got out of the USMC, we moved back east to be near family and as we didn't have a place lined up to move into and he didn't have a job yet, we lived with my folks for about 2 months.  He thankfully found a job quickly but those two months were extremely unpleasant and reminded me very quickly why we never got along.

It was two months full of being undermined!

Me: Come on boys, it's time for bed
Mom: Really? It's only 8:30! That's so early!!
Me: It's their bedtime, they need their sleep.
Mom: But where do they have to go tomorrow? They can sleep in!
Me: But they WON'T! You could put them to bed at midnight and they'd STILL wake at 6!
Mom: But we want to spend some more time with them!
Me: You live with them, you see them every day. It's bedtime. NOW.

Honestly I still have a hard time getting them to take me seriously.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14330 on: January 03, 2014, 08:53:29 AM »
We shut down university offices December 20th. When I left, I was one of the last people to leave and I turned off both my computer CPU and my scanner.

We reopened today. When I came in, my CPU was running. My chair had been adjusted. Things were scattered about.

I still have no idea who came into my locked office and turned on the computer. The deep cleaning that occurred during the closure explains the other things.
2 Thoughts
1. Did IT have workdays during shut down time and could they have been updating things?

2. How deep is the deep cleaning. Our custodians actually move the presentation station (AKA Teacher computer) and student stations to wax the floors/clean the carpets. THey turn the computers on after they plug everything back into the wall. Also until this year the head custodian had to log on in the library or on a classroom computer because they required them to use e-mail but didn't give them a computer.

I just found out why.

Two days before we left, IT set all computers to automatically boot every night at midnight so they could run updates.

Even over the holiday break. So, for 12 days, the computer ran for no good reason. And I have had nothing but problems with some of the updates.

Your tax dollars at work!
They need to have it set up to also turn off. Our IT did that. Oh the cries of pain from people that left 1/2 done work on their computer and IT "lost" it.

I'm not happy about the situation but don't know as I have any power to change anything.

mlmama

« Reply #14331 on: January 03, 2014, 09:07:22 AM »
When my SO puts in a movie or TV show to watch before bedtime and I get into it, then he turns it off right before the end. Really. Like 5 minutes before. Drives me crazy. Even if I didn't start out watching, I am now! Let it finish!  One of his many little quirks I put up with.  ;)

Why, in the name of all that is righteous and holy, would anybody turn off a show five minutes before the end?
Because they are his comfort/relaxing movies, so he's seen them all quite a bit. That means I have,too. Even knowing the endings, it feels unfinished when he does that!

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14332 on: January 03, 2014, 09:15:04 AM »
Most of the time I turn off West Side Story when they get to the playground. I know the final scene with the body being carried out is touching, but I can't stand watching Maria's pain.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #14333 on: January 03, 2014, 10:29:30 AM »

Tell me about it.  When DH got out of the USMC, we moved back east to be near family and as we didn't have a place lined up to move into and he didn't have a job yet, we lived with my folks for about 2 months.  He thankfully found a job quickly but those two months were extremely unpleasant and reminded me very quickly why we never got along.

It was two months full of being undermined!

Me: Come on boys, it's time for bed
Mom: Really? It's only 8:30! That's so early!!
Me: It's their bedtime, they need their sleep.
Mom: But where do they have to go tomorrow? They can sleep in!
Me: But they WON'T! You could put them to bed at midnight and they'd STILL wake at 6!
Mom: But we want to spend some more time with them!
Me: You live with them, you see them every day. It's bedtime. NOW.

Honestly I still have a hard time getting them to take me seriously.

That would drive me bonkers!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

magicdomino

« Reply #14334 on: January 03, 2014, 10:40:53 AM »
(snipped)

Went and looked at her Pinterest - she has no clue what is "Victorian," does she?
Doesn't look like it.  Maybe she's one of those people who lump everything before her own birth as "The Olden Days."  And in her mind, all "olden days fashion" = Victorian.

In her mind:  Long dress, fancy material, lots of petticoats = Victorian  Because this is her fantasy and reality doesn't matter.   ::)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14335 on: January 03, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
I admit that I am often perplexed by the way some people say things. Here is an example of what I heard today; in both examples, the same person was speaking. It is the use, or non-use, of plurals. In this case, the base word was "text." Plural, for them, was "textses." The past tense (having texted) was text, as in, " I text him yesterday." Okay, I'm more than perplexed. It just sounds really off to me!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14336 on: January 03, 2014, 03:27:08 PM »
"Textses" makes me think of Gollum.

My father had major surgery earlier this week. He is in fair condition and the recovery is going to be a trial for him and my mom. Already, though, they are driving me up with wall with comments about how "lucky" they are to have blah blah insurance and how it is going to be so great not to have to worry about the bills. I don't have the heart to remind them the same insurance did not cover all of my mother's major surgery last year, so I am not quite so certain.

Also, saying that they are so "lucky" their insurance has home health care coverage. Exact quote: "Not everyone can afford home health care. We are so 'lucky'!"

My parents are of US government insurance coverage age, so I am really not getting this whole thought process. Sigh. I am biting my tongue a lot.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #14337 on: January 03, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »
I admit that I am often perplexed by the way some people say things. Here is an example of what I heard today; in both examples, the same person was speaking. It is the use, or non-use, of plurals. In this case, the base word was "text." Plural, for them, was "textses." The past tense (having texted) was text, as in, " I text him yesterday." Okay, I'm more than perplexed. It just sounds really off to me!

My nieces do the same thing and also do it with the word "tastes", pronouncing it taste-uzz.  Drives me straight up the wall.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14338 on: January 03, 2014, 04:09:37 PM »

My nieces do the same thing and also do it with the word "tastes", pronouncing it taste-uzz.  Drives me straight up the wall.

Is it more common than it was when I was a kid, or am I just noticing it more?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14339 on: January 03, 2014, 04:38:07 PM »
the contracters who plow my complex. Its not the first time they've done it either. If you park in the lot, and there's no one on one side of you, or both sides, they will plow up, and cut over, pushing the snow right up against your car, all the way up from the ground.  If they'd cut over a half a foot or so before, no issue. But they don't, and today it took me an extra 15 minutes to dig my car out because of that, in 10 degree weather with a wind chill. Its probably a good thing no one was in the office when I called as I was NOt in the best of moods.