Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1649115 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14340 on: January 03, 2014, 05:14:30 PM »
Piratelvr1121, nothing like someone laughing at you to take away your authority.

Tell me about it.  When DH got out of the USMC, we moved back east to be near family and as we didn't have a place lined up to move into and he didn't have a job yet, we lived with my folks for about 2 months.  He thankfully found a job quickly but those two months were extremely unpleasant and reminded me very quickly why we never got along.

It was two months full of being undermined!

Me: Come on boys, it's time for bed
Mom: Really? It's only 8:30! That's so early!!
Me: It's their bedtime, they need their sleep.
Mom: But where do they have to go tomorrow? They can sleep in!
Me: But they WON'T! You could put them to bed at midnight and they'd STILL wake at 6!
Mom: But we want to spend some more time with them!
Me: You live with them, you see them every day. It's bedtime. NOW.

Honestly I still have a hard time getting them to take me seriously.

That would drive me bonkers!

It did, and that kind of stuff (the constant undermining and lack of respect for boundaries) is a big reason they're not a part of our lives anymore.   

They'd also try to play DH and I off each other.  Once, about a year later, DH was going on a little trip to play golf with a buddy, something I was perfectly alright with. I don't like to play golf, am awful at it so I didn't begrudge him having a short trip with a buddy who does enjoy it and wouldn't slow him down.  Course this also meant me being alone with the boys (ages 4 and 2) for a week, I think it was? 

After he left my mother told me "Well Dhsname said he thought it would be a vacation for you too, just you alone with the boys for a week!" This was said with a really disapproving tone. I looked at her and laughed, saying "He did not say that, he's not stupid." 

He and I talked later that day and we laughed about what she said and he too said "Why would I say that? I'm not that stupid!" 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #14341 on: January 03, 2014, 05:29:13 PM »
I admit that I am often perplexed by the way some people say things. Here is an example of what I heard today; in both examples, the same person was speaking. It is the use, or non-use, of plurals. In this case, the base word was "text." Plural, for them, was "textses." The past tense (having texted) was text, as in, " I text him yesterday." Okay, I'm more than perplexed. It just sounds really off to me!

My nieces do the same thing and also do it with the word "tastes", pronouncing it taste-uzz.  Drives me straight up the wall.

Is it more common than it was when I was a kid, or am I just noticing it more?

I think I just notice it more. 

TeamBhakta

« Reply #14342 on: January 03, 2014, 10:29:20 PM »
I am never putting photos or videos on Facebook again. A few weeks ago, I deleted some videos that had been on "friends only" view. This week FB put up a square on my newsfeed that says "your year in review", with my avatar in the center + screen caps from the deleted videos making up the square  :o Also, there's no "I don't want to see this item" or "delete this" button for that picture like there are for other FB newsfeed stories. Makes me furious

Redsoil

« Reply #14343 on: January 03, 2014, 11:55:33 PM »
I just assume that no matter what one does, Facebook is open to all comers.  No matter how you lock it down, there are work-arounds, rule changes and "updates" that effectively undo such things.  Thus, I treat Facebook as public space.  Mind, I'm pretty open anyway!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #14344 on: January 04, 2014, 12:13:28 AM »
Right now these mini marathons on all the channels are driving me nuts! I don't want to watch 8 episodes of one of your shows, please switch it up! I am hoping it's just bc of the holiday/time of year, but I actually feel like it's been like this for a while. (HGTV specifically...)

C'mon! It's too cold to go outside! I want to watch home improvement shows and daydream about my future projects - not watch 400 episodes of House Hunters >:-(

I suppose I could like, clean the house or stop putting off packing for the upcoming move... But who wants to do that?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:15:41 AM by Delia DeLyons »
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #14345 on: January 04, 2014, 12:19:47 AM »
I watch anime on Crunchyroll.com (it's all legal and licenced!) and, because they're paying for it and need to make their money back, there are ads.

I don't mind the ads. I'm even okay with the unskippable ones, because they're short (though I doubt anyone ever DOESN'T skip the ones that go for fifteen minutes!). They're paying for my free anime fix, so it's all cool.

What I do object to is when every. single. ad. played during thirteen episodes (two days worth of watching Log Horizon) is the same one. Seven or eight ad slots per episode. Two ads at a time. All unskippable. ALL THE SAME AD.

I can now confidently state that I have no desire whatsoever to watch the latest Jack Ryan movie. >:(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #14346 on: January 04, 2014, 12:37:45 AM »
Other 'little things' bothering me right now are the mice (or mouse..) scittering around in my drop ceiling (basement apartment of private residence).

I recently broke up with my boyfriend, or he'd have taken care of it for me in a second... For now I have to deal with the cats zipping around following the noise.. I'm moving over the next 2 weeks, so I'm avoiding dealing with it myself... It's cold outside, we live in the woods.. It's kind of a given.

I'll be sure to mention to my kindly landlord AFTER I've gotten my stuff and my cats out, though.
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

BarensMom

« Reply #14347 on: January 04, 2014, 08:28:26 AM »
I watch anime on Crunchyroll.com (it's all legal and licenced!) and, because they're paying for it and need to make their money back, there are ads.

I don't mind the ads. I'm even okay with the unskippable ones, because they're short (though I doubt anyone ever DOESN'T skip the ones that go for fifteen minutes!). They're paying for my free anime fix, so it's all cool.

What I do object to is when every. single. ad. played during thirteen episodes (two days worth of watching Log Horizon) is the same one. Seven or eight ad slots per episode. Two ads at a time. All unskippable. ALL THE SAME AD.

I can now confidently state that I have no desire whatsoever to watch the latest Jack Ryan movie. >:(

Amen, Mel.  When I caught myself up on "Attack on Titan" at Crunchyroll a few months ago, it was the same commercial over and over and over... If I never see the "Poo-pouri" commercial again, it'll be too soon.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #14348 on: January 04, 2014, 08:41:42 AM »

Amen, Mel.  When I caught myself up on "Attack on Titan" at Crunchyroll a few months ago, it was the same commercial over and over and over... If I never see the "Poo-pouri" commercial again, it'll be too soon.

*fistbump of sympathy* :-*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Snooks

« Reply #14349 on: January 04, 2014, 09:40:24 AM »

*fistbump of sympathy* :-*

Mine's the un-skippable Blackberry advert at the beginning of every Sky on Demand show.  I want to throw all those people's silly Blackberrys over the edge of that terrace they're all having a jolly good time on.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #14350 on: January 04, 2014, 03:05:28 PM »
(snipped)

Went and looked at her Pinterest - she has no clue what is "Victorian," does she?
Doesn't look like it.  Maybe she's one of those people who lump everything before her own birth as "The Olden Days."  And in her mind, all "olden days fashion" = Victorian.

In her mind:  Long dress, fancy material, lots of petticoats = Victorian  Because this is her fantasy and reality doesn't matter.   ::)

Her comment of "please stop Correcting me on my pin titles" tells me that she's not only ignorant, but aggressively ignorant. I really don't like people like that. But I also don't like people who use Random Capitalization either.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #14351 on: January 04, 2014, 08:58:20 PM »
(snipped)

Went and looked at her Pinterest - she has no clue what is "Victorian," does she?
Doesn't look like it.  Maybe she's one of those people who lump everything before her own birth as "The Olden Days."  And in her mind, all "olden days fashion" = Victorian.

In her mind:  Long dress, fancy material, lots of petticoats = Victorian  Because this is her fantasy and reality doesn't matter.   ::)

Her comment of "please stop Correcting me on my pin titles" tells me that she's not only ignorant, but aggressively ignorant. I really don't like people like that. But I also don't like people who use Random Capitalization either.

That comment alone nearly pushed me to add correct information to as many of her pins as I could. I decided to be a better person, though, and just ignore her. You all should be proud of me!

andi

« Reply #14352 on: January 04, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »
Urgh!!!
Being accused of being rude - when I wasn't. And then being accused of being rude because the other person was a purple. 

No no no no no. It happened at work so it's bugging me more from a professional level than personal, because I know neither is true and so does my boss. But still - just URGH!!!

Snooks

« Reply #14353 on: January 05, 2014, 12:05:35 PM »
Double standards on tv when it comes to gender.  I watched a show this afternoon where if a scenario had been happening to a woman it never would have been filmed let alone aired.  There was an advert a few years ago where women laughed at a man because of his appearance, again if it were a woman people would have been up in arms.  Same deal with the Diet Coke adverts, women rushing to watch a man take his shirt off.

EllenS

« Reply #14354 on: January 06, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
When your nose is so cold you can't feel it is running until it's too late.  Ugh.