Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1679586 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14400 on: January 08, 2014, 08:54:48 PM »
Lately, I've noticed that a lot of the random stuff and videos going around on FB are using "[someone/something] was [random action] and you will never believe what happened!!!!" taglines. It drives me crazy. I am not going to click on some random link just to see what it is about. If the unbelievable thing interests me, I would. But, lacking any other information, I will just move on rather watching tons of stuff with little idea if it is, indeed, so amazing.

It used to be that this kind of tagging was used mainly in links to sites selling dubious "secrets" ("You will never believe this simple weight loss trick!") but now I see it everywhere.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #14401 on: January 08, 2014, 09:05:07 PM »
Lately, I've noticed that a lot of the random stuff and videos going around on FB are using "[someone/something] was [random action] and you will never believe what happened!!!!" taglines. It drives me crazy. I am not going to click on some random link just to see what it is about. If the unbelievable thing interests me, I would. But, lacking any other information, I will just move on rather watching tons of stuff with little idea if it is, indeed, so amazing.

It used to be that this kind of tagging was used mainly in links to sites selling dubious "secrets" ("You will never believe this simple weight loss trick!") but now I see it everywhere.

A lot of those tend to be caused by malware or people's accounts being compromised. Not all of them, but it's best to be safe by not clicking on them just in case, so you're doing the right thing. :)

I'm being driven up the wall out of nervous annoyance right now. I ordered a feather blanket shell, I got the ship notice yesterday...and today I got an email saying they refunded me the entire purchase price and shipping. What the heck? It's already shipped, and the email doesn't say why I was refunded...

(Not a scam, for those of you whose hinky meters are going off. I checked, I was in fact refunded the money.)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #14402 on: January 08, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »
Working hard on a fanfic, and getting views but no reviews.  Then again, I'm really bad at leaving reviews myself, sooo...Thing is, until I get at least one single review, I'm going crazy wondering if my story stinks.  Ah well.

This! THIS! *flail*

...CrochetFanatic, what's your fic based on? And are you interested in anime fic, specifically Log Horizon? :-*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #14403 on: January 08, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »
Today's pet peeve is people stating the obvious.

I live in one of the areas that is currently very cold. We're used to it, so we just hunker down and deal with it.
Unfortunately for us, flaws in the design of our new building mean that our furnaces have been freezing up.
We've been down 2 of our 7 furnaces since Monday.

So, some parts of the building get a bit chilly, We put on sweaters or use heaters.

I was fine for most of the day, but about mid-afternoon I was cold so I put on my sweater.
And *every* single person that walked by my desk said "Are you cold?"
 ::)
One person actually said "Are you cold or are you just wearing your hoodie?"
 :o

Thank you Captain Obvious!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14404 on: January 08, 2014, 11:06:34 PM »
Proactiv stinks. I ordered it, and the company put it on auto renew, so every three months they bill your card and send another box. In July, I canceled all future shipments, in October they billed me twice for two different amounts, I called them and they told me they were then cancelling the auto shipment, and would refund both amounts. They did not.

I disputed the charges with my bank. No more was heard from them.

Until today. They billed me again. I was so angry I would not have been capable of civil speech on the phone. I really don't want to have to cancel my cards.

CakeEater

« Reply #14405 on: January 09, 2014, 04:06:39 AM »
I'm looking at dresses online. I'm 6" tall, and about a size 18. Apparently, I'm too big for normal shops. OK, look at plus size shops. It seems to be typical that these shops advertise their clothes to be size 12-whatever (24,36 etc). Find a dress that looks nice, not too expensive, might fall past mid-thigh - excellent.

Look at their size chart - my measurements indicate that I'm smaller than a size 12.

I'm too big for small shops and too small for plus size shops.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #14406 on: January 09, 2014, 04:32:34 AM »
I'm looking at dresses online. I'm 6" tall, and about a size 18. Apparently, I'm too big for normal shops. OK, look at plus size shops. It seems to be typical that these shops advertise their clothes to be size 12-whatever (24,36 etc). Find a dress that looks nice, not too expensive, might fall past mid-thigh - excellent.

Look at their size chart - my measurements indicate that I'm smaller than a size 12.

I'm too big for small shops and too small for plus size shops.
Oh CakeEater I can sympathise with that  -bigtime! Especially when I was pregnant - all of the 'regular' maternity gear seemed to just be the same old tiny stuff with a 'pouch' at the front about the size of a small watermelon.

It is irritating, though, when 'plus size' stores start at a 'size 12' but make their sizes so oversized (in a possibly miscalculated effort to make their clients feel thinner) that they're actually bigger at their starting sizes than the biggest sizes at a smaller fitting designer.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

CakeEater

« Reply #14407 on: January 09, 2014, 05:05:23 AM »
Oh CakeEater I can sympathise with that  -bigtime! Especially when I was pregnant - all of the 'regular' maternity gear seemed to just be the same old tiny stuff with a 'pouch' at the front about the size of a small watermelon.

It is irritating, though, when 'plus size' stores start at a 'size 12' but make their sizes so oversized (in a possibly miscalculated effort to make their clients feel thinner) that they're actually bigger at their starting sizes than the biggest sizes at a smaller fitting designer.

Yes - why is there no maternity clothes past about size 16? Do larger people not get pregnant, or do they figure you won't notice anyway?

They obviously do think that people will feel better if they call them a size 12 instead of a size 18. It's the same at Rockmans shops. I'm too big for size 18s in their normal range, but too small for the 16s in their plus size range.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #14408 on: January 09, 2014, 05:39:16 AM »
ARGH! Yes~! I work for a plus size shop (same kind of thing as Rockmans but a 'higher end' (that is, more expensive) version) and we have a number of ladies who come to us because of things like that.
Our size '12' is about the size Target calls a 16 in their womens' range, and I did a check when I was emptying my wardrobe to move, I have tops and bottoms in there ranging from size 12 (my designer's t-shirts) to size 24 (Target maternity shorts).

Bear in mind I often wear those size 24 shorts with that size 12 top. I'm not sure how that is supposed to make me feel about the size of my backside...
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

cabbageweevil

« Reply #14409 on: January 09, 2014, 06:10:03 AM »
Cabbageweevil, I know of  a Tshirt you might appreciate...
http://www.unshelved.com/store/Shirts/BookWasBetter

I have at times considered getting one for myself.
Thanks ! I am indeed tempted...

People always seem to say (or they do to me, anyway), "You've got to forget all about the book -- just regard the film(s) as a completely different work, to be approached in own right, as such."  If I try to do that, I nevertheless pretty well always end up thinking, "I wish the film-maker hadn't bothered."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14410 on: January 09, 2014, 06:54:05 AM »
I'm 40 now.  40.  Not in my thirties, in a new demographic, entering my fifth decade on this planet.

I know, it's an amazingly little thing (and I should be happy to have made it this far, anyway), but dangit, I miss being able to say I was in my thirties.

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #14411 on: January 09, 2014, 07:31:08 AM »
I am annoyed that I have managed to catch my second cold in less then a month. I usually get one or two colds a year (  sometimes seasonally). Getting one in Dec and now in Jan is not fun. Especially since I have my anxiety to deal with too and colds make me anxious. I also have so many pills for my various conditions I could open up my own chemist shop.

WishUponAStar

« Reply #14412 on: January 09, 2014, 09:09:37 AM »
Follow up to my previous post about misplacing research. My own scatterbrained messiness drives me up the wall. The missing research was in plain sight the whole time, just not in the format I was 100% sure it was in. Whoops.  8)

hjaye

« Reply #14413 on: January 09, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
Yes it's news, but you don't have to report on it every five minutes!
10:00am "It's sooooo cold out!"
10:05am "Yep, it's still cold!"
10:15am "Can you believe it? Still cold!"

Same with snow storms. If I'm staying home from work because it's too cold or snowy to get out of my driveway, I want to watch trash TV that I don't otherwise get to see. So stop reporting on how many degrees we've dropped or how many more inches of snow fell in the last half hour.  ::)

I can't stand it when they do it in the summer.  "Oh my God, it's hot, it's been hot, it's going to stay hot, the lakes are down, the drought is the worst we've had in xxxx years.  The crops are dying, it's hot." 

I've got news for them.  It's August, it's Dallas, it's hot.  When we get a snow storm on August 1st, then I can see reporting about the weather.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14414 on: January 09, 2014, 10:06:57 AM »
Regarding weather reports and storms: When there's a dangerous hurricane and they're telling people to stay off the beaches, there are police directing people away from the beaches and even evacuating.

Then you have the weather reporters ON THE BEACH talking about how strong the winds are like it's a shocker.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata