Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1789196 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14415 on: January 09, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »
I think that maybe I'm going to hate my new satnav. I've only had it on for a short trip I could already manage, to see how it differed from my old one, and already I want to slap it. I know that nowadays all the speech is put together from clipped syllables (there's a name for this and I can't remember it) but... would it have been too much of a killer to have a few complete words? Mostly she's all RP and then suddenly she's not. She says 'A-f-noooo' for Avenue (and in British English, that's a 'yew' sound anyway), 'Gordon' for 'Garden' and 'Cloze' for 'Close'. Surely the basic street types would have warranted their own recordings? I can't even change the voice because this is the only one that does the new thing about telling you to turn 'at Marks & Spencer' rather than 'at the next junction'.

Oh well. The last one was very funny when we went to Ireland. You could almost hear her take a breath and a run up at places like Magherafelt, and what she made of Dún Laoghaire had to be heard to be believed.

Well, pronouncing Dún Laoghaire is a pretty good "did you do your research?" test; I suspect that satnavs are in crying need of internationalization, so the device has some chance of getting it right when the name is using the Latin alphabet in non-English ways, whether it's Irish, Welsh, Spanish, or Czech.

Off at a tangent -- but this is "Time For a Coffee Break", after all.  Satnav-speak aside: I find that Irish place names can be decidedly challenging for a poor "Saxon" -- and not only those which look, to a non-native, like alphabet soup.  For long, I've been familiar with the names of places in Ireland from the map, but have rarely heard them spoken.  Often, when spoken, they turn out not to be as I'd assumed from seeing them in print.  The stress turns out to be not on the expected syllable; or the number of syllables is greater than had been assumed.  Or things just seem inconsistent.  FRHC: re Magherafelt, which you mention -- just down the road from there, is the "similar-looking-name" town of Maghera.  Pronunciation of those, was explained to me by someone who came from that area: "MAHR-a-felt", and "Mach-er-AH" [hard "ch" as in "loch"], respectively -- neither pronunciation was what I had previously imagined.  It all has an ignoramus from "the other island", going "???".

daen

« Reply #14416 on: January 09, 2014, 10:21:49 AM »
Cabbageweevil, I know of  a Tshirt you might appreciate...
http://www.unshelved.com/store/Shirts/BookWasBetter

I have at times considered getting one for myself.
Thanks ! I am indeed tempted...

People always seem to say (or they do to me, anyway), "You've got to forget all about the book -- just regard the film(s) as a completely different work, to be approached in own right, as such."  If I try to do that, I nevertheless pretty well always end up thinking, "I wish the film-maker hadn't bothered."

The only time the forget-the-book  approach even remotely worked for me was for Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, and that's only because 1) Douglas Adams had already produced umpteen variations (radio, book, tv, computer game, and (I believe) a stage play) and 2) he had been heavily involved with the movie production.

I still think the book was better.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #14417 on: January 09, 2014, 10:28:22 AM »
Working hard on a fanfic, and getting views but no reviews.  Then again, I'm really bad at leaving reviews myself, sooo...Thing is, until I get at least one single review, I'm going crazy wondering if my story stinks.  Ah well.

This! THIS! *flail*

...CrochetFanatic, what's your fic based on? And are you interested in anime fic, specifically Log Horizon? :-*

Unfortunately, I haven't seen that anime.  The last one I watched was Fullmetal Alchemist.  Do you have any for that one, or for Wolf's Rain or Dragonball Z?  :)

I didn't really have an example in mind, though the latest one I wrote was for The Princess Bride.  I wasn't trying to impress anyone with that, though; I was just having fun.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:30:14 AM by CrochetFanatic »

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #14418 on: January 09, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »
Picking up a lovely hot cup of tea to drink it, only to find out...all that is left of it is cold dredges at the bottom  >:(

Running out of wine and it's raining outside and I will not/cannot be bothered to go out in pelting rain to replenish stock. Oh, the irritation.

Watching a REALLY good drama on TV and falling asleep, missing the ending or a vital part of the plot.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14419 on: January 09, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »
I often get ebooks from my library. I love the concept - when it works. Problem is, the last 2 books have been missing pages. Unfortunately, the last one was missing vital, exciting plot information, so the book was essentially useless. Happy I am not!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #14420 on: January 09, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »
Yesterday, DH was balancing our checkbook and cried out "You forgot to record a check!".  Okay, let me look at the register.  I'm checking it over and it looks like I've recorded everything.  Now I'm sitting there, wracking my brain trying to find the check he says wasn't recorded.

Five minutes later he says "Oh, it was the one I just wrote".  Gah!  He's a smart man, but sometimes I wonder.

pwv

« Reply #14421 on: January 09, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »
I'm 40 now.  40.  Not in my thirties, in a new demographic, entering my fifth decade on this planet.

I know, it's an amazingly little thing (and I should be happy to have made it this far, anyway), but dangit, I miss being able to say I was in my thirties.

When someone asks how old you are, just tell them you are "thirty-ten."  Next year you can tell them you are "thirty-eleven", etc.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14422 on: January 09, 2014, 06:07:26 PM »
Yesterday morning, I checked our bank balance, and went about my day.

Last night, DH comes home, aggravated and tells me his transaction didn't go through at the store. I look at the account and there are three charges from stores he went to since that morning. I explain that I could not have known and he could have called to have me check!

mandycorn

« Reply #14423 on: January 09, 2014, 06:12:05 PM »
I have a friend/coworker who I really enjoy talking with; we're in pretty regular communication during the day and in the evenings about work and about life in general via chat programs and text messages.

She picked up a new habit a couple of weeks ago that drives me up the wall.

She ends every question, no matter how innocuous with a double question mark, which my brain refuses to read as a standard question. In my mind, it makes it sound very demanding and bossy, more like a "?!" instead of a "?", if you know what I mean.

I commented to her that I was reading it that way, but she shrugged and said that wasn't how she meant it, which I take to mean that she's happy with her newly invented punctuation mark. She's even started doing it in work emails to other people, which strikes me as unprofessional, but I'm not going to say anything else about it, since she didn't care the first time.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #14424 on: January 09, 2014, 06:53:34 PM »
Working hard on a fanfic, and getting views but no reviews.  Then again, I'm really bad at leaving reviews myself, sooo...Thing is, until I get at least one single review, I'm going crazy wondering if my story stinks.  Ah well.

This! THIS! *flail*

...CrochetFanatic, what's your fic based on? And are you interested in anime fic, specifically Log Horizon? :-*

Unfortunately, I haven't seen that anime.  The last one I watched was Fullmetal Alchemist.  Do you have any for that one, or for Wolf's Rain or Dragonball Z?  :)

I didn't really have an example in mind, though the latest one I wrote was for The Princess Bride.  I wasn't trying to impress anyone with that, though; I was just having fun.  ;)

Nope - Log Horizon, Gundam Wing, and Bleach mostly. I do like FMA but I haven't written for it. Ooh, Princess Bride? Where?

/threadjack We now return you to your regularly scheduled amusements! ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14425 on: January 09, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »
I have a friend/coworker who I really enjoy talking with; we're in pretty regular communication during the day and in the evenings about work and about life in general via chat programs and text messages.

She picked up a new habit a couple of weeks ago that drives me up the wall.

She ends every question, no matter how innocuous with a double question mark, which my brain refuses to read as a standard question. In my mind, it makes it sound very demanding and bossy, more like a "?!" instead of a "?", if you know what I mean.

I commented to her that I was reading it that way, but she shrugged and said that wasn't how she meant it, which I take to mean that she's happy with her newly invented punctuation mark. She's even started doing it in work emails to other people, which strikes me as unprofessional, but I'm not going to say anything else about it, since she didn't care the first time.
There are certain parts of the US where many women (but almost never men) will use a rising tone at the end of a declarative sentence, so that it sounds like a question.  The listener is supposed to infer "Do you understand/agree with me?"  and make a noise indicating agreement/understanding, like "Mm-hmm."  Are these ladies from that part of the country, so that they are translating the semi-question that they make in speech to the written page?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14426 on: January 09, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
FedEx DumbPost strikes again.

I ordered some things from a company to replace stuff in a Christmas box that was stolen from a friend.  I checked the tracking site and stayed home all day for it yesterday.  The site said "Out for Deliver" as of 9:30 AM and it never came.  The latest update, which came in an hour ago said that they attempted to deliver it at 11:14 this morning and the message said

Delivery exception
[address]
Customer not available or business closed - Please contact local Post Office to pick up or reschedule delivery

I was home.  They didn't bother to ring my doorbell.  I will now have to go to the post office to get the package.  This is not the first time.

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #14427 on: January 09, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
Right now? The Final Fantasy XIV (online game) login procedure. If it detects ANY change in my internet setup - if we restarted our modem to solve a slow connection problem, or there was a firmware update - it shuts down my account, and I have to request a password reset. The password reset email ALWAYS takes at least an hour to show up. Every other email from them shows up within minutes.

Hubby has gone off for a long visit with a friend of his, so today was planned as my 'slack around in PJs and play Final Fantasy' day, where I don't have to compete with him for the TV. Buuuut there was a firmware update for the modem last night, so Final Fantasy is locked down and I have to waste my precious arcanist-leveling hours clicking 'refresh' on my email. There are a bunch of other things I could be doing, but because it's not my choice I suddenly don't want to do any of them. I just want my pretty game! >:(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #14428 on: January 09, 2014, 09:05:52 PM »
Right now? The Final Fantasy XIV (online game) login procedure. If it detects ANY change in my internet setup - if we restarted our modem to solve a slow connection problem, or there was a firmware update - it shuts down my account, and I have to request a password reset. The password reset email ALWAYS takes at least an hour to show up. Every other email from them shows up within minutes.

Hubby has gone off for a long visit with a friend of his, so today was planned as my 'slack around in PJs and play Final Fantasy' day, where I don't have to compete with him for the TV. Buuuut there was a firmware update for the modem last night, so Final Fantasy is locked down and I have to waste my precious arcanist-leveling hours clicking 'refresh' on my email. There are a bunch of other things I could be doing, but because it's not my choice I suddenly don't want to do any of them. I just want my pretty game! >:(

...And of course the moment I resign myself to waiting, decide on an alternate amusement, and settle down with tea and some anime, the e-mail arrives. ;D Argh! Timing, people!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #14429 on: January 10, 2014, 03:02:04 AM »
I've been in California for over 5 years. During this time, my mother has come to visit me twice (both times after I begged her to come), one brother has come twice and his wife has come twice (separately from bro: I really love my sister-in-law). Over this time period, I've made it back home at least once a year, which on a grad student budget is pretty expensive and now I've got a lot of demanding experiments, which makes it harder to get away.

Last summer that brother and sis-in-law have moved out to California, to larger city 500 miles from me. Now that he's here, our sister made plans to fly out this summer with her kids, have me meet everybody in SoCal, do the amusement park circuit and road trip up to where I live. Sounds like fun to me!

Then my other brother and his girlfriend announced their own visit this spring. They're flying into SoCal, visiting big bro and want me to come meet them and road trip up to NorCal where I live. I can't make it all the way down, but I can probably meet them part way and host them a few days.

Now my mom and her two friends have made plans to come out to California this summer. Surprisingly, those plans include flying into SoCal and I'm supposed to meet them down there then we all road trip up to my end of the state. They're shocked that I'm not jumping for joy at the opportunity to spend a few days with them on a girls' trip.

After 5 years, suddenly everybody wants to visit and nobody seems to care that my vacation budget and time is extremely limited.