Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1692174 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14430 on: January 10, 2014, 08:49:28 AM »
FedEx DumbPost strikes again.

I ordered some things from a company to replace stuff in a Christmas box that was stolen from a friend.  I checked the tracking site and stayed home all day for it yesterday.  The site said "Out for Deliver" as of 9:30 AM and it never came.  The latest update, which came in an hour ago said that they attempted to deliver it at 11:14 this morning and the message said

Delivery exception
[address]
Customer not available or business closed - Please contact local Post Office to pick up or reschedule delivery

I was home.  They didn't bother to ring my doorbell.  I will now have to go to the post office to get the package.  This is not the first time.

I hate them. I had an issue just the other day (in the never shopping there again thread) Partly my fualt, but I *thought* they could figure it out. My company occupies 2 out of 3 floors of our bldg, and has a separate mailroom and reception desk for us only. the other floor has "regular" mail delivery, by a regular carrier. Our mail comes in the big USPS truck, and our mailroom sorts and delivers it.

Ordered sometning and due to issues at home, had it sent to me at work. I didn't notice until after I had placed the order, the company name had dropped off, so instead of being addressed to me, at "my company name" and "my company address" it was just me and the street address.

at 10:03 am it was "out for delivery" and at 10:26 "delivery exception, sending back to shipper?" Um ok. I suspect what happened is, due to the lack of company name, it came by the regular carrier, who took it up, and was told, nope, this person is not one of our employees. So rather than stopping at reception which they pass by going in and out, they simply took it.And when I called the local PO, they were less than helpful, and I'm being nice here.

It did have a good ending. The mailroom called me yesterday to tell me my package had arrived, and on it, the company name was written in marker, with a "?" So I'm guessing they took it back, and maybe asked, and was told, yes, try larger company.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #14431 on: January 10, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
Working hard on a fanfic, and getting views but no reviews.  Then again, I'm really bad at leaving reviews myself, sooo...Thing is, until I get at least one single review, I'm going crazy wondering if my story stinks.  Ah well.

This! THIS! *flail*

...CrochetFanatic, what's your fic based on? And are you interested in anime fic, specifically Log Horizon? :-*

Unfortunately, I haven't seen that anime.  The last one I watched was Fullmetal Alchemist.  Do you have any for that one, or for Wolf's Rain or Dragonball Z?  :)

I didn't really have an example in mind, though the latest one I wrote was for The Princess Bride.  I wasn't trying to impress anyone with that, though; I was just having fun.  ;)

Nope - Log Horizon, Gundam Wing, and Bleach mostly. I do like FMA but I haven't written for it. Ooh, Princess Bride? Where?

/threadjack We now return you to your regularly scheduled amusements! ;D

FFN, if you're interested.  ;) If you want to tell me where I can find yours, I'll check 'em out!

It bugs me when my mother 'asks' me (after I've told her many times that it's my own business) whether or not I've been taking my antidepressant.  Yes, I promise I have.  It's just PMS.  Incidentally, by asking me such questions at such a time, you're taking your life in your hands!  >:D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14432 on: January 10, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »
I have a friend/coworker who I really enjoy talking with; we're in pretty regular communication during the day and in the evenings about work and about life in general via chat programs and text messages.

She picked up a new habit a couple of weeks ago that drives me up the wall.

She ends every question, no matter how innocuous with a double question mark, which my brain refuses to read as a standard question. In my mind, it makes it sound very demanding and bossy, more like a "?!" instead of a "?", if you know what I mean.

I commented to her that I was reading it that way, but she shrugged and said that wasn't how she meant it, which I take to mean that she's happy with her newly invented punctuation mark. She's even started doing it in work emails to other people, which strikes me as unprofessional, but I'm not going to say anything else about it, since she didn't care the first time.
There are certain parts of the US where many women (but almost never men) will use a
rising tone at the end of a declarative sentence, so that it sounds like a question.  The listener is supposed to infer "Do you understand/agree with me?"  and make a noise indicating agreement/understanding, like "Mm-hmm."  Are these ladies from that part of the country, so that they are translating the semi-question that they make in speech to the written page?

Here, the interrogatory declarative seems to be used by young women and it sounds to me like fingernails on a blackboard. 

'Hello? 'This is Mary Smith?' (I'm not Mary Smith.  Are you?)
'I want to confirm an appointment?  For Wednesday afternoon?  (Are you sure of anything?)

The use of this affectation makes the speaker sound helpless.  It also makes the conversation drag.  Women of my generation and a generation or two after mine don't do this. 

Editeer

« Reply #14433 on: January 10, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »
I'm 40 now.  40.  Not in my thirties, in a new demographic, entering my fifth decade on this planet.

I know, it's an amazingly little thing (and I should be happy to have made it this far, anyway), but dangit, I miss being able to say I was in my thirties.

When someone asks how old you are, just tell them you are "thirty-ten."  Next year you can tell them you are "thirty-eleven", etc.

Even better, you can be "twenty-twenty-one." :)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14434 on: January 10, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »
I have a friend/coworker who I really enjoy talking with; we're in pretty regular communication during the day and in the evenings about work and about life in general via chat programs and text messages.

She ends every question, no matter how innocuous with a double question mark, which my brain refuses to read as a standard question. In my mind, it makes it sound very demanding and bossy, more like a "?!" instead of a "?", if you know what I mean.

I commented to her that I was reading it that way, but she shrugged and said that wasn't how she meant it, which I take to mean that she's happy with her newly invented punctuation mark. She's even started doing it in work emails to other people, which strikes me as unprofessional, but I'm not going to say anything else about it, since she didn't care the first time.
There are certain parts of the US where many women (but almost never men) will use a
rising tone at the end of a declarative sentence, so that it sounds like a question.  The listener is supposed to infer "Do you understand/agree with me?"  and make a noise indicating agreement/understanding, like "Mm-hmm."  Are these ladies from that part of the country, so that they are translating the semi-question that they make in speech to the written page?

Here, the interrogatory declarative seems to be used by young women and it sounds to me like fingernails on a blackboard. 

'I want to confirm an appointment?  For Wednesday afternoon?  (Are you sure of anything?)

The use of this affectation makes the speaker sound helpless.  It also makes the conversation drag.  Women of my generation and a generation or two after mine don't do this. 

It irritates the living daylights out of me.  We didn't have a revolution for nothing, but this kind of thing could set us back.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14435 on: January 10, 2014, 01:54:42 PM »
Siamesecat2965, this deserved its own:

I got back from the store this morning to find my postman putting package slips in mailboxes.  I told him about the FedEx screw-up and he told me that he is reporting it to his supervisor because he had more than the usual number of slips that day and the handwriting on them did not look familiar.  I will wait until Monday to go to the post office to pick up the box because we had some wet, slushy snow today which I don't like walking on.

I'm sending a box to my friend next week.  It will be a large one because it will contain a 24-count box of cat food for her furbaby.  She has to be able to feed her and food stamps can't be used for that.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14436 on: January 10, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »

It irritates the living daylights out of me.  We didn't have a revolution for nothing, but this kind of thing could set us back.

I talked like that as a teen until I had a few English teachers who got myself and other teens out of that habit by challenging them when they'd give the right answer but phrase it as a question.   I still thank those teachers for making me more confident by challenging me in that way. It really did make me learn to make sure I sounded confident when I spoke and knew what I was talking about.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

squeakers

« Reply #14437 on: January 10, 2014, 04:44:02 PM »
For Christmas I bought my 2 older boys nice cellphones.  The ones they had been using were the cheapest ones you could get without a plan... so were the pay as you go kind. The new ones were placed on a plan.

It took us 5 hours to get changed from pay as you go to a plan in the store. The complicating factor being that the boys wanted to keep their numbers vs getting new ones.

First the rep put one (phone A) on a plan.  Then he tried getting the other (phone B) into that same plan.  The computer would not process that request.  He ended up putting phone B on another plan and then ending that plan and merging with phone A's plan.  Can you guess where this is going?

We got a bill for $500 this month and a large part of that was dunh-duhn-dah! For cancelling a plan early!

DH will be stopping at the store and making them fix this.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #14438 on: January 11, 2014, 07:36:08 AM »
My husband's family didn't tell us that his sister was coming over from England. I found out due to a facebook post from her husband and finding the car in the driveway ( we live on their property). Really? My Mil always thinks people tell us things which nobody ever does. She forgets who she tells things to which is usually not us. I know I am not the easiest person to get along with but I just saw and talked to my MIL yesterday and nobody mentioned this. It drives me crazy because I feel the need to socialize ( family and all that) even though I know because of my personality they don't get on with me and I find them hard to deal with. A little warning would be nice especially since I am not well. I have a cold and am sick leave for anxiety. I feel like I am being a big baby but when change to  my routine makes me anxious a little warning that we would be having visitors would be nice.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #14439 on: January 11, 2014, 10:09:04 AM »
New towels. 

Until recently, DH and I were using the same towels we received as wedding gifts...in 2005.  So they were getting a bit worn, as you might imagine.  ;)  A month or so ago, a couple of really good Groupon deals showed up for towels and I hopped on them.  Yay!

They arrived, and were washed before using, of course.  The very full lint trap should have reminded me, but it wasn't until we started using them that I fully remembered just how much new towels tend to shed when you're drying off after a shower.  They've gotten better after each washing since, but the bathroom floor keeps accumulating little bits of colorful lint every morning.  ::)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

BarensMom

« Reply #14440 on: January 11, 2014, 10:35:44 AM »
New towels. 

Until recently, DH and I were using the same towels we received as wedding gifts...in 2005.  So they were getting a bit worn, as you might imagine.  ;)  A month or so ago, a couple of really good Groupon deals showed up for towels and I hopped on them.  Yay!

They arrived, and were washed before using, of course.  The very full lint trap should have reminded me, but it wasn't until we started using them that I fully remembered just how much new towels tend to shed when you're drying off after a shower.  They've gotten better after each washing since, but the bathroom floor keeps accumulating little bits of colorful lint every morning.  ::)

Huh - I just bought new towels from Target and Pottery Barn and didn't have that problem. 

My turn:  I recently finished knitting a sweater vest.  I was concerned with it stretching if I hand washed it, so I took everyone's advice and went to a dry cleaners that specializes in cleaning and blocking knitted items.  Now it's 6 inches longer and looks like a dress. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:39:44 AM by BarensMom »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14441 on: January 11, 2014, 10:40:54 AM »
New towels. 

Huh - I just bought new towels from Target and Pottery Barn and didn't have that problem. 

My turn:  I recently finished knitting a sweater vest.  I was concerned with it stretching if I hand washed it, so I took everyone's advice and went to a dry cleaners that specializes in cleaning and blocking knitted items.  Now it's 6 inches longer and looks like a dress.

I've also never had that problem with new towels, inexpensive and pricy. But I have had friends who have. I wonder what's so different about towels that does (or doesn't) do this

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #14442 on: January 11, 2014, 07:10:27 PM »
My husband's family didn't tell us that his sister was coming over from England. I found out due to a facebook post from her husband and finding the car in the driveway ( we live on their property). Really? My Mil always thinks people tell us things which nobody ever does. She forgets who she tells things to which is usually not us. I know I am not the easiest person to get along with but I just saw and talked to my MIL yesterday and nobody mentioned this. It drives me crazy because I feel the need to socialize ( family and all that) even though I know because of my personality they don't get on with me and I find them hard to deal with. A little warning would be nice especially since I am not well. I have a cold and am sick leave for anxiety. I feel like I am being a big baby but when change to  my routine makes me anxious a little warning that we would be having visitors would be nice.

I don't think you are being a big baby, it would bother me too.

Library Dragon

« Reply #14443 on: January 11, 2014, 08:07:18 PM »
USPS is also on my crazy making list. I've been mailing books to nieces' and nephews' children. Correct amount of postage, marked media mail, good to go. The packages get returned with stickers saying they cannot go on airplanes.  :o

Media mail is slow, space available. No indication that it should be on a plane. I asked the postal clerk when I took them back. He patiently explained that the international restrictions wouldn't allow this type of shipping.  I pointed out that Phoenix, Arizona wasn't international.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Mary Lennox

« Reply #14444 on: January 11, 2014, 09:42:08 PM »
I hate bad internet trolls. A good troll can be entertaining as long as they don't hurt anyone. If you're going to troll, at least keep your persona believable and keep your stories straight.

Don't talk about running your own business and then next week talk about how crappy your boss is. Don't talk about your newborn baby and then next week, your "baby" is suddenly five.

Work out your timeline people! Keep it believable! Troll if you want, but at least be good at it!