Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1783938 times)

Octavia

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14445 on: January 12, 2014, 09:21:14 AM »
After a few months of living in my current home, I still get packages and business mail addressed to the previous owners, who ran a home-based business. You'd think by now they would have notified their clients that they moved. I'm stuck having to call Fed-Ex and UPS to pick up the packages and return them to the senders. I can't even get in touch with the previous home owners because they did not leave a forwarding address. Grrrrrrrr  >:(
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14446 on: January 12, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Jars and other packaging that require super human strength to open! Returned something to Sephora that had  a gift, and splurged on some awesome cream fir my very dry skin. Super sized plastic jar with a simple twist off lid. The foil seal was so tight it took me 10 minutes, using my silicone covered oven gloves to get it open. My hands know hurt from the effort!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14447 on: January 12, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
After a few months of living in my current home, I still get packages and business mail addressed to the previous owners, who ran a home-based business. You'd think by now they would have notified their clients that they moved. I'm stuck having to call Fed-Ex and UPS to pick up the packages and return them to the senders. I can't even get in touch with the previous home owners because they did not leave a forwarding address. Grrrrrrrr  >:(

I used to live in an apt in upstate NY. I constantly got mail for the previous tenant, who apparently had financial issues (mail from collection agencies). She had abruptly left town. Annoying!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14448 on: January 12, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »
USPS is also on my crazy making list. I've been mailing books to nieces' and nephews' children. Correct amount of postage, marked media mail, good to go. The packages get returned with stickers saying they cannot go on airplanes.  :o

Media mail is slow, space available. No indication that it should be on a plane. I asked the postal clerk when I took them back. He patiently explained that the international restrictions wouldn't allow this type of shipping.  I pointed out that Phoenix, Arizona wasn't international.
Arizona?  I can understand that with New Mexico, since a lot of Americans apparently think that the large rectangular place on the map between Texas and Arizona is still part of Mexico (New = null meaning, right?) but Arizona? 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14449 on: January 12, 2014, 01:19:50 PM »
Jars and other packaging that require super human strength to open! Returned something to Sephora that had  a gift, and splurged on some awesome cream fir my very dry skin. Super sized plastic jar with a simple twist off lid. The foil seal was so tight it took me 10 minutes, using my silicone covered oven gloves to get it open. My hands know hurt from the effort!

I use a knife to puncture, using the hole to help me get traction to tear the thing off. If it won't tear off nicely, I just carefully cut all the way around, like swooping the edges of a cake loose. Time: about 20 seconds and no pain.

I have never been able to do in any other way, so I admire you for doing it "properly", ever!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14450 on: January 12, 2014, 01:40:20 PM »
I once bought a container of Cover Girl simply ageless concealer and could NOT get the lid off at all.  Frustrated the you-know-what out of me.  Apparently I wasn't the only one because I came across a video of Ellen DeGeneres (who promotes it) trying to get into it and not having much luck.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #14451 on: January 12, 2014, 02:34:33 PM »

I used to live in an apt in upstate NY. I constantly got mail for the previous tenant, who apparently had financial issues (mail from collection agencies). She had abruptly left town. Annoying!

Last year we started getting mail addressed to someone who hadn't lived in this house for the best part of 20 years. The return address was a government agency.

I marked a couple of envelopes - they were coming about once or twice a week - with 'Not Known At This Address' and put them back in the post. The next ones, I actually readdressed manually to the return address, rather than just striking through my own address.

They kept coming. I gathered three together, and put them in a large envelope with a covering letter, pointing out that he didn't live here, hadn't done for years, that I didn't know where he did live, and that I had sent back several envelopes already. I paid postage on the envelope.

After that, once a fortnight for six weeks, I gathered together all the letters, put them in an envelope, attached a copy of my original letter with COPY in a large font at the top and the dates of both the original letter and all subsequent ones also in bold and in red in the body of the text, and put them back in the post.

I didn't pay postage. In the UK, if a letter is addressed to you with inadequate postage, you have to pay not only the shortfall but also a small admin fee. You get a card telling you that there's an item to be collected, and you have to go to fetch it - it isn't brought with your mail.

Curiously, after the third envelope, the letters stopped.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14452 on: January 12, 2014, 02:37:43 PM »

I use a knife to puncture, using the hole to help me get traction to tear the thing off. If it won't tear off nicely, I just carefully cut all the way around, like swooping the edges of a cake loose. Time: about 20 seconds and no pain.

I have never been able to do in any other way, so I admire you for doing it "properly", ever!

That wasn't the problem, it was getting the lid off! I just realized my original whine wasn't clear. I had trouble twisting off the lid. Once I got that off, it was a piece of cake. But the lid was like it was superglued in!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14453 on: January 12, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »

That wasn't the problem, it was getting the lid off! I just realized my original whine wasn't clear. I had trouble twisting off the lid. Once I got that off, it was a piece of cake. But the lid was like it was superglued in!

Next time you get a lid like that, try running it under some super hot water for a few minutes.  It will allow it to expand just enough to easily get it off...well usually.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #14454 on: January 12, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »

Next time you get a lid like that, try running it under some super hot water for a few minutes.  It will allow it to expand just enough to easily get it off...well usually.

Or tap it against a table. My clarinet teacher used to (gently) do that when my clarinet wouldn't come apart.

Vita brevis, ars longa

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14455 on: January 12, 2014, 03:12:09 PM »

Or tap it against a table. My clarinet teacher used to (gently) do that when my clarinet wouldn't come apart.

Tried both but no go. Just sheer brute force finally worked!!!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14456 on: January 12, 2014, 06:28:06 PM »
Re getting mail for former occupants...

We moved into our apartment on the day that the building was approved for occupancy.  For the last several years, at least once a week, we've been receiving mail for people who have never lived here and never could have lived here.   

As of last week there are said to be 19 people living with us in our two-bedroom apartment. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14457 on: January 12, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
Obviously it was a non-existent address until the building was approved.

kckgirl

« Reply #14458 on: January 12, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
I live on a street with a direction in it (think East Main St, West Main St). For several years now, we've been getting mail for the person on the opposite street with the same house number. First we got credit card bills from Kohl's. I sent those back. Then we started getting their junk mail, which I throw away. One day I got my water bill out of the mailbox, along with the *properly addressed* bill for the person on the opposite street. I circled the direction and wrote it out in words, then mailed it back. It's quite annoying.

I even tried going to the post office to ask for help. They gave me a form and said that anyone whose name was added would receive mail and the rest of it would stop. That didn't work, either. Drives me up the wall!
Maryland

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14459 on: January 12, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
Obviously it was a non-existent address until the building was approved.

Wonder if people were using it as an address a la Elwood Blues.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata