Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1735622 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14460 on: January 12, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »
I'm mad at myself for my own envy.   Every Christmas we get a letter from my nephew and his wife about how great their year was, how both their careers are growing, how well the kids are doing in school, and how many friends the kids have made.  Then there's the entertainment they hired for the 6 year old's birthday party, the swim club  where NephewSon immediately excelled on the swim team and Dad is the coach, etc. etc. 

It makes me want to write a letter back about DD's head lice attack last February, how I destroyed the fender of the car by backing into a pole, how I was struggling in my job, etc. etc.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #14461 on: January 12, 2014, 10:02:28 PM »
Guihong, Christmas letters are like most blogs, Pinterest, etc. They aren't a memoir or autobiography. People share the good part (because that is what we imagine people want to know and what we want to share) and say nothing of the bad (because no one wants to be a downer or because people don't want to share the bad parts). They are highly edited!

Feel absolutely free to imagine that your nephew hates his boss, his wife is worried about being laid off and the children had lice and a huge bout of the flu. None of that made it into the letter >:D

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14462 on: January 12, 2014, 11:58:24 PM »
Obviously it was a non-existent address until the building was approved.

Wonder if people were using it as an address a la Elwood Blues.
Or it's being used fraudulently.  Is it things like collection letters?  We got collection calls for years when someone was using our phone number fraudulently.  I finally worked up a spiel that I launched into whenever another call came in for that person, and after a while they stopped.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #14463 on: January 13, 2014, 12:18:40 AM »
I'm mad at myself for my own envy.   Every Christmas we get a letter from my nephew and his wife about how great their year was, how both their careers are growing, how well the kids are doing in school, and how many friends the kids have made.  Then there's the entertainment they hired for the 6 year old's birthday party, the swim club  where NephewSon immediately excelled on the swim team and Dad is the coach, etc. etc. 

It makes me want to write a letter back about DD's head lice attack last February, how I destroyed the fender of the car by backing into a pole, how I was struggling in my job, etc. etc.

I think I've told this story here before, but I'll share it again.

One year my mother broke her arm shortly before Christmas and asked my siblings and I to take care of the Christmas letters/Christmas cards. Well, instead of the usual braggy epistle, we wrote paragraphs about our worst moments of the year, including me getting sent to the principal's office for giving a boy a black eye during religion class. Mom foolishly trusted us to do all this unsupervised so the first she knew about the letter was when she started getting phone calls from distant relatives and friends she hadn't talked to in years, all laughing hysterically at "her" Christmas letter.

Fifteen years later, every Christmas some relative or neighbor manages to brings up the letter and my mother gets all flustered while my siblings and I laugh until we cry.

In other words, do it!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14464 on: January 13, 2014, 01:20:31 AM »

I think I've told this story here before, but I'll share it again.

One year my mother broke her arm shortly before Christmas and asked my siblings and I to take care of the Christmas letters/Christmas cards. Well, instead of the usual braggy epistle, we wrote paragraphs about our worst moments of the year, including me getting sent to the principal's office for giving a boy a black eye during religion class. Mom foolishly trusted us to do all this unsupervised so the first she knew about the letter was when she started getting phone calls from distant relatives and friends she hadn't talked to in years, all laughing hysterically at "her" Christmas letter.

Fifteen years later, every Christmas some relative or neighbor manages to brings up the letter and my mother gets all flustered while my siblings and I laugh until we cry.

In other words, do it!
And in the final paragraph, say that none of the humans had time to write the letter, so you did it for them, and sign the name of your dog or cat.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #14465 on: January 13, 2014, 03:01:56 AM »
I can buy cheap earrings and they last into eternity.

Every time I buy really nice expensive ones, they break on the first wear. You would think something expensive was crafted to last, but nooooo!

WHY is that?!

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

jeni

« Reply #14466 on: January 13, 2014, 03:03:21 AM »
Ok so up front this doesn't drive me completely up the wall, it's just a minor bug bear, something that puzzles/annoys me.

I love Etiquette Hell, it's my favourite go to place when I want to just chill out and read interesting things, and I really like reading long posts, but I cannot understand it when responders quote (and copy) the entire original post in their response. 

I'm not talking about items that appear in general threads such as this one where you really do need to quote the post that you're responding to because it contains numerous different topics.  I'm talking about threads which are just for that one topic, and responders quote the entire original post which is sometimes several screens long and sometimes it's the first or second response in the thread that does so.   

I love a good long read so I don't mind the long back stories, it just annoys me to scroll through pages of unnecessarily copied info.

I know, I know, my life is pretty good if I have only this to whinge about - I could whinge about other things but that would take up too many pages! lol

static

« Reply #14467 on: January 13, 2014, 05:46:21 AM »
I edit a biannual newsletter for a volunteer organisation I belong to, and am currently working on the next issue. It drives me absolutely bonkers that every single time I have to remind the same couple of contributors not to;

1 - send me things in .docx format, because my laptop can't read them.*
2 - not to include photos they want to use as part of a word document, because it vastly reduces the image quality.

One of the most frequent offenders is the head of the organisation. *Sigh*

*Partially my fault, I admit - I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to MS Office, and it appears that my refusal to upgrade to the latest version is the cause. I have tried to fix the issue, but haven't had much luck.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14468 on: January 13, 2014, 06:20:32 AM »
I can buy cheap earrings and they last into eternity.

Every time I buy really nice expensive ones, they break on the first wear. You would think something expensive was crafted to last, but nooooo!

WHY is that?!

YES! 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14469 on: January 13, 2014, 07:02:03 AM »
Guihong, Christmas letters are like most blogs, Pinterest, etc. They aren't a memoir or autobiography. People share the good part (because that is what we imagine people want to know and what we want to share) and say nothing of the bad (because no one wants to be a downer or because people don't want to share the bad parts). They are highly edited!

Feel absolutely free to imagine that your nephew hates his boss, his wife is worried about being laid off and the children had lice and a huge bout of the flu. None of that made it into the letter >:D

Maybe it's just the circle my folks ran in and how they were themselves, but after a few years of reading those letters I was pretty well convinced that WAS their purpose, to incite envy.  "Look how perfect my family is and how well we're doing!"  ::) :P

My mother tried to get me to write one of those letters for our family in 2004 which was a pretty dismal year for the family, really.  My grandpa died, DH and I separated (got back together but still) and a few other things on top of that.  Mom kept after me until Dad said "You know, this really isn't a good year to do it."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Carotte

« Reply #14470 on: January 13, 2014, 07:54:49 AM »
I already had trouble finding a few key phrases for my new year cards and I keept them personal information free, I can't imagine trying to write an actual letter, bragging or not!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14471 on: January 13, 2014, 08:05:48 AM »
In hindsight I should have written a "letter" that poked fun at all the bragging letters but ah well. That probably wouldn't have gone over too well. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14472 on: January 13, 2014, 08:30:23 AM »
I make a photo card with pictures from the year. Right after Thanksgiving, the photo lab has a special where you get 30% more cards for free. I have too many cards. I think I might wallpaper a bathroom with the extras.  ;D

hjaye

« Reply #14473 on: January 13, 2014, 09:19:48 AM »
I edit a biannual newsletter for a volunteer organisation I belong to, and am currently working on the next issue. It drives me absolutely bonkers that every single time I have to remind the same couple of contributors not to;

1 - send me things in .docx format, because my laptop can't read them.*
2 - not to include photos they want to use as part of a word document, because it vastly reduces the image quality.

One of the most frequent offenders is the head of the organisation. *Sigh*

*Partially my fault, I admit - I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to MS Office, and it appears that my refusal to upgrade to the latest version is the cause. I have tried to fix the issue, but haven't had much luck.

do they understand how to save a file in a .doc as opposed to a docx format? 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14474 on: January 13, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »

But as someone else pointed out, they only focus on the good, not the bad or ugly.  I discovered this when attending my 25th HS reunion. I was anxious about going, as I was shy and quiet in HS and felt like I hadn't really "accomplished" much in life, in spite of having a master's degree, being employed etc. On the surface, everyone else seemed soooo much more successful than me. I was convinced since I don't own a home, but rent an apt, I'd be looked at as a loser.

But you know what, after reconnecting with some folks, and getting re-acquainted, or in some cases, getting to know some I hadn't back then, everyone has their issues. Or had them, some much worse than mine. So while its tough, allow yourself to be envious for a smidge, then look back on all the things YOU have going on that are good.