Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1736927 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14490 on: January 14, 2014, 12:06:29 PM »
Eat more garlic.  That usually keeps those bloodsuckers away just as well as these: 

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #14491 on: January 14, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
I have fallen in love with the Dole Chopped Salad blends. We ate salad all week last week, and topped it with the Panera dressing that is also now at my grocery store.

Now...there are NONE of these salads nor the dressing stocked at the store. I am hoping it's because they were wildly popular and a fresh supply is on the way, but it's really bumming me out. (Especially since I stopped at the store on my way to work, hoping to pick up a bag for my lunch. Now I have no lunch.)

123sandy

« Reply #14492 on: January 14, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
My husband can start multiple "helpful" things around the house, get distracted and the house is untidy all day till I nag him into finishing.

Eg...he decided to clear out the desk, emptied all the drawers onto the dining table and found something that needed to go in his tool box. Empty tool box, find a cable for game system decide to sort that out instead. Need something from the shop, leave mess everywhere, go shopping...

Also ( and I sound like a grumpy cow with this one) married couples who have to declare their feelings for each other on FB, multiple times a week. You live under the same roof! Can't you just turn round to say it? It drives me nuts and seems desperate.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14493 on: January 14, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »
If they're still bothering you I have to ask if you are wearing any yellow clothing.  Flying insects -- including the ones that sting -- love yellow.  I learned this at a company picnic many years ago when I was wearing a yellow T-shirt that had a magazine logo on it.  Fortunately I had a white T-shirt in the gym bag I was carrying.

It could also partly be due to body chemistry. For the same reasons that mosquitoes love feasting on some people but avoid others like the plague, insects are more attracted to certain people than others. I'm one of those people. I can never go anywhere in the summer without bugs deciding I must smell fun. :(

Same here. No yellow (not really a color that's flattering on me) but I seem to be irresistible to insects of all sorts.  When we had fleas years ago they barely bothered anyone else but I was absolutely covered in their bites. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14494 on: January 14, 2014, 01:30:19 PM »
My husband can start multiple "helpful" things around the house, get distracted and the house is untidy all day till I nag him into finishing.

Eg...he decided to clear out the desk, emptied all the drawers onto the dining table and found something that needed to go in his tool box. Empty tool box, find a cable for game system decide to sort that out instead. Need something from the shop, leave mess everywhere, go shopping...

Also ( and I sound like a grumpy cow with this one) married couples who have to declare their feelings for each other on FB, multiple times a week. You live under the same roof! Can't you just turn round to say it? It drives me nuts and seems desperate.

That would be annoying. I could see if it was once in a while but that often? Would make me wonder, but then I can be a bit suspicious/cynical.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TeamBhakta

« Reply #14495 on: January 14, 2014, 02:12:42 PM »
There were two diplomats sitting behind me at a restaurant. It was very obvious they were on a date. And boy were they loud talkers + very braggy. They gave me a dang headache. Sheesh, either use indoor voices or go back to your hotel room together!

mandycorn

« Reply #14496 on: January 14, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »
I have a friend/coworker who I really enjoy talking with; we're in pretty regular communication during the day and in the evenings about work and about life in general via chat programs and text messages.

She picked up a new habit a couple of weeks ago that drives me up the wall.

She ends every question, no matter how innocuous with a double question mark, which my brain refuses to read as a standard question. In my mind, it makes it sound very demanding and bossy, more like a "?!" instead of a "?", if you know what I mean.

I commented to her that I was reading it that way, but she shrugged and said that wasn't how she meant it, which I take to mean that she's happy with her newly invented punctuation mark. She's even started doing it in work emails to other people, which strikes me as unprofessional, but I'm not going to say anything else about it, since she didn't care the first time.
There are certain parts of the US where many women (but almost never men) will use a rising tone at the end of a declarative sentence, so that it sounds like a question.  The listener is supposed to infer "Do you understand/agree with me?"  and make a noise indicating agreement/understanding, like "Mm-hmm."  Are these ladies from that part of the country, so that they are translating the semi-question that they make in speech to the written page?

Nope, I've never heard them do it verbally. It's literally just using "??" where "?" would be appropriate. It's very strange.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

magicdomino

« Reply #14497 on: January 14, 2014, 03:32:13 PM »
Flies!!!!!! They're buzzing all around me and despite the traps I set out (one with red wine vinegar, the other with some karo syrup and sugar which has claimed at least one curious fly) they're STILL landing on me and buzzing around my head. 

I'm not like Pigpen here, I'm clean, and the perfume I wore yesterday has faded so I just don't know what could be distracting them from the jars o' bait.

The summer before last, we had a veritable biblical plague of flies.  Sadly, the only thing that worked for us is fly strips... they just look so tacky, y'know?

:P  :)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14498 on: January 14, 2014, 03:43:03 PM »
Flies!!!!!! They're buzzing all around me and despite the traps I set out (one with red wine vinegar, the other with some karo syrup and sugar which has claimed at least one curious fly) they're STILL landing on me and buzzing around my head. 

I'm not like Pigpen here, I'm clean, and the perfume I wore yesterday has faded so I just don't know what could be distracting them from the jars o' bait.

The summer before last, we had a veritable biblical plague of flies.  Sadly, the only thing that worked for us is fly strips... they just look so tacky, y'know?

Oh my.  Now I know I make too may puns... I'm doing it subconsciously, without even thinking about it, totally on the fly.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #14499 on: January 14, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »

Oh my.  Now I know I make too may puns... I'm doing it subconsciously, without even thinking about it, totally on the fly.

Careful, that can lead you into a very sticky situation. Don't get trapped by your own wit!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #14500 on: January 14, 2014, 04:07:40 PM »
I have fallen in love with the Dole Chopped Salad blends. We ate salad all week last week, and topped it with the Panera dressing that is also now at my grocery store.

Now...there are NONE of these salads nor the dressing stocked at the store. I am hoping it's because they were wildly popular and a fresh supply is on the way, but it's really bumming me out. (Especially since I stopped at the store on my way to work, hoping to pick up a bag for my lunch. Now I have no lunch.)

Me, too. They had them once, and that was it. I have the horrible suspicion that it was just a test run.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14501 on: January 14, 2014, 04:10:27 PM »

Careful, that can lead you into a very sticky situation. Don't get trapped by your own wit!

Now let's not gum up the works. :)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #14502 on: January 14, 2014, 04:20:56 PM »
If they're still bothering you I have to ask if you are wearing any yellow clothing.  Flying insects -- including the ones that sting -- love yellow.  I learned this at a company picnic many years ago when I was wearing a yellow T-shirt that had a magazine logo on it.  Fortunately I had a white T-shirt in the gym bag I was carrying.

It could also partly be due to body chemistry. For the same reasons that mosquitoes love feasting on some people but avoid others like the plague, insects are more attracted to certain people than others. I'm one of those people. I can never go anywhere in the summer without bugs deciding I must smell fun. :(

Apparently they are attracted to people with low levels of B-vitamins in their blood.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14503 on: January 14, 2014, 05:19:10 PM »
I hate dizzy spells. I have low blood pressure and standing up suddenly can give me a major dizzy spell.

I am currently sitting at work, waiting for my head to stop spinning so I can drive home slowly.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #14504 on: January 14, 2014, 07:35:09 PM »
I hate dizzy spells. I have low blood pressure and standing up suddenly can give me a major dizzy spell.

I am currently sitting at work, waiting for my head to stop spinning so I can drive home slowly.

I somehow contracted vertigo a couple of years ago (they're still not sure what caused it) but I had pretty serious vertigo for several months. I had to take short term disability because I couldn't drive to work. I couldn't even read or watch TV. And then my mom would call, like, "Ohh, I see you didn't go to work again..." like I was sitting around doing nothing. Which I literally was.