Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1733324 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14505 on: January 14, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
The vertigo is a coming and going thing for me. I was able to leave later and get home.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #14506 on: January 14, 2014, 09:41:30 PM »
If they're still bothering you I have to ask if you are wearing any yellow clothing.  Flying insects -- including the ones that sting -- love yellow.  I learned this at a company picnic many years ago when I was wearing a yellow T-shirt that had a magazine logo on it.  Fortunately I had a white T-shirt in the gym bag I was carrying.

It could also partly be due to body chemistry. For the same reasons that mosquitoes love feasting on some people but avoid others like the plague, insects are more attracted to certain people than others. I'm one of those people. I can never go anywhere in the summer without bugs deciding I must smell fun. :(

Apparently they are attracted to people with low levels of B-vitamins in their blood.

That makes sense. I have a problem processing and absorbing B vitamins.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14507 on: January 15, 2014, 09:05:01 AM »
I hit my head getting into my vehicle yesterday.

Twice.

Last night, my back was bothering me, so I went upstairs to my bedroom and noticed I didn't bring my phone with me, which I use as an alarm. I had my iPad, so I set it up as an alarm. Imagine my surprise this morning when DH's alarm went off and it was 45 minutes later than I should have gotten up.

DS was up, but didn't wake me up and he was late to school and missed a mid term. I feel terrible.  :(

menley

« Reply #14508 on: January 15, 2014, 11:26:12 AM »
Am I the only one who is irrationally annoyed at people who share Facebook accounts?

99% of the time, it's the wife of a guy who refuses to get on Facebook, and so she makes her personal account into a joint account. Which Facebook is not set up to do... so she has to do some weird name thing like "GirlnGuy Lastname". And yet she is always the one posting... so it's not really the two of them. In which case, why not make it just yours??

But now I'm getting irritated because two family members (husband and wife) share an account, and both of them post just as frequently as each other. So I'll post a photo, and one of them will click the like button. A little while later, the other will get on and try to "like" the photo as well, but you can't like it twice - that just "unlikes" the photo, so to speak. Then they realize what they've done and like it again. Meanwhile I've gotten several notifications of them liking the same photo over and over and over... and don't get me started on trying to figure out who is commenting when both of them leave several comments on my wall or on photos.

I don't get it. It's a free account. A free account that is clearly meant to be for one person. Why would you NOT get your own account?

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #14509 on: January 15, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »
That would make sense, wouldn't it?

Shalamar

« Reply #14510 on: January 15, 2014, 12:35:20 PM »
That reminds me of when I e-mailed a friend of mine a link to a website that I thought he'd find amusing.  Unbeknownst to me, he and his wife shared an e-mail address (his e-mail address was basically JSmith@hotmail.com, so I had no idea).  His wife read the e-mail, went to the website, and for some reason got very offended by it (it was completely harmless, so I don't know why she got so upset).  Next thing I knew, my friend was all "My wife was totally offended by your e-mail!"  Puzzled, I said "But I didn't send it to her - I sent it to you."  He said "We SHARE an e-mail address, just like you and your husband do."  He was amazed and disbelieving when I said "Actually, my husband and I have separate e-mail addresses."

menley

« Reply #14511 on: January 15, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »
Yeah, I don't get that either. If my husband and I shared e-mail accounts, we'd go insane.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #14512 on: January 15, 2014, 01:00:24 PM »
I don't mind the dual Facebook accounts, although sometimes I find them a little too precious, like  "JaneNJohn Lastname".  I think those kinds of accounts may be against Facebook's TOS, too, but I'm not completely sure.

My husband and I have separate email accounts, but I'm the one who usually checks it.  He tends not to check it that often, so I'll skim the subjects to make sure there's nothing urgent he needs to read.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #14513 on: January 15, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »
I have married friends who share a LiveJournal account, but not only does the software support that better (you don't "like" things there, you comment, and one person can leave several comments to the same post if she wants), they sign all posts and comments with their initials. I don't just see I have a comment from "exampleusername," there's an initial to tell me which of them it's from. And it doesn't identify the account as John*and*Jane Doe, it's a handle they picked, like me using "Tea Drinker" here, which isn't what anyone calls me in other contexts.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Shalamar

« Reply #14514 on: January 15, 2014, 01:58:30 PM »
This sounds a bit silly, but a co-worker is driving me crazy because she keeps saying "oldest" when she means "most recent".  We're currently trying to do a data fix for which it is absolutely vital that we identify the most recent transaction date, so every time she says "we need to fix the oldest transaction", I keep having to interrupt and say "You mean 'most recent', right?"   

(She'll say "Most recent, that's right", and then say "oldest" again the next time she speaks.  Argh!)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #14515 on: January 15, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »
I went to school for massage therapy (realized it wasn't for me a little late in the game, but that's beside the point), and one of the topics that we covered was 'Reiki'.  I won't get into that, but it was pronounced 'ray-key'.  One of my classmates could not say it right.  She either said 'reeky' or 'raykay', no matter how many times she was corrected.  It really turned into a pet peeve of mine, and every time she mispronounced it, I would say in my head, "It's pronounced 'ray-key', you idiot..."

For the record, I would never actually say that to someone!  It just bugged the living heck out of me.

daen

« Reply #14516 on: January 15, 2014, 02:13:32 PM »
This sounds a bit silly, but a co-worker is driving me crazy because she keeps saying "oldest" when she means "most recent".  We're currently trying to do a data fix for which it is absolutely vital that we identify the most recent transaction date, so every time she says "we need to fix the oldest transaction", I keep having to interrupt and say "You mean 'most recent', right?"   

(She'll say "Most recent, that's right", and then say "oldest" again the next time she speaks.  Argh!)

But... words mean things! You can't use a word to convey its exact opposite meaning!

*looks at the newest dictionary definition of "literally" and whimpers*

I mean, I feel your pain, Shalamar.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #14517 on: January 15, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »
When my terminally lazy sister-in-law, who's the type of SAHM who gives SAHMs a bad name, posts things on Facebook like, "What's the weather like outside?" or "Are schools closed?" or "Going shopping so I don't have to go out in the bad storm tomorrow!" Argh. The rest of us hardworking folks have to go outside regardless of poor weather.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #14518 on: January 15, 2014, 06:15:57 PM »
This may be a US-only problem. We live in a rural area with no mail delivery to houses, so we've got a PO Box. For the 15 years we've lived here, I've had packages shipped to work (at several different jobs) because you can't always tell when a company ships UPS and you can't have UPS packages delivered to a PO Box.

Last week, my place of work abruptly announced that we could no longer have personal packages shipped there. It seems my only way around this problem is to obtain a second PO Box at the UPS Store. This is not cheap.  :-\
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14519 on: January 15, 2014, 06:39:51 PM »
When people give you blank looks after you ask them a question.  It always makes me wonder if my question came out in English or in gibberish!

Today, my temp coworker who's already committing PD (see PD thread for that) had her phone start ringing.  After it rang three or four times, I said, "Aren't you going to answer that?".  She said, "What?".  I said, "Your phone is ringing, aren't you going to answer it?".  I got the blankest stare - like she couldn't even comprehend my question, let alone figure out a response!  Finally she said, "Who's calling me?", like I would somehow have access to her caller id to know.  The phone was still ringing after all that (so someone definitely needed to get in touch with someone at our office!) and she eventually picked it up and answered it.  Really though, what is so difficult about the question, "Are you going to answer your phone"?