Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1781305 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14550 on: January 17, 2014, 03:03:27 PM »
Todays pet peeve is...

People who randomly change their minds.

Case in point:

For several months, we have been working to finalize a Better-Stronger-Faster reporting system. (BSF report)
It will be a huge benefit both to us and the folks on the other side of the table.

We have had numerous discussions, samples and feedback sessions.
All we needed was a final sign off before we "go live".

Wednesday, 5 pm - I am on the phone to one of the clients.
He has been seeing copies of the BSF for several months now. We are discussing the most recent BSF report.
Suddenly, he says "I looked at it and it didn't have X, Y and Z so I stopped reading it." (Aaanddd you couldn't tell me this months ago....why?) :o :o :o

The final manager's meeting on the BSF is 9:00 am Friday.

I spend all of Thursday reformatting, compiling and adding X, Y, Z and a couple of prancing ponies. It took me 11 hours, but I was ready for the meeting!

Friday morning, 8:00 am...
My computer is literally still booting up and coworker is at my desk, wanting to go over the BSF.
Yes, it had a couple of data entry errors, but it was only a format sample so it could have waited.
Nope - he wants me to fix it while he stands there and oversees it.  ::)

It's now 8:40 and I have to get it reprinted and ready for the meeting. We are leaving in 5 minutes and I'm kinda stressed!
  >:(

Which is when Uberboss calls (he and I are the ones going to the meeting.) Oh, by the way...the meeting has been moved to Monday morning...  :o  :o  :o

Forehead, meet desk......

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #14551 on: January 17, 2014, 05:29:49 PM »
So, any fun plans for the weekend. White Dragon? >:D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14552 on: January 17, 2014, 05:55:36 PM »
I had the opposite of White Dragon's issue.

I have designed and implemented a method to put information for all the students applying for a certain grad program on a secure web platform that the panel can access, vs the old way of printing every last thing and sending around files, which violates FERPA rules in the US.

I get the list in mid-December, work at top speed to get the files downloaded from the document site, into individual files, then create the individual pages and upload the files to the secure server. 46 students. Completely done other than weekly updates for new documents. Right? Oh, and during this time, the university was closed for 12 days.

No.

Colleague checks and there are 70 more applicants. All of the sudden, the selection panel wants the files available right.then. I am already busy with other priority projects, plus my normal weekly workload, so I am not happy.

I only have 31 more to upload out of the new batch and then the weekly updates. I had several quitting my job fantasies going through my head this week.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14553 on: January 17, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »
Ugh, my middle son does that and we're always telling him "Blow your nose!" or just handing him the tissues.
Sometimes there's nothing in there to blow.  If your nose is clogged because you have an allergy or some other condition that causes the membranes in the nose to swell, blowing won't help. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14554 on: January 17, 2014, 07:55:27 PM »
Ugh, my middle son does that and we're always telling him "Blow your nose!" or just handing him the tissues.
Sometimes there's nothing in there to blow.  If your nose is clogged because you have an allergy or some other condition that causes the membranes in the nose to swell, blowing won't help.

When I get stuffy, I end up with a post nasal drip all the time.  I'll blow my nose as best I can and within a couple of minutes, I'm back to sniffing.  I got told all the time as a kid, 'Blow your nose!'  Always did, always kept sniffing.  So unless my nose is actually running like a tap, blowing it isn't going to help.  Even when it is running like a tap, it doesn't help very much.

I have what some would call an exaggerated sneeze - I've had people tell me I scared them.  That's just the way I sneeze; I have no control over it and I don't embellish it in any way.  I have occasionally held back on a sneeze when in a setting like a funeral or church and have paid for it with severe sinus pain afterwards.  I don't hold back anymore to avoid causing myself pain.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14555 on: January 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM »
I have what some would call an exaggerated sneeze - I've had people tell me I scared them.  That's just the way I sneeze; I have no control over it and I don't embellish it in any way.  I have occasionally held back on a sneeze when in a setting like a funeral or church and have paid for it with severe sinus pain afterwards.  I don't hold back anymore to avoid causing myself pain.
Trying to stifle a sneeze can cause serious problems.  SonIL2 broke a rib trying to stifle a similar kind of sneeze.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #14556 on: January 17, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »
A girl (not a close friend, more friendly aquintance) I know got engaged a couple of weeks ago and she just doesn't understand why people aren't jumping for joy over her news. This is her second engagement in six months, apparently to the love of her life (which she also said about her last fiancee). The guy has 2 ex-wives and at least a couple of ex-fiancees, so comittement doesn't seem to be his strong point. Now we'll hear about nothing but the wedding for probably the next few months, until they get married or break up. I think I may need to find a new place to hang out for a while.

Elisabunny

« Reply #14557 on: January 17, 2014, 09:38:25 PM »

Or blowing just doesn't work.  There is something wrong with my sinuses that the post nasal drip or whatever stays at the base of my sinuses where it won't drain and can't be blown.  I have learned to do sort of a silent snort, but as a kid I was always being told to just blow.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14558 on: January 17, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »

Or blowing just doesn't work.  There is something wrong with my sinuses that the post nasal drip or whatever stays at the base of my sinuses where it won't drain and can't be blown.  I have learned to do sort of a silent snort, but as a kid I was always being told to just blow.

I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one!  My parents always accused me of not learning how to blow my nose.  Hmmmm... you guys were the ones teaching me; what does that say about you?   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #14559 on: January 17, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »
This article. Oh, this article.

I get that most journalists don't know much about advanced mathematics. That is fine, I am no great writer. But please don't butcher it and then give a lame half excuse.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/01/17/infinite_series_when_the_sum_of_all_positive_integers_is_a_small_negative.html

I originally wrote that the series 1+2+3+4+5... converges, but that's not strictly true; it has a sum of -1/12 but by definition doesn't converge to that.

Ok, bear with me:

1- No, that infinite series does not converge. Saying that it does isn't a matter of "not strictly true" but of "very, very wrong". A convergent series will tend to a certain number and get closer and closer to it as the number of terms approach infinity. It is pretty obvious that those numbers don't tend to anything, except to keep growing, growing and growing. You, sir, got it wrong. Be brave and say so, instead of giving a pathetic half apology.

2- It does not have a sum of -1/12. Its sum is also infinite. However, its Cesaro sum (an interesting mathematical tool that is not an algebraic sum) is -1/12 (perhaps, I haven't checked if it is Cesaro convergent and I have no wish to). If the author had simply taken the time to look up infinite sums on wikipedia, he would have found this out.

3- Converging to something does not imply that the sum converges to that same number.

And that is just from the correction note the author later made. The entire article is bad. Ironically, it is from a column entitled "Bad Astronomy".

Ok, I feel better now :)

Ereine

« Reply #14560 on: January 18, 2014, 12:19:59 AM »
Phil Plait is actually an astronomer, not a journalist.

My annoyance is that there seems to be too little time for everything. I have to work a little this weekend and am meeting a friend tomorrow and want to play a computer game I haven't had time for and work on a painting and knit a new hat (after I found out the hard way that the old one wasn't washable) and continue an embroidery project and go to the library and also just rest and be really lazy because next weekend will be busy. I don't think that there's enough hours for all of that.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #14561 on: January 18, 2014, 12:33:55 AM »
So, any fun plans for the weekend. White Dragon? >:D

I am considering alcohol.  :)

Nah, not really. But I'm thinking about finding a nice, simple task at home that I can finish to my satisfaction, on my own terms!  ;D ;D

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14562 on: January 18, 2014, 11:41:46 AM »

I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one!  My parents always accused me of not learning how to blow my nose.  Hmmmm... you guys were the ones teaching me; what does that say about you?   :)

I have the same problem. Also when I do blow my nose, I have to honk. Otherwise, the gunk stays put. I've had people comment on it but sorry, I can't help it.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14563 on: January 19, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »
When sources that should no better get things wrong.

Last night I watched 'The Hot Rock' on TV.  I wanted to see it because pivotal scenes were filmed literally steps from where I worked for 20 years.  At one point, the police run down an 'emergency stairwell'.  It isn't a stairwell.  It's the entrance to my old office.

Before the show, there's a short segment on the background of the movie.  This time, the commentator made a point of mentioning how the entire movie had been shot in Manhattan. 

Excuse me? The jewel heist takes up a good portion of the movie and it was filmed in Brooklyn. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #14564 on: January 19, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »

Same here  then in my 30's I found out at some point I broke my nose (probably climbing/falling out of my crib with barshoes on). One side almost completely blocked and the other has severe scaring/swelling from repeated infections.

I can get an asthma/allergy cough so powerful it can knock me off my feet. Often after a coughing fit I make a noise because I'm choking.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future