Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1740607 times)

Allyson

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14565 on: January 19, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »
The are times when I am annoyed by people's sneezes/sniffing etc, but I'm not annoyed at *them* specifically, just the situation. Heck, I can sneeze an embarrassing number of times in a row!

On the matter of people getting mad when you have a different opinion--the thing I have gotten the most flack for by fans was something I did *like* but didn't love 'enough'--Firefly. I liked the show, but the fans are pretty over the top about it.  It's been 10 years! It was good, but it wasn't the only awesome thing to ever happen!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14566 on: January 19, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »
People who make broad assumptions about things they know nothing about.  My boss doesn't read much, and definitely doesn't read fiction - she's mentioned liking Malcolm Gladwell, and I know she reads a lot of industry related stuff, but that's about it.  The other day I had an omnibus edition of Empire from the Ashes by David Weber with me at work, and she saw it when I came back from lunch.  In this incredibly loud and penetrating voice, she said, "Empire from the ASHES?  Is that one of those...STAR WARS books or something?"  I said, "No, it's not related to Star Wars at all, it's just a series by an author that I really like".  She replied, "Are you sure?  Cause there's like STARS on the cover and SHIPS, so it seems like it should be about that STARS WARS stuff.  Or maybe?  Yeah, it must be about Star Trek instead!".  ???  Yes, because all science fiction is automatically related to Star Wars or Star Trek. 

Back to bringing the Kindle to work, I guess.  At least then they can't see what I'm reading.  Although one guy has already given me a head-banging moment when he couldn't understand that an e-reader is not a tablet.  He said to me, "Look at you with all your technology; a phone and a tablet!  That's some expensive stuff!".  When I told him it wasn't a tablet, it was a Kindle, he said, "it's not a tablet?  But it looks like a tablet!"  I told him, nope, it's an ereader made by Amazon, called a Kindle.  "It's not a tablet?".  Sigh...is reading so foreign anymore?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14567 on: January 19, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »
How about people who are shocked that anyone likes to read for pleasure?  On another forum someone decided that "joy readers" have no lives and are hopelessly out of date.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #14568 on: January 19, 2014, 09:30:23 PM »
How about people who are shocked that anyone likes to read for pleasure?  On another forum someone decided that "joy readers" have no lives and are hopelessly out of date.

My sister and some cousins don't get reading for pleasure on a basic level - because for them reading is painful (dyslexics but not diagnosed until university). They all still taught their kids that reading is wonderful. For Sis that was a double effort because Loren is also dyslexic, and struggled from K - 2. She still gets some SPED help (is also GT), but today was sitting in the lawn chair with a big glass of ice water reading a Big Nate book.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14569 on: January 19, 2014, 09:36:05 PM »
I would have been so happy if Kindles existed in the days I was in school. Mostly in middle school, that is, as I was a voracious reader and always got mocked on the titles of whatever I was reading.  Either it was something other people read when they were younger and I was just getting around to it, like "The Little Princess" and I got mocked for reading something below my grade level.  Or if it was something more advanced I heard "OOoh look who's trying to look smart now!"  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14570 on: January 19, 2014, 09:54:40 PM »
I would have been so happy if Kindles existed in the days I was in school. Mostly in middle school, that is, as I was a voracious reader and always got mocked on the titles of whatever I was reading.  Either it was something other people read when they were younger and I was just getting around to it, like "The Little Princess" and I got mocked for reading something below my grade level.  Or if it was something more advanced I heard "OOoh look who's trying to look smart now!"  ::)
More than likely the little [persons of illegitimate birth] would have stolen and/or broken it.  I know that the ones I went to school with would have.

And unfortunately, e-readers don't help with the person who is trying to save you from the booooooredom of reading by initiating a conversation, when all you want to do is for them to go away and let you read!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #14571 on: January 19, 2014, 11:53:32 PM »
The woman who volunteers to direct my church choir is a firm believer that slower music is more meaningful, therefore every single song must be sung slowly. It doesn't matter what the meter says: 120, 100, 75 beats per minute, she won't go any faster than 60 beats per minute. From my perspective, it makes every song sound like a dirge. The other choir members point out the meter, have even brought metronomes, but no dice, we sing slowly. Sometimes the congregation starts to speed up naturally and she gets really irritated and starts dramatically conducting to slow us all down again. Since I'm often the soloist, and have a distinctive look, strangers will walk up to me outside of church to talk about our music and often ask why we sing so slowly.

Seriously, try singing "Go Tell It On The Mountain" at half speed and get back to me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:55:06 PM by mbbored »

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #14572 on: January 20, 2014, 12:13:41 AM »
The woman who volunteers to direct my church choir is a firm believer that slower music is more meaningful, therefore every single song must be sung slowly. It doesn't matter what the meter says: 120, 100, 75 beats per minute, she won't go any faster than 60 beats per minute. From my perspective, it makes every song sound like a dirge. The other choir members point out the meter, have even brought metronomes, but no dice, we sing slowly. Sometimes the congregation starts to speed up naturally and she gets really irritated and starts dramatically conducting to slow us all down again. Since I'm often the soloist, and have a distinctive look, strangers will walk up to me outside of church to talk about our music and often ask why we sing so slowly.

Seriously, try singing "Go Tell It On The Mountain" at half speed and get back to me.

I went to a service where the organist sped everything up and didn't really take into account whether there were whole/half notes in the music.  Every note was the exact same length.  It was a little odd.  The music was also excessively loud, but that may have just been an acoustics problem in the church.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14573 on: January 20, 2014, 12:15:02 AM »

That woman seriously needs a "come to diety" meeting with SOMEONE

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #14574 on: January 20, 2014, 02:07:26 AM »

The pastor is literally tone deaf and doesn't seem to have much since of rhythm, but really enjoys the music she picks, so he's out. Otherwise, who's going to stop a woman who's been volunteering for a decade to lead the music at just one service a week?

PeterM

« Reply #14575 on: January 20, 2014, 02:41:52 AM »
Last night I watched 'The Hot Rock' on TV.  I wanted to see it because pivotal scenes were filmed literally steps from where I worked for 20 years.  At one point, the police run down an 'emergency stairwell'.  It isn't a stairwell.  It's the entrance to my old office.

The book by Donald Westlake is well worth tracking down. The end of the movie isn't the end of the book. In the book Our Heroes have to steal the jewel a couple more times after they get it out of the bank, and like many books it has many more nifty details than they could ever fit into a movie.

The whole series of Dortmunder books makes for great reading. Another early book, Bank Shot, was turned into a movie with George C Scott. Dortmunder and his crew want to rob a bank, but to do that they have to steal the bank. As in, the entire bank. The plan works perfectly. At first. Great story.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14576 on: January 20, 2014, 08:06:41 AM »

The pastor is literally tone deaf and doesn't seem to have much since of rhythm, but really enjoys the music she picks, so he's out. Otherwise, who's going to stop a woman who's been volunteering for a decade to lead the music at just one service a week?

Elect someone to mention that hymns are the products of centuries of religious tradition, and is she *really* trying to rewrite the way it's always been done?  If so, suggest the Bible and a red pen.  ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14577 on: January 20, 2014, 09:21:42 AM »
Festival attendees that do not bother to show up early to a particular event, but squeeze their way in and stand in front of seated people that were there first.

Even more annoying? Hitting people with your extraneous belongings because you want to get the perfect shot. Ugh.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #14578 on: January 20, 2014, 11:12:56 AM »
People listening to MP3 players on the bus so loudly that it's all you can hear.  That and people having incredibly loud phone conversations so that the whole bus can hear exactly what is going on.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't get the bus home.  I'm tired and crabby at the end of a day at work and the tiniest irritations can be enough to have me gritting my teeth all the way home.  No matter how irritated I am, however, I keep my mouth zipped shut. It's nobody else's fault that I'm tired and crabby, I'm sure they're not going out of their way to annoy me, although some days it feels like that!!!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14579 on: January 20, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »

MIL is that way.  To her, reading is good so long as hard information is provided. Newspapers are good. Anything billed as non-fiction is good no matter how awful or biased it may be.

Fiction is a waste of time.  It doesn't matter if it's a trashy romance novel, Isaac Asimov or Umberto Eco.  To her, they're all the same and they're the equivalent of mental chicken nuggets.