Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1741508 times)

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14580 on: January 20, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
How about people who are shocked that anyone likes to read for pleasure?  On another forum someone decided that "joy readers" have no lives and are hopelessly out of date.

MIL is that way.  To her, reading is good so long as hard information is provided. Newspapers are good. Anything billed as non-fiction is good no matter how awful or biased it may be.

Fiction is a waste of time.  It doesn't matter if it's a trashy romance novel, Isaac Asimov or Umberto Eco.  To her, they're all the same and they're the equivalent of mental chicken nuggets.

My mother will read fiction, but nothing associated with anything "fantastic", ever (unless it's "established" disbelief, like Disney princesses.) Same for TV and movies. She is a middle school teacher and refused to read Bridge to Terabithia because she was just sure it was one of those "fantasy" books. If she thinks a movie is remotely anime, it's out the door. My daughter loves Hayao Miyazaki movies, but my mom thinks they are just stupid and rolls her eyes when DD suggests they watch Totoro. Nope, we have to watch falsetto Snow White over and over again.

I love my e-reader. I work for a publishing company so maybe not good to say, lol. But I love that I can read anything I want without people commenting on the cover/title/genre/etc. I'm also a big re-reader and just hate when people say, "You're reading that again??" With e-readers, they have no idea.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

kckgirl

« Reply #14581 on: January 20, 2014, 01:27:03 PM »
How about people who are shocked that anyone likes to read for pleasure?  On another forum someone decided that "joy readers" have no lives and are hopelessly out of date.

MIL is that way.  To her, reading is good so long as hard information is provided. Newspapers are good. Anything billed as non-fiction is good no matter how awful or biased it may be.

Fiction is a waste of time.  It doesn't matter if it's a trashy romance novel, Isaac Asimov or Umberto Eco.  To her, they're all the same and they're the equivalent of mental chicken nuggets.

I have a friend like that. She won't read for pure pleasure; she must learn something or it's a waste of her time. I feel sorry for her, because she's missed out on some wonderful books, but to each her own.
Maryland

CuriousParty

« Reply #14582 on: January 20, 2014, 01:43:41 PM »
I have heard the dirge version of Go Tell It On The Mountain. Your choir director must have a friend in Maryland. It is indeed awful.

Re: the reading: once I accidentally gave a family member a book that she had already read (knew she liked the author, took a guess). We chatted a bit about how she enjoyed it, but no longer had her copy so I said "Oh, good, well I guess you can read it again now!" To which she replied: "Why would I do that?" She wasn't being snarky, and she didn't mean "This book isn't worth a second read" either. She meant, wholeheartedly, "Who would read a book they had already read ? Ever?"

I....um....okay. I just mentally moved her from the "Big Reader" to "Reads" category and went on my merry way.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:49:17 PM by CuriousParty »

cabbageweevil

« Reply #14583 on: January 20, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »
Last night I watched 'The Hot Rock' on TV.  I wanted to see it because pivotal scenes were filmed literally steps from where I worked for 20 years.  At one point, the police run down an 'emergency stairwell'.  It isn't a stairwell.  It's the entrance to my old office.

The book by Donald Westlake is well worth tracking down. The end of the movie isn't the end of the book. In the book Our Heroes have to steal the jewel a couple more times after they get it out of the bank, and like many books it has many more nifty details than they could ever fit into a movie.

Is the film the one with the line, spoken by the thieves' "customer" who is getting exasperated at their bungling: "I've heard about habitual criminals, but this is something new -- a habitual crime." ?  Whichever the film: the one including that, I saw long ago, and loved it -- particularly that bit.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14584 on: January 20, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
I have heard the dirge version of Go Tell It On The Mountain. Your choir director must have a friend in Maryland. It is indeed awful.

Re: the reading: once I accidentally gave a family member a book that she had already read (knew she liked the author, took a guess). We chatted a bit about how she enjoyed it, but no longer had her copy so I said "Oh, good, well I guess you can read it again now!" To which she replied: "Why would I do that?" She wasn't being snarky, and she didn't mean "This book isn't owe a second read" either. She meant, wholeheartedly, "Who would read a book they had already read ? Ever?"

I....um....okay. I just mentally moved her from the "Big Reader" to "Reads" category and went on my merry way.

Makes me think of people I've come across who say they don't watch movies more than once, even if they like them...and yet have a few DVD's.  What's the point?  I can see buying a DVD if you can't find it to rent, but if you're not one who will watch it more than once, donate or take it to a place that will buy your old movies from you and resell them at a discount.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hjaye

« Reply #14585 on: January 20, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »

I have a friend like that. She won't read for pure pleasure; she must learn something or it's a waste of her time. I feel sorry for her, because she's missed out on some wonderful books, but to each her own.

What she fails to realize is that even if a story is fiction, a good writer will encompass real facts and events into the story so you can actually learn something while reading a fictional story.

Some of my favorite authors engage in telling stories of historical fiction.  They will even have a bit of an epilogue in the back of the book explaining their research and where they deviated from the facts and truth of history.

W.E.B Griffin,  is one author I like, and Ken Follett is another.  I haven't really gotten into any Tom Clancy novels, but I believe he does the same thing.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14586 on: January 20, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
Leaky laundry detergent containers.  A couple weeks ago DH was doing the shopping and I asked him to get laundry detergent. He came home with the huge ones with the spigot on the side and a cup covering the spigot. I HATE those kinds because they're messy and are always leaky! I store them on the shelf so the spigot at least can't drip on the floor but man I'd much rather have a bottle that just pours into the lid!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14587 on: January 20, 2014, 07:56:59 PM »

Re: the reading: once I accidentally gave a family member a book that she had already read (knew she liked the author, took a guess). We chatted a bit about how she enjoyed it, but no longer had her copy so I said "Oh, good, well I guess you can read it again now!" To which she replied: "Why would I do that?" She wasn't being snarky, and she didn't mean "This book isn't worth a second read" either. She meant, wholeheartedly, "Who would read a book they had already read ? Ever?"

In order for me to quiet my brain enough for sleep, I have to read. Only, it can't be something new. It has to be something I am re-reading. I have a few different series I read over and over.

It hurts my brain that someone wouldn't re-read a book, in the same way as someone not re-watching a movie or eating a meal they have enjoyed before.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14588 on: January 20, 2014, 08:16:39 PM »
I love re-reading books, especially when it's something I haven't read through in a while.  Recently I re-read "Order of the Phoenix" and found myself thinking "Did I even read this the first time around? I forgot all this happened!"

Sometimes it can be like reading a book for the first time, if enough time passes between readings.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14589 on: January 20, 2014, 09:23:37 PM »

DH is like that.  He says "I already know what happens, so why bother?"  I reread to enjoy the craftsmanship that went into writing.  And on the reread, I ALWAYS notice lots of wonderful things that my eyes slid over the first time in my hurry to find out what happens.  Books I really, REALLY like may get reread immediately, even.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14590 on: January 20, 2014, 09:26:59 PM »
Leaky laundry detergent containers.  A couple weeks ago DH was doing the shopping and I asked him to get laundry detergent. He came home with the huge ones with the spigot on the side and a cup covering the spigot. I HATE those kinds because they're messy and are always leaky! I store them on the shelf so the spigot at least can't drip on the floor but man I'd much rather have a bottle that just pours into the lid!
I like the ones with the spigot.  They're so huge that it's difficult to pour from them, so they go on a shelf right above the washing machine.  Once the clothes are loaded in the machine, all you have to do is blurp the spigot and close the lid.  Hm, I guess you can't do that with a front-loader, can you?
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #14591 on: January 20, 2014, 09:30:21 PM »
The woman who volunteers to direct my church choir is a firm believer that slower music is more meaningful, therefore every single song must be sung slowly. It doesn't matter what the meter says: 120, 100, 75 beats per minute, she won't go any faster than 60 beats per minute. From my perspective, it makes every song sound like a dirge. The other choir members point out the meter, have even brought metronomes, but no dice, we sing slowly. Sometimes the congregation starts to speed up naturally and she gets really irritated and starts dramatically conducting to slow us all down again. Since I'm often the soloist, and have a distinctive look, strangers will walk up to me outside of church to talk about our music and often ask why we sing so slowly.

Seriously, try singing "Go Tell It On The Mountain" at half speed and get back to me.

That woman seriously needs a "come to diety" meeting with SOMEONE

As someone who's gone through training to get a church music degree, mbbored's church music director really gets on my nerves. Yes, I have certain opinions on how certain types of church music should go. However, they're based on performance practice and the original ideas for the marriage of tune and text. If it's an anthem, I go off what's on the pages. The only meaningfulness I would get out of singing, say, "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" at 60 BPM is how meaningfully I would like to climb the walls from having to sing that slow.

It's also disrespectful, IMO, to the composer to drastically alter the piece that way. They picked that tempo so that the singers wouldn't wheeze and the text would be carried properly. POD to PastryGoddess

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14592 on: January 20, 2014, 09:44:07 PM »

I switched to the little packs (All Free & Clear)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #14593 on: January 20, 2014, 11:07:27 PM »

I switched to the little packs (All Free & Clear)

That's what we use! That detergent, especially in pod form, is great.  :D
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #14594 on: January 21, 2014, 12:14:15 AM »
The woman who volunteers to direct my church choir is a firm believer that slower music is more meaningful, therefore every single song must be sung slowly. It doesn't matter what the meter says: 120, 100, 75 beats per minute, she won't go any faster than 60 beats per minute. From my perspective, it makes every song sound like a dirge. The other choir members point out the meter, have even brought metronomes, but no dice, we sing slowly. Sometimes the congregation starts to speed up naturally and she gets really irritated and starts dramatically conducting to slow us all down again. Since I'm often the soloist, and have a distinctive look, strangers will walk up to me outside of church to talk about our music and often ask why we sing so slowly.

Seriously, try singing "Go Tell It On The Mountain" at half speed and get back to me.

That woman seriously needs a "come to diety" meeting with SOMEONE

As someone who's gone through training to get a church music degree, mbbored's church music director really gets on my nerves. Yes, I have certain opinions on how certain types of church music should go. However, they're based on performance practice and the original ideas for the marriage of tune and text. If it's an anthem, I go off what's on the pages. The only meaningfulness I would get out of singing, say, "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" at 60 BPM is how meaningfully I would like to climb the walls from having to sing that slow.

It's also disrespectful, IMO, to the composer to drastically alter the piece that way. They picked that tempo so that the singers wouldn't wheeze and the text would be carried properly. POD to PastryGoddess

Yes! This is a huge part of my irritation! It's partly her arrogance that she, a woman with no formal music training, knows better than the composer and sometimes centuries of musical tradition how music should be performed.