Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1619708 times)

Carotte

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14595 on: January 21, 2014, 07:29:01 AM »
On the re-reading of books, there's books I've had to re-read years later to make new connextions and understand them better.
Some Discworld books by Pratchett are even more enjoyable once you have some Shakespear under your belt.
Reading Animal Farm at 11 without having covered much in world history just make it a book about animals that can think.
And so on.
There's a few I've read a good dozen times, I still can't finish Flower for Algernon (by Daniel Keyes) on public transports, I still tear up.

o_gal

« Reply #14596 on: January 21, 2014, 07:34:27 AM »
It's also disrespectful, IMO, to the composer to drastically alter the piece that way. They picked that tempo so that the singers wouldn't wheeze and the text would be carried properly. POD to PastryGoddess

Yes, all of the above. But then there's the other end of the spectrum - people who want to speed up music. I'm currently waiting to see if the director of our upcoming handbell festival is going to realize that the name of the piece is "The Washington Post March". John Phillips Sousa wrote marches, not runs. I hate it when people think that by automatically speeding something up, you make it exciting! Dramatic! Full of energy!

Shalamar

« Reply #14597 on: January 21, 2014, 10:46:51 AM »
It also drives me nuts when people say "Why would I read the book?   I've already seen the movie." 

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #14598 on: January 21, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »
It's also disrespectful, IMO, to the composer to drastically alter the piece that way. They picked that tempo so that the singers wouldn't wheeze and the text would be carried properly. POD to PastryGoddess

Yes, all of the above. But then there's the other end of the spectrum - people who want to speed up music. I'm currently waiting to see if the director of our upcoming handbell festival is going to realize that the name of the piece is "The Washington Post March". John Phillips Sousa wrote marches, not runs. I hate it when people think that by automatically speeding something up, you make it exciting! Dramatic! Full of energy!

This is also true. I believe that there is room for artistic freedom in performances, but there's freedom and then going outside the bounds of good sense.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #14599 on: January 21, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
I still suffer from Post Traumatic Sousa Disorder. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14600 on: January 21, 2014, 03:51:39 PM »
I always think of Prof. Harold Hill (Music Man) when I hear the name Sousa since he mentions him in the lead up to 76 Trombones.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14601 on: January 23, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »
I was reminded of something that drives me up the wall.  First off, I have mild ADD.  I've learned to deal with it and don't take medication cause I just don't feel I really need it and have had bad experiences with it in the past.  But I can easily lose my train of thought, so being interrupted makes me really annoyed.

In the "Workplace personalities" I read of someone who claimed discrimination at every turn and it reminded me of someone I knew in college who would jokingly interject "racist!" anytime someone used the word "Black" even if they were describing a pair of pants or how they took their coffee.  While I knew the guy was joking it still drove me up the wall when he'd do this to me.  I'd be talking about something and use the word "black" and he'd interject "racist!" and while it was just a one word interjection it could derail my whole train of thought while he sat there smugly thinking he was so funny.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14602 on: January 23, 2014, 09:37:16 AM »
Toilets.   Specifically toilets that are so tall my feet don't touch the ground,  even in heels.   I feel like a little kid. I'm a bit on the short side,  but  not exceptionally so  (5'4", that's fairly average height for a woman IMO).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14603 on: January 23, 2014, 11:22:24 AM »
I still suffer from Post Traumatic Sousa Disorder.

I suffer from that as well but, mine is of a slightly different sort.

One 4th of July, we were driving to Chicago for the weekend with SIL.  To get us into the 'spirit' of the holiday, she played marches in the car.  Nothing but marches for four solid hours!  :o

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #14604 on: January 23, 2014, 11:44:04 AM »
Toilets.   Specifically toilets that are so tall my feet don't touch the ground,  even in heels.   I feel like a little kid. I'm a bit on the short side,  but  not exceptionally so  (5'4", that's fairly average height for a woman IMO).

I've had to replace both toilets in my house in the last year and the newer models are taller than my 40-year-old original models. I feel like a little kid when my toes barely touch the ground.

Betelnut

« Reply #14605 on: January 23, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
Two things that happened early in the morning today:

A fire alarm going off for no reason.  Of course, in the middle of the night.  Not beep, beep, either, but the alarm.  No other alarm was going, not smell of smoke or sign of fire.  It is not a carbon monoxide detector.  I had to get a stepladder and take it down.

My daughter, refusing to get up and ready this morning.  Four days of snow days and a holiday and late starts have gotten her off schedule and she refused to get ready.  Locked herself in her room even.  (That door no longer has a doorknob.  I bribed her with bacon and took it off while she chomped.)

Kids and alarms--not a great beginning to the day!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14606 on: January 23, 2014, 02:43:31 PM »

I've had to replace both toilets in my house in the last year and the newer models are taller than my 40-year-old original models. I feel like a little kid when my toes barely touch the ground.

The one in my mom's house in the bathroom I use. Mom put one of those risers on for her since its easier for her to transfer from ehr wheelchair to a higher seat. which is fine, but she can't FIT in that bathroom, and whenever I sit on it, my feet dangle. I'm seriously considering asking her to take it off.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14607 on: January 23, 2014, 07:54:08 PM »

I seriously ended up getting a little step stool for my bathroom.  My old ones were shorter by maybe 3-4".  I'm still totally screwed if it's a public restroom though.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #14608 on: January 23, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »
The volunteer organization I am a part of has monthly meetings and a message board we all use to communicate. One of the volunteers is a bit put out (and seems a little bipolar) toward one of our board members, and from time to time will post very pointed criticisms, both on our message board and on our Facebook page (like, "Why wasn't that flyer updated??? How are people supposed to know when things are??")

Today she posted in a thread in the message board about an activity that's going on this weekend. At first she asked for clarification on what the event was. The board member replied. The volunteer snippily replied that she had NO idea what we were talking about, hadn't known anything about this, if only the secretary (not the board member she has a beef with) would send out the minutes like he is supposed to, she would come to the meeting but it it SOO FAR. (Not any farther than my own drive would be, and I've made ever meeting.)

We are a small, all-volunteer org, and everyone has full time jobs that are unrelated to the organization. If you don't like how the volunteers are doing things, then by all means step up! We just had board member reelections recently. Only about 9 of the couple dozen in-and-out volunteers showed up to vote, even with the pretty regular reminders of the importance of showing up to vote. (And no, complaining volunteer didn't show up to that one, nor did she send her votes by proxy, which was an option.)

Tea Drinker

« Reply #14609 on: January 23, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
I was reminded of something that drives me up the wall.  First off, I have mild ADD.  I've learned to deal with it and don't take medication cause I just don't feel I really need it and have had bad experiences with it in the past.  But I can easily lose my train of thought, so being interrupted makes me really annoyed.

In the "Workplace personalities" I read of someone who claimed discrimination at every turn and it reminded me of someone I knew in college who would jokingly interject "racist!" anytime someone used the word "Black" even if they were describing a pair of pants or how they took their coffee.  While I knew the guy was joking it still drove me up the wall when he'd do this to me.  I'd be talking about something and use the word "black" and he'd interject "racist!" and while it was just a one word interjection it could derail my whole train of thought while he sat there smugly thinking he was so funny.  ::)

That's the sort of person for whom a remark like "that might have been funny the first" was made.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.