Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1296092 times)

CrochetFanatic

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14610 on: January 24, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »
Toaster Strudels that come out of the toaster piping hot, but the filling is cold when I bite into them.  I hate that.  *glares at chilly pastry*

Shalamar

« Reply #14611 on: January 24, 2014, 12:54:46 PM »
People who come up behind me while I'm working in my cubicle and stand there silently until I notice them.  I'm sure that this grey hair I've got is due to the number of times I've yelped in fright when I realize that someone is standing right behind me.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14612 on: January 24, 2014, 02:06:39 PM »
I know M is burned out about work.  These past few months have been terrible, I know.  But when we talk on breaks, it always comes down to being shut down.  Background:  M works in what I call a Vital Industry... the work has to get done, no matter what, because some things *can't* be brushed aside if they don't get done.  For months, 12 hour days were not at all uncommon... some days were 15 hours.  That would burn anybody out.  However, after the holidays things calmed down (as I actually predicted they would), and days have gotten better.  Then came the snowstorm in the northeast, and they sent people home early the day it hit.  Because of that, there's a backlog, and people have to work this weekend, mandatory.  End background.

I get that M is frustrated with this, who wouldn't be?  But whenever I try to ask M how things are going (just so I can have any information at all), I get "well, they're trying to work us to death, so..." or "well, we have to come in at (start time -2 hours) on Saturday because they're doing their best to make us miserable..."  ARGH.  I am *beyond* frustrated with this.  I feel like there's absolutely nothing I can say, so generally our talks consist of me asking M a few questions, getting these completely hyperbolic answers, and me sitting in silence for the rest of the call because I *literally* don't know what to say.  I tried explaining the situation ("Because of the nature of the industry, the work *has* to get done.  The storm is to blame, not the company, unless they have a Weather Dominator and are using it to deliberately screw up their distribution!"), but still it persists.

Now M is acting like the work is going to be like this for the next few months, despite (as I said) it having been easier recently.  Well, yes, it will be like this.... if the worst storm of the year hits each and every week!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14613 on: January 24, 2014, 02:07:04 PM »
I have had a chronic bad back for 15+ years.

Last Sunday, I threw my back out, and was limping and lopsided all week. I went to a massage therapist Saturday, and it helped some. Tuesday morning, I tripped getting into the tub and felt that I had done some damage. It was worse. By Wednesday, nearly all my co-workers were asking if I had seen a doctor.

I went to a chiropractor Thursday after work, and found I have a sprained back. Because of the treatment, I am a little straighter, but am using a walking stick to help myself.

Now I am getting questions about the stick.  ::)

Three more hours until the weekend!

Elisabunny

« Reply #14614 on: January 24, 2014, 02:56:38 PM »
Toaster Strudels that come out of the toaster piping hot, but the filling is cold when I bite into them.  I hate that.  *glares at chilly pastry*

I agree.  I've taken to leaving them in the hot toaster for a while after they're "done."  My kids put them in the microwave first for a few seconds.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14615 on: January 24, 2014, 03:01:39 PM »
I fully realize that two year olds have little to no concept of time, but oh man it's annoying when the piratebabe's begging me for "Momo juice!" (Elmo Juice- a fruit punch so dubbed because it has Elmo's mug on the label) every two seconds and whines if he's not getting it right this very second cause mama's busy.

Snow days.  Boy they take on a whole new meaning as a parent!  I am so glad that yesterday was a delayed opening and they had a full day today.  I love my kids but I really love my routine too and might have pulled out my hair if they'd had any more time off.  As it was they had Monday off due to MLK jr day, Tuesday off because of...teacher things, I suppose, and Wednesday was for  the snow. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Adelaide

« Reply #14616 on: January 25, 2014, 01:46:12 AM »
The other day I ordered food online from a restaurant popular with the people in my building and said I'd pay in cash. I got a call from the place (who usually calls when they're about 5 minutes away) and was pleasantly surprised to find a delivery man already there. I said "[Name of Restaurant]?" and he said yes, and I handed him a $20 and a $5. He looked confused for a minute, stared down at the cash, and then took off.  I looked down at the bag and realized that it was someone else's order, and there was a big fat "CUSTOMER HAS PAID. DO NOT ACCEPT PAYMENT" sticker on the receipt, and I had to run outside and yell at the guy to chase him down.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #14617 on: January 25, 2014, 07:24:03 AM »
The other day I ordered food online from a restaurant popular with the people in my building and said I'd pay in cash. I got a call from the place (who usually calls when they're about 5 minutes away) and was pleasantly surprised to find a delivery man already there. I said "[Name of Restaurant]?" and he said yes, and I handed him a $20 and a $5. He looked confused for a minute, stared down at the cash, and then took off.  I looked down at the bag and realized that it was someone else's order, and there was a big fat "CUSTOMER HAS PAID. DO NOT ACCEPT PAYMENT" sticker on the receipt, and I had to run outside and yell at the guy to chase him down.

Did you turn him in to the business?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #14618 on: January 25, 2014, 07:26:37 AM »
My engagement ring to wear to work (ie cheap and solid) came in the mail yesterday, finally! It's the wrong size. I'm severely disappointed. What's driving me up the wall, though, is that it already took 2 weeks to get here and will be another two weeks before I get the right size back. Why does shipping take so long on a $13 ring?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Adelaide

« Reply #14619 on: January 25, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »

Did you turn him in to the business?

I didn't. I think his poor grasp of English may have had something to do with it but I'm not sure. I just handed him the food back and said "This isn't mine" and he handed me the cash back and apologized.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14620 on: January 26, 2014, 08:28:23 AM »
9 days ago I purchase a 33 oz container of Fancy cashews and a 52 oz container of peanuts.  The peanuts I usually use for cooking things like peanut chicken as I don't like just to eat peanuts plain out of the jar.  On the other hand I love cashews.

I have a seriously mad hankering for cashews right now, just went to get a handful and the container is GONE.  My DH ate every last one of them.  I am NOT happy right now.  He thinks I'm being silly, but seriously, he ate all of them and somehow I'm the one being unreasonable.  I don't freaking think so!  Well I can tell y'all this, there will not be a cashew crossing this threshold again.  I'll be damned if I am going to spend that kind of money on my favorite guilty pleasure snack food and not get even one dingdangity handful.

It should also be noted that he likes peanuts plain and yet there is a nearly full container of those.  There was some taken out of them and then I took out about a 1/2 cup to make chicken last night.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14621 on: January 26, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
Are you able to lock up an area at your desk at work?  If so, buy another container and lock it up in your desk.  Then you can have a handful when you want them.  I usually have a handful of nuts as my morning snack.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14622 on: January 26, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
Are you able to lock up an area at your desk at work?  If so, buy another container and lock it up in your desk.  Then you can have a handful when you want them.  I usually have a handful of nuts as my morning snack.

I do keep a container at work and that works great on days I have to work, not so much on the weekends when I am off.  FTR, the container I've had at work, I've had for nearly 2 months. I am still not the only one eating out of it as my cube mates have some every once in awhile.

I settled for almonds, but it's just not the same <sigh>  :(.

I told him, under no uncertain terms, he is replacing them and they are only for me.  Cashews are expensive and it is absolutely ridiculous that I didn't get even one dingdangity serving of them.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #14623 on: January 26, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »

I do keep a container at work and that works great on days I have to work, not so much on the weekends when I am off.  FTR, the container I've had at work, I've had for nearly 2 months. I am still not the only one eating out of it as my cube mates have some every once in awhile.

I settled for almonds, but it's just not the same <sigh>  :(.

I told him, under no uncertain terms, he is replacing them and they are only for me.  Cashews are expensive and it is absolutely ridiculous that I didn't get even one dingdangity serving of them.

I'd be ticked too, Dazi! If someone called me unreasonable when I got upset that they ate food I paid for in order for me to (mostly) eat, I would be livid.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Library Dragon

« Reply #14624 on: January 26, 2014, 04:39:36 PM »
It's DH's situation. People trying to control his shoe choice. Okay, it bugs me too.

I've commented elsewhere that he usually wears his Birkenstock sandals year round. It's been so cold here that has started wearing his Crocs. He has a pair of lilac colored Crocs that he wears (his favorite color is neon pink, but try finding those in a men's 14!) most cold days.

He was at a retreat Friday when one of the women attending came up and declared, "I don't think I like your shoes."

He responded, "They are very comfortable."

"But they're purple." She turned around and walked away.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter