Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1692604 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14625 on: January 26, 2014, 04:46:23 PM »
It's DH's situation. People trying to control his shoe choice. Okay, it bugs me too.

I've commented elsewhere that he usually wears his Birkenstock sandals year round. It's been so cold here that has started wearing his Crocs. He has a pair of lilac colored Crocs that he wears (his favorite color is neon pink, but try finding those in a men's 14!) most cold days.

He was at a retreat Friday when one of the women attending came up and declared, "I don't think I like your shoes."

He responded, "They are very comfortable."

"But they're purple." She turned around and walked away.

I love Crocs.  I wear them as slippers.  But I'd never wear them when I go out, for precisely this reason.

kckgirl

« Reply #14626 on: January 26, 2014, 05:02:25 PM »
He was at a retreat Friday when one of the women attending came up and declared, "I don't think I like your shoes."

My reply would be, "And?"

Who cares what she thinks? She can keep her opinions of everybody's footwear to herself.
Maryland

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14627 on: January 26, 2014, 05:28:19 PM »
I may have whined about this before, since it's a continuing annoyance -- coming out of a store and finding that my car has been bracketed by two huge SUVs, both with heavily tinted windows.  I have no choice but to creep slowly out of my parking place and hope that people driving up the aisle realize that I can't see them coming and STOP.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Library Dragon

« Reply #14628 on: January 26, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »

Who cares what she thinks? She can keep her opinions of everybody's footwear to herself.

I told him he needed to start using the phrase, "How kind of you to take an interest" while channeling Lady Violet (Maggie Smith).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #14629 on: January 26, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »

I told him he needed to start using the phrase, "How kind of you to take an interest" while channeling Lady Violet (Maggie Smith).

I probably needed to say that to the person who told me I was going to get pneumonia from not wearing a coat. I will fully admit that it was objectively cold (there was a slight breeze and snow still on the ground), but I am rarely, if ever, honestly cold. I will take the trash out wearing shorts, a tank top, and flip flops in the dead of winter. However, ignoring the fact that diseases don't just go around in marauding bands, looking for someone without a coat on, I decided that it was better to not argue with that person or even respond.

I hate it when people make others' fashion and clothing choices their business. If said person is my parent or grandparent, then that's one thing. But if it doesn't hurt anyone else, then they should just leave it be.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #14630 on: January 26, 2014, 07:57:20 PM »

I probably needed to say that to the person who told me I was going to get pneumonia from not wearing a coat. I will fully admit that it was objectively cold (there was a slight breeze and snow still on the ground), but I am rarely, if ever, honestly cold. I will take the trash out wearing shorts, a tank top, and flip flops in the dead of winter. However, ignoring the fact that diseases don't just go around in marauding bands, looking for someone without a coat on, I decided that it was better to not argue with that person or even respond.

I hate it when people make others' fashion and clothing choices their business. If said person is my parent or grandparent, then that's one thing. But if it doesn't hurt anyone else, then they should just leave it be.
POD POD POD
We have been having actual cold weather here. If I'm going to be outside for a significant length of time I'll wear a jacket. Going outside for the trash - no. My school was built in the late 1960's each pod (group of 4 classrooms) opens out onto a garden. If I'm going to recess, I'll wear a jacket. Going from the room to another area inside the school, I'm not going to put on a jacket. I'll simply boil. I actually had a member of administration say I was setting a poor example for the kids. (All my kids had their jackets) I showed her the welts I got earlier in the day from the wearing a jacket. She doesn't say anything anymore.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14631 on: January 26, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
I'd get annoyed if someone commented on my choice of footwear, honestly.  I know Crocs are not the height of footwear fashion. If I cared I wouldn't buy them, but I have two pairs so there ya have it. :)  Well three if you count the Croc sandals I have.

I keep waiting for someone to give me a hard time about my youngest.  We don't have a garage or driveway but our van is often parked right in front of our house and it's really less than a minute's walk from the front door to the van.  My brother's fiance once adjusted the straps of his car seat, which I really didn't mind since that's part of her job and I actually appreciated it.   I haven't touched them to adjust them since she last visited which means I can't fit little guy in with his coat on.  Besides, technically you're really not supposed to for safety's sake.  It's said it's better to just put a blanket over them to keep them warm once they're strapped in.

Anyway, because of this, I don't bother to put his coat all the way on him between the house and the van, or if I'm taking him directly into a building.  It gets wrapped around him and the hood's pulled up to block him from the cold, elements and wind.  If we're going to be outside for a while yes, the coat goes all the way on, but it's just not worth it to take 5 minutes to get him into the coat just for a one minute walk to the van where it's going to come off him anyway.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

WishUponAStar

« Reply #14632 on: January 26, 2014, 11:40:29 PM »
Extremely loud construction during work hours. I know it can't be helped, but the loudest drilling I have ever heard in my life (which sounds like it's actually occuring right next to my ear) has continued unabated for the last thirty minutes.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #14633 on: January 26, 2014, 11:42:04 PM »
I may have whined about this before, since it's a continuing annoyance -- coming out of a store and finding that my car has been bracketed by two huge SUVs, both with heavily tinted windows.  I have no choice but to creep slowly out of my parking place and hope that people driving up the aisle realize that I can't see them coming and STOP.

This, this, a million times this. I've taken to flashing my hazard lights while backing out of a blind spot like that and it's been known to work. Otherwise, I usually get honked at, but because I can't see who is honking or why, it takes me a moment to realize it's some impatient jerk who wants me to pull back in to let them pass. Grrr! Makes me want to materialize in their passenger seat and give them a long stare of disapproval.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

Adelaide

« Reply #14634 on: January 27, 2014, 12:55:17 AM »
My father is extremely oversensitive and he always has been. We were playing a game of Uno the other day that was moving pretty quickly, and he got irritated that the cards weren't stacked completely neatly and oriented the same way. He made us stop and said that if you "mess up" the deck you had to fix it and I [politely] replied that we weren't all going to stall the game in order to accommodate his particular neurosis, especially since no one else had a problem with it, and he started whining (yes, a full-grown man whining) that we weren't being "fair".

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #14635 on: January 27, 2014, 12:58:30 AM »
People who can't or won't maintain consistent speed on the road. "Oh, I'm going downhill and have sped up a little! I will hit the brakes, and slow down to 10 km below the speed limit! Now I'm still going downhill and will keep accelerating until I'm over the speed limit again! Oh no, I must hit the brakes!"

Extra bonus marks if you pull out to pass them and they immediately speed up.  >:(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #14636 on: January 27, 2014, 05:03:58 AM »

People talking without reasons. I don't mind chatting, but when I'm obviously not paying attention or don't comment, then please shut up! I get seriously annoyed with the partner when he just rambles away and with workmates who do the same.

I think it comes from working in retail. I hear so many people all day that when I'm not at work, I really don't want to speak or listen to speech. If I could live at home in complete silence, I would.

I suspect I have some important mental wires crossed.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14637 on: January 27, 2014, 06:12:07 AM »

People talking without reasons. I don't mind chatting, but when I'm obviously not paying attention or don't comment, then please shut up! I get seriously annoyed with the partner when he just rambles away and with workmates who do the same.

I think it comes from working in retail. I hear so many people all day that when I'm not at work, I really don't want to speak or listen to speech. If I could live at home in complete silence, I would.

I suspect I have some important mental wires crossed.

Nah, my bff works in retail and she's said pretty much the same thing.  She lives alone and has said she doesn't like listening to the radio cause she doesn't feel like hearing the dj's inane chatter and commercials when she hears people talking all day long.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

o_gal

« Reply #14638 on: January 27, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »
Facebook and other social media sites interfering with your browser history. On some sites that I read, when you attempt to click the back/forward button, you don't go anywhere. Because Facebook or other social media have inserted their own "page" into the history, usually because of links between the site and those social media sites. You have to then use the feature to jump back/forward multiple pages, and sometimes there are so many social media "pages" that you have to do multiple back/forward jumps just to get to the real page that you want.

Shalamar

« Reply #14639 on: January 27, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
She lives alone and has said she doesn't like listening to the radio cause she doesn't feel like hearing the dj's inane chatter and commercials when she hears people talking all day long.

I play the radio in the car on the way to work because (a) my husband is with me and likes to hear music and (b) I want to hear if there are any traffic issues.  When I drive home at the end of the day, I'm on my own, and I immediately switch the radio OFF so that I can enjoy the delicious silence.  (Especially if my cubicle mate has been particularly loud and obnoxious that day.)