Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1299915 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14790 on: February 08, 2014, 05:48:30 PM »
When the commentators on the Olympic coverage assume that laypeople know just as much as they do.  "Wow, I think even non-skaters can see how she flubbed that gerplinksky!"  No, no we can't.  She jumped up in the air and spun around, and landed without even bobbling, much less falling flat on her bacon-fed knave.

What annoyed me last night was Matt Lauer & company saying repeatedly "they're coming to this year's Olympics knowing they won't win" and "they don't come to the Olympics hoping to win."  ::)

gmatoy

« Reply #14791 on: February 08, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »
When the commentators on the Olympic coverage assume that laypeople know just as much as they do.  "Wow, I think even non-skaters can see how she flubbed that gerplinksky!"  No, no we can't.  She jumped up in the air and spun around, and landed without even bobbling, much less falling flat on her bacon-fed knave.

What annoyed me last night was Matt Lauer & company saying repeatedly "they're coming to this year's Olympics knowing they won't win" and "they don't come to the Olympics hoping to win."  ::)

Thank You!!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #14792 on: February 09, 2014, 12:34:47 AM »

Thank You!!

Preach it! Everybody hopes to win. Everybody has worked hard and has qualified to be there, which means they're already a world class athlete and therefore have a chance to win.

Ereine

« Reply #14793 on: February 09, 2014, 02:32:45 AM »

Thank You!!

Preach it! Everybody hopes to win. Everybody has worked hard and has qualified to be there, which means they're already a world class athlete and therefore have a chance to win.

I don't think that's actually true. There are competitors like the skier from Timor-Leste who decided to represent his mother's country as he had no chance of making Team France and doesn't really have any realistic chance of winning. Or the 47 year old American business man and his wife who are competing in cross-country skiing for Dominica. I guess that they might have a chance if all the really tough Norwegians etc. don't finish but it isn't much of chance.

I'm really annoyed at weather. I'm in Finland and it's supposed to be winter but it's raining and almost all our snow is gone.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #14794 on: February 09, 2014, 05:51:56 AM »
See the whole attitude of 'coming to the Olympics but not thinking they're going to win', I just don't get that.
As an Australian, I've seen one of our athletes, who nobody even rated as having a chance, come in and win the gold!
I mean, Steven Bradbury did it because the rest of the speed skaters crashed into each other and fell over, but he still won!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #14795 on: February 09, 2014, 06:23:18 AM »
See the whole attitude of 'coming to the Olympics but not thinking they're going to win', I just don't get that.
As an Australian, I've seen one of our athletes, who nobody even rated as having a chance, come in and win the gold!
I mean, Steven Bradbury did it because the rest of the speed skaters crashed into each other and fell over, but he still won!

And it was Australia's first ever Winter Olympics gold. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAADWfJO2qM
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #14796 on: February 09, 2014, 10:01:47 AM »
I was there in the arena when Steven won, and there was no more delighted an expression than his when he crossed the line.  Just shows what happens when skaters' blades touch going around a turn - pileup. 

Keep your figure skating, give me short track! 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14797 on: February 09, 2014, 12:41:29 PM »
Today I refilled the washer fluid in my car. First time I did this, I was thrilled it took the entire jug! None of my other cars did, so the partial always rolled around in my car and leaked. However, it wasn't quite empty as I got no warning light yet, but with all the snow, I wanted to do it. There is a smidge left in the jug so now I have to remember in a couple days to out it in when the level goes down. And I'm too cheap to simply toss it!

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #14798 on: February 09, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
I don't think that makes you cheap.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #14799 on: February 09, 2014, 10:01:33 PM »
People who ask for help with XYZ and then it turns out that they haven't even started with ABC.

I've taken a lot of statistics classes in graduate school and taught myself how to use a specialized statistical software. I have a few friends who are graduate students in other departments who don't have the same statistical requirements for their programs, but for the most part they realize how helpful it is to know how to analyze their own data.

A few months ago, I helped friend Anna make her graph "prettier:" how to select particular colors and line types in plots and how to get everything perfectly aligned and labeled. It took me 30 minutes. Friend Betty thought that was great and asked for references for how to use that software so I sent her the PDFs of the books I taught myself with.

Thursday night Betty asked for help to make her own graph pretty. I offered to meet her first thing on Friday morning. Except she didn't even have the software installed, much less know how to use it. After getting that up and running, she had no idea of what she how she wanted to analyze her data. I suggested a few tests, but told her she needed to go back and discuss this with her major professor. At this point, it's been 3 hours of my time.

Saturday, she asks if she can stop by my lab for a few minutes with one or two questions. An hour later it becomes obvious that her data is incredibly flawed so I told her she needed to go fix her dataset.

Today, she asked if she could join my usual Sunday afternoon study group and ask a question or two along the way. Who wants to guess that she expected me to talk her through it step by step? I told her that I had my own stuff to work on and that a few questions did not mean that she got my undivided attention for two more hours.

Now Betty is upset because I helped Anna make a pretty graph but I wouldn't help her.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14800 on: February 09, 2014, 10:28:36 PM »
Today, after several errands with DS, he and I went to the grocery store. It is our last stop, and I will pass other locations of the same chain to go to this one as I know where everything is and am friendly with a lot of the employees.

I walk in to the store, pick up a few bottles of wine I need, then turn to go past the front of the store to the pharmacy, since they close early. There is a candy display on the left and a man and woman were standing there. The odd thing was, his hand was in the front of her shirt! The last place I expect to see a public display of affection is at the grocery store.  :o

CuriousParty

« Reply #14801 on: February 10, 2014, 12:34:51 AM »
School fund raisers. And people with myopic viewpoints.

There are two cases of chocolate in my house that I do not want or need, or have any easy way to rid myself of short of paying for them myself and throwing the darn things out (which feels like a terrible waste).

The HSA president insists that this is a "favorite" fundraiser and "it's so easy" to sell the chocolate! Maybe, if you or someone in the house works somewhere that allows you to bring these things in, and/or there are enough people to buy it...or you have kids old enough to send around door to door, assuming they have time between getting home after parents come back from work, and homework, and activities... But in my experience? Not so much. "Just set up a table outside!" Managed by the six year old? In this neighborhood? In FEBRUARY?

But how do you expect us to raise money? I don't know, but maybe not on the backs of the kids is a place to start....

TeamBhakta

« Reply #14802 on: February 10, 2014, 12:42:27 AM »

There are two cases of chocolate in my house that I do not want or need, or have any easy way to rid myself of short of paying for them myself and throwing the darn things out (which feels like a terrible waste).

The HSA president insists that this is a "favorite" fundraiser and "it's so easy" to sell the chocolate!

The president is crazy. Even a chocolate lover like me ends up saying "No thank you, I don't want to buy one (the price is jacked up from last year, 10 other kids are selling the same brand, etc)." I have a Pinterest board of creative fundraiser ideas on hand; let me know if you'd like me to PM it to you

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #14803 on: February 10, 2014, 12:58:52 AM »

The HSA president insists that this is a "favorite" fundraiser and "it's so easy" to sell the chocolate!

The president is crazy. Even a chocolate lover like me ends up saying "No thank you, I don't want to buy one (the price is jacked up from last year, 10 other kids are selling the same brand, etc)." I have a Pinterest board of creative fundraiser ideas on hand; let me know if you'd like me to PM it to you
I'd rather just hand the kid an actual donation of $10 that they get ALL of, instead of buying overpriced stuff so that they earn $2.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14804 on: February 10, 2014, 07:07:49 AM »
I hate those fundraisers with a fiery passion.  It's all overpriced stuff you could get elsewhere for less $.  Our most recent one was Yankee Candle. Most people I have met don't like them because they set off allergies like no other brand of scented candle because they're so strong.  Heck I once had their car freshener (not a car jar, just your typical cardboard freshener) Sun and Sand and I had to take it down after about 5 minutes because I couldn't stop sneezing and I usually don't have a big problem with allergies.

Sometimes we can count on bringing those fundraisers to church choir rehearsal, as we will tend to buy stuff from each other's kids but I wasn't going to bother with that one.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata