Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1618528 times)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14820 on: February 11, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »
Misplacing something (or thinking you have) black and vinyl covered (in my case, a glasses case with my brand new, $700 prescription distance glasses with transition lenses) in a car with black rubber floor mats and linings everywhere and lots of little nooks and crannies for things to hide in.  Argh.  Two days of moving everything and searching, another search with a portable light to look under seats etc. 

Yes, I did finally find them...  on the deck next to the recliner sunchairs...  They'd been in my handbag and apparently fallen out while I was sitting on the deck.   ::)  :-[

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14821 on: February 12, 2014, 06:46:39 AM »
Misplacing something (or thinking you have) black and vinyl covered (in my case, a glasses case with my brand new, $700 prescription distance glasses with transition lenses) in a car with black rubber floor mats and linings everywhere and lots of little nooks and crannies for things to hide in.  Argh.  Two days of moving everything and searching, another search with a portable light to look under seats etc. 

Yes, I did finally find them...  on the deck next to the recliner sunchairs...  They'd been in my handbag and apparently fallen out while I was sitting on the deck.   ::)  :-[

I'm so glad you found your glasses.

Everyone always laughs at me for picking the brightest color, most outlandish patterned eyeglass case available, but this is exactly why I do it...easier to find when I misplace them.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14822 on: February 12, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
Two things:

The naming of winter storms, and the media coverage of said storms. Yes, we know its going to be bad, but there's no need to make it any worse than it is! I live in NJ, where its supposed to start in the wee hours of thu morning, and continue utnil sometime early friday. I get it, but its not necessary to devote entire newscasts to it, along with the OH NO, its going to be horrible!

Second one:  Olympic coverage. Yes, its disappointing some of the favorites failed to win gold, or even medal. But...that being said, don't act like its the end of the world. To the athlete, maybe it is, but, don't keep harping on it, or in the case of Shawn White, don't speculate that the weather conditions had anything to do with his NOT winning again.  Its a competition, and anything can happen. And he showed great class by congratulating the gold medal winner when I'm sure he was quite disappointed to have finished 4th.

there's no guarentee when competiting that anyone will win. Look at all those before who weren't expected to win, and ended up taking gold in their event.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14823 on: February 12, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
Amen on the storms! 

I understand the warnings about icy conditions but continuing coverage that pre-empts regular programming for an hour or two while nothing new is happening is just silly.  It gets to the point where 'on the scene' reporters are making snowballs and sticking rulers in the snow to show how much has fallen. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14824 on: February 12, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »
Amen on the storms! 

I understand the warnings about icy conditions but continuing coverage that pre-empts regular programming for an hour or two while nothing new is happening is just silly.  It gets to the point where 'on the scene' reporters are making snowballs and sticking rulers in the snow to show how much has fallen.
One of the East Coast governors issued a State of Emergency last night.  Over 24 hours ahead of the storm front. ::)

It's WINTER, people.  It snows and gets cold.  Here it's not a once-in-a-decade half-inch.  We get measurable snow several times in the average winter.  Every few years we get significant snow.  Stop all this
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14825 on: February 12, 2014, 12:58:10 PM »
Amen on the storms! 

One of the East Coast governors issued a State of Emergency last night.  Over 24 hours ahead of the storm front. ::)

It's WINTER, people.  It snows and gets cold.  Here it's not a once-in-a-decade half-inch.  We get measurable snow several times in the average winter.  Every few years we get significant snow.  Stop all this

YES! this year has been worse than the last couple, much worse, but...its snow. Yes, tomrorow everyone may be housebound, and possilbly some of Friday too. I've already rescheduled two appts I had on Friday, but am still taking the day off, for my own mental health.  But I suspect by later Friday, and def. Sat, the roads will be clear, and people can go out and about again. Its not like you'll be stuck in your home for weeks!!!!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14826 on: February 12, 2014, 01:05:13 PM »
Amen to the winter storms, and it does make me glad we don't have satellite or cable (nor have we bothered with an antenna). 

My little annoyance (and it is quite little) is that any time my youngest son's hair gets a bit long, people start assuming he's a girl. MIL said she had the same problem with DH and like him all the boys hair gets a bit curly at the ends when it gets longish.  But DH actually had ringlets before he got his first haircut.  She said she'd dress him all in blues, boyish clothes with trucks and superheros and people would still say "Aww, she's so cute!" until she chopped the curls off.  Which she hated to do but she was also getting tired of having to correct people on his gender.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14827 on: February 12, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
Until my dad went bald, every time his hair grew out just a tiny bit, he had ringlets. It drove him crazy!
None of his daughters inherited his ringlets, so my mom gave us spiral perms at home until we were old enough to protest.

The same thing that is happening with the winter storms happens during hurricane season. We who prepare and possess moderate amounts of common sense get annoyed by the overreaction of the media. But every year, there are people who didn't prepare and face the consequences.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14828 on: February 12, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »
I have a cousin who had tight curls which he inherited from his mother and when he was very little he did not like these curls and referred to it as having "up hair" :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TeamBhakta

« Reply #14829 on: February 12, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
I had lunch at a new restaurant. The women's room had one handicapped stall and one regular sized stall. I pushed open the door to the regular stall, as there was no handle on it. And then I realized inside the stall the door could not be closed until I wedged myself next to the right side of the toilet and swatted a hand at the door. The only other way to close it would've been to stand on the toilet  ::) (no, I would never do that, obviously) There was one inch of space between the toilet and the door when the door was pushed in  ???

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14830 on: February 12, 2014, 03:27:59 PM »
Fad diets and people that promote them.

I have many friends and colleagues who have been successful while on various diets, but know only two that have maintained the "ideal" weight they achieved. Do whatever works for you, but leave me and my salad alone!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14831 on: February 12, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »
Fad diets and people that promote them.

I have many friends and colleagues who have been successful while on various diets, but know only two that have maintained the "ideal" weight they achieved. Do whatever works for you, but leave me and my salad alone!

Ugh. And along those same lines, people who, knowing you're doing something to lose weight, or eat healthy, or whatever, feel the need to give you all sort of helpful "hints" and "tips". Great if they worked for them, but some simply don't work for me, but they insist THEY are right, and you just need to "try harder" Yeah, I'll get right on that.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #14832 on: February 12, 2014, 04:08:05 PM »
It's only Wednesday and I've had five students call me to complain that they don't like what courses will be offered in the summer.

We sent you an email asking your preferences for electives and you didn't respond.  Summer classes are limited because it's a shorter semester.  It's the same every year!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #14833 on: February 12, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »
Do whatever works for you, but leave me and my salad alone!

This actually reminds me of why I hate eating salad in front of people. When you eat a salad it's assumed the only reason you'd eat a salad is because you're trying to loose weight. Which gets the fad diets and the tips and tricks to come out and lecture you on what you should be eating to loose weight, or people telling you "You shouldn't diet". I'm not! I actually like salad! I'm sorry my love of vegetables offends you!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #14834 on: February 12, 2014, 04:18:35 PM »
Do whatever works for you, but leave me and my salad alone!

This actually reminds me of why I hate eating salad in front of people. When you eat a salad it's assumed the only reason you'd eat a salad is because you're trying to loose weight. Which gets the fad diets and the tips and tricks to come out and lecture you on what you should be eating to loose weight, or people telling you "You shouldn't diet". I'm not! I actually like salad! I'm sorry my love of vegetables offends you!

Oh, sing it Sister!  I can't count the number of people who've said "Oh, you're eating salad because it's low in carbs and better for diabetics".  No, I'm eating salad because I want a salad.  If I'd wanted a bacon cheeseburger and fries I would have ordered that.