Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1734616 times)

Editeer

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14835 on: February 12, 2014, 04:28:44 PM »
This exchange with my boss today (in email).

Boss: I noticed XYZ didn't get updated for the last release. Is there a reason for that, or was it just an oversight? You need to send Bob the new information after every release.
Editeer: It was an oversight on my part for <reason>. I'll send Bob the information right away, and make a note to do so after every release.
Boss: Good. Make sure Bob tells you when he's done it. Then check his work. Then tell me that it's done.

This just got to me. Yes, I overlooked a task. But now that I know, I think I can handle it without being told EVERY step.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14836 on: February 12, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »
There was a time we went out to eat with another couple and I can't remember if it was myself or the other female in the party but one of us ordered an entree salad because that's really all that was desired.  The male of the other couple rolled his eyes and went on and on about how females will order things like that cause they think that's what they should order, but they'll end up eating off the plate of the guy they came with cause that's what they really want.

Yeah, he was one misogynistic piece of work who claimed he was in tune with women and what they really want cause he had two older sisters.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #14837 on: February 12, 2014, 06:35:31 PM »
Bodies that don't co-operate, or, The Law Of Sod.

I had an ambulatory ECG done last week to try and get to the bottom of some palpitations I've been having.

I had the thing on for 2 days. Did it do anything while I was hooked up to it? Nooooo. Of course not. Not a thing happened, except that I developed a nice rash from the adhesive on the pads.

Machine went back to the hospital yesterday. This morning my heart's jumping around like the cast of Riverdance.

Why? Why does this happen?!
I had the same thing happen and I wore the contraption for a *week*! Ugh! I just gave up on it. When I start getting palpitations, I cough hard and that stops it. Works for me.

What a familiar story! I went through that three times and the monitor never picked up anything. Then a few years ago the palpitations went nutso, as in they were happening every few minutes for several weeks, and I was sent to a cardiologist and an in-house EKG picked up a whole slew of abnormal beats. Finally.

In my case they're harmless PVCs, which is a good thing, though they have no idea why they go nuts like that every so often. Coughing helps "reset" things for me, also.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #14838 on: February 12, 2014, 07:22:34 PM »
We have not had recess since January 23 - with the school closings, just ugly weather (rain/cold) and benchmark testing for 4 days (can't take the younger kids out because the playground backs up to the 4th and 5th grade classrooms). I want decent weather during the week so we can take them outside and let them run.

When I was in elementary school, they would just let us play in the gym during bad weather. Could your school do something like that?
If it is open, but coach teaches 6 periods of PE a day, there is an open period right after our recess is over and our lunch starts. Just to be clear - we have been giving the kids a break. I've set up an art center, magnet center, building center, letting them bring toys, draw on the Promethean board (IWB), and use the computers/Ipads.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #14839 on: February 12, 2014, 07:30:42 PM »
Until my dad went bald, every time his hair grew out just a tiny bit, he had ringlets. It drove him crazy!
None of his daughters inherited his ringlets, so my mom gave us spiral perms at home until we were old enough to protest.

The same thing that is happening with the winter storms happens during hurricane season. We who prepare and possess moderate amounts of common sense get annoyed by the overreaction of the media. But every year, there are people who didn't prepare and face the consequences.
At least with hurricanes, they have the excuse of notifying those of us who need to evacuate.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14840 on: February 13, 2014, 08:32:23 AM »
It's only Wednesday and I've had five students call me to complain that they don't like what courses will be offered in the summer.

We sent you an email asking your preferences for electives and you didn't respond.  Summer classes are limited because it's a shorter semester.  It's the same every year!

We haven't even published the schedule yet and we are getting complaints!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14841 on: February 13, 2014, 08:33:52 AM »
Bodies that don't co-operate, or, The Law Of Sod.

I had an ambulatory ECG done last week to try and get to the bottom of some palpitations I've been having.

I had the thing on for 2 days. Did it do anything while I was hooked up to it? Nooooo. Of course not. Not a thing happened, except that I developed a nice rash from the adhesive on the pads.

Machine went back to the hospital yesterday. This morning my heart's jumping around like the cast of Riverdance.

Why? Why does this happen?!
I had the same thing happen and I wore the contraption for a *week*! Ugh! I just gave up on it. When I start getting palpitations, I cough hard and that stops it. Works for me.

What a familiar story! I went through that three times and the monitor never picked up anything. Then a few years ago the palpitations went nutso, as in they were happening every few minutes for several weeks, and I was sent to a cardiologist and an in-house EKG picked up a whole slew of abnormal beats. Finally.

In my case they're harmless PVCs, which is a good thing, though they have no idea why they go nuts like that every so often. Coughing helps "reset" things for me, also.

I also have harmless PVCs and have to explain them to every new doctor or anesthesiologist.

pwv

« Reply #14842 on: February 13, 2014, 10:39:08 AM »
I had lunch at a new restaurant. The women's room had one handicapped stall and one regular sized stall. I pushed open the door to the regular stall, as there was no handle on it. And then I realized inside the stall the door could not be closed until I wedged myself next to the right side of the toilet and swatted a hand at the door. The only other way to close it would've been to stand on the toilet  ::) (no, I would never do that, obviously) There was one inch of space between the toilet and the door when the door was pushed in  ???

I've seen a number of public restrooms that had outward swinging doors, with a nice large handle to grasp to pull the door open, but inside there is this teeny tiny little protrusion that is about 1/2" by 1" that you have to (try to) grasp to pull the door closed then turn to lock the door.  I usually end up using one hand to pull on the coat hook (if there is one) or the top of the door to close it and the other hand to turn the lock.  I have even seen *handicapped* stalls with this teeny tiny little protrusion on the inside of the door.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #14843 on: February 13, 2014, 02:45:29 PM »
On the topic of public bathrooms:  in stalls equipped with rails, having a giant toilet paper dispenser put in underneath the rail.

I hate having to bend that far over just to grab toilet paper.  And sometimes the dispenser is 6 inches in front of where I'm sitting, and the paper itself is dangling less than a foot off the floor.  It's a good stretch, but can't they find a smaller dispenser?  Or a different place to install it?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14844 on: February 13, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
How about the ones that have those toilet paper dispensers (usually a thick metal bar that does not allow the roll to actually roll) which only allow you to get one square of toilet paper at a time?  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14845 on: February 13, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »
On the topic of public bathrooms:  in stalls equipped with rails, having a giant toilet paper dispenser put in underneath the rail.

I hate having to bend that far over just to grab toilet paper.  And sometimes the dispenser is 6 inches in front of where I'm sitting, and the paper itself is dangling less than a foot off the floor.  It's a good stretch, but can't they find a smaller dispenser?  Or a different place to install it?

we have this problem at work. no rails, but the tp holders are the ones that hold 2 giant, continuous rolls, and they are so low! I asked one time why, and was told when they took the old style out, they put those in, and put them where they are to "cover up the holes" from the prior holders. really????

I then snarkily said "A man must have come up with that one"

And don't laugh, but I actually threw my back out, when I turned funny on the seat, and contorted myself, trying to get at the tp. Something went "pop" and I was in pain for several weeks.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #14846 on: February 13, 2014, 03:16:21 PM »
I am annoyed and repelled, yet somewhat fascinated by my co-worker's extremely loud swallowing. Whenever she drinks anything, she makes a very loud (as in you can hear it across the room) SQUELCH sort of noise that sounds like she's drinking roughly a gallon of water in one gulp.

I'm not sure how it is even physically possible to do that.

As I have misophonia and loathe eating and drinking noises especially, this is a real treat.  :-\

Esan ozenki!

Arizona

TeamBhakta

« Reply #14847 on: February 13, 2014, 03:50:50 PM »
I am annoyed and repelled, yet somewhat fascinated by my co-worker's extremely loud swallowing. Whenever she drinks anything, she makes a very loud (as in you can hear it across the room) SQUELCH sort of noise that sounds like she's drinking roughly a gallon of water in one gulp.

I'm not sure how it is even physically possible to do that.

As I have misophonia and loathe eating and drinking noises especially, this is a real treat.  :-\

Clearly you are working with a Slitheen.

Shalamar

« Reply #14848 on: February 13, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »
This literally just happened ...

I left my desk for a few minutes.   I checked my mailbox, recycled a soft drink can, and visited the bathroom.  All told, I was probably gone ten minutes, tops.  Up until that time, I'd been at my desk for a couple of hours.

When I returned to my desk, I found a chat window from my boss.  "Are you at your desk.  (Name) has been trying to get a hold of you.  Please call him ASAP." 

There was NOTHING indicating that (Name) had been trying to reach me.  No chats, no e-mails, no voicemails, nothing.   I'm probably being overly sensitive, but this really bugs me.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14849 on: February 13, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »
This literally just happened ...

I left my desk for a few minutes.   I checked my mailbox, recycled a soft drink can, and visited the bathroom.  All told, I was probably gone ten minutes, tops.  Up until that time, I'd been at my desk for a couple of hours.

When I returned to my desk, I found a chat window from my boss.  "Are you at your desk.  (Name) has been trying to get a hold of you.  Please call him ASAP." 

There was NOTHING indicating that (Name) had been trying to reach me.  No chats, no e-mails, no voicemails, nothing.   I'm probably being overly sensitive, but this really bugs me.

It would bother me too because it implies that (Name) has been repeatedly trying to get you, you've ignored him, so he went to your boss, who now things you're slacking off since you didn't respond. Or he's one of those who sends an email, and not 10 minutes later comes over to see if you've gotten it, read it, and acted upon it.