Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1822624 times)

Lynnv

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14850 on: February 13, 2014, 06:41:28 PM »
This literally just happened ...

I left my desk for a few minutes.   I checked my mailbox, recycled a soft drink can, and visited the bathroom.  All told, I was probably gone ten minutes, tops.  Up until that time, I'd been at my desk for a couple of hours.

When I returned to my desk, I found a chat window from my boss.  "Are you at your desk.  (Name) has been trying to get a hold of you.  Please call him ASAP." 

There was NOTHING indicating that (Name) had been trying to reach me.  No chats, no e-mails, no voicemails, nothing.   I'm probably being overly sensitive, but this really bugs me.

It would bug me too.  But when it happens, I will often respond with something like, "I will get right back to Joe right away.  I will also check that he has correct contact information, as I don't have anything from him at all today/this week/etc."  That way I am letting my boss know that I am not slacking without coming out and saying that Joe is full of it.  I don't want my boss to have the impression that I ignore my clients when they call.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

WishUponAStar

« Reply #14851 on: February 13, 2014, 09:40:59 PM »
Home sick and can't take a nap. There's REALLY noisy construction going on directly in front of my window. Is it evil that I'm hoping it starts snowing again so they have to stop and go away?  >:D

TeamBhakta

« Reply #14852 on: February 13, 2014, 11:06:53 PM »
Inside Edition had a story about these murders
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/10/us/virginia-alexandria-murder-mystery/

....and heavily implied there's a whacko serial killer running around in the snow storms, braving the cold just so he can knock on your door, kill you and run. That's helpful  ::)

Adelaide

« Reply #14853 on: February 14, 2014, 12:19:09 AM »
I HATE the habit my generation has of sort of flitting from one thing to the next or just ignoring times/dates altogether. It makes it impossible for me to plan anything, be it a brunch or even a card game. The other day I asked 7 people if they'd like to play Cards Against Humanity and only two showed up at the time I said the game started. One was late, one responded that yeah she wanted to play and when I asked where she was (after the game started) she said that she would only be back three hours later. One girl said she'd "be there in 15 minutes" and tried to act put out when we were done in an hour and she finally came downstairs. When I asked her why she wasn't there she said a friend of a friend had shown up with liquor so she "couldn't just leave."

And for all of the people who would tell me to "get different friends" this seems to be pretty universal. It's driving me nuts. When I say I'll be somewhere at a certain time, I'm there or I say in advance that I won't be. Sometimes you can't get a game started, can't get a headcount for a party, don't know how much food to make, etc.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14854 on: February 14, 2014, 07:46:05 AM »
It gets on my last nerve as a Meetup organizer that people don't bother to read event notices thoroughly.  I get notifications about the comments area of the pages and find questions about things that are clearly stated in the original notice.

I always respond with some form of "As stated above..." to bring home the point that reading this notice would have avoided the question.  I could understand if this were verbal speech in a public place with distracting sounds but I don't think there is any excuse for this carelessness or lack of respect.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14855 on: February 14, 2014, 09:12:10 AM »
It gets on my last nerve as a Meetup organizer that people don't bother to read event notices thoroughly.  I get notifications about the comments area of the pages and find questions about things that are clearly stated in the original notice.

I always respond with some form of "As stated above..." to bring home the point that reading this notice would have avoided the question.  I could understand if this were verbal speech in a public place with distracting sounds but I don't think there is any excuse for this carelessness or lack of respect.

I've learned not to bother, my members tend to put them straight.  I also send out a quarterly message reminding people of the rules and to READ the entire event description before asking questions.

lilfox

« Reply #14856 on: February 14, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »
DH at our dinner out last night.  We don't have many opportunities to go out for a Nice Dinner (no kids, upscale restaurant, fancy date night style).  Maybe twice a year, so it's a splurge and dress up type situation.

Every time, without fail, at the end of the evening DH will comment negatively about the bill, and more often than not, about the food and/or service.  Almost every time, I've had a great meal and no complaints, and i can do basic math in my head so the bill is not a surprise and I'm absolutely okay with spending that much on a night out.  Anyway, it completely spoils the experience for me.  In the past I've tried several different ways of explaining why his comments bug me, to no avail. last night was no exception and it ended on a pretty sour note.  >:(

My friend's DH is the same way, so I told her we should just date each other when we want a night out (we already are two of a three-woman crew that does monthly girls' nights out!).

TeamBhakta

« Reply #14857 on: February 14, 2014, 09:48:22 PM »
DH at our dinner out last night.  We don't have many opportunities to go out for a Nice Dinner (no kids, upscale restaurant, fancy date night style).  Maybe twice a year, so it's a splurge and dress up type situation.

Every time, without fail, at the end of the evening DH will comment negatively about the bill, and more often than not, about the food and/or service.  Almost every time, I've had a great meal and no complaints, and i can do basic math in my head so the bill is not a surprise and I'm absolutely okay with spending that much on a night out.  Anyway, it completely spoils the experience for me.  In the past I've tried several different ways of explaining why his comments bug me, to no avail. last night was no exception and it ended on a pretty sour note.  >:(

My friend's DH is the same way, so I told her we should just date each other when we want a night out (we already are two of a three-woman crew that does monthly girls' nights out!).

Maybe it's his passive agressive way of saying "I wanted us to go some place else." Tell him bluntly "When we go on date night, you complain too much. So here's how we're gonna fix that: next date night, you get to surprise me. You pick the destinations / activities. And in exchange, you gotta promise not to gripe about the bill or the service. If you gripe during the date, I will walk out to the parking lot and drive myself home, because I expect respect from you."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:50:35 PM by TeamBhakta »

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #14858 on: February 14, 2014, 11:41:32 PM »
Valentine's Day.  Now, don't get me wrong!  I have nothing special against the idea, but I myself am single, and happy to be so.  This year, I almost posted "Happy Singles Awareness Day" on my FB wall, but I caught myself in time.  I saw someone else post it before, and I thought it was cute and kind of funny, so I did the same thing last year.  It didn't go over very well.  I had couples coming out of the woodwork, telling me how offended they were by it. 

Fine, fair enough...but if I have to put up with lovey-dovey status updates, goofy selfies, baby pictures galore (and there is nothing wrong with that, but a couple people I'm FB friends with take it to a major extreme), then why can't they just roll their eyes and move on like I do (and do...and do...and do...).

Did I mention that most of those couples are no longer together? 

Not bitter about being single, just bitter about not being allowed to have a sense of humor about it!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:43:15 PM by CrochetFanatic »

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #14859 on: February 14, 2014, 11:53:45 PM »
Valentine's Day.  Now, don't get me wrong!  I have nothing special against the idea, but I myself am single, and happy to be so.  This year, I almost posted "Happy Singles Awareness Day" on my FB wall, but I caught myself in time.  I saw someone else post it before, and I thought it was cute and kind of funny, so I did the same thing last year.  It didn't go over very well.  I had couples coming out of the woodwork, telling me how offended they were by it. 

Fine, fair enough...but if I have to put up with lovey-dovey status updates, goofy selfies, baby pictures galore (and there is nothing wrong with that, but a couple people I'm FB friends with take it to a major extreme), then why can't they just roll their eyes and move on like I do (and do...and do...and do...).

Not bitter about being single, just bitter about not being allowed to have a sense of humor about it!

If I were you, I would honestly tell those people that they can hide posts and feeds they don't want to see, and that my posts aren't a reflection on their lives.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14860 on: February 15, 2014, 08:04:43 AM »

Honestly, it's because I have single friends that I don't say much about that day on my fbook wall.  We do little things for each other like give one another candy (I got chocolate, he got a My Little Pony tin of candies and a Fluttershy Funko Pop figure.) but we don't really make a huge deal of it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14861 on: February 15, 2014, 08:25:55 AM »
A few single friends that publicly moped about Valentine's Day, herefore referred to as VD.

They actually posted a status that said they wished they could stay in bed until Sunday, then used the "lonely" emoticon. One of them posted multiple times how much it bothers her. I didn't do it, but I think next time I will send her a private message that she could just stay off social media for the day. I do that quite often when something bugs me (like election day).

DH wrote something negative in the card he gave me last night. He has been informed that I would rather have no card.  >:(

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #14862 on: February 15, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »
DH wrote something negative in the card he gave me last night. He has been informed that I would rather have no card.  >:(

Oh, no! Who in their right mind writes something negative on a Valentine's Day card? He needs a clue-by-four ASAP.

I am sorry.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14863 on: February 15, 2014, 08:48:33 AM »
He received one, but still doesn't get why it bothers me. He will understand at some point. We have nearly 20 years together, and I don't know what possessed him.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14864 on: February 15, 2014, 11:37:40 AM »

Per the bolded: OTT reaction. I posted some nice things about V. Day, but also posted a Grumpy Cat meme that dissed it a bit...but in an inoffensive way, IMO. People need to not take things like that so personally.