Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1691344 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14865 on: February 15, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
Honestly, it's a vastly unimportant holiday... unless you own stock in DeBeers or Hallmark.  Just because it's named after a saint does not make it a high holy day.

gmatoy

« Reply #14866 on: February 15, 2014, 09:24:57 PM »
DH wrote something negative in the card he gave me last night. He has been informed that I would rather have no card.  >:(

My DH did something very similar on our first anniversary, over 41 years ago. Every time we hit a bad patch, I swear I think, "That should have been my warning!"

But he didn't ever make that mistake again. Something about a very hysterical wife got through to him.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #14867 on: February 16, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »
my sewing machine is driving me crazy right now. I have so many projects, and I finally have some time today. But I keep getting the loopy, messy thread bunching that everyone knows and loves. I've tried everything I can think of. I've been playing with the tension, I've rethreaded my machine, rewound the bobbin, and even changed out the needle. When I sew on my scrap piece, it turns out fine, but as soon as I start on the dress, it bunches up again. grrrrr!!!  >:( I really don't want to get my smaller machine down from the closet. But I don't want to hand stitch either.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #14868 on: February 16, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »
Guilt trippers.  Not only being guilt-tripped by someone:

Person to me:  "Why aren't you drinking the orange juice?  I bought it for YOU!  Now it's going to go bad and I'll have wasted the money!"

What?  I didn't ask you to buy me orange juice!

but then using me to guilt-trip others:

Person to daughter, on phone:  "Why aren't you home yet?  What do you mean you went out with your friends after work?  Mrs_Deb is just sitting here, waiting for you to come home!  She wants to see you!"

I never said a word about wanting to see your daughter.  I'm here to see YOU!  If I never see your daughter again it'll still be too soon.

I swear, I'm going to be bald soon.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14869 on: February 16, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »
my sewing machine is driving me crazy right now. I have so many projects, and I finally have some time today. But I keep getting the loopy, messy thread bunching that everyone knows and loves. I've tried everything I can think of. I've been playing with the tension, I've rethreaded my machine, rewound the bobbin, and even changed out the needle. When I sew on my scrap piece, it turns out fine, but as soon as I start on the dress, it bunches up again. grrrrr!!!  >:( I really don't want to get my smaller machine down from the closet. But I don't want to hand stitch either.

I used to have the shuttle loosen on my old, old Kenmore/White. (1964 model) I have to adjust that tension every couple bobbin spools. (Otherwise, it was perfect - I never should have gotten rid of it.)

I have a Janomi now that will not take Coats & Clarks or any cheap thread. I have to use the expensive stuff and it sews like a dream.

I think Coats & Clark has lost quality control anyway because I had to get a new spool for hand sewing and it was awful, catching and bunching. I still use the spools I bought up to 20 years ago for hand sewing and it works fine.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14870 on: February 16, 2014, 01:03:18 PM »
Take it in to the sewing machine repair people stat.  The timing is off, so that the thread hook isn't coming around to catch the thread when it should.  Did you hit a pin recently?  That can throw it off.  (Not as bad as a 5-year-old driving the needle through a wooden puzzle piece, but very few things are THAT bad!)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

meraki

« Reply #14871 on: February 16, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »
I HATE the habit my generation has of sort of flitting from one thing to the next or just ignoring times/dates altogether. It makes it impossible for me to plan anything, be it a brunch or even a card game. The other day I asked 7 people if they'd like to play Cards Against Humanity and only two showed up at the time I said the game started. One was late, one responded that yeah she wanted to play and when I asked where she was (after the game started) she said that she would only be back three hours later. One girl said she'd "be there in 15 minutes" and tried to act put out when we were done in an hour and she finally came downstairs. When I asked her why she wasn't there she said a friend of a friend had shown up with liquor so she "couldn't just leave."

And for all of the people who would tell me to "get different friends" this seems to be pretty universal. It's driving me nuts. When I say I'll be somewhere at a certain time, I'm there or I say in advance that I won't be. Sometimes you can't get a game started, can't get a headcount for a party, don't know how much food to make, etc.

Yup, drives me nuts. This became a particular problem for me when I moved to So Cal a few years ago. I don't know if I've been really unlucky or what, but the people I've met here have been the biggest flakes. We're talking never RSVPing for anything, just not showing up when you do actually RSVP (without so much as a text), cancelling plans at the last minute, refusing to commit entirely (always "I hope I can make it!" for no good reason), coming hours late, "I'll stop by sometime later," etc etc. This has been the majority, not a few bad apples. It's made me even more antisocial than I already was.

(Awesome choice in games, BTW ;))

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14872 on: February 16, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »
I'm about to fire up our new Singer Heavy Duty machine and sew a special event uniform shirt. We needed heavy duty to sew through patches and fabric. Now if I can determine where the boys put the thread I bought last night. ???

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #14873 on: February 16, 2014, 04:53:34 PM »
Take it in to the sewing machine repair people stat.  The timing is off, so that the thread hook isn't coming around to catch the thread when it should.  Did you hit a pin recently?  That can throw it off.  (Not as bad as a 5-year-old driving the needle through a wooden puzzle piece, but very few things are THAT bad!)

:( I was worried it was something like that. I hate having to take it in, and I was really hoping I could wiggle it back into action. I have a talent for messing things up in odd and spectacular ways. Last time I took this machine in, the problem was that I had put the needle in backwards ::)

So, my next thing that drives me up the wall is going to be heading to the machine shop. This machine is built into a cabinet, and it's a pain to take anywhere.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #14874 on: February 16, 2014, 05:32:30 PM »
Southern accents. I know there are people on the boards from the south. But I find them grating and at times impossible to understand. My husband got me to watch True Detective last night and I think I might have liked it better if I could understand what they were saying.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #14875 on: February 16, 2014, 05:45:08 PM »
My dad's gf told me that she almost put something negative in a note to me on valentine's day. She was going to bring up something that I supposedly said years ago. So there's 2 things that drive me bonkers.  >:(

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #14876 on: February 16, 2014, 06:27:17 PM »
That the labels for Newman's Own Pineapple, Peach, and Regular salsas all look basically identical, and are stocked right next to each other. I feel like I read the labels really carefully, try to make sure I get the one I want (regular)...so it really ticks me off when I pick the wrong one, because I just want the regular one, not the other two, and there's really no pretending when the fruit ones are so much sweeter.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14877 on: February 16, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »
Southern accents. I know there are people on the boards from the south. But I find them grating and at times impossible to understand. My husband got me to watch True Detective last night and I think I might have liked it better if I could understand what they were saying.

That's not very nice and seems to paint a wide swath of this country with a very narrow brush

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #14878 on: February 16, 2014, 09:11:34 PM »

That's not very nice and seems to paint a wide swath of this country with a very narrow brush

If a person can't understand an accent, s/he can't understand it. I'm from the South, and I'm not offended by people finding my accent hard to understand, especially if they're from another country and don't have a lot of experience with that accent.

Katana, if you can turn on subtitles on your TV, it might help you enjoy the show better. I have to do that with many shows and movies, because I have hearing issues and don't want to blast the TV so loud that I make my problems worse.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Hillia

« Reply #14879 on: February 16, 2014, 09:26:50 PM »

She's not saying anything about people with Southern accents, she's saying the speech patterns are (to her) unpleasant and hard to understand.  Someone else might as easily say that about a New Jersey accent or any other strong regional speech pattern. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools