Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1298610 times)

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14910 on: February 18, 2014, 02:38:46 AM »
That is one of my pet peeves though, when the sun is setting and it's low enough that you can't block it out with the visor and it makes it hard to see.

Where I live the roads were placed out in nice grids, meaning that if you drive down some of them late in the day, you drive directly into the sun. This provides hours of amusement at a certain set of traffic lights on a major intersection.
Common sense: so rare it's officially classed as a super-power.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #14911 on: February 18, 2014, 06:14:55 AM »
^^  he's another one!  i'd forgotten about him as i so rarely watch anything he's on :)

This Morning is one of the very few things I do watch on a Wednesday when my toddler is asleep. But oh my days.  He's annoying. I much prefer Philip and Holly!!!

I also hate TV shows like The Only Way is Essex and Benefits Street.  It just gives other countries a really bad opinion of England!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

nayberry

« Reply #14912 on: February 18, 2014, 06:41:46 AM »
^^  he's another one!  i'd forgotten about him as i so rarely watch anything he's on :)

This Morning is one of the very few things I do watch on a Wednesday when my toddler is asleep. But oh my days.  He's annoying. I much prefer Philip and Holly!!!

I also hate TV shows like The Only Way is Essex and Benefits Street.  It just gives other countries a really bad opinion of England!

i keep forgetting about TM, tend to watch homes under the hammer and then the sheriff are coming :)
true but jersey shore was as bad (even if it was addictive :/)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14913 on: February 18, 2014, 07:51:01 AM »
While driving home today, I noticed a car whose driver was having some issues maintaining their lane. I ended up next to the driver to realize they had a sun shield on their driver's window (not allowed in my state), had the visor down and had their hand to block the sun. I'm not sure what the issue was, but it was early enough that the sun was not directly near the horizon.

This is the kind of side window shade the car had. https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2UMVzZ3RLcaMVOe4h1Kt9yXVWiMSZQeucYM-l9qdm3eFio9ru

They have these really cool newfangled things called sunglasses.  Some of them even have special coatings to prevent glare :D
The driver may have been fighting off a migraine, and even with sunglasses etc. the glare was too much.  I remember one time when I drove my kids home from the movies with my left eye completely closed and  my right eye cracked open just enough to keep myself on the road.  Abrupt environment change triggered that migraine -- a dark movie theater chilled to arctic temperatures and coming straight out through the emergency exit doors into a hot bright July afternoon.  Fortunately it was only a little over a mile and if I'd seen a cop, I would have flagged him down and asked for help.

I suffer from severe migraines so I get it.  However, I do not drive when I have photo and aural reactions.  Especially not light sensitivities.  I'm already half blind and migraines just make it worse. 

So IF the driver was suffering, they are the ultimate SS because they are putting not only themselves in danger but also everyone else on the road with them.

There was no one else in the tiny car. I also have migraines and will not drive if I have one.

123Sandy

« Reply #14914 on: February 18, 2014, 08:20:31 AM »

I don't know what it is about reality TV in Britain but people seem to wear their stupidity like a badge of honour. I've been watching Coach Trip the past two weeks and there's a couple of Northern girls who are driving me mad!

What's the capital of Germany? "G?"
Where's Brussels? "it's a city in France"
They mixed up Iceland and Sardinia.
And other things I can't remember right now.

They're as proud as punch of themselves too!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14915 on: February 18, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »
That makes my blood boil, so I refuse to watch "reality" TV.  It's bad enough when one encounters it in life.

In fact, it's really horrible that anyone thinks it's great to be stupid.

perpetua

« Reply #14916 on: February 18, 2014, 09:05:58 AM »

I don't know what it is about reality TV in Britain but people seem to wear their stupidity like a badge of honour. I've been watching Coach Trip the past two weeks and there's a couple of Northern girls who are driving me mad!

What's the capital of Germany? "G?"
Where's Brussels? "it's a city in France"
They mixed up Iceland and Sardinia.
And other things I can't remember right now.

They're as proud as punch of themselves too!

I think Jade Goody (RIP) has a lot to answer for in that respect. Although I have a lot of respect for the way she handled herself in the last year or two of her life, she initially played her stupidity up to be quite endearing, to the extent she made an awful lot of money out of it.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #14917 on: February 18, 2014, 09:27:10 AM »
Can’t remember whether anybody has mentioned misplaced apostrophes.

I was browsing around a book shop (where you would think they ought to know better) at the weekend and found a section labeled “Biography’s”!!  I nearly wept.

Oh, my!  There's mine! I had to stop taking a particular paper because their editing did not catch that sort of error, and I could not concentrate on the story for the misused words and punctuation.  How do people better their reading comprehension when this stuff is so commonplace?

My only other peeves are people with children who walk into a store, with expensive and breakable stuff, feebly bleat once, "now,children,don't touch," and then IGNORE THEM WHILE THEY WREAK HAVOC.  (Yes, I have worked in this kind of store.) 
Also, the people who walk in and start turning into an expert business consultant.  "This place needs an internet cafe, and why don't you start having dancing bears, and you should do this and do that....."  ARRGGHH!!  After twenty-five years of owning stores, I had to give it up or commit mass murder.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #14918 on: February 18, 2014, 09:40:02 AM »

If someone tries to tickle my feet.  I have extremely ticklish feet and will kick.  I've never intentionally kicked someone when they try tickling my feet.  It's a knee jerk reaction that I've tried stopping but haven't been able to.  I think it's a reflexive action for me.

I'll totally kick someone intentionally if they try to tickle my feet, as long as it's someone who knows better.  BF's gotten a few good kicks that way >:D

I stopped being ticklish because some people in high school held me down and tickled me (three to one) I suddenly got really angry, and started throwing them off of me.  Forgot to be ticklish.  From then on, I think I can't be tickled.  I can be startled, like when my dog licked my bare feet suddenly, but once I know he's there if he does it again, no reaction.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #14919 on: February 18, 2014, 10:15:38 AM »
The blank stare.

It makes me want to scream (sometimes I do), and yet DH does it anyway.  His response is, "I'm thinking."  Fine - don't stare at me blankly while you do it!!!

I love DH, but he DELIBERATES everything.  I am getting up from the dinner table to pour myself more water.  "Do you want more coffee?" I ask.....and stand there.....and stand there......."No, thanks."  Sheesh, was it THAT HARD of a question?  Thirty eight years, I should know to ask while I'm still sitting, maybe I can get back to my meal before it's congealed.....

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #14920 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:37 AM »
Being told that some food is not "women's food."

ShieldMaiden, the fam and I will sometimes go to this nice restaurant in our area that sells game meat on certain days. Because we are adventurous eaters, we want to try the elk/turtle/ostrich/kangaroo/etc and the number of times we've gotten a "but you're girls!" reaction is strange. I feel like we need to wear tshirts there that say, "Yes, we're girls and we're going to eat your game meat!"

If someone told me that they had better look out.

Hooboy.  I would ask to see the manager, and then, all sweet and girly like, tell the manager that the mean old server won't let us order the game because, we're, like, girls.  Do we have to leave, or can you find us someone who will let us order what we wanted?

A long time ago, I was in line at a grocery store with about ten items, when one of the stock boys barged in ahead of me with his bag of snack and a can of soda, and said, smugly, oh, I have only fifteen minutes for break.  NOT, do you mind if I pay for this quickly? Not, excuse me....I left everything on the counter, walked over to the service desk and said that the grocery store was too grand for me to shop in, since the stockboy's time was more valuable than my own.  I left. No, I didn't buy the items.  No, I never went back.  Yes, they went out of business soon after.  Must have been a common occurrence there.

Shalamar

« Reply #14921 on: February 18, 2014, 11:19:59 AM »
Katana, if you can turn on subtitles on your TV, it might help you enjoy the show better.

That reminds me of what drives me up the wall - my parents and their TV.  Both parents have hearing problems, but their TV is ancient and doesn't have subtitles, so their solution is to crank up the volume until it's literally hurting my ears.  I've begged them to buy a new TV, but they refuse, saying "There's nothing wrong with this one."  Fine, except that's not even true - the picture doesn't work properly.  >:(

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #14922 on: February 18, 2014, 11:24:02 AM »
The posts of resturants running out of their most famous stuff reminds me of another thing that annoyed me. I must have bad luck eating out. I was running errands once so decided to stop for a quick bite to eat. The only fast food resturant in the area is McDonald's. They had a big sign on the door saying they were out of burgers. Seriously. I didn't go in as I wanted a burger. But McDonalds should never run out of burgers.

At least they warned you before you came in....

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14923 on: February 18, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
Katana, if you can turn on subtitles on your TV, it might help you enjoy the show better.

That reminds me of what drives me up the wall - my parents and their TV.  Both parents have hearing problems, but their TV is ancient and doesn't have subtitles, so their solution is to crank up the volume until it's literally hurting my ears.  I've begged them to buy a new TV, but they refuse, saying "There's nothing wrong with this one."  Fine, except that's not even true - the picture doesn't work properly.  >:(

Similar, but both very large flat panel TVs work fine. They like to have the one in their bedroom and the one in the living room, on, and on the same channel at a very loud level so it fills the whole house. I won't go over there for meal times if the TVs are on.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #14924 on: February 18, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »

If someone tries to tickle my feet.  I have extremely ticklish feet and will kick.  I've never intentionally kicked someone when they try tickling my feet.  It's a knee jerk reaction that I've tried stopping but haven't been able to.  I think it's a reflexive action for me.

I'll totally kick someone intentionally if they try to tickle my feet, as long as it's someone who knows better.  BF's gotten a few good kicks that way >:D

I stopped being ticklish because some people in high school held me down and tickled me (three to one) I suddenly got really angry, and started throwing them off of me.  Forgot to be ticklish.  From then on, I think I can't be tickled.  I can be startled, like when my dog licked my bare feet suddenly, but once I know he's there if he does it again, no reaction.

I once stepped on plywood and got a large hunk-o-wood in the ball of my foot.  When the doctor injected the local anesthetic, I kicked him with my other foot, HARD.  Pure reflex. He was very nice about it.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).