Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1692154 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14940 on: February 18, 2014, 10:29:39 PM »
A lack of walls.

Our building is set up so that the upstairs is a duplicate of the downstairs: two lunchrooms, two conference rooms and two reception desks.
The downstairs reception desk has a large lobby and work area, so it's actually sort of private.
My upstairs desk has a very small lobby and nearby offices. It's not very private.

I think out loud. I keep my voice very low, but it helps me work through problems.
I mutter very quietly but people walking by will make comments, even when I am clearly working on something.
I get that they are being social, and I don't think they realize how often they interrupt me, but it's irritating.

On top of this is phone calls. Our company has no issues with us taking the occasional personal call. But it's awkward to try to make a doctor appointment, or deal with a family issue when I know several nearby offices can hear me.

Carotte

« Reply #14941 on: February 19, 2014, 06:23:55 AM »
People come into the gas station where I work and either whisper, or talk really low. Then when I ask them to repeat themselves they speak really loud and really slow.

On the opposite side I have very very slight hearing issues, mostly I just can't hear certain volumes and tones.  Again it is very minor but I've hated it when I'm in an eating establishment that is a little loud and people talk without facing me or far away from me.  And sometimes I can see they get annoyed when I ask them to repeat themselves but I just cannot hear certain volumes in a noisy environment the same way someone like my DH can.

My hearing is wonky, several tinnitus and hyperacousia, so that some noises are amplified. I'll hear the kitchen clock bip faintly through a closed door, hallway and a support wall but in a noisy restaurant sometimes I'm just pretending I'm hearing people talk.
Earplugs help, I find they're good at filtering stuff outside the talking range, I even have a pair of molded musician earprotection from when I had really bad hyperacousia, that's what I wore everyday in class.
That's what I wear now when I go to the movies, I hate how loud it is! even for non-action, calm movies.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14942 on: February 19, 2014, 07:03:30 AM »
Pinterest telling me anytime the page is reloaded about the same activity.  Yes, I know so and so liked that pin, and whatshisface repinned that.  Once I've seen it, please keep the counter at 0 or I'll think there's something new to see!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #14943 on: February 19, 2014, 09:33:23 AM »
Ohh, memories of struggling to play that game then getting blamed for the bizarre turn the message took.

I thought the point of the game was the bizarre turns that the messages take.   ???

It was the blaming, and acting like I was really stupid though...

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #14944 on: February 19, 2014, 10:04:06 AM »
DH's work is very busy right now and he is putting in a lot of hours.  Fortunately, my work is not quite as heavy at the moment, so I've been taking on more of the house and kid stuff to give him a break.  I don't mind picking up the slack, but lately it feels like he's taking advantage of it and not being very appreciative.   Last night he worked late (unplanned) which left me dealing with not only all our typical evening stuff: dinner, homework, baths and bedtime, but I also had to leave work early to take one kid to the orthodontist and do our grocery shopping for the week.   When DH finally got home, instead of helping out, he immediately started playing a computer game and got snippy when asked for something.

For today It was already planned that he would do drop off this morning - DD is in Junior High and gets on the bus at 7, while DS is in elementary school and has to be dropped off/picked up at the before and after school care.  I'm doing the after school stuff which involves a lot of picking up and dropping off at their different activities and trying to keep on schedule.    I have a meeting at a customer site that's closer to our house than the office, so this morning I decided to work from home for a couple of hours, then go to the meeting.  As soon as I mentioned that, DH was trying to get me to take care of drop off too.  First he tried to get me to let DS ride the bus, which would be right in the middle of me trying to work.  Then he decided that he could take in DS, but he needed me to get DD on the bus since he had to be at work early.  And when he asks for stuff like that he'll say it's fine to say no, but when I do say no he acts put out.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14945 on: February 19, 2014, 10:17:48 AM »
The healthcare industry.  I used my insurance carrier's PCP search engine, and found a doctor I thought I'd like (within easy walking distance!), so I made them my PCP.  I called for an appointment, only to be transferred to their other office, three miles away, because apparently that's where she practices now.  GAH.  To make matters worse, that was the only doctor in my network that had all the features I wanted and was within walking distance, so I basically have to suck it up and take buses ($3 each way) to see my doctor, instead a brisk, healthy walk.  Close to an hour of travel time instead of minutes.

I know, I know, first world problems, but really?

Shalamar

« Reply #14946 on: February 19, 2014, 10:44:14 AM »
I want6ed to scream at them "For Crying Out Loud, answer the baby!" 

Ugh, I was once in a Zellers (used to be Canada's version of Target, sort of), and there was a little girl about 4 years old asking her mother a question.  It was a very reasonable question - "What's that?", or something similar.  The mother ignored her, preferring to chat with her friend.  The little girl went from a normal tone to shrieking and sobbing because the STUPID WOMAN WOULDN'T ANSWER HER.  (Ahem.  Excuse my temper, but it just made my blood boil.)

audhs

« Reply #14947 on: February 19, 2014, 10:56:49 AM »
This morning I really needed to run out and pick up the supplies I need to make my girls costumes for the brownie dance this weekend but my usually content and happy one year old is in a mood and needed to be put back to bed after I put my other two on the bus.  I really wanted to get all this done first thing this morning., so that I could get a start on their costumes in the afternoon while the baby napped.  Now I'll probably have to wait till tomorrow to start because if she sleeps now she won't this afternoon.   :(

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14948 on: February 19, 2014, 11:02:36 AM »
Another pinterest gripe.  Clicking on a pin that looks like it will lead you to either a recipe, how to directions, or article that you want, only to find it leads to a picture.  Oy.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14949 on: February 19, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »
When you get blamed for something someone else did. Even worse, getting yelled at for it.

No one gets to yell at me.  >:(

Betelnut

« Reply #14950 on: February 19, 2014, 12:25:40 PM »
This morning I really needed to run out and pick up the supplies I need to make my girls costumes for the brownie dance this weekend but my usually content and happy one year old is in a mood and needed to be put back to bed after I put my other two on the bus.  I really wanted to get all this done first thing this morning., so that I could get a start on their costumes in the afternoon while the baby napped.  Now I'll probably have to wait till tomorrow to start because if she sleeps now she won't this afternoon.   :(

The other day I literally started crying because I just wanted to get out the door and do my thing but the kid wouldn't cooperate.  I do mourn the loss of the freedom to just come and go as I please.   :(
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14951 on: February 19, 2014, 01:52:48 PM »
My sympathy for those with  uncooperative little ones.   Mine's been a bit of a pill today as well. 

We have a guinea pig in the living room and until today her food was kept in a cabinet next to her cage.  Reason I say "until today" is that I'd been cleaning up the office and then heard an "Oh NO! Big mess!"  ::)  Piratebabe had spread a good amount of the food all over the floor.  So I had to vacuum that up and he spent some time in his portajail.

Just now I was in the kitchen making lunch for the two of us and came in the living room to find the little guy had drawn over himself with a permanent marker one of his older brothers left on a shelf. Apparently the little man climbed up on the couch to get to it and drew all over his hands and face.

At least he didn't draw on walls or anything but himself but good grief.   ::)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14952 on: February 19, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
My sympathy for those with  uncooperative little ones.   Mine's been a bit of a pill today as well. 

We have a guinea pig in the living room and until today her food was kept in a cabinet next to her cage.  Reason I say "until today" is that I'd been cleaning up the office and then heard an "Oh NO! Big mess!"  ::)  Piratebabe had spread a good amount of the food all over the floor.  So I had to vacuum that up and he spent some time in his portajail.

Just now I was in the kitchen making lunch for the two of us and came in the living room to find the little guy had drawn over himself with a permanent marker one of his older brothers left on a shelf. Apparently the little man climbed up on the couch to get to it and drew all over his hands and face.

At least he didn't draw on walls or anything but himself but good grief.   ::)

Portajail - that made me giggle.  He sounds like me as a child, very inquisitive, and couldn't be left alone for more than a few seconds :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14953 on: February 19, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
On second thought...at least walls and furniture don't wiggle and kick when you're trying to wipe permanent marker off them.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #14954 on: February 19, 2014, 04:56:49 PM »
Facebook drama.  ::)

I've been on Facebook for three years now and have witnessed one brief fight on someone else's page but nothing on my own or in any conversations I've been part of - until the day before yesterday.

Person A was what I call a "courtesy friend": someone I know peripherally but don't hang out with at all. I actually intentionally limited my contact with her because whenever I talked to her she would tell me about some fight she'd gotten into with someone, which set off some alarm bells.

Anyway, the other day she posted about something she'd seen at Large Pet Products Store that made her mad. Everyone who responded, including me, replied that they thought it was uncool, also. Then one of Person A's friends, Person B, posted that NO ONE should EVER shop at ANY Large Pet Products Store because they are EVIL and SHE buys all her supplies at INDEPENDENT LOCAL places. She made frequent use of shrill, hysterical all caps.

I replied that I was stuck with Large Pet Products Store for reasons of volume and pricing. Person B proceeded to have an absolute name-calling, sanctimonious fit which included informing me that I'm living beyond my means, ruining the economy, setting a bad example, possibly poisoning my animals, and "bowing to my corporate overlords."

Person C then chimed in, calling me a *&@#*$ and a &*@#$@& and an ignorant %*^&@#.

Person A's silence and failure to address the nastiness spoke volumes even though she didn't post herself, and thus I unfriended her and no longer support the organization she runs, which I'd donated to previously.

All this over where I choose to buy cat food. I'm going to "bow to my corporate overlords" this Friday during my lunch hour and will be sure to buy something extra in honor of Person A, B, and C.  ;D

Esan ozenki!

Arizona