Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1563084 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14955 on: February 19, 2014, 05:48:51 PM »

'm going to "bow to my corporate overlords" this Friday during my lunch hour and will be sure to buy something extra in honor of Person A, B, and C.  ;D

Could you pick me up some cat litter while you're there? We're out, and that's a dire thing at our house.

Something heavily scented with Chemicals, if you please.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

magicdomino

« Reply #14956 on: February 19, 2014, 05:53:19 PM »
Personally, I bow to my feline overlords.  If they prefer stuff from Large Pet Products Store, then I must obey.

BarensMom

« Reply #14957 on: February 19, 2014, 05:54:47 PM »
Could you pick Baren up 3 bags of Texas Toothpicks while you're there? ;D

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #14958 on: February 19, 2014, 06:10:06 PM »
Personally, I bow to my feline overlords.  If they prefer stuff from Large Pet Products Store, then I must obey.

I really, really wish I'd thought to say that at the time.  :D

Ms_Cellany and BarensMom: Will do. I'm not familiar with Texas Toothpicks and am intrigued.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

squeakers

« Reply #14959 on: February 19, 2014, 06:14:12 PM »

I really, really wish I'd thought to say that at the time.  :D

Ms_Cellany and BarensMom: Will do. I'm not familiar with Texas Toothpicks and am intrigued.

I just looked them up: dried cow tail pieces.  Not for small dogs according to the reviews on amazon which is a shame because I am always looking for new treats for my Chi crew.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #14960 on: February 19, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »
Could you pick Baren up 3 bags of Texas Toothpicks while you're there? ;D

Google tells me that those are raccoon baculums....  :/
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

gmatoy

« Reply #14961 on: February 19, 2014, 08:44:16 PM »
Buying a pattern and finding out that there is no real pattern, just instructions on how to make a pattern and instructions on how to do the sewing. I think that if there is not a pattern in the envelope, you should have to call it an instruction pamphlet! I am going to ask from now on, since it has happened to me twice and my disability makes it difficult to actually make the pattern.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #14962 on: February 19, 2014, 09:03:57 PM »
My sympathy for those with  uncooperative little ones.   Mine's been a bit of a pill today as well. 

We have a guinea pig in the living room and until today her food was kept in a cabinet next to her cage.  Reason I say "until today" is that I'd been cleaning up the office and then heard an "Oh NO! Big mess!"  ::)  Piratebabe had spread a good amount of the food all over the floor.  So I had to vacuum that up and he spent some time in his portajail.

Just now I was in the kitchen making lunch for the two of us and came in the living room to find the little guy had drawn over himself with a permanent marker one of his older brothers left on a shelf. Apparently the little man climbed up on the couch to get to it and drew all over his hands and face.

At least he didn't draw on walls or anything but himself but good grief.   ::)

I did the same thing, but it was one of my dad's permanent markers from his office (as in, at his place of work), and I was 7. Don't ask me why I thought red permanent marker looked good on my stomach, but the scrubbing Mom did that night made me never want to do that again. She wasn't trying to hurt me; it's just that permanent marker doesn't come off easily with soap and water. We were going to visit relatives the next day, and Mom didn't want me looking like a fool.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14963 on: February 19, 2014, 09:34:29 PM »
At least marker will eventually wear off of skin...it's not quite so bad as waiting for hair to grow back.  ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14964 on: February 19, 2014, 09:41:46 PM »
Buying a pattern and finding out that there is no real pattern, just instructions on how to make a pattern and instructions on how to do the sewing. I think that if there is not a pattern in the envelope, you should have to call it an instruction pamphlet! I am going to ask from now on, since it has happened to me twice and my disability makes it difficult to actually make the pattern.

This reminds me of another one: Finding a really cute cross stitch design but the pattern not being crisp enough to clearly see the grid lines when printed out, which makes it hard to tell how many stitches there are in a row or column. Or when there's no clear color key, either, especially when there are a few different shades of a color.

I suppose part of it is because some of them are free patterns and you get what you pay for.  In some cases I've gotten creative with some good results, actually.  Like there was one I did recently of a mermaid.  It involved a few different colors in the tail.  Instead of changing floss a few times to finish the design I tried a technique called blending that involves a thread of regular floss and a thread of metallic floss. :) It ended up looking really neat, as I used a multi colored metallic floss so the stitches of the tail looked like sparkly scales. :)

But not all patterns are as suited to such adaptions. :)

As for hair growing back...there's a girl in our church who cut her own hair.  It did not look good and one woman said "Well why don't they fix it?" Well the girl cut it pretty short and I guess they did fix it as much as they were able to and she still looks adorable.  I know if one of my boys did that to their hair I'd have to take them to a barber as I certainly wouldn't be able to do any better than the child did.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Psychopoesie

« Reply #14965 on: February 19, 2014, 11:41:55 PM »
Small annoyance but it does bug me sometimes. Posts that use the abbreviations for US states instead of spelling them out. I can figure out a few of the obvious ones - New York, New
Jersey, California, Florida, for example.  I'm not sure I ever learned to the names of all 50 states, let alone the abbreviations. Haven't noticed it with other countries - maybe because most forum members are US and it's assumed knowledge. Figure a state's been mentioned because it's relevant to a post. Often wish posters would take pity of those of us who live elsewhere and spell it out once before abbreviating.

Hillia

« Reply #14966 on: February 20, 2014, 12:47:10 AM »
My sympathy for those with  uncooperative little ones.   Mine's been a bit of a pill today as well. 

We have a guinea pig in the living room and until today her food was kept in a cabinet next to her cage.  Reason I say "until today" is that I'd been cleaning up the office and then heard an "Oh NO! Big mess!"  ::)  Piratebabe had spread a good amount of the food all over the floor.  So I had to vacuum that up and he spent some time in his portajail.

Just now I was in the kitchen making lunch for the two of us and came in the living room to find the little guy had drawn over himself with a permanent marker one of his older brothers left on a shelf. Apparently the little man climbed up on the couch to get to it and drew all over his hands and face.

I did the same thing, but it was one of my dad's permanent markers from his office (as in, at his place of work), and I was 7. Don't ask me why I thought red permanent marker looked good on my stomach, but the scrubbing Mom did that night made me never want to do that again. She wasn't trying to hurt me; it's just that permanent marker doesn't come off easily with soap and water. We were going to visit relatives the next day, and Mom didn't want me looking like a fool.

When DS was very little, under 2, he stayed with an in home child care provider.  This lady's husband came home every day at 4:30, so around 4:15 she'd get the kids settled (she only had 3, I think) and take out her makeup kit and 'do her face'.  DS was fascinated with this, and we had a rough patch where he was applying 'lipstick' and 'nail polish' with markers.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

perpetua

« Reply #14967 on: February 20, 2014, 02:36:43 AM »
People who boast about how much they read and/or how many books they buy, like 'being a reader' automatically makes them some kind of superior being.

Of course not everyone who reads a lot is like this, but there is a definite 'type' who do this, and they're really annoying.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14968 on: February 20, 2014, 06:41:41 AM »

When DS was very little, under 2, he stayed with an in home child care provider.  This lady's husband came home every day at 4:30, so around 4:15 she'd get the kids settled (she only had 3, I think) and take out her makeup kit and 'do her face'.  DS was fascinated with this, and we had a rough patch where he was applying 'lipstick' and 'nail polish' with markers.

One morning I put my makeup bag in the diaper bag before running off for church.  Later that day one of my older two was changing the diaper and yelled down he needed wipes.  The other child, instead of just grabbing the wipes out of the bag, just carried the whole bag upstairs and left it there.  Now I didn't realize this until I went up later to put the 2 year old back in his bed for naptime and found he'd gotten into my makeup.

It wasn't too bad really, just a small smear of eyeshadow on his cheek, but he'd taken everything out of the little pouch and was looking up at me with a brush in each hand like "What do I do next?"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14969 on: February 20, 2014, 06:49:29 AM »
People who boast about how much they read and/or how many books they buy, like 'being a reader' automatically makes them some kind of superior being.

Of course not everyone who reads a lot is like this, but there is a definite 'type' who do this, and they're really annoying.

True, but it is more annoying to run into people who boast about not reading.