Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1648563 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14970 on: February 20, 2014, 07:08:00 AM »
People who boast about how much they read and/or how many books they buy, like 'being a reader' automatically makes them some kind of superior being.

Of course not everyone who reads a lot is like this, but there is a definite 'type' who do this, and they're really annoying.

Throw in with that, people who boast about not owning a television, like they're the unmentioned Fifth Horseman.

menley

« Reply #14971 on: February 20, 2014, 08:13:29 AM »
How flimsy blueberry containers are... this is the second time in a week that one has fallen out of the fridge, landed on the floor, and popped open to an explosion of blueberries across the floor. Sigh.

On that note, I've read that washing fruits in apple cider vinegar is a good way to get bacteria, etc. off - think that'd be sufficient to wash off berries that spilled all over the floor? Or should I toss them?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14972 on: February 20, 2014, 08:30:21 AM »
On that note, I've read that washing fruits in apple cider vinegar is a good way to get bacteria, etc. off - think that'd be sufficient to wash off berries that spilled all over the floor? Or should I toss them?

I think they'd be fine if you do this.  Rinse well with water afterwards and I'd eat them.  But then, I abide by the 5 second rule so I might not be the best person to ask.  :D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #14973 on: February 20, 2014, 08:43:30 AM »
People who boast about how much they read and/or how many books they buy, like 'being a reader' automatically makes them some kind of superior being.

Of course not everyone who reads a lot is like this, but there is a definite 'type' who do this, and they're really annoying.

There is also the type of person who brags about what type of books they read. I find this really annoying as they tend to look down on the type of books they don't find worthy. I have known people who find out I read bestsellers ( I really like Stephen King and Tess  Gerritsen) fantasy and Christian romance like those ones set in Amish country that I am stupid. Its not reading unless you are reading high literature non fiction or classics. I don't care what people read or don't read unless its something we both do and can talk about it together.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14974 on: February 20, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »

Throw in with that, people who boast about not owning a television, like they're the unmentioned Fifth Horseman.

That would bug me too.  We have a tv, but don't have cable or satellite.  Well no cable for the tv anyway, we do have internet through the cable company. For us it was a matter of trying to save money to pay off other bills, which has really helped.  There are some shows I do miss watching, like Switched At Birth, and it seems you can't watch them online on ABCfam either unless you sign in with whoever you have cable/satellite.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14975 on: February 20, 2014, 09:33:46 AM »
People who walk about in a perfume cloud.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14976 on: February 20, 2014, 09:47:15 AM »

There is also the type of person who brags about what type of books they read. I find this really annoying as they tend to look down on the type of books they don't find worthy. I have known people who find out I read bestsellers ( I really like Stephen King and Tess  Gerritsen) fantasy and Christian romance like those ones set in Amish country that I am stupid. Its not reading unless you are reading high literature non fiction or classics. I don't care what people read or don't read unless its something we both do and can talk about it together.

I hate this too. I ready pretty much anything that looks remotely interesting, and that strikes my mood at any given time. So fiction, non-fiction, some romance, some YA stuff, mysteries, etc etc etc. The only thing I'm not really that into is Westerns and most sci-fi/fantasy. I have gotten into some, and am trying to broaden my horizens, but I'm like the guy in the one Twilight Zone episode, just not enough time.

I have a family member who ONLY reads non-fiction and history. WHich is great, but she kind of thinks she's superior to others since she "learns" and doens't read any fiction. Whatever, but that certainly doesn't make you any better than anyone else! We're close enough when she starts in with that, I then remind her she watches every trashy reality show out there.... >:D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #14977 on: February 20, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »

My router failing. Son of a motherless goat!
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14978 on: February 20, 2014, 09:56:33 AM »
Reading fiction often got me interested enough in the subject, setting or time period to learn more about it so I'd count reading fiction as learning. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14979 on: February 20, 2014, 10:04:43 AM »
Reading fiction often got me interested enough in the subject, setting or time period to learn more about it so I'd count reading fiction as learning. :)

Reading fiction can be very educational.  A novel set in a time or place new to me can send me looking for the reality.

On the opposite end, I once had a co-worker who was extremely proud that she never read non-fiction. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14980 on: February 20, 2014, 10:13:03 AM »

True, but it is more annoying to run into people who boast about not reading.

Yes. Including highly educated people I work with. It makes me wonder if they read the email attachments sent, and then I usually discover why they don't have a clue at the meetings.

perpetua

« Reply #14981 on: February 20, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »

*nods* - that really bugs me too.  Someone I occasionally keep up with on Twitter does this: constantly posts pictures of the high-brow books she's reading and how many of them she's got on the go and then posts things like 'I buy books like other women buy clothes'. But you know what? Look a bit closer at the pictures and you'll see the bookmarks are all 50 pages in, tops. It's all about the bragging.

I used to read a lot. I always had my nose stuck in a book. These days my attention span just isn't long enough to bother. And you know what - I'm *fine* with that. It is what it is. Anyone who looks down on me for that isn't someone I'd want in my life anyway.

And hey, some people just don't enjoy reading and that's fine too. Doesn't make them any less intelligent. Intelligence comes in different forms; when I occasionally find myself ruminating on how I haven't picked up a book in two years I remember that not everyone can read and interpret a concerto, and all's right with the world again :)

Xandraea

« Reply #14982 on: February 20, 2014, 10:23:34 AM »
People who walk about in a perfume cloud.

YES!! I swear, no fewer than 3 times this week I've literally choked on someone's fragrance cloud, before I even knew the person was there. I had to leave the aisle at one store, and hold my breath until my drink was ready at the coffee shop, twice. My allergies/asthma kick in and I'm wheezing for another hour. SO irritating.

I lived in the south for 2 years and sang in the choir at a large baptist church I attended while there.  Easter Sunday was THE absolute worst, as it seemed everybody felt the need to bathe in perfume, overuse hairspray and all manner of "smelly" things some seem to feel necessary when dressing up.  I walked through several clouds left behind in now-empty hallways and had to make the choice whether to try to sing through the wheezing and sniffling and sneezing, or take a Benadryl which would put me straight to sleep.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14983 on: February 20, 2014, 11:19:49 AM »
Our minivan.  M is stuck at work with what MIGHT be a dead battery.  Or a dead alternator.  All we know is, van no start.  GAH.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14984 on: February 20, 2014, 11:21:18 AM »

Reading fiction can be very educational.  A novel set in a time or place new to me can send me looking for the reality.

On the opposite end, I once had a co-worker who was extremely proud that she never read non-fiction.
Something I've run into but just cannot wrap my head around -- the notion that fiction = made-up = lies.  Because it "never really happened" (or in the case of SF/fantasy, "can't really happen.")  What a dreadful, drab way to live, with no color or imagination!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~