Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1737698 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15030 on: February 24, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
Sort of along the same lines as people who think you can't be smart if you don't read for fun (which annoys me also)--people who think you have to enjoy music on a "deep" level. They say things like "music is my life!" and make fun of people who only really listen to music on their ipod on the bus, or (gasp!) the radio.

How about people who "don't hear the lyrics" and find it weird that the lyrics are what identifies a song for you?

My ex is an instrumental musician and totally dismissive of lyrics. To him, they're completely throwaway in almost every case. I enjoy the instrumental part of music, but I'm a lyrics person first, always have been. I enjoy them as an art form in themselves, similar but slightly different from poetry, and while some lyrics are vapid, I really love well-written ones. Yes, we had many, many arguments about this.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15031 on: February 24, 2014, 01:56:17 PM »
On another hand, I can't stand people who have music playing constantly. No, I don't hate music - I listen to it to the exclusion of all else. I can't think, read, perform a complex task, because I stop to listen to the music.

I have trouble with movies and tv shows. I can't count the times I've listened to the background music and forgotten to pay attention to the dialogue or even watched what activities the performers were going through. I even stopped dead in the aisle at Walmart the other day because they were playing one of my favorite songs.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #15032 on: February 24, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
Sort of along the same lines as people who think you can't be smart if you don't read for fun (which annoys me also)--people who think you have to enjoy music on a "deep" level. They say things like "music is my life!" and make fun of people who only really listen to music on their ipod on the bus, or (gasp!) the radio.

On the other end of things, people who will pull your headphones off on the bus or in a waiting room because it's apparently rude to listen to music in public...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15033 on: February 24, 2014, 02:13:11 PM »
Add to the above: People who wear headphones in meetings or class. I am so glad there is a zero tolerance policy for that in most of my classes.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15034 on: February 24, 2014, 02:19:28 PM »

On the other end of things, people who will pull your headphones off on the bus or in a waiting room because it's apparently rude to listen to music in public...

Wow, people actually do this?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #15035 on: February 24, 2014, 02:34:29 PM »

I've had it done to me. Bus person got extremely defensive about how they apparently thought I was someone else (I didn't say a word, so I really don't know what brought that on) and waiting room person gave me the "you are a very naughty little girl" look and proceeded to stare at me until I was called back for my appointment, I suppose in case I put the headphones back on. Thankfully she was gone by the time I was done.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #15036 on: February 24, 2014, 03:05:18 PM »
The "why did you bother asking" folks.

One of my secondary duties at work is that I write our procedures.
All our procedures except those dealing with management-level confidential stuff.

Today, someone asked me about how to do something in my department.
You know, the department I am literally writing the book on.

CW: "I want to do X. What do I have to do?"

Me: "As long as A is done, just take it to Suzy, tell her what you need and she'll do it."

CW: "Okay. Let me go ask George."

CW proceeds to go tell George (I heard the conversation) "White Dragon says that Suzy can do X, as long as A is done. Do I have to do A?"

George: "No, don't bother with A." (Actually, his answer was quite a bit stronger than that.)

I can't do anything about George, he is way senior to me. And lately he keeps deciding he doesn't have to follow any procedures.  (Three times today already.)

I may be more than a little bit aggravated.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15037 on: February 24, 2014, 03:38:09 PM »

I've had it done to me. Bus person got extremely defensive about how they apparently thought I was someone else (I didn't say a word, so I really don't know what brought that on) and waiting room person gave me the "you are a very naughty little girl" look and proceeded to stare at me until I was called back for my appointment, I suppose in case I put the headphones back on. Thankfully she was gone by the time I was done.

I suppose I ought to be less surprised than I am, after all the stories I've read here on ehell. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #15038 on: February 24, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
Pushy people.  Yesterday at church a new person sat next to me after the service and started pushing instantly to have a girl's day out, didn't I want to have some girl time? Nice earrings, you know she makes jewelry, she could make anything, don't I want to go shopping? Her "friend" could watch the baby (meanwhile said "Friend" is shaking his head which she's fully ignoring) She never asked for money but they kept pushing for me to meet them in the park and she kept pushing for me to go out shopping, which I kept turning down. 

They kept leaning in and while I wasn't fully cornered, I couldn't help but feel claustrophobic.

Thankfully the little guy took that opportunity to run across the hall and I was able to get up and say "Sorry, gatta go catch the kid!" While I was away from them, another woman who had been helping out with the church's free meal the day before warned me that this couple had been telling different stories to different folks and asking for either money or rides.

If you were in CO (Colorado!), I'd say you were dealing with Bio*Mom.  After she got kicked out of where she was living and lost her job, she started to ask if she could take Six to church.  We rarely if ever deny visits (usually only when it just is not possible or just not safe), so of course Six goes to church the first week.  The second week, same thing.  It only took the second week for it to get around to us that Bio*Mom was telling everyone she was a single mom whose husband kicked her and Six out, they had no where to stay, nothing to eat, couldn't they please have some money?

*logical/waste
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

immadz

« Reply #15039 on: February 24, 2014, 05:39:35 PM »
Facebook drama.  ::)

I've been on Facebook for three years now and have witnessed one brief fight on someone else's page but nothing on my own or in any conversations I've been part of - until the day before yesterday.

Person A was what I call a "courtesy friend": someone I know peripherally but don't hang out with at all. I actually intentionally limited my contact with her because whenever I talked to her she would tell me about some fight she'd gotten into with someone, which set off some alarm bells.

Anyway, the other day she posted about something she'd seen at Large Pet Products Store that made her mad. Everyone who responded, including me, replied that they thought it was uncool, also. Then one of Person A's friends, Person B, posted that NO ONE should EVER shop at ANY Large Pet Products Store because they are EVIL and SHE buys all her supplies at INDEPENDENT LOCAL places. She made frequent use of shrill, hysterical all caps.

I replied that I was stuck with Large Pet Products Store for reasons of volume and pricing. Person B proceeded to have an absolute name-calling, sanctimonious fit which included informing me that I'm living beyond my means, ruining the economy, setting a bad example, possibly poisoning my animals, and "bowing to my corporate overlords."

Person C then chimed in, calling me a *&@#*$ and a &*@#$@& and an ignorant %*^&@#.

Person A's silence and failure to address the nastiness spoke volumes even though she didn't post herself, and thus I unfriended her and no longer support the organization she runs, which I'd donated to previously.

All this over where I choose to buy cat food. I'm going to "bow to my corporate overlords" this Friday during my lunch hour and will be sure to buy something extra in honor of Person A, B, and C.  ;D

You have non-feline overlords? Do the real overlords know?

poundcake

« Reply #15040 on: February 24, 2014, 05:44:09 PM »
The phrase "so to speak". It just makes my neck crawl.

I feel the same way about "being that __." It doesn't even make grammatical sense, and it's just annoying.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15041 on: February 24, 2014, 07:12:26 PM »
Pushy people.  Yesterday at church a new person sat next to me after the service and started pushing instantly to have a girl's day out, didn't I want to have some girl time? Nice earrings, you know she makes jewelry, she could make anything, don't I want to go shopping? Her "friend" could watch the baby (meanwhile said "Friend" is shaking his head which she's fully ignoring) She never asked for money but they kept pushing for me to meet them in the park and she kept pushing for me to go out shopping, which I kept turning down. 

They kept leaning in and while I wasn't fully cornered, I couldn't help but feel claustrophobic.

Thankfully the little guy took that opportunity to run across the hall and I was able to get up and say "Sorry, gatta go catch the kid!" While I was away from them, another woman who had been helping out with the church's free meal the day before warned me that this couple had been telling different stories to different folks and asking for either money or rides.

If you were in CO (Colorado!), I'd say you were dealing with Bio*Mom.  After she got kicked out of where she was living and lost her job, she started to ask if she could take Six to church.  We rarely if ever deny visits (usually only when it just is not possible or just not safe), so of course Six goes to church the first week.  The second week, same thing.  It only took the second week for it to get around to us that Bio*Mom was telling everyone she was a single mom whose husband kicked her and Six out, they had no where to stay, nothing to eat, couldn't they please have some money?

*logical/waste

Well she had mentioned having a daughter so I suggested she bring the daughter with her since we have a Sunday school program along with Children's chapel (done during the first half of the service which is typically the hardest for kids to sit through.)

Big mistake. I then got treated to how she didn't have custody of her child due to health issues, living on the street for a time and now the mom was reluctant to hand over the custody. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #15042 on: February 24, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »
By the same token, don't call me a Luddite because I refuse to have an e-reader.  I don't care that others have them and I think they're nifty inventions, but they're just not for me.  I've heard all the reasons why I should have one, but looking at any type of computer screen for any length of time makes my eyes go wonky.  It has nothing to do with the glare or backlighting or size of the font.

Since having two eye surgeries I have to take breaks from computer screens several times a day or the text starts acting like it's forming waves.  I also love the feel and smell of traditional books and will never part with mine.  If ever there comes a time when traditional books are no longer published I'll adjust.  Right now, just let me enjoy my books.
I don't think we will come to that after all the printing press, movies, TV were all supposed to end books and they are still around. I'm the opposite. Being about to adjust the size and color of the Text helps control my dyslexia.

I love audio books. I listen to them while driving, doing cleaning the house, working in the garden. NO that doesn't make me a nonreader.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15043 on: February 24, 2014, 09:06:42 PM »
I have a Kindle but I also have print books and they do have their use.  I like to read when taking baths but am too nervous to use my Kindle then so the print books come in handy that way.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #15044 on: February 24, 2014, 09:10:22 PM »
I have a Kindle but I also have print books and they do have their use.  I like to read when taking baths but am too nervous to use my Kindle then so the print books come in handy that way.

Ziploc bag  ;)